Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RUGERMAN

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
I have a friend that just got a new Samsung and claims it does everything and more than my 3gs that I got for $0 vs his $150. My question is will it sync my calendar appointments with my computer and iPad and sync my music. contacts, bookmarks etc. He says it will but of doesn't know how to do that yet.Of course facetime on the Iphone 4 is another nice feature. Will it handle that? I've looked around the Net and have not found any info one way or another. I'm sure it's a nice device but being able to sync my calendar and everything else is a deal breaker for me no matter what else it may or may not do.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Syncing is possible but would require that you switch everything over to an Exchange server, or to Google.

Facetime is a no-go.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
I have a friend that just got a new Samsung and claims it does everything and more than my 3gs that I got for $0 vs his $150. My question is will it sync my calendar appointments with my computer and iPad and sync my music. contacts, bookmarks etc. He says it will but of doesn't know how to do that yet.

Yes. There are multiple ways to do it. On Android phones, I find that the easiest way to sync contacts and bookmarks is to use a Google account and sync through that.

I manually sync my music by copying files. This is probably not the way most people like to do it. It is also possible to use Windows Media Player to sync music. Google Music is a service that does that as well. Since you have a 3GS, I assume you currently use iTunes. Someone more familiar with iTunes and syncing music to Android would be better at answering your question.

Of course facetime on the Iphone 4 is another nice feature. Will it handle that? I've looked around the Net and have not found any info one way or another.

When you say Facetime, I assume that you mean the Apple-only feature and not video conferencing in general. Facetime is Apple only and Apple does not make that feature available on non-Apple devices.

If you mean video conferencing in general, then there are a wide variety of different ways you can video conference with people on a variety of devices. I used GTalk on my Android phone to video conference with my wife on her iPhone. She used VTok on her iPhone. The latest method I use is Google+ hangouts. This service allows you to video conference with anyone on almost any device (PC or phone) that has a G+ account. There are also many other video conferencing services like Skype as well.

MF878

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
It seems as though you are not wildly skilled with tech (forgive me if I'm wrong). There's nothing wrong with that at all, just understand that better is relative, and what's better in your friend's eyes may not necessarily be what's better to you. If you're happy with what you have now, there is no reason for you to go through the hassle of changing. Put it this way, I'm fairly adept, and even I find changing things up frustrating enough to end up feeling pointless, although that's more through the time and effort it wastes rather than experiencing difficulties (the exception being when I switched from Windows to Mac). That's why I've settled on all Apple for the near future. Maybe that'll change someday, but right now, there's no reason to change things because everything I want and need to do can already be done.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.