PDA

View Full Version : What happened to "upgraded" Mac Mini?

louis_sx
Oct 25, 2005, 03:09 PM
Am I the only one who's been patiently watching Apple's store for the version of the Mini first talked about on the front page with 64MB of VRAM? I see it on lowendmac (http://lowendmac.com/mini/late2005.html) also, so I know I'm not crazy. Extra VRAM would make Quartz Extreme happier at higher resolutions because of all the textures, I'd think, and the 5400RPM drives rather than the 4200RPM ones would help speed as well.

miloblithe
Oct 25, 2005, 03:14 PM
It's definitely strange. I was in an Apple store this weekend and one of the floor models was the new 1.5Ghz and another was the old 1.42. They should announce this soon. I guess they're just trying to get rid of some of the existing stock (and probably older, rev. A refurbished stock) before they announce the change.

ipacmm
Oct 25, 2005, 03:19 PM
I think Apple forgot about the Mac Mini and the update that they start shipping but forgot to tell everyone about.

louis_sx
Oct 25, 2005, 03:48 PM
well they're weirding me out...it'd be a nice desktop machine for me if they actually DO it...but I'm afraid to order without knowing if it's the upgrade or the original.

alexprice
Oct 25, 2005, 04:00 PM
Not knowing the real spec would put me off buying a Mini, surely this isn't good for Apple Mac Mini sales.

Danksi
Oct 25, 2005, 04:07 PM
Not knowing the real spec would put me off buying a Mini, surely this isn't good for Apple Mac Mini sales.

I guess they've assessed the cost of potential lost sales, against shipping upgraded versions and then figuring out how to get rid of the existing stocks (assuming they have any).

I suspect the majority of people buying the Mac-Mini's aren't aware of the updates and so it wouldn't effect their purchasing decision - thereby not effect sales.

tekmoe
Oct 25, 2005, 04:12 PM
I went with a friend of mine to the Apple store here in Dallas to buy a mac mini. When the employee brought it out from the stock room, we checked the serial number and it started with YM537. I told my friend to buy it as it is one of the new ones. Sure enough, it was.

Dont Hurt Me
Oct 26, 2005, 06:27 AM
Still no change at the store, but in years past they would sometimes do the same when iMac was the low end. I remember my 300 turned out to be a 333.:) Lets hope this turns out to be true because frankly i have seen only 1 person showing a 1.5/64mb video. perhaps spin& photoshop

louis_sx
Oct 26, 2005, 07:38 AM
With the iMac, though, the 300 never existed...it skipped from 266 to 333. In this case, the 1.25/1.42 exists, so you could get either the original or a new and improved one.

Dont Hurt Me
Oct 26, 2005, 07:52 AM
Maybe it was a 266 that came as a 333, but i do remember getting a faster machine then i ordered and thats allways a good thing.

louis_sx
Oct 26, 2005, 08:59 AM
Heh...that mindset is just one I can't get myself to share...I'd rather get exactly what I ordered rather than look around at other folks and see they got something that I didn't...I'd feel shafted for getting what I ordered, and that's just stupid. lol

anthonys
Oct 26, 2005, 10:00 AM
I think it's pretty sneaky, just to maybe save a bit of money. I'm almost in the market for a Mac Mini but certainly won't be buying until I know exactly what I'll be getting!

za9ra22
Oct 26, 2005, 10:20 AM
It seems to me that the supposition the 'upgraded' minis haven't been announced as shipping yet is because Apple are clearing stocks of the standard models might not make a great deal of sense. After all, if there were so many 1.25 and 1.42 systems in the supply channel, there would be no reason that upgraded systems would be appearing at all. Apple would hold of making them until the channel was clear, or hold them until existing supplies ran out.

In the end, this has been going on far too long for that explanation to fit. If demand for minis is anything like Apple's sales figures suggest, the supply channel would have cleared weeks ago.

damon5334
Oct 26, 2005, 11:12 AM
Well, I can tell you that the 1.5 Mac Mini is legit. I heard the rumors about them, and after not seeing the update posted after the last two announcements I went ahead and ordered one anyway. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Mini that arrived was the newer 1.5 GHz system, the other specs, as well as I could figure were:

64MB of Video RAM
5400RPM Drive (according to a model # lookup)
8x DVD+/-RW (I don't know about the Dual Layer part, as I'm too cheap to buy the discs, but I would assume it can do this)

My friend also said that it looks like they upped the Cache on the processor. I didn't really pay much attention to what it was previously, but I guess it's possible.

I can understand not wanting to order till the update is posted. I sold my previous mac mini in hopes of getting one of these. Maybe I just got lucky. Good luck to anyone else who's willing to throw caution into the wind.

louis_sx
Oct 26, 2005, 11:35 AM
Well, once my powerbook sells I guess I'll throw caution to the wind and order one, too.

yg17
Oct 26, 2005, 02:51 PM
My parents got an upgraded mini from the St Louis Apple Store (West County) on Saturday, so they do exist and seem to be relativley easy to find.

ChrisFromCanada
Oct 26, 2005, 03:08 PM
Does the upgraded 64MB or VRAM exist in the new 1.33GHz low-end mac mini and/or the 1.5GHz Combo Drive Mid-end Mac mini or just the High-end one? Can anyone confirm 64 Mb VRAM in a mid or Low-end machine?

Zooigor
Oct 26, 2005, 04:42 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the 100GB hard drive option now available for the Mini? Is it noisier and is it 4200, 5400 or 7200 rpm? What about 5400rpm drives in general: will they make the Mini noisier?
Thanks!

jeffzoom
Oct 26, 2005, 08:04 PM
I was soooooo close too. I was gonna start saving for one/collecting parts. I used mini's in store on 20inch displays and they are fine, i opened garage band and it ran well, iphoto, imovie too, abeit "skate" the hd movie was a little choppy, but all was in order. And I figured, if the mac minis are gonna have double the video ram in them soon a faster pross, larger cache, fast hardrive, supadrives (not a big deal for me as i have a brandnew dvdburner waiting for an external enclosure), i'll just wait. One would think that holiday season would be the time to update stuff and release. Maybe the day after thanksgiving if we are lucky ;) I will use the mini with a either 17inch crt or a 21in CRT, money is tight, but i am by no means a power user, if you count the tri-annual short video editing and photoshop stuff then maybe, but I don't do HD or even (At the moment) know how to fully use garage band. Ok now that I have had my joyride in this thread I will surrend to the moderaters..:eek: :D ..."cuff me"

Chrispy
Nov 1, 2005, 11:51 AM
So if I wanted to get a mini 1.5 would ordering either 1.42 model possibly get me the 1.5?

4God
Nov 1, 2005, 03:44 PM
Well, I can tell you that the 1.5 Mac Mini is legit. I heard the rumors about them, and after not seeing the update posted after the last two announcements I went ahead and ordered one anyway. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Mini that arrived was the newer 1.5 GHz system, the other specs, as well as I could figure were:

64MB of Video RAM
5400RPM Drive (according to a model # lookup)
8x DVD+/-RW (I don't know about the Dual Layer part, as I'm too cheap to buy the discs, but I would assume it can do this)

My friend also said that it looks like they upped the Cache on the processor. I didn't really pay much attention to what it was previously, but I guess it's possible.

I can understand not wanting to order till the update is posted. I sold my previous mac mini in hopes of getting one of these. Maybe I just got lucky. Good luck to anyone else who's willing to throw caution into the wind.

What was the original order? Also, was there an increase in the FSB? (Mine stands at 167 Mhz)

Sun Baked
Nov 1, 2005, 03:50 PM
Because it wasn't an update, think Intrepid2/DDR2 for the "next" Mini update...