Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Been waiting for the ideal low end/mid range Windows phone to be released and have been eyeing up the HTC 8X for a while but I'm glad I waited as I recieved my Lumia 620 yesterday and thought I'd share some thoughts on it.

All the pictures were taken on my iPad mini so excuse the quality!

Hardware:
img0107.jpg
img0110.jpg
img0111.jpg

I opted for the black model as garishly shiny coloured plastic just isn't my thing (but options are nice for those that want it!) and it feels rather nice in the hand.

The screen is really good for such a low priced handset with the Clearblack stuff doing exactly what it's designed to. My only niggle with the screen is the low resolution but, when I see what these things cost, I can more than live with the thing.

Here it is on full brightness next to me Nexus 4 - click for full size:
screen1.jpg
screen2.jpg

The low PPI does destroy zoomed out text but with a little pinch to zoom, it soon clears up.
screen3.jpg

The big surprise for me was how much brighter the whites are and how cooler looking the Nexus 4 is when on max brightness.

Camera is adequate for such a low end device but nothing special (not that you'd expect anything groundbreaking at the sub £150 to £200 price range these sell for). My egg Macro shot below did surprise me. With the right light and a steady hand, it isn't too bad at all!

Click for full size:
wp20130418.jpg
wp20130419.jpg

The SD card slot on the thing enabled me to add an instant boost of 16GB from an old card I had in my old ZTE Blade which is great. It's only a shame you can't load apps onto expandable storage as one or two large apps will soon fill up the internal memory of the Lumia.

wpss201304.png

Software:

First the Nokia extras that come with the phone. In a word, brlliant! Nokia Music and Nokia Here Drive+ Beta are superb.

I had a quick test of Here Drive on the way home and not only was the navigation great, the speed limits and warnings when I crept over them (only by one or two mph! :eek:) were extremely handy. Add to that offline maps from many, many countries are on offer and it's a very potent mapping solution. I have the whole UK maps on mine which was around a 250 megabyte download.

Likewise, Nokia Music provides a decent service to stream a musical genre of your choosing over the air for free.

Not bad at all Nokia on these two apps alone.

Windows Phone 8

Windows Phone 8 on glides on the thing. It's great to see that the smoothness I experienced using WP7.5 on my HTC Titan and WP7 on my Omnia 7 remains, even on this low end gear. I don't think I've seen a low to mid range Android device perform as this one does.

I do struggle typing in portrait on the smaller screen and wish that MS would have at least spread the keyboard across the width of the screen in landscape as it is still a little squished when in that orientation.
wpss201304.jpg

My only big issues is the app selection on WP8 still lags behind Android and iOS. This is exacerbated further for me due to the complete lack of support from Google for the platform. As I extensively use Google services across Android and iOS its crappy to see that Google haven't given WP the same love. I do hope this changes with as the platform matures and grows.

Other than that, it's refreshing to use something completely different again. I think that the hardware that Nokia are putting out coupled with WP8 is a great combo and am pleased to once again own a Nokia phone. It's already made me want to give a higher end Lumia a try.

This isn't an extensive review and there is a lot more I'd need to cover for some a definitive conclusion on it but I do like what Nokia have managed to do for the prospective budget conscious smartphone buyer. Worth checking out as a secondary device to see what WP8 is all about! :D

Last edited:

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I'm using a 920 right now and I love it, but the total lack of Google anything being available is what's killing me the most. Lots of little things annoy me about WP8, but I can say the same for iOS and Android. In general I think it's a great OS that will probably keep getting better, but MS and Google aren't playing nice on this one so I think I have to jump ship and go to an Android phone for a while. There are a lot of things that google does that I need on a daily basis, and some other apps here and there that won't be on WP8 for a long time if ever.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I had the 8X (now there is a phone that you could certainly rip to shreds because of the power button) and it was nice phone but for me with windows mobile I felt

1) HD displays whilst better in the browser, everywhere else on the phone felt like it was over kill, and a missed opportunity with no major difference to QHD devices due to the metro interface.

2) App Store selection yep was brutal, I had less than a tenth of the apps I use regularly available to me and localisation meant even the good ones on windows mobile were not available regardless.

3) contacts... A bug bear from 7, still in 8. Why is the telephone number of the contact in people so bloody small and Indistinct.

4) windows 8 mobile if you have a lot of tiles can get very messy and can be actually harder to discern notifications. It really needs some easier notification hub of some description.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I got my replacement iPhone 4 back after the power button failed.
img201qhq.jpg

The pair are very comparable size wise, with the Lumia being a little chunkier.

A few days in and I have some minor niggles with autocorrect on the Lumia and IE seems to make a pigs ear of some websites.

Really hard to say which I prefer when it comes to the iPhone and the Lumia but I will say its been great spending some time with Windows phone again.

Lucky we have the choices we have today!

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
The 620 looks like a nice low cost phone. Certainly a lot better than the entry level Android phones which are pretty much all crap. WP8 itself also isn't a bad OS, it's got a nice slick UI, it's smooth, and it does what it should.

The lack of Google services is a big problem though, and I don't think it'll be fixed anytime soon. Google and Microsoft are direct competitors for web services these days and neither company has any real motivation to make Google stuff work on Windows Phone.

Plus I hate Microsoft's cloud services. Not because the services are particularly unreliable or anything, but because Microsoft seems to have no trouble looking through your data and closing your account without warning if you have boobies on it. Very ironic after their "Scroogle" ads where they criticised Google's privacy policies.

Speaking personally for myself, the underdog platform I'm most interested in right now is BB10. OP, you seem to buy a lot of phones, if you get a BB10 device I'd like to see a writeup of that too. I've used the Z10 a lot and I really like it, I might even get one instead of the S3 I was planning to update to.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
I've been thinking about getting a low cost WP to go along with my iPhone 5. From looking around on ebay it looks like I can get a Lumia 820 for under $200. I may get that after checking out some reviews.

tensiondeadache

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Southern California
I've been considering the 620 or the 720 as a spare/second phone, and of course out curiosity. My none too technical sister bought the 610 and I was astonished at the slickness of the end user experience.

I have a Telcel 610 to use in Mexico (though I can now just pop the SIM into my Nexus 4 on Telcel's GSM network), and can't bring my self to get rid of it. Low spec, but still a true smartphone in every sense of the word.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Something that still calling my name is skype integration, when i had lumia 900 i was hoping included with 7.8 update but nope, i ditched the phone once police returned my stolen phones.

I really like windows phone, only problem is the amount if garbage in store.

Battery life was pretty awesome !

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I have noticed a lot of spammy and duplicate apps in the Windows Phone store. It's very akin to the early days of Android Market but most of my staple apps are there.

There are two things I hope that eventually happen (and look like they will)

1. Windows phone gains momentum.
2. It gains enough momentum that Google cant afford to not support the platform.

I'm seriously considering swapping the iPhone 4 for a few months and using the 620 exclusively for my work phone.

Seriously tough to choose between the two!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.