Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whfsdude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2002
Washington DC
hehe, I'm another broke teenage. I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a teenager working at an Apple Store. I know hiring is not done at the stores (I wish it was because I have a friend who knows a friend hehe) Yeah anyway I have lots of time on my hands and I know I could work at comp usa but being with Apple users and owners just would rock if you know what I mean ;)

Six

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
oooh, you have just described my dream job (as a teen.)

im 16, but alas, no apple store is to be found around my city, let alone my state...

Yellow99Stang

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2002
North Jersey
i tried

I tried to get a job at the Tices store in NJ, and after a whole slew of interviews the last of which was on 9-10. I was told on 9-12 in a rude email by the store manager that i didn't fit the corporate image. Its funny how bigots arise and I suddenly didn't fit the corporate image according to a few men because of my islamic name. For that reason i will never buy anything from an apple store, only mail order from an 3d party distributor who will benefit and appreciate my loyalty, and see beyond a name.

voicegy

macrumors 65816
I am very sorry and disappointed that you didn't get the job, Yellow99Stang. If your name or Islamic heritage had even the slightest hand in them not hiring you, well, that of course would be illegal.

"Not fitting the corporate image" is an interesting catch-all phrase, and could mean anything. Again, my sincere regrets. There's other opportunities out there.

Speaking of fitting the corporate image, the Apple store in my home town seems to have hired urchins right off the street. They look bored, haggard and dowright ratty, some of them. Surprised the heck out of me, so I guess it's the taste and choice of the individual managers, with a few solid guidelines from the Mothership to follow, as well.

It is my sincere wish that this incident is never repeated for you, and we all can live, once again, in non judgement and peace.

All the best,
Scott

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Good luck getting that job!

After applying for a job at an Apple reseller here in Australia, I was politely told that I was the best qualified applicant for the job (at 18), but they wouldn't hire me over my uni holidays because they wanted someone who would be able to hang around for longer.

They wouldn't even put me on casual to come in if someone couldn't make it. What ever happened to being able to get a job over summer???

Worse still, I've sine met the guy that got the job, and he's a real dope...

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
Hopefully I'll be able to get a job at the local Apple Store this spring. That's my dream (teen) job. From what I heard my local one (Tyson's Corner) isn't looking for anyone right now.

I tried applying online months ago, and I never even received an e-mail confirmation. I think you need to hang out at the store and get to know the staff and managers first, and then ask directly. That's my plan of action within the next few months :)

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
my boring short story...

I was very close to moving to San Jose.....actually if plans had gone though as planned, I'd be there as I'm typing this. I was prepared to do whatever possible to get into a position at Cupertino....even if it meant sweeping the floors....I just wanted to get in bad! I even considered seeking out a spot in an Apple retail store.....but the plans fell through and I'm still here in New Orleans :(.

for those who want to know what I'm up to now, u can refer to my writings in another thread started by networkman...ha ha ha....

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I currently work at The MacStation in Orlando, and while it's not like the Apple Stores, where you get all the newest stuff the day it's released, I still get to play around with some of the really cool stuff that people order, and we burn in for them to make sure they don't get a bad-out-of-the-box system. It's a great alternative to the rather exclusive Apple Stores.

Yellow99Stang

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2002
North Jersey
thanks for your support

I actually spoke with the apple representative whom i was in contact with before the incident and they let the individual stores do most of the hiring without corporate hinderance unless its a very high profile store. And the rep said it was illegal if that was the case and that she felt bad and would seek out some answers and i am not upset about it albeit a little disappointed. I just wanted it noted for other out there in case it happened elsewhere, and i could have pursued the matter had i been a llittle more cool headed and kep the email (which isn't something that apple practices, the blow off email! according to the rep) but sometimes its better to leave things alone as they usually are isolated incidents of Stupidity.

networkman

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2002
california, usa
re: short story

hey eye,

welcome to san jose if you move up here!

but you may want to live in a more pretty, and cheaper place, like santa cruz or morgan hill, and avoid the high rent of san jose and the "urban" thing with all the crime and other stuff

...but new orleans is no small hamlet, either so i am sure you can handle yourself in any city around a million people or so

btw...san jose was called the "safest large city in america" and to me that sounds like a huge joke...the past several presidents were so impressed that chief of police mcnamara is so hailed for his safe city that he has been asked to head either the cia or fbi...but just walk around the numbered streets of downtown san jose and you will see that it is not the place to live...unless you are shaft, steven segal, or jackie chan

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
networkman

I loved it out there on the west coast!! We were going to move into the San Jose area....about 5 mins from the airport. My girlfriend (Nicole) was going to be setup with a property management job and we were going to get rent for about half the cost. We spent some time in San Fran....but it's just way too expensive to start out there!

We were pretty impressed with San Jose, however. 45 mins away from gorgeous Carmel.....45 mins opposite direction leads u to San Fran.....and about a 20 min drive to Cupertino....he he he. Compared to New Orleans....we found it much cleaner, better weather, and didn't get a bad feel from it. Is it really more dangerous there than here?! We never ventured downtown....only in San Fran.

The likelihood of us moving out there now is pretty slim. We were going to have some help from Nicole's sister who was living there (will soon be a resident of Chicago), but since she is moving it wasn't going to be long enough for us to get settled. We figure the bit of money we have saved can stretch out a little more elsewhere.

New Orleans is a nice place to visit....but it really sucks for people trying to get anywhere....

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
this is kinda off topic, but does anyone know Steve Jobs real email, or Jonathan Ives.(I have seen a zillion different ones, anyone know them):confused:

kaneda

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2001
sdsu

I got a better job than working at Apple Stores...I sit in the office and scratch my butt all day LONG and picking my nose too! Dot COM IS STILL ALIVE!!!!!

By the way, I work for a web design firm..:O)

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I sit on my butt all day long as well.....in the nice cool airconditioning during the brutally hot summers here....

and it's boring as hell sometimes....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.