Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kbutler84

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Screen%20Shot%202013-04-19%20at%205.29.06%20PM-M.png

So my hard drive is almost full because of these other files. I understand that when time machine can't find the backup disk, it creates local backups and these are considered other files. I found the recommendation of entering "sudo tmutil disablelocal" in terminal and turning time machine backups off, but that did not do anything. Any help is appreciated.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion/ML storage tab is about, this may help explain:
For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:
Freeing up space in Mac OS X

How OS X and iOS report storage capacity

kbutler84

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
I tried most of those options, and still nothing. Any other recommendations?

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Do you have exclusions set with spotlight (system prefs>spotlight>privacy). Any exclusions won't be indexed and therefore will appear as "Other".

kbutler84

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Do you have exclusions set with spotlight (system prefs>spotlight>privacy). Any exclusions won't be indexed and therefore will appear as "Other".

Just my EyeTV app folder. Nothing more than a couple hundred Mbs worth.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Scan for errors with disk utility, then reindex the drive. Spotflight effed up. Just by looking at "video", it says 18.45 EB (18,450TB) and it doesn't show at all either in the graph.

kbutler84

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Scan for errors with disk utility, then reindex the drive. Spotflight effed up. Just by looking at "video", it says 18.45 EB (18,450TB) and it doesn't show at all either in the graph.

Problem solved, thanks!

Edit:
Well, sort of. The other files have been reduced, and I'm showing the correct amount of free space, however I'm still seeing 18.45EB of video in the window pictured above.

Edit 2:
Problem completely solved.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4129912?start=0&tstart=0

Last edited:

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
So my hard drive is almost full because of these other files. I understand that when time machine can't find the backup disk, it creates local backups and these are considered other files.
No. Backups are shown in Pink. Other files are usually your files of some sort.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I tried most of those options, and still nothing.
Apparently you didn't. Both solutions, using Disk Utility to repair your drive and using Spotlight to re-index, were listed in the first response in this thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.