Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steveandrews

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2013
Hi,

I have an early 2009 Mac Pro (MacPro 4,1), which came with an NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 graphics card. So that I could run new CUDA software, which requires an NVIDIA GPU that has "compute capability" of 2.0 or higher, I bought a new graphics card off of ebay. My new card is an NVIDIA GeForce 470 for Apple Mac Pro, 1280 Megs Femi CUDA. However, my system doesn't seem to recognize the card.

I just updated to OS 10.7.5, I made sure the card power cables are plugged in, and I see that the card fan is running. But, no output. With just the new card installed, my display stays black and says "no input signal detected". With both new and old cards installed (and display running from the old card), my System Report doesn't report that the new card is installed.

Does anyone have any ideas? Do you think the card is faulty, or is my system not set up properly somehow?

Thank you!
-Steve

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Hi,

I have an early 2009 Mac Pro (MacPro 4,1), which came with an NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 graphics card. So that I could run new CUDA software, which requires an NVIDIA GPU that has "compute capability" of 2.0 or higher, I bought a new graphics card off of ebay. My new card is an NVIDIA GeForce 470 for Apple Mac Pro, 1280 Megs Femi CUDA. However, my system doesn't seem to recognize the card.

I just updated to OS 10.7.5, I made sure the card power cables are plugged in, and I see that the card fan is running. But, no output. With just the new card installed, my display stays black and says "no input signal detected". With both new and old cards installed (and display running from the old card), my System Report doesn't report that the new card is installed.

Does anyone have any ideas? Do you think the card is faulty, or is my system not set up properly somehow?

Thank you!
-Steve

Do you have another machine to put the card in? A non-Mac? I could be a faulty card.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Also try to contact the seller about the problem and if you could return the card. Best to buy from sellers with adept experience in flashing cards and offers returns.

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
Sounds like faulty card. Even with compatibilty problem with mac, it should be detected as PCIe device.

steveandrews

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2013
Thanks for all the helpful replies! I'm going to try to return the card and get one that I know works.

-Steve

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Assuming this is a hacked card. There never was an official GeForce 470 for Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.