PDA

View Full Version : Power Mac G4 933 ADC Connection Problem

cpjakes
Oct 25, 2005, 01:52 PM
Hi everyone,

I'll give you the details on the problem as I know them now. We have a Power Mac G4 933 in one of our studios and it won't startup when the ADC cable is plugged in. If the ADC cable is hot-plugged, it shuts down the machine. A VGA monitor works just fine, but the Apple 15" LCD we have won't do anything.

We've recently changed the studios around so we now have two passive ADC extensions (which Dr. Bott claims won't work, but we haven't had any problems on the other machine we did this with).

This started happening while I was out of town and upon returning there were some bent pins in the cables (the same pin bent in two different cables). I don't know if they became bent and caused the problems or if they became bent while someone was trying to diagnose the problem. A couple of my assistants said they tried swapping monitors and video cards and that it still didn't work.

So before/during/after troubleshooting, does anyone have any ideas about how serious of a problem this could be?

My best hope is that it's a bent pin I haven't seen. Second hope is that it's the video card. I really hope it's not the machine, although it'd be a great excuse to get a new G5 in there...

alexprice
Oct 25, 2005, 03:55 PM
Hi everyone,

I'll give you the details on the problem as I know them now. We have a Power Mac G4 933 in one of our studios and it won't startup when the ADC cable is plugged in. If the ADC cable is hot-plugged, it shuts down the machine. A VGA monitor works just fine, but the Apple 15" LCD we have won't do anything.

We've recently changed the studios around so we now have two passive ADC extensions (which Dr. Bott claims won't work, but we haven't had any problems on the other machine we did this with).

This started happening while I was out of town and upon returning there were some bent pins in the cables (the same pin bent in two different cables). I don't know if they became bent and caused the problems or if they became bent while someone was trying to diagnose the problem. A couple of my assistants said they tried swapping monitors and video cards and that it still didn't work.

So before/during/after troubleshooting, does anyone have any ideas about how serious of a problem this could be?

My best hope is that it's a bent pin I haven't seen. Second hope is that it's the video card. I really hope it's not the machine, although it'd be a great excuse to get a new G5 in there...

It sounds like a short, no pins should be bent, if the pin is bent back and directly connected to the mac without anything between, does it work?

Also, I dont think its ok to "Hot Plug" ADC.

cpjakes
Nov 2, 2005, 02:52 PM
Well, I think I've figured out that the ADC port is shot. As I stated earlier, it happened while I was out of town so I'm not sure how it exactly happened. Looks like it's time for a replacement graphics card... Anyone know which graphics cards are ADC off the shelf?

Thanks,
cpjakes