PDA

View Full Version : iPhone or Android

jimmy 7
Apr 20, 2013, 12:27 PM
Hey this is just gonna be a question on whether or not hoping that the next iphone will bring what the iphone 5 didnt or should i switch?
Note: i Currently have an iPhone 4s and i'm looking to upgrade in december of this year:confused:

Mrbobb
Apr 20, 2013, 12:35 PM
upgrade in december of this year:confused:

Then u have time to wait for Apple's next offering and compare.

If u want opinions, speculations, there are plenty of existing posts on this site that talk about them. Have fun browsing.

IFRIT
Apr 20, 2013, 12:40 PM
If you're hoping the 5S will be a massive departure from the 5 then you will be disapointed, it will be a 5 with some more bells and whistles.

jimmy 7
Apr 20, 2013, 12:54 PM
I dont think the iPhone 5 will be a huge difference but i just want to get some insight on whether the iPhone would be a better purchase then an android

Note: I mean the iPhone 5 as the iPhone that would be the purchase

617aircav
Apr 20, 2013, 02:45 PM
Hey this is just gonna be a question on whether or not hoping that the next iphone will bring what the iphone 5 didnt or should i switch?
Note: i Currently have an iPhone 4s and i'm looking to upgrade in december of this year:confused:

You have more than enough time to decide.

lordofthereef
Apr 20, 2013, 11:22 PM
Bring what the 5 didn't? Why don't you tell us what you were expecting and we can at least give you our opinion on whether or not they are reasonable expectations for the successor.

webslinger85
Apr 20, 2013, 11:27 PM
Only you can decide that. You've got plenty of time to decide, by the time you upgrade, the next iPhone, Nexus, and Note iterations should be out. So decide which is right for you, and go from there.

I understand where you're coming from, chosing a phone really shouldn't be a difficult decision, but in todays tech world, it really can be

jimmy 7
Apr 21, 2013, 11:25 AM
What really the iPhone 5 didnt really bring was not many things but enough that many people say how it isn't worth an upgrade. It didn't bring a new camera all it did was really change the glass. It only changed it's screen size by only half an inch. And the design is a lot like the 4,4/s. It also wasen't a huge performance upgrade were it made the previous gens look outdated. ;)

iMcLovin
Apr 21, 2013, 01:52 PM
I dont know what exactly you are missing on the iphone 5, but yet again I agree and think the iphone lacks a lot of innovation. Sadly I think 5s will be the same phone with slightly better camera and a slightly better cpu, which is just meh!. Iīm sad to say Iīve gotten a bit bored of the iphone updates, the changes have become incremental. Seems apple thinks they have made the perfect phone and therefore thinks thereīs no point making something new. I will probably buy the iphone 5s, even though I have the 5, but I doubt thereīs much reason to do so except just for the heck of it. I do believe Apple has to ramp up their innovative team again, because at this point, even an apple fan like myself have no really good reason to say that people should stay away from Android phones like samsung, HTC and Sony...they are getting stuff that makes the iphone just seem a bit out of date in some areas....and I know a lot of the things are impractical or just flavor stuff, but still we need those things too....the phone is suppose to be more than just a useful device, the way apple market it, its suppose to be cool, a fashion statement ...etc...

this is the stuff I miss the most:

-bigger screen (yeah I know apple think my fingers wonīt like it - but they are wrong, they should release 2 sizes and see for themselves)

-new cool ui, innovative and yet practical changes that makes it fun again to look at the screen while at the same time making it even more useful. This is probably were I feel Apple has truly stagnated - the current main screen and lock screen UI is simple to use, but itīs also extremely boring and limited. I donīt say android is better UI but its getting more interesting every day. And UI is suppose to be one of apples strongest abilities. THereīs been ton of ideas and videos from people having great ideas for iOS, I dont understand why apple isnīt able to take something of that and use to their advantage. Others stole from apple and are improving it in a faster rate than them.

-get a better streamlined design on ios and apples apps, get rid of all that horrible skeumorphic cheezyness that doesnt even help ignorant users.

-an even more sturdy exterior design. the iphone 5 build quality is great, but the phone gets scuffs and marks like never before.

-Siri has been out 2 years now and it still only support a few languages. Come on Apple ?!?!?

-Maps is completely useless. Its gorgeous but useless. I was lucky in the beginning, but suddenly I got tons wrong directions, to the extent Iīll never use it again unless Apple announce itīs worth a try again. Google maps app looks almost as good while actually being accurate.

-how about an actual improvement to the battery for once ? Since 3ds the battery has just shortened more and more for every model. On iphone 5 it lasts a day if you use it carefully. Itīs time for a revolution here.

Cody21
Apr 21, 2013, 02:05 PM
Based on the time you gave us on when you're going to upgrade, you still have lots of time to decide, but i'm sure there will be plenty new Android devices and a new iPhone released in that period of time. And it's gonna be entirely up to you on your decision to switch or stay.

midnightMachine
Apr 21, 2013, 02:14 PM
Maybe since the iPhone has been such a disappointment, he should build his own phone and see how it turns out.

LTE and upgraded WiFi alone were pretty decent jumps for this one.. but like I said.. for all the bitching that goes on about the "innovation" and improvements that are lacking on these phones (be they iPhones, droids, what-have you), I'd like to see someone do better... :rolleyes:

iMcLovin
Apr 21, 2013, 02:32 PM
Maybe since the iPhone has been such a disappointment, he should build his own phone and see how it turns out.

LTE and upgraded WiFi alone were pretty decent jumps for this one.. but like I said.. for all the bitching that goes on about the "innovation" and improvements that are lacking on these phones (be they iPhones, droids, what-have you), I'd like to see someone do better... :rolleyes:

what the heck has that got to do with it? So if you think a product from a multibillion company isnīt as good as wish for, you better shut up unless you can make a better one yourself? Thatīs honestly a childish argument.

Iīm a fanboy, Iīve been a fan boy for a long time and wish to be so for a long time too. But apple has to keep making the greatest products, and lately they are falling behind imo. and they are releasing half finished apps and tiny phone improvements while the rest of the competitors are desperately trying to pimp their phones as much as possible. And for a long time everyone else has been far from the iphone, but they are catching up,... and fast...and on some areas they are actually better.

midnightMachine
Apr 21, 2013, 03:23 PM
Frankly I think the childish part is the "Now, now, now" and "bigger (or smaller..), better, faster sense of entitlement presented by a good majority of the consumer base.

I've been using Apple products for a long time, and have used them alongside their counterparts for that same amount of time. People demand it be smaller, but faster, longer battery life, but twice as powerful.. there are threads on these forums that demand that Apple produce something to their specific liking or else they will move on. I say let them. Apple hasn't ever struck me as a company that looks to "pimp out" its devices. They are about solidity, dependability, something that all the pimping in the world won't bring to these other devices so long as they remain fragmented the way that they are.

These speculative months just get pretty ridiculous with the demands and meaningless threats..

If the OP is looking to compare the iPhone 5 to current droid devices.. he'd do well to, as someone already suggested, develop a list of criteria and find which device checks the most blocks.. If he's wondering if a future device that no one has solid knowledge of we meet those criteria, then maybe his time would be better spent making mock-ups that won't be considered or building his own device to his liking...

You say that you think Apple is "falling behind" with developing the greatest products, but go on to say that competitors are "desperately trying to pimp their phones as much as possible".. that tells me they still have the competition playing catch-up.. often times on the coat-tails of Apple releases. Brand loyalty is great and all, but if you think another company does it better, then maybe it is time to break-up.. But I think it is time for us to grow up and realize that Apple, and its competitors are out there doing things with technology that many of us don't even understand how they pull them off.. and if technology plateaus for a couple releases, so be it.. because I'd rather have a minor update that I don't mind missing out on every now and then, followed by something amazing that I can't ignore..

jimmy 7
Apr 21, 2013, 03:49 PM
i never stated that i could build a better phone i was asking for guidance on the next phone purchase i should get and since when am i gonna compete with apple or samsung or htc? Don't see any phones created by you?

midnightMachine
Apr 21, 2013, 03:57 PM
Nope, I haven't made anything.. I am not a phone developer, or manufacturer. I gratefully use the tools that others have provided for me.

You say you are looking for guidance on your next purchase, but you still haven't actually laid out criteria.. all you've done is stated that the iPhone 5 wasn't enough.. I think if you laid out specific criteria for what you want out of the device you spend your money on, you'd probably be able to answer your own question.. and even if not, people might have an easier time giving you useful feedback based on their own experience. Considering the sheer number of devices by each of the other manufacturers you listed.. it would be hard to even begin to pit all of them against an iPhone in a comprehensive manner..

DesertEagle
Apr 21, 2013, 04:11 PM
Switching takes time, so make sure that it's worth it. I fail to see why one OS should be inherently better or worse than the other, but if it's very important for you to do anything you want with your phone without jailbreaking it, then switching to Android might be a good solution for you.

Essenar
Apr 21, 2013, 07:17 PM
So much time and so little information on what will be available to end 2013.

iPhone 5S
iOS7
Nexus 2013
Galaxy S4
Note 3
HTC One maturity

I honestly think you should just enjoy your 4S and see what happens because this year is going to tell us whether Apple is finally realizing how big of a threat Android is to the simplicity of iOS or if it will be 'business as usual'.

I think you'll probably be getting an S4 but who knows.

Jimmy James
Apr 21, 2013, 07:30 PM

The 5 already brought it.

osofast240sx
Apr 22, 2013, 11:35 AM
So much time and so little information on what will be available to end 2013.

iPhone 5S
iOS7
Nexus 2013
Galaxy S4
Note 3
HTC One maturity

I honestly think you should just enjoy your 4S and see what happens because this year is going to tell us whether Apple is finally realizing how big of a threat Android is to the simplicity of iOS or if it will be 'business as usual'.

I think you'll probably be getting an S4 but who knows.
Android has never been a threat to Apple. Apple has never run their business in a competition form.

Bacong
Apr 22, 2013, 11:42 AM
what the heck has that got to do with it? So if you think a product from a multibillion company isnīt as good as wish for, you better shut up unless you can make a better one yourself? Thatīs honestly a childish argument.

Iīm a fanboy, Iīve been a fan boy for a long time and wish to be so for a long time too. But apple has to keep making the greatest products, and lately they are falling behind imo. and they are releasing half finished apps and tiny phone improvements while the rest of the competitors are desperately trying to pimp their phones as much as possible. And for a long time everyone else has been far from the iphone, but they are catching up,... and fast...and on some areas they are actually better.

Why is "pimping their phones as much as possible" a good thing? Where's the respect for a company that refines their efforts?

If you want to be on the cutting edge of Android, go ahead and buy the 15 "next big thing" phones they release per year. Good luck choosing.

Grass is always greener.

Bear
Apr 22, 2013, 11:46 AM
Note: i Currently have an iPhone 4s and i'm looking to upgrade in december of this year:confused:We'll know what the next iPhone has when Apple announces it.

As for Android, I suggest when you have time you go into a store and play with the Android phones... see how you like the feel of the software. You will need to try many phones as the software is all customized differently on Android phones. Even from the same manufacturer.

And you would need to do this before you bought an Android phone anyway.

MVRL
Apr 22, 2013, 11:56 AM
Why is "pimping their phones as much as possible" a good thing? Where's the respect for a company that refines their efforts?

If you want to be on the cutting edge of Android, go ahead and buy the 15 "next big thing" phones they release per year. Good luck choosing.

Grass is always greener.

You can't possibly be this ignorant..

takeshi74
Apr 22, 2013, 11:59 AM
I dont think the iPhone 5 will be a huge difference but i just want to get some insight on whether the iPhone would be a better purchase then an android
That's a highly subjective matter or else everyone would be using one and not the other. Take a look around and you'll see that people use different devices based on their needs/wants/etc. If you want us to tell you then you need to clearly spell out your needs/wants for us. Otherwise, it's the same as shopping for anything else. List our your needs/wants. Assign weights. Select what suits you best.

Back up your statement. How is BaconG ignorant? Is product refinement not important to anyone? Is there not a constant stream of the "latest and greatest" Android devices? Is the "grass is greener" not applicable in many cases (regardless of which camp the person is currently in)?

What's ignorant and why?

R.Stoychev
Apr 22, 2013, 12:01 PM
If you like themes and so on, go for android, if you want apps go for the iphone. :D It is personal preference :P

Bacong
Apr 22, 2013, 12:22 PM

Because I disagree with you, I'm ignorant?

Apple isn't on the cutting edge when it comes to introducing features to their phones. This is obvious. But I've seen plenty of people champion Android for that feature alone. It's dangerous to just praise something for "innovation" when this innovation may not be worthwhile or useful.

There are definitely things about Android that iOS needs. But even the fastest, most feature filled, most spec-beast Android phone doesn't feel as consistently smooth and lag-free as an iPhone 5. I've tried Galaxy S3, Nexus 4 (outstanding phone) and several other of the top-tier Android offerings. Google even created a "Project Butter" for Jelly Bean to make their operating system smooth. Apple doesn't need that; it already is smooth.

It depends on what you want from a phone. Do you want a brand new Android device, with all the newest features (maybe! HTC One doesn't ship with newest Android update) and best specs?

Do you want a phone that, despite not having a quad core and 2 GB of ram still out-benchmarks other phones?

There's advantages to both. All I see on the internet is that "Apple doesn't innovate" and that the iPhone's screen is too small.

Apple was on top for awhile. People aren't comparing Apple to a single company, they're comparing them to the bulk of companies producing Android devices. Apple releases a phone a year. Of course the iPhone 5 is lagging behind the newest Android devices..because they're new!

I'm rambling, sorry. All my point is saying is that jamming feature after feature into a phone doesn't necessarily make it better.

thehustleman
Apr 22, 2013, 12:44 PM

Right now Android is ahead in sales, simplicity, and functionality.

Apple still has brand loyalty. This means people won't give a competing product a fair chance because they are to loyal to that brand

Bacong
Apr 22, 2013, 12:56 PM

Apple still has brand loyalty. This means people won't give a competing product a fair chance because they are to loyal to that brand

Yep, that's it. Apple merely exists because of brand loyalty :p

jamojamo
Apr 22, 2013, 12:58 PM
Android has never been a threat to Apple. Apple has never run their business in a competition form.

Hmmm, the person talking to the investors back in 2010 seems to differ from you but he probably doesn't know as much about Apple as you do.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/10/18/apple.earnings/index.html

Android is Apple's biggest competitors in the smartphone industry, Jobs said

As much as some people don't like to admit it, Apple better start acting like they have competition or they will end up with only the old Apple Elitists on their devices. Seems to be what some would like (search iToys on the forums)....

midnightMachine
Apr 22, 2013, 01:01 PM

I'll be honest, I don't know the sales numbers.. but seeing as Android running on devices made by several companies that simply seems logical.

Though I'm not sure how you give simplicity and functionality to them so freely when amongst all those devices that are being sold with the android platform, they are not all running the same version, and each company comes with its own set of base software on top of that..

Apple seems to have it pretty simple. They sell the newest device as their flagship device, and offer a couple generations of older devices as cheaper alternatives.. they all run the same OS, and while the newer devices have upgraded specs and often features that only their hardware will support, all the devices make the same use of that OS..

Functionality is purely a matter of personal preference.. for me, my HTC Sensation 4g (except for accessing "4g" networks due to the modem being newer) couldn't do anything that my buddies iPhone 3GS couldn't do.. If it could, it wasn't anything I needed so I never found it. Now I have the iPhone 5.. again.. there isn't anything that I can think of that I'll be missing.. But that is MY preference. It may be the OP's too, or he may find that he does prefer Android.. Heck we still haven't been approached by him as to the specific things he is looking to get out of his next device.. So as we warned him, he's getting bold and reasonably unfounded statements presented as fact, and opinion that can only possibly be your own, seeing as you are most likely only one person.

thehustleman
Apr 22, 2013, 01:07 PM
Yep, that's it. Apple merely exists because of brand loyalty :p

That and the eco system

midnightMachine
Apr 22, 2013, 01:08 PM
Hmmm, the person talking to the investors back in 2010 seems to differ from you but he probably doesn't know as much about Apple as you do.

Perhaps osofast240sx was a little brash in saying "Android has never been a threat to Apple." ..but, from a reasonably long time consumer's point of view (meaning mine) Like he said, Apple has never struck me as one to participate in the traditional competitive marketplace. They instead have always struck me as a company that presented themselves as "We are Apple, we do what we do, and we strive to do the best at it. We hope you agree, and buy our stuff." If they were worried about being traditionally competitive, they would have opened up their OSs long ago for use on whatever system the end-user wanted.. they'd open up software development for their various platforms and let the user base have at it... And while things are a bit tight right now for them.. they've been doing alright for some time now..

Bacong
Apr 22, 2013, 01:10 PM
I'll be honest, I don't know the sales numbers.. but seeing as Android running on devices made by several companies that simply seems logical.

Though I'm not sure how you give simplicity and functionality to them so freely when amongst all those devices that are being sold with the android platform, they are not all running the same version, and each company comes with its own set of base software on top of that..

Apple seems to have it pretty simple. They sell the newest device as their flagship device, and offer a couple generations of older devices as cheaper alternatives.. they all run the same OS, and while the newer devices have upgraded specs and often features that only their hardware will support, all the devices make the same use of that OS..

Functionality is purely a matter of personal preference.. for me, my HTC Sensation 4g (except for accessing "4g" networks due to the modem being newer) couldn't do anything that my buddies iPhone 3GS couldn't do.. If it could, it wasn't anything I needed so I never found it. Now I have the iPhone 5.. again.. there isn't anything that I can think of that I'll be missing.. But that is MY preference. It may be the OP's too, or he may find that he does prefer Android.. Heck we still haven't been approached by him as to the specific things he is looking to get out of his next device.. So as we warned him, he's getting bold and reasonably unfounded statements presented as fact, and opinion that can only possibly be your own, seeing as you are most likely only one person.

This entire post.

The things you used to champion android (functionality, simplicity) are opinions at best. Why is it more simple? There are hundreds of Android devices out there. Which one is the best? Why? Because of the specs? What does that tell you about the actual OS, though? How does it perform?

Functionality? Define this. Android has wider customization options, sure.

jrswizzle
Apr 22, 2013, 01:18 PM
What really the iPhone 5 didnt really bring was not many things but enough that many people say how it isn't worth an upgrade. It didn't bring a new camera all it did was really change the glass. It only changed it's screen size by only half an inch. And the design is a lot like the 4,4/s. It also wasen't a huge performance upgrade were it made the previous gens look outdated. ;)

To be honest, those who cry about the 5 not being a "huge" upgrade are your stereotypical fickle consumers who want to be wowed every time something new is released and completely ignore reality.

That reality being that the 5, by all measurable facts, is the biggest upgrade in the iPhone line. But because it "looks the same" (which is completely idiotic - it isn't even made out of the same materials), people are disappointed.

Here are some of the changes in the 5:

-LTE
-More than 2.5x faster (the largest CPU jump for an iPhone from its predecessor)
-New aspect ratio (the more popular 16:9) which gave rise to a slightly longer phone with a larger screen
-New screen technology (the in-cell tech on the iPhone 5 not only allows the phone to be thinner, but also gives a NOTICEABLE boost in color accuracy over the 4S - even with the same ppi) - giving rise to the most color accurate and bright screen on the market.
-Thinner, more durable design (I'm talking about dropping and breaking the thing, not superfluous scratches)
-Literally, better EVERYTHING (battery life, GPU, CPU, camera optics, display) in a thinner, lighter casing (why no one understands how amazing it is is beyond me)
-Higher quality call sound (if you are lucky enough to have that enabled at this point - generally though the calls sound crisp).
-Same beautiful Apple fit and finish (I don't know about others, but my iPhone arrived in pristine condition - generally for every loud-mouth complainer there are tens, if not hundreds of thousands of completely satisfied customers out there).

I really don't understand what more people want......

And for those claiming the 5S will be nothing more than a small upgrade from the 5 - I wasn't aware Apple released that information to trolls on the internet....

Try to make this decision on your own - read LEGITIMATE reviews (either by reputable tech sites or users here who don't use words and phrases like "fanboy" or "iOS is stale". To be quite honest, given the offerings already out this year, you really can't go wrong (depending on your personal uses and needs). Really it comes down to the types of activities you prefer to use your phone for. I, for instance, own both an iPhone 5 and Nexus 4. I find that I use both in much the same way - that is there aren't any tasks I do on my Nexus 4 (functionally - there are customization options that I play with) that I can't do on my iPhone 5. And the iPhone is already very familiar to me (and works with all my other Apple gear) so I tend to lean toward iOS. That isn't to say I don't like Android - my next phone will likely be the HTC One (unless Google/Motorola blow my socks off with the Phone X).

I have a list of 5 things I use to help me decide on a smartphone:
(1) Customer Service
(2) Build materials/quality
(3) IPS LCD vs AMOLED - I prefer IPS LCD
(4) Software updates
(5) Overall stability and fluidity

The iPhone hits all 5 of those - there isn't an Android out that does (HTC and Google come close). These are highly subjective criteria - MY criteria. I suggest you come up with your own and base your decision on those things - not the bickering of fickle consumers on a rumors forum.

----------

Hilarious that its literally impossible to actually prefer Apple - you either must be brainwashed or a mindless fanboy.....

Hence why people get so defensive around here.

Instead of insulting someone's OPINIONS and CHOICES (when the reality is you are doing so with your own OPINIONS and CHOICES), why not recognize that not everyone thinks the same way and likes the same things?

I guess that would make too much sense - it would also kill the need for Android-enthusiasts to gloat about the latest benchmark test :rolleyes:

Bear
Apr 22, 2013, 01:26 PM
I'm rambling, sorry. All my point is saying is that jamming feature after feature into a phone doesn't necessarily make it better.This is quite true for any piece of equipment. From my point of view if there's an app that handles what I want, it doesn't have to be a feature that comes on the phone. Also, just because a phone has a feature, it doesn't mean it's something I want.

Bacong
Apr 22, 2013, 01:29 PM
As per the latest update Apple Inc. will lauch their new mobile iPhone 5s in this June. So i think its better to wait for sometime after that you will have latest technology mobile and i am sure that Apple will surely add some great feature in its new device.

Apple has moved their product release cycle to fall to coincide with the holiday shopping season. I would be quite surprised if Apple released the iPhone 5s this summer.

Also, there is no "latest update" and I'm not sure you're a real person.

thehustleman
Apr 22, 2013, 02:07 PM
This entire post.

The things you used to champion android (functionality, simplicity) are opinions at best. Why is it more simple? There are hundreds of Android devices out there. Which one is the best? Why? Because of the specs? What does that tell you about the actual OS, though? How does it perform?

Functionality? Define this. Android has wider customization options, sure.

Functionality is feature set. What ask can it do that the next phone can't? You can do out of the box what you have to jailbreak an iphone to do

And why is Android more simple?

You don't have to even exit an app to do little simple things.

You want to turn off wifi because you're in a poor wifi area and hate the way the phone bounces back and forth between cellular data and WiFi, you have to go home then go into your settings to turn it off.

On android, you merely pull down and tap the wifi toggle. Continue using your app as you were.

Want to turn on your mobile hotspot? Pull down and tap the icon. Done. In iOS it's home, settings, general, cellular data, personal hotspot. Simple.

Flashlight? Merely pull down and tap the icon, meanwhile in iOS you have to install an app.

Want to share a song with a friend? Use bluetooth and send that song and that friend can listen to it and you can do it as much as you want. Iphone, you have to use iTunes for any music transfers. If you have a galaxy s 3 or 4 just tap the backs of the phones and transfer away

These aren't opinions, these are facts, it's just simpler on Android.

A pull and a tap will always be simpler than going through settings

Now I'm just waiting for the ifaithful to say "well I don't need to do that" or "i have no use for that" in response to functionality.

If you don't want functionality, fine! Don't use it. But it doesn't mean the iphone is as functional or more functional than a galaxy s 4

cynics
Apr 22, 2013, 02:14 PM
To be honest, those who cry about the 5 not being a "huge" upgrade are your stereotypical fickle consumers who want to be wowed every time something new is released and completely ignore reality.

That reality being that the 5, by all measurable facts, is the biggest upgrade in the iPhone line. But because it "looks the same" (which is completely idiotic - it isn't even made out of the same materials), people are disappointed.

Here are some of the changes in the 5:

-LTE
-More than 2.5x faster (the largest CPU jump for an iPhone from its predecessor)
-New aspect ratio (the more popular 16:9) which gave rise to a slightly longer phone with a larger screen
-New screen technology (the in-cell tech on the iPhone 5 not only allows the phone to be thinner, but also gives a NOTICEABLE boost in color accuracy over the 4S - even with the same ppi) - giving rise to the most color accurate and bright screen on the market.
-Thinner, more durable design (I'm talking about dropping and breaking the thing, not superfluous scratches)
-Literally, better EVERYTHING (battery life, GPU, CPU, camera optics, display) in a thinner, lighter casing (why no one understands how amazing it is is beyond me)
-Higher quality call sound (if you are lucky enough to have that enabled at this point - generally though the calls sound crisp).
-Same beautiful Apple fit and finish (I don't know about others, but my iPhone arrived in pristine condition - generally for every loud-mouth complainer there are tens, if not hundreds of thousands of completely satisfied customers out there).

I really don't understand what more people want......

And for those claiming the 5S will be nothing more than a small upgrade from the 5 - I wasn't aware Apple released that information to trolls on the internet....

Try to make this decision on your own - read LEGITIMATE reviews (either by reputable tech sites or users here who don't use words and phrases like "fanboy" or "iOS is stale". To be quite honest, given the offerings already out this year, you really can't go wrong (depending on your personal uses and needs). Really it comes down to the types of activities you prefer to use your phone for. I, for instance, own both an iPhone 5 and Nexus 4. I find that I use both in much the same way - that is there aren't any tasks I do on my Nexus 4 (functionally - there are customization options that I play with) that I can't do on my iPhone 5. And the iPhone is already very familiar to me (and works with all my other Apple gear) so I tend to lean toward iOS. That isn't to say I don't like Android - my next phone will likely be the HTC One (unless Google/Motorola blow my socks off with the Phone X).

I have a list of 5 things I use to help me decide on a smartphone:
(1) Customer Service
(2) Build materials/quality
(3) IPS LCD vs AMOLED - I prefer IPS LCD
(4) Software updates
(5) Overall stability and fluidity

The iPhone hits all 5 of those - there isn't an Android out that does (HTC and Google come close). These are highly subjective criteria - MY criteria. I suggest you come up with your own and base your decision on those things - not the bickering of fickle consumers on a rumors forum.

----------

Hilarious that its literally impossible to actually prefer Apple - you either must be brainwashed or a mindless fanboy.....

Hence why people get so defensive around here.

Instead of insulting someone's OPINIONS and CHOICES (when the reality is you are doing so with your own OPINIONS and CHOICES), why not recognize that not everyone thinks the same way and likes the same things?

I guess that would make too much sense - it would also kill the need for Android-enthusiasts to gloat about the latest benchmark test :rolleyes:

Meh, specs specs specs. In cell technology?!?! Thank god I'm running to the apple store right now!

I'm more impressed with stuff that actually benefits me. Maps for example was the killer new "feature". However it wasn't good and there wasn't anything remotely impressive with sat nav back in 2012. Killer new feature replaced by a much better app I already had.

The reason I'm going to get a 5S will be for a software feature my 4S doesn't get and we can be sure of that, unless they dont release anything new at all. So I'm not sure what you mean about 4. Software updates. The version numbers in settings > about get bigger if that's what you mean.

tjl3
Apr 22, 2013, 02:14 PM
Functionality is feature set. What ask can it do that the next phone can't? You can do out of the box what you have to jailbreak an iphone to do

And why is Android more simple?

You don't have to even exit an app to do little simple things.

You want to turn off wifi because you're in a poor wifi area and hate the way the phone bounces back and forth between cellular data and WiFi, you have to go home then go into your settings to turn it off.

On android, you merely pull down and tap the wifi toggle. Continue using your app as you were.

Want to turn on your mobile hotspot? Pull down and tap the icon. Done. In iOS it's home, settings, general, cellular data, personal hotspot. Simple.

Flashlight? Merely pull down and tap the icon, meanwhile in iOS you have to install an app.

Want to share a song with a friend? Use bluetooth and send that song and that friend can listen to it and you can do it as much as you want. Iphone, you have to use iTunes for any music transfers. If you have a galaxy s 3 or 4 just tap the backs of the phones and transfer away

These aren't opinions, these are facts, it's just simpler on Android.

A pull and a tap will always be simpler than going through settings

Now I'm just waiting for the ifaithful to say "well I don't need to do that" or "i have no use for that" in response to functionality.

If you don't want functionality, fine! Don't use it. But it doesn't mean the iphone is as functional or more functional than a galaxy s 4

You're trying to argue subjective points as fact and it doesn't work.

jrswizzle
Apr 22, 2013, 02:22 PM
Meh, specs specs specs. In cell technology?!?! Thank god I'm running to the apple store right now!

I'm more impressed with stuff that actually benefits me. Maps for example was the killer new "feature". However it wasn't good and there wasn't anything remotely impressive with sat nav back in 2012. Killer new feature replaced by a much better app I already had.

The reason I'm going to get a 5S will be for a software feature my 4S doesn't get and we can be sure of that, unless they dont release anything new at all. So I'm not sure what you mean about 4. Software updates. The version numbers in settings > about get bigger if that's what you mean.

I wasn't discussing iOS 6.....I was talking about the iPhone 5.

They aren't one and the same - the iPhone 4S got iOS 6 and all those features. The iPhone 5 is all specs and tech.

I have no problem talking about features and software though - personally I'm looking forward to iOS 7 more than the 5S (or whatever it is). I'm perfectly content to be on the 2 year upgrade for iPhones - I'll get all the software stuff anyways.

And my number 4 has to do with how quickly and easily a phone gets updated (and how long it is supported afterward). I.E. the iPhone 5 will get iOS 7 on day 1. The GS4 or HTC One won't get KLP for a few months at best.

Don't confuse my post as one about software - the initial quote was about the 5 and hardware itself. Why YOU will buy a new phone is up to you - I wasn't making any comment on such.

Kashsystems
Apr 22, 2013, 02:42 PM
Everybody has different reasons why they choose certain things.

Why do I use the iPhone 5.

Is it because it is the best fastest biggest screen phone? Is it because it just works? Is it because I am invested in their ecosystem?

No actually the main reason why I use an iPhone 5 is that imessage has been crucial for me.

The ability for clients to send me a text that reaches my iPhone,iMac,iPad, or Macbook has been a time and lifesaver.

That this only works because I have clients who have iPhones or iPads etc, but it has been good enough that is has improved things for me.

Now in my heart right now I want either a S4 or Note 3
and I hope that mightytext is a suitable imessage replacement.

Point is, there are million reasons to choose either Android or iPhone, just make sure it makes the most sense to you.

jrswizzle
Apr 22, 2013, 02:46 PM
Everybody has different reasons why they choose certain things.

Why do I use the iPhone 5.

Is it because it is the best fastest biggest screen phone? Is it because it just works? Is it because I am invested in their ecosystem?

No actually the main reason why I use an iPhone 5 is that imessage has been crucial for me.

The ability for clients to send me a text that reaches my iPhone,iMac,iPad, or Macbook has been a time and lifesaver.

That this only works because I have clients who have iPhones or iPads etc, but it has been good enough that is has improved things for me.

Now in my heart right now I want either a S4 or Note 3
and I hope that mightytext is a suitable imessage replacement.

Point is, there are million reasons to choose either Android or iPhone, just make sure it makes the most sense to you.

If the ability to text via your computer is the function you need, MightyText works like a charm - still sends the text through your phone so if (like me) the ability to send texts via wifi is a selling point, MightyText doesn't help.

I do like the chrome add on - very slick. I use it at work so I don't have to pull out my personal phone.

Dontazemebro
Apr 22, 2013, 02:55 PM
This is how I look at it. You can pretty much accomplish anything on an Android that you might want to do on an iPhone, but the same can't be said for the iPhone because of their closed garden and restrictions.

I think what the op needs is a top flight android phone with MIUI. I guarantee you'll probably never look back at ios again.

Kashsystems
Apr 22, 2013, 02:56 PM
If the ability to text via your computer is the function you need, MightyText works like a charm - still sends the text through your phone so if (like me) the ability to send texts via wifi is a selling point, MightyText doesn't help.

I do like the chrome add on - very slick. I use it at work so I don't have to pull out my personal phone.

As long as it will send texts through my phone, from my pc, that is ok. I just need to be everywhere wherever I am.

jrswizzle
Apr 22, 2013, 03:09 PM
As long as it will send texts through my phone, from my pc, that is ok. I just need to be everywhere wherever I am.

Then Mighty Text will work perfectly.

----------

This is how I look at it. You can pretty much accomplish anything on an Android that you might want to do on an iPhone, but the same can't be said for the iPhone because of their closed garden and restrictions.

I think what the op needs is a top flight android phone with MIUI. I guarantee you'll probably never look back at ios again.

Ehh - I beg to differ. The difference lies in that many of the actions/functions one wants to do are baked into the Android software versus there being an app for it on iOS.

Generally speaking, there's an app for everything one would want or need to do. That's not to say there's an app for every WAY someone wants to do something - simply that it is possible to accomplish the same end tasks.

Dontazemebro
Apr 22, 2013, 03:35 PM
Then Mighty Text will work perfectly.

----------

Ehh - I beg to differ. The difference lies in that many of the actions/functions one wants to do are baked into the Android software versus there being an app for it on iOS.

Generally speaking, there's an app for everything one would want or need to do. That's not to say there's an app for every WAY someone wants to do something - simply that it is possible to accomplish the same end tasks.

I'm not talking about your everyday end tasks, there are just certain things you can't do with the iPhone (jailbreak or not) that you can with android, like hook up 3rd party peripherals.

For example, I subscribe to Onlive gaming which lets me stream the latest games on my pc as opposed to having to purchase a hard copy and download it. I can play straight from my phone using the onlive app, plus I can hook up a PS3 controller and have the ultimate gaming session.

Another example, I was at a buddys house yesterday watching the NBA playoffs and we started talking about movies. There was one particular movie I hadn't seen yet (Project X) so I torrented it right to my phone in less than 20 mins and then blasted it straight to my friend's tv using an mhl adapter so we could all enjoy it.

Just can't do that with the iPhone.

tjl3
Apr 22, 2013, 04:16 PM
I'm not talking about your everyday end tasks, there are just certain things you can't do with the iPhone (jailbreak or not) that you can with android, like hook up 3rd party peripherals.

For example, I subscribe to Onlive gaming which lets me stream the latest games on my pc as opposed to having to purchase a hard copy and download it. I can play straight from my phone using the onlive app, plus I can hook up a PS3 controller and have the ultimate gaming session.

Another example, I was at a buddys house yesterday watching the NBA playoffs and we started talking about movies. There was one particular movie I hadn't seen yet (Project X) so I torrented it right to my phone in less than 20 mins and then blasted it straight to my friend's tv using an mhl adapter so we could all enjoy it.

Just can't do that with the iPhone.

You win! You can do almost everything on Android, you simply can't on iPhone!

In anycase, we all know iOS is closed. You can't really fault Apple for not having approved OnLive yet, and then saying well since app X is not available, OS Y can do more. (I remember someone who switched from iOS to Android asked me, how do I install the NBC app for Android. We searched, it did not exist). Also, while you downloaded a torrent for Project X, you could just as easily rent/buy the movie. Again, different means (legal) to acomplish the end goal.

Dontazemebro
Apr 22, 2013, 05:08 PM
You win! You can do almost everything on Android, you simply can't on iPhone!

In anycase, we all know iOS is closed. You can't really fault Apple for not having approved OnLive yet, and then saying well since app X is not available, OS Y can do more. (I remember someone who switched from iOS to Android asked me, how do I install the NBC app for Android. We searched, it did not exist). Also, while you downloaded a torrent for Project X, you could just as easily rent/buy the movie. Again, different means (legal) to acomplish the end goal.

Main point is 3rd party peripherals (Bluetooth keyboards, controllers, usb otg cables). Onlive and torrents are just sub points.

The iGentleman
Apr 22, 2013, 07:40 PM
To be quite frank, I thought it was a rather ridiculous comment too. I'd have probably characterized it the same way he did.

Apple isn't on the cutting edge when it comes to introducing features to their phones. This is obvious. But I've seen plenty of people champion Android for that feature alone. It's dangerous to just praise something for "innovation" when this innovation may not be worthwhile or useful.
Dangerous? I'm not sure there is any danger per se..... That said, so you feel no innovation is better than some innovation? :eek:

There are definitely things about Android that iOS needs. But even the fastest, most feature filled, most spec-beast Android phone doesn't feel as consistently smooth and lag-free as an iPhone 5.
I totally disagree here. The Nexus 4 does not lag and is just as "smooth" as the iPhone 5. The iPhone 5 has its stutter moments every now and again too by the way.

I've tried Galaxy S3, Nexus 4 (outstanding phone) and several other of the top-tier Android offerings. Google even created a "Project Butter" for Jelly Bean to make their operating system smooth. Apple doesn't need that; it already is smooth.
But what Apple does need is projects to add basic functionality such us a full bluetooth stack...

Do you want a phone that, despite not having a quad core and 2 GB of ram still out-benchmarks other phones?
Really? Benchmarks? You who benchmarks are important to?...message board frequenters who want to brag about what device does what a fraction of a millisecond faster than another one. In today's smartphone landscape, all high-end phones are fast and have high performance, so talking about benchmarks is pretty meaningless.

There's advantages to both. All I see on the internet is that "Apple doesn't innovate" and that the iPhone's screen is too small.
What has Apple done with the iPhone in the last few years that was innovative? :confused:

MVRL
Apr 22, 2013, 10:13 PM

There are definitely things about Android that iOS needs. But even the fastest, most feature filled, most spec-beast Android phone doesn't feel as consistently smooth and lag-free as an iPhone 5. I've tried Galaxy S3, Nexus 4 (outstanding phone) and several other of the top-tier Android offerings. Google even created a "Project Butter" for Jelly Bean to make their operating system smooth. Apple doesn't need that; it already is smooth.

It depends on what you want from a phone. Do you want a brand new Android device, with all the newest features (maybe! HTC One doesn't ship with newest Android update) and best specs?

Apple was on top for awhile. People aren't comparing Apple to a single company, they're comparing them to the bulk of companies producing Android devices. Apple releases a phone a year. Of course the iPhone 5 is lagging behind the newest Android devices..because they're new!

I'm rambling, sorry. All my point is saying is that jamming feature after feature into a phone doesn't necessarily make it better.

not just because I disagree with you, but because the comment is simply ridiculous and ignorant..

and the ignorance continues, there's no point arguing, nothing will ever change your blind apple loyalty. it'd essentially be like trying to convert a christian to be an atheist..in a million years maybe..

if you see the world from inside a well, you would think the world is a tiny place, but if you were to get out of the well, then have a look, you might find the world to be very different from what you previously imagined..perhaps..

-from a distressed iP5 owner

Bacong
Apr 22, 2013, 10:15 PM
lol

bmac4
Apr 22, 2013, 10:24 PM
To be quite frank, I thought it was a rather ridiculous comment too. I'd have probably characterized it the same way he did.

Dangerous? I'm not sure there is any danger per se..... That said, so you feel no innovation is better than some innovation? :eek:

I totally disagree here. The Nexus 4 does not lag and is just as "smooth" as the iPhone 5. The iPhone 5 has its stutter moments every now and again too by the way.

But what Apple does need is projects to add basic functionality such us a full bluetooth stack...

Really? Benchmarks? You who benchmarks are important to?...message board frequenters who want to brag about what device does what a fraction of a millisecond faster than another one. In today's smartphone landscape, all high-end phones are fast and have high performance, so talking about benchmarks is pretty meaningless.

What has Apple done with the iPhone in the last few years that was innovative? :confused:

Ok so I am going to start this off by saying I am not a Apple guy. I prefer android when it come to phones. With that said does Apple really have to innovate with the iPhone? Look at the sales. I talked about this in my own thread, but I think Apple and its fans think they have created the best possible phone they can. They have hit the sweet spot if you will.

Look at who Apple sells most of their phones to. It is not us tech people that need or want the lastest technology. They are selling to just an average person that wants a phone that can make calls, text people, connect to the internet, and email. Beyond those things they may or may not ever even use any of the other features. The iPhone does all those things well. Apple makes all this very easy, and they have a brand that everyone knows. Average Joe does not need innovation.

I love android because they have to innovative. I want the latest in technology. I wanted a 5 inch screen. I am not most people. I have had 3 smartphones in the last 9 months. It is very hard to get someone like me to be a loyal customer when it comes to technology. I get bored really easily, and want that brand new thing. I studied marketing in college, and I would hate to have to sell a brand to someone like me. Apple can get by without marketing to someone like me. If I buy their products that is just a plus for them.

Apple is only innovating when they have to be. Right now they don't.

The iGentleman
Apr 22, 2013, 10:49 PM
Ok so I am going to start this off by saying I am not a Apple guy. I prefer android when it come to phones. With that said does Apple really have to innovate with the iPhone? Look at the sales. I talked about this in my own thread, but I think Apple and its fans think they have created the best possible phone they can. They have hit the sweet spot if you will.

Look at who Apple sells most of their phones to. It is not us tech people that need or want the lastest technology. They are selling to just an average person that wants a phone that can make calls, text people, connect to the internet, and email. Beyond those things they may or may not ever even use any of the other features. The iPhone does all those things well. Apple makes all this very easy, and they have a brand that everyone knows. Average Joe does not need innovation.

I love android because they have to innovative. I want the latest in technology. I wanted a 5 inch screen. I am not most people. I have had 3 smartphones in the last 9 months. It is very hard to get someone like me to be a loyal customer when it comes to technology. I get bored really easily, and want that brand new thing. I studied marketing in college, and I would hate to have to sell a brand to someone like me. Apple can get by without marketing to someone like me. If I buy their products that is just a plus for them.

Apple is only innovating when they have to be. Right now they don't.

I didn't ask do they need to innovate to sell phones. My question was, what have they innovated in the last few years?

bmac4
Apr 23, 2013, 05:46 AM
I didn't ask do they need to innovate to sell phones. My question was, what have they innovated in the last few years?

No not like android, but I was trying to explain why I say no. If I did not explain people would jumped on my for hating Apple.

Now in terms of innovation for Apple. Honestly they have not really done much that pushes the envelop. Now I will give them putting Siri on the iPhone pretty innovating. Now had they created Siri that would have been a much bigger deal that just buying company and using it. Is cutting edge and innovation what Apple is all about?

jrswizzle
Apr 23, 2013, 08:21 AM

Nothing - there hasn't been any mobile phone innovation since 2007.....

Then again, I have a much bigger definition of innovation. I know some believe features that some use and some don't should count as innovation. Not every neat idea spawns a revolution of the industry - which is what I think true innovation brings about.

We're in the evolution stage of smartphones - its not a bad thing. The problem is people expect too much - when the reality is, its been 5.5 years since the iPhone created the smartphone boom. Only 5.5 years.....that's nothing. And its only been 3 years since the iPad.

These are incredibly short amounts of time to have gotten to where we are. That in itself is amazing to me.

The iGentleman
Apr 23, 2013, 08:22 AM
No not like android, but I was trying to explain why I say no. If I did not explain people would jumped on my for hating Apple.

Now in terms of innovation for Apple. Honestly they have not really done much that pushes the envelop. Now I will give them putting Siri on the iPhone pretty innovating. Now had they created Siri that would have been a much bigger deal that just buying company and using it. Is cutting edge and innovation what Apple is all about?

Siri isn't an Apple innovation as it was already available in the app store prior to them acquiring the company. They basically just took something that was already widely available to their user base, and limited it to just the 4S users (at that time). To answer your question, no they certainly are not about being cutting edge or innovation. It has long been my position that Apple sells yesterday's technology for today's prices, basically selling less for more.

jrswizzle
Apr 23, 2013, 08:24 AM
Siri isn't an Apple innovation as it was already available in the app store prior to them acquiring the company. They basically just took something that was already widely available to their user base, and limited it to just the 4S users (at that time). To answer your question, no they certainly are not about being cutting edge or innovation. It has long been my position that Apple sells yesterday's technology for today's prices, basically selling less for more.

People mistake a difference in philosophy for inferiority or out-dated tech.

Like I've always held - if you think that way, there are plenty of great phones out there. No reason to belittle another's choice by insinuating Apple has somehow brainwashed them into buying an iPhone.

There are legitimate reasons people (like myself) buy iPhones. And those reasons don't need to be legitimate to anyone else but the purchaser - because ultimately its a personal purchasing choice.

bmac4
Apr 23, 2013, 08:26 AM

Then again, I have a much bigger definition of innovation. I know some believe features that some use and some don't should count as innovation. Not every neat idea spawns a revolution of the industry - which is what I think true innovation brings about.

We're in the evolution stage of smartphones - its not a bad thing. The problem is people expect too much - when the reality is, its been 5.5 years since the iPhone created the smartphone boom. Only 5.5 years.....that's nothing. And its only been 3 years since the iPad.

These are incredibly short amounts of time to have gotten to where we are. That in itself is amazing to me.

Heres the thing Apple knew their customers when they were making the iphone. They knew what was going to sell, and that was the iphone. You are iphones have evolved not really innovated. Why do they need to they just keep selling.

jrswizzle
Apr 23, 2013, 08:30 AM
Heres the thing Apple knew their customers when they were making the iphone. They knew what was going to sell, and that was the iphone. You are iphones have evolved not really innovated. Why do they need to they just keep selling.

Precisely. ;)

I bet we see some big changes soon though. All this talk about iOS 7, the cheaper iPhone and a larger iPhone - I think it all happens and propels Apple forward.

Personally - I'd like for them to start (in iOS 7) by letting Yahoo's weather and stocks apps replace the defaults.....those defaults are terrible and Yahoo has put out some wonderful apps recently - Apple is already using their data, they don't compete with Yahoo - why not give them the "Google Maps" treatment and make them defaults? Would certainly prove to me they aren't letting anything fall through the cracks.

bmac4
Apr 23, 2013, 08:33 AM

Yes siri was available in the app store, but no one really used it. Apple put it on the iPhone, and people went crazy over it. I am not saying they did anything special with siri they just new how to sell it. I kind of call that innovation. They knew how to market a feature that had already been available.

----------

Precisely. ;)

They will innovate when they need to. I for one say it might be time, but that is cause I want them to change, but guess what they could careless about someone like me thinks. I am not a loyal iPhone user, so they need not worry about me.

mattopotamus
Apr 23, 2013, 08:34 AM
Yes siri was available in the app store, but no one really used it. Apple put it on the iPhone, and people went crazy over it. I am not saying they did anything special with siri they just new how to sell it. I kind of call that innovation. They knew how to market a feature that had already been available.

----------

They will innovate when they need to. I for one say it might be time, but that is cause I want them to change, but guess what they could careless about someone like me thinks. I am not a loyal iPhone user, so they need not worry about me.

B.c it could not perform functions on the phone....it was basically just a Q and A

jrswizzle
Apr 23, 2013, 08:34 AM

Well - given the biggest changes to the iPhone line have come in 2007 & 2010 (with the iPhone 4), we might be due for one.....

The iGentleman
Apr 23, 2013, 08:48 AM
Out of curiosity, what innovation do you think took place in 2007? Also, please be specific.

You don't have a bigger definition, you have an incorrect definition. Innovation is introducing something new that hasn't been done before.

Smartphones have become much more capable, such that more and more web browsing is taking place on phones and less so on computers. Unfortunately, while many are progressing quite rapidly, there are others that remain stagnant.

jrswizzle
Apr 23, 2013, 08:57 AM
Out of curiosity, what innovation do you think took place in 2007? Also, please be specific.

I think the original iPhone - which essentially began the smartphone revolution/boom was the last innovation.

You don't have a bigger definition, you have an incorrect definition. Innovation is introducing something new that hasn't been done before.

Not necessarily - an invention would be something that hasn't existed before. I'm not saying Apple invented the smartphone (they didn't).

And even so, I'd argue Apple's iPhone introduced a smartphone to a lot of people who either were never interested/never wanted to use one before.

But I appreciate the condescending tone - the definition for innovation varies greatly depending on who you ask and where you look. Based on your definition I'd ask you who innovated in the last decade? Smartphones have been around for quite some time - does it count as innovation if something exists but no one uses it or knows its there? How is a product with little use/public awareness more innovative than one which completely changes the way people interact and live their lives? Like it or not - marketing is a big component of innovation.

If I create a time machine, but don't tell anyone about it and keep it to myself - sure its a sweet invention (and I would be credited with it), but you can't call that innovation, because the other component of innovation is its effect on the population and future tech.

Smartphones have become much more capable, such that more and more web browsing is taking place on phones and less so on computers. Unfortunately, while many are progressing quite rapidly, there are others that remain stagnant.

Ok? You are correct, they have become quite capable. But just because YOU think one is stagnant doesn't mean someone else doesn't think its wonderful. I personally can do everything I need and more on both my Nexus 4 AND my iPhone 5.

And I don't think the spec wars and redundant features (however "neat" they are) really count as huge progress.....evolutionary changes. For instance (and I was curious and skeptical at first) 1080p screens really don't mean anything in a smartphone. Comparing my iPhone 5 to the HTC One, I couldn't tell any difference looking at them side-by-side......this coming from the guy who can tell a NOTICEABLE difference between the iPhone 4S and 5 and the iPad 2 and 3.

So is something which doesn't really add any overall benefit to the user experience really major progress? Or have we kind of hit a plateau where content cant match the current hardware and uses of the devices?

hexonxonx
Apr 23, 2013, 09:00 AM
You can always have both, just buy an unlocked iPhone/Android and you can use either one or both. I use a 4S and a Nexus 4. Both are unlocked and I can swap the sims between the two at any time.

I honestly love both phones.

The iGentleman
Apr 23, 2013, 09:05 AM
People mistake a difference in philosophy for inferiority or out-dated tech.
I'd say people mistake inferiority or outdated tech for a difference in philosophy.

Like I've always held - if you think that way, there are plenty of great phones out there. No reason to belittle another's choice by insinuating Apple has somehow brainwashed them into buying an iPhone.
I have never once stated anything even remotely close to saying anyone has been brainwashed by anyone...

There are legitimate reasons people (like myself) buy iPhones. And those reasons don't need to be legitimate to anyone else but the purchaser - because ultimately its a personal purchasing choice.
Congratulations... though I don't see how that statement has anything at all to do with what was being discussed. You just brought that (and the above quote) out at random. I'm not sure why you felt the need to randomly throw out that people aren't being brainwashed, and that there are legit reasons for why people buy the iPhone, as I did not suggest to the contrary. :confused:

I agree with you. Apple doesn't need to innovate because they know that their customers will buy the next iPhone regardless of it lacking innovation and it being a bit archaic. If you're Apple, it makes sense to keep going to the well until it starts to run dry. If your customer doesn't demand more, then there is no reason to give them more (if they are happily willing to accept less).

----------

Advertising is definitely not innovation. Of course Apple can reach more people than a small developer, especially if they include the app on the phone and air commercials about it. A savvy business move? Yes. Innovation? Not in the least.

jrswizzle
Apr 23, 2013, 09:07 AM
You can always have both, just buy an unlocked iPhone/Android and you can use either one or both. I use a 4S and a Nexus 4. Both are unlocked and I can swap the sims between the two at any time.

I honestly love both phones.

Best of both worlds - perfect way to go if you can swing it IMO. I'm rocking an iP5 and N4 as well - fun to use both. It honestly causes me to appreciate the strengths of each and to realize that I dictate my phone usage, not the other way around - I tend to use both phones for the same tasks. Having an Android hasn't suddenly opened my eyes to all these new things I was missing on my iPhone.

Simply a different way to do things - which is refreshing from time to time. ;) Hoping to get my hands on a GS3 and HTC One to test out some skinned experiences.

mattopotamus
Apr 23, 2013, 09:07 AM
damn those archaic iphones, damn them all

jrswizzle
Apr 23, 2013, 09:18 AM
I'd say people mistake inferiority or outdated tech for a difference in philosophy.

Well obviously we aren't in agreement. Although I think I have more evidence to back up my claims than you given the engineering required to create the iPhone 5 hardware. As for the software, I'll readily admit there are things that need changing/updating. But Android isn't perfect - there are things in 4.2.2 that drive me nuts and are seemingly simple things to fix. Both Apple and the Android OEMs have different philosophies - I don't think there's any denying that.

I have never once stated anything even remotely close to saying anyone has been brainwashed by anyone...

Congratulations... though I don't see how that statement has anything at all to do with what was being discussed. You just brought that (and the above quote) out at random. I'm not sure why you felt the need to randomly throw out that people aren't being brainwashed, and that there are legit reasons for why people buy the iPhone, as I did not suggest to the contrary. :confused:

What does this quote insinuate then about people who purchase Apple - there is a pretty prominent generalization that goes around that the iPhone is an inferior product. If Apple sells more iPhones than anyone else sells of their flagship, would that not contradict the theory that the iPhone is inferior? If it doesn't - what are you saying about the millions who purchase the iPhone? Are they being duped? Are they stupid? Are you saying those who purchase iPhones aren't as sophisticated as those who have Androids? You tell me then what you would insinuate from the below quote.

I agree with you. Apple doesn't need to innovate because they know that their customers will buy the next iPhone regardless of it lacking innovation and it being a bit archaic. If you're Apple, it makes sense to keep going to the well until it starts to run dry. If your customer doesn't demand more, then there is no reason to give them more (if they are happily willing to accept less).

Advertising is definitely not innovation. Of course Apple can reach more people than a small developer, especially if they include the app on the phone and air commercials about it. A savvy business move? Yes. Innovation? Not in the least.

There is a component of marketing and advertising necessary to bring about a true innovation.

The iGentleman
Apr 23, 2013, 09:22 AM
I think the original iPhone - which essentially began the smartphone revolution/boom was the last innovation.
Well that assertion was obvious in your last statement. I meant be specific about what it was that was innovative.

And even so, I'd argue Apple's iPhone introduced a smartphone to a lot of people who either were never interested/never wanted to use one before.
I agree. There were better smartphones out at the time of the iPhone's release (and before), but most people didn't even know about them, because they were only marketed through business channels as business devices. Apple took the smartphone concept, and sold it as an entertainment device. When I bought my first smartphone around '04-'05, I used to wonder why they didn't market them to the masses. I said then that whoever does that, will make a killing because they make great entertainment devices.

But I appreciate the condescending tone - the definition for innovation varies greatly depending on who you ask and where you look.
No. Maybe people have a definition that they WANT it to be, but the definition of innovation is quite clear.

in·no·va·tion noun \ˌi-nə-ˈvā-shən\

: the introduction of something new
: a new idea, method, or device : novelty
— in·no·va·tion·al adjective

Based on your definition I'd ask you who innovated in the last decade? Smartphones have been around for quite some time - does it count as innovation if something exists but no one uses it or knows its there? How is a product with little use/public awareness more innovative than one which completely changes the way people interact and live their lives?

Like it or not - marketing is a big component of innovation.
Wrong again. Marketing has nothing to do with innovation. You don't seem to understand what innovation is or means.

If I create a time machine, but don't tell anyone about it and keep it to myself - sure its a sweet invention (and I would be credited with it), but you can't call that innovation, because the other component of innovation is its effect on the population and future tech.
Yes, it would be an innovation. People being familiar with something has nothing to do with it being innovative or not. If I come up with a great new recipe/food, is the food any less good just because many people don't know about it? Of course not, the food still would taste the same regardless of who knows about it.

Ok? You are correct, they have become quite capable. But just because YOU think one is stagnant doesn't mean someone else doesn't think its wonderful. I personally can do everything I need and more on both my Nexus 4 AND my iPhone 5.
That's fine. They can think something is wonderful in its stagnated form. There is nothing wrong with that.

And I don't think the spec wars and redundant features (however "neat" they are) really count as huge progress.....evolutionary changes. For instance (and I was curious and skeptical at first) 1080p screens really don't mean anything in a smartphone. Comparing my iPhone 5 to the HTC One, I couldn't tell any difference looking at them side-by-side......this coming from the guy who can tell a NOTICEABLE difference between the iPhone 4S and 5 and the iPad 2 and 3.
I'm sorry but the One's display looks better than the iPhone 5's, and the difference is noticeable. Sorry but there is no downplaying that. As for specs, it doesn't really matter in the Apple world, because iOS is not designed in such a way that it needs horsepower like that. Due to it's lack of sophistication, there really is no need for a quad-core processor or 2gb of RAM, as the OS doesn't do anything that would really benefit from it.

Or have we kind of hit a plateau where content cant match the current hardware and uses of the devices?
I don't think specs matter as much at this point. With quad-core processors and 2gb of RAM being the norm, I don't think specs will be what will set the phones apart now. At this point, it will be more the innovations that will matter. A great example of that is Samsung's Multiview, that is an excellent addition that adds value to their phones.

jrswizzle
Apr 23, 2013, 09:25 AM
Well that assertion was obvious in your last statement. I meant be specific about what it was that was innovative.

I agree. There were better smartphones out at the time of the iPhone's release (and before), but most people didn't even know about them, because they were only marketed through business channels as business devices. Apple took the smartphone concept, and sold it as an entertainment device. When I bought my first smartphone around '04-'05, I used to wonder why they didn't market them to the masses. I said then that whoever does that, will make a killing because they make great entertainment devices.

No. Maybe people have a definition that they WANT it to be, but the definition of innovation is quite clear.

Based on your definition I'd ask you who innovated in the last decade? Smartphones have been around for quite some time - does it count as innovation if something exists but no one uses it or knows its there? How is a product with little use/public awareness more innovative than one which completely changes the way people interact and live their lives?

Wrong again. Marketing has nothing to do with innovation. You don't seem to understand what innovation is or means.

Yes, it would be an innovation. People being familiar with something has nothing to do with it being innovative or not. If I come up with a great new recipe/food, is the food any less good just because many people don't know about it? Of course not, the food still would taste the same regardless of who knows about it.

That's fine. They can think something is wonderful in its stagnated form. There is nothing wrong with that.

I'm sorry but the One's display looks better than the iPhone 5's, and the difference is noticeable. Sorry but there is no downplaying that. As for specs, it doesn't really matter in the Apple world, because iOS is not designed in such a way that it needs horsepower like that. Due to it's lack of sophistication, there really is no need for a quad-core processor or 2gb of RAM, as the OS doesn't do anything that would really benefit from it.

I don't think specs matter as much at this point. With quad-core processors and 2gb of RAM being the norm, I don't think specs will be what will set the phones apart now. At this point, it will be more the innovations that will matter. A great example of that is Samsung's Multiview, that is an excellent addition that adds value to their phones.

Ok.

The iGentleman
Apr 23, 2013, 09:38 AM
Well obviously we aren't in agreement. Although I think I have more evidence to back up my claims than you given the engineering required to create the iPhone 5 hardware. As for the software, I'll readily admit there are things that need changing/updating. But Android isn't perfect - there are things in 4.2.2 that drive me nuts and are seemingly simple things to fix. Both Apple and the Android OEMs have different philosophies - I don't think there's any denying that.
No there isn't any more evidence to "back up" your claim, than mine. It simply is a difference of perspectives. You call a failure to innovate a mere difference in philosophy, while I call it a shortcoming. As I've said to you before, some of us expect more while some of us are willing to accept and are happy with less. It is simply a preference, you are entitled to yours as I am mine.

What does this quote insinuate then about people who purchase Apple - there is a pretty prominent generalization that goes around that the iPhone is an inferior product.
It insinuates nothing. I'm not sure why you are so defensive, such that you find so-called insinuations in something that has none.

If Apple sells more iPhones than anyone else sells of their flagship, would that not contradict the theory that the iPhone is inferior?
No. It doesn't at all. Just because something sells, doesn't mean it is superior. It simply means it's popular. Many people buy the iPhone off the name alone, because that's a prominent name they are familiar with. The average person doesn't know about the capabilities of one phone over the other, hence why the iPhone can be popular even though it offers less. Most people don't require very much from their phones, so they can be quite happy with an iPhone. On the other hand, there are some that actually do require more from our phones, and the iPhone simply doesn't fit the bill.

If it doesn't - what are you saying about the millions who purchase the iPhone? Are they being duped? Are they stupid?
Are you saying those who purchase iPhones aren't as sophisticated as those who have Androids? You tell me then what you would insinuate from the below quote.
Reference the above statement.

There is a component of marketing and advertising necessary to bring about a true innovation.
Wrong again. Marketing has abosolutely NOTHING to do with innovation. If I invent a smartphone battery that lasts one week between charges, and can be fully charged in 20 minutes, it's an innovation. Whether or not it is marketed has nothing to do with it being an innovation. Marketing just lets people know about my innovation, but it does not make it an innovation.

bmac4
Apr 23, 2013, 09:43 AM

I will have to agree with you that the One's screen does look better. It is noticeable too. I wrote about this on one of my threads. Apple ever since the iPhone 4 with the retina display have been telling everyone how great their screen it. Well now we have come to the point where their PPI does not match android devices. Sure the iphone's screen looks great, but that is not to say there can't be better, and I believe there is. I think this is one area Apple thought they might dominant for a long time.

Carouser
Apr 23, 2013, 10:12 AM
You call a failure to innovate a mere difference in philosophy, while I call it a shortcoming. As I've said to you before, some of us expect more while some of us are willing to accept and are happy with less. It is simply a preference, you are entitled to yours as I am mine.

lmao

"It is simply a preference. I prefer good things, you prefer to settle for bad things. Why are you so upset?"

EDIT: I missed "iPhone users and Android users have different needs, that's all there is to it. Also, Android users have higher needs than iPhone users. Why are you so upset?"

See dude, you don't need to post a wall of text, I summarized it there for you.

knucklehead
Apr 23, 2013, 10:14 AM

My Nexus 4 isn't as smooth as my iPod Touch 5, which is a generation behind the iPhone 5 processor wise. You can just go to the home screen and wiggle your finger back and forth, and the N4 lags following your finger like it's had a drink or two too many and shouldn't be allowed to drive home. I think a lot of the "smoothness" impression of the UI comes from things like the bounce back feature of iOS - it's simply more pleasant to use than hitting the jarring stop in Android. I don't consider the N4 Ui overly laggy, just not as consistently smooth as my Touch 5.

... of course some people might just have lower standards, and be perfectly content with a lesser user experience ... :D

One area where I've found Android to be actually bad at, is dealing with long documents. I haven't found an android PDF reader or word processor that handles scrolling or navigating to a point in long documents well at all. Perhaps KLP, better apps, or the current generation of Android super phones just being released will be better at this.

tjl3
Apr 23, 2013, 10:25 AM

I lol'd. Just not sure why you are completely against choice and preference. My iPhone does more for me than my Nexus. I prefer the way it gets tasks done over android. I don't see why that is wrong. I wouldn't see why someone who prefers things done via android would be wrong either.

I don't accept less and I expect more. But I think iPhone is a great product. As a consumer there isn't anything android is offering to me personally that compromises the iPhone experience.

jrswizzle
Apr 23, 2013, 10:28 AM
I lol'd. Just not sure why you are completely against choice and preference. My iPhone does more for me than my Nexus. I prefer the way it gets tasks done over android. I don't see why that is wrong. I wouldn't see why someone who prefers things done via android would be wrong either.

I don't accept less and I expect more. But I think iPhone is a great product. As a consumer there isn't anything android is offering to me personally that compromises the iPhone experience.

Impossible. There isn't any way someone could buy an iPhone and actually get things done/do REAL tasks with it given its obsolete and inferior technology. :rolleyes:

Don't bother bud.....there will always be the "one is better than the other". No amount of evidence can change it. Just continue to be happy in your choices and ignore it - and in threads like this, if someone asks "Apple or Android" - simply respond with "either way you go, you can't lose. Try them out and pick the best for you."

There really isn't any other right answer.

bmac4
Apr 23, 2013, 10:32 AM
My Nexus 4 isn't as smooth as my iPod Touch 5, which is a generation behind the iPhone 5 processor wise. You can just go to the home screen and wiggle your finger back and forth, and the N4 lags following your finger like it's had a drink or two too many and shouldn't be allowed to drive home. I think a lot of the "smoothness" impression of the UI comes from things like the bounce back feature of iOS - it's simply more pleasant to use than hitting the jarring stop in Android. I don't consider the N4 Ui overly laggy, just not as consistently smooth as my Touch 5.

... of course some people might just have lower standards, and be perfectly content with a lesser user experience ... :D

One area where I've found Android to be actually bad at, is dealing with long documents. I haven't found an android PDF reader or word processor that handles scrolling or navigating to a point in long documents well at all. Perhaps KLP, better apps, or the current generation of Android super phones just being released will be better at this.

I have never experienced lag like what you are talking about on the home screens. Do you have some kind of crazy live wallpaper or something? What kind of widgets are you using? There should be no lag. I for one never had this issue.

jrswizzle
Apr 23, 2013, 10:36 AM
I have never experienced lag like what you are talking about on the home screens. Do you have some kind of crazy live wallpaper or something? What kind of widgets are you using? There should be no lag. I for one never had this issue.

Lol - bmac, just like his story you offer anecdotal evidence. Try to not to take it to seriously when people say things like that. Anecdotal evidence should be taken with MOUNDS of salt....

I find my iPhone 5 a bit more responsive than my Nexus 4, but the N4 is certainly not laggy. I never would've given Android a chance if it lagged like it did back in the pre-ICS (Project butter) days.

Since this thread is an iPhone or Android thread, I feel I can ask this question here....

Why do people (1) not understand there is a difference in philosophy between the two OSes (as it should be - I'd hope they don't end up becoming the same) and (2) dismiss one as inferior to the other simply because they don't prefer it?

I legitimately want someone to answer those two questions for me please. And be specific and concise, try to not attack anyone.

hexonxonx
Apr 23, 2013, 10:37 AM
My Nexus 4 is the fastest phone I have ever used. Like you, there is no lag. I get an email notification, open it and the email opens almost instantly. It's insane how fast this thing is.

I wish my Nexus were this fast but it's still not bad speed wise.

knucklehead
Apr 23, 2013, 10:52 AM

Did you actually try wiggling your finger back and forth? On my Touch, the screen stays pretty well stuck to my finger as it reverses direction - not nearly so much on my N4 (or my N7). Yes, It's pretty much like a drunk test.

No live wallpaper. Just Evernote widget. Fresh restart. No background apps running (I think the thing about lag being OK because it just means the little elves are working so hard for you in the background, is leftover Android Koolaid for the days when lag was a big problem).

Is it a problem? No. It's pretty insignificant, but real none the less. The other point about bounce back is more significant, but still just a preference for "feel".

The large document issue _is_ significant.

bmac4
Apr 23, 2013, 11:01 AM
Lol - bmac, just like his story you offer anecdotal evidence. Try to not to take it to seriously when people say things like that. Anecdotal evidence should be taken with MOUNDS of salt....

I find my iPhone 5 a bit more responsive than my Nexus 4, but the N4 is certainly not laggy. I never would've given Android a chance if it lagged like it did back in the pre-ICS (Project butter) days.

Since this thread is an iPhone or Android thread, I feel I can ask this question here....

Why do people (1) not understand there is a difference in philosophy between the two OSes (as it should be - I'd hope they don't end up becoming the same) and (2) dismiss one as inferior to the other simply because they don't prefer it?

I legitimately want someone to answer those two questions for me please. And be specific and concise, try to not attack anyone.

1. People that have iOS or android want to feel like they have the best phone, so they want to believe the other OS is trying to be like the OS they have. It makes people think they have something special if they have what everything else wants to be. I guess that is just human nature. I for one prefer android, but I understand iOS is something completely different that is for different user than me. Some people just will never get this.

2. Again it goes back to them wanted their phone to be the best. We want to be believe we have the best of the best. I choose to believe that android is better for me, but iOS is better for a lot of people. Take my mom for example. She loves her iPhone and that was the phone I told her to get. I would never try to get her to get android. She barely uses half of the features on the iPhone, and that is because those are the ones she understands. She is not stupid she just could careless about technology. IOS more times than not works well for people like my mom. The cool thing about iOS is that is can be a very easy to use OS, but also you can do some pretty cool things if you know what you are doing. Android I really do think is a bit more complex to work with. It is by no means hard just more complex.

I like both and appreciate for what they have done. All I can say is what is better for me.

bmac4
Apr 23, 2013, 11:17 AM
Did you actually try wiggling your finger back and forth? On my Touch, the screen stays pretty well stuck to my finger as it reverses direction - not nearly so much on my N4 (or my N7). Yes, It's pretty much like a drunk test.

No live wallpaper. Just Evernote widget. Fresh restart. No background apps running (I think the thing about lag being OK because it just means the little elves are working so hard for you in the background, is leftover Android Koolaid for the days when lag was a big problem).

Is it a problem? No. It's pretty insignificant, but real none the less. The other point about bounce back is more significant, but still just a preference for "feel".

The large document issue _is_ significant.

Look at these two videos and tell me there is a difference and there is lag.

Dontazemebro
Apr 23, 2013, 11:24 AM

I don't think it really has anything to do with differing philosophies and I've said this before. At the end of the day, Android can just do more. Whether it's their philosophy or not it's just the point blank truth.

What I want to know is, why do people get so butt hurt when you say this.

To be honest, my one x+ feels like a mini laptop while my iphone 4 just feels like an overpriced mp4 player. It is what it is.

Tinmania
Apr 23, 2013, 11:29 AM
Did you actually try wiggling your finger back and forth?
You have got to be kidding. Good lord.

Michael

maxosx
Apr 23, 2013, 11:30 AM
My Nexus 4 is the fastest phone I have ever used. Like you, there is no lag. I get an email notification, open it and the email opens almost instantly. It's insane how fast this thing is.

I too am very impressed with the speed, as well as many other advantages of my Nexus 4.

If only Apple would do what I _KNOW_ they are capable of, I could be praising Apple instead of the competition.

My iPhone 5 is a poor second place as compared to not only my Nexus 4, but also my Note II, and Galaxy S3.

But it's a new day, and I'm hopeful that Apple will wake up at some point and get back to doing what they do best. Building world class products in all categories.

I would like nothing better than to buy a new iPhone (whatever model name) with a modern sized display.

Then promote it to my _Primary_ smartphone.

A position that each of my prior iPhones have occupied until Android surpassed iOS's usefulness with true multitasking efficiency and other great features that only Android has at this juncture.

Apple's iOS being sandboxed, has a real challenge on their hands.

knucklehead
Apr 23, 2013, 11:33 AM

Michael

Nope.

Apparently, a lot of people need help seeing lag ...

Tinmania
Apr 23, 2013, 11:37 AM
Nope.

Step away from the keyboard and look at what you are writing, man. Seriously.

The N4 doesn't have lag. If you want to stand on one foot and jump up and down to make it seem like it does what the heck does it matter?

Michael

bmac4
Apr 23, 2013, 11:38 AM
Nope.

No you just seem to be the only one that is making claims like this. I guess you have messed something up on your nexus 4. Only thing I can think of.

bmac4
Apr 23, 2013, 11:54 AM
So this could answer part of our discussion.
http://m.gizmodo.com/5995260/the-only-thing-apple-really-sells

People buy into an ecosystem and the person writing this article is right Apple has the biggest one of all. Now I switch back and forth with no problems, but I think most people have bought into the thought that once you have gone with Apple you need to stay because all your apps are there. I again I am on the minority on this, but I still think this rings true.

jrswizzle
Apr 23, 2013, 12:01 PM
I don't think it really has anything to do with differing philosophies and I've said this before. At the end of the day, Android can just do more. Whether it's their philosophy or not it's just the point blank truth.

Then you don't understand iOS.

What I want to know is, why do people get so butt hurt when you say this.

Because its nonsense and what is implied is that someone's choice/preferences in smartphone (and the activities they do) are trivial because the iPhone can't do any REAL tasks - whether you mean it that way or not.

To be honest, my one x+ feels like a mini laptop while my iphone 4 just feels like an overpriced mp4 player. It is what it is.

To be honest both my smartphones feel like smartphones. I'd hate to have to type long papers on either device and there is limited real estate - of course I could hook up a keyboard to either but as a device, my phone does what it does.

And both devices do the same tasks - your example of torrent streaming (ethics aside) doesn't prove anything - I can just as easily rent/buy and watch the same movie on my iPad and iPhone.

Like I've said before - the process in completing the action may differ - but generally speaking, you tell me an end result you want done and ill be able to do it on my iPhone.

Whether or not the way I do it is better or worse is completely up to preference. There are things I prefer on iOS and things I prefer on Android. For instance I had to switch to my iPhone to respond to you because selecting text on my N4 is about the most infuriating thing I've ever done...

Neither is perfect - both will continue to evolve - but the fallacy that iOS is some little kid OS while Android is superior perfection is complete horse-sh**. Can you really not see how such a comment might offend someone? Smartphones are relatively personal devices.....

----------

So this could answer part of our discussion.
http://m.gizmodo.com/5995260/the-only-thing-apple-really-sells

People buy into an ecosystem and the person writing this article is right Apple has the biggest one of all. Now I switch back and forth with no problems, but I think most people have bought into the thought that once you have gone with Apple you need to stay because all your apps are there. I again I am on the minority on this, but I still think this rings true.

You hit the nail on the head Bmac - there's more to a smartphone purchase than specs and "features".

maxosx
Apr 23, 2013, 12:03 PM
Now I switch back and forth with no problems, but I think most people have bought into the thought that once you have gone with Apple you need to stay because all your apps are there. I again I am on the minority on this, but I still think this rings true.
I don't let my relatively major investment in apps influence what I use.

In fact I've spent a lot on apps for both platforms. Not because I like to have lots of apps. To the contrary, it's not until I have purchased and used the app that I know whether it's a good one for my needs.

It's a fact of life whether you are talking about computer software applications, or smartphone apps. If one cannot afford to migrate at will, then perhaps it's another issue that is stopping them.

If I used the excuse "I've got too much invested in Windows Software to switch to a Mac" I would have cheated myself drastically.

If others are completely happy with the iPhone and how it serves them, then that is a valid and good reason not to switch to another platform. Just say so. Overcome the fear to be honest.

But to say "I don't switch because I have too much invested in apps" or words to that affect is a response that seems like a weak excuse to me.

Why not just admit you either cannot afford to switch, or don't really want to.

bmac4
Apr 23, 2013, 12:07 PM
Then you don't understand iOS.

Because its nonsense and what is implied is that someone's choice/preferences in smartphone (and the activities they do) are trivial because the iPhone can't do any REAL tasks - whether you mean it that way or not.

To be honest both my smartphones feel like smartphones. I'd hate to have to type long papers on either device and there is limited real estate - of course I could hook up a keyboard to either but as a device, my phone does what it does.

And both devices do the same tasks - your example of torrent streaming (ethics aside) doesn't prove anything - I can just as easily rent/buy and watch the same movie on my iPad and iPhone.

Like I've said before - the process in completing the action may differ - but generally speaking, you tell me an end result you want done and ill be able to do it on my iPhone.

Whether or not the way I do it is better or worse is completely up to preference. There are things I prefer on iOS and things I prefer on Android. For instance I had to switch to my iPhone to respond to you because selecting text on my N4 is about the most infuriating thing I've ever done...

Neither is perfect - both will continue to evolve - but the fallacy that iOS is some little kid OS while Android is superior perfection is complete horse-sh**. Can you really not see how such a comment might offend someone? Smartphones are relatively personal devices.....

----------

You hit the nail on the head Bmac - there's more to a smartphone purchase than specs and "features".

Me or you buy based on specs and features because we like technology. My mom and sister could careless. They want Apple because they have heard they have the most apps, and now that they are invested in iOS they will stay.

----------

I don't let my relatively major investment in apps influence what I use.

In fact I've spent a lot on apps for both platforms. Not because I like to have lots of apps. To the contrary, it's not until I have purchased and used the app that I know whether it's a good one for my needs.

It's a fact of life whether you are talking about computer software applications, or smartphone apps. If one cannot afford to migrate at will, then perhaps it's another issue that is stopping them.

If I used the excuse "I've got too much invested in Windows Software to switch to a Mac" I would have cheated myself drastically.

If others are completely happy with the iPhone and how it serves them, then that is a valid and good reason not to switch to another platform. Just say so. Overcome the fear to be honest.

But to say "I don't switch because I have too much invested in apps" or words to that affect is a response that seems like a weak excuse to me.

Why not just admit you either cannot afford to switch, or don't really want to.

Look at people that don't really care about technology. Someone that just wants a phone that can connect to the internet on the go and check email. They heard the iPhone was the best. They buy it and start to download apps. They are now invested in ios, and they want nothing to do with trying to worry about getting the apps on another OS. It would be more work then they want to put in.

jrswizzle
Apr 23, 2013, 12:13 PM
Me or you buy based on specs and features because we like technology. My mom and sister could careless. They want Apple because they have heard they have the most apps, and now that they are invested in iOS they will stay.

I actually don't buy based on specs or a feature list.

bmac4
Apr 23, 2013, 12:20 PM

Oh ok. Well I am not so invested in one that I cant switch when I want to. If a phone has poor specs I want buy it. That is not all that I base my decision on, but it can be a factor. The reason I got the nexus 4 was not based just on specs or features. I trust the nexus line of phones and it has only been good to me. I like android and this is the purest form of it. That is the main thing that I like about the phone is pure android. No carrier in the way to tell me I can't do this and that. So I guess android is what sold me. For you I would assume iOS is what you want, and the iPhone 5 offers the fastest experience of iOS. I don't buy because of am invested. I buy because of the OS, and well the phone has to run the OS well. That is were the specs come into play.

jrswizzle
Apr 23, 2013, 12:28 PM
Oh ok. Well I am not so invested in one that I cant switch when I want to. If a phone has poor specs I want buy it. That is not all that I base my decision on, but it can be a factor. The reason I got the nexus 4 was not based just on specs or features. I trust the nexus line of phones and it has only been good to me. I like android and this is the purest form of it. That is the main thing that I like about the phone is pure android. No carrier in the way to tell me I can't do this and that. So I guess android is what sold me. For you I would assume iOS is what you want, and the iPhone 5 offers the fastest experience of iOS. I don't buy because of am invested. I buy because of the OS, and well the phone has to run the OS well. That is were the specs come into play.

Oh sure, specs play a role - for me, any of the flagship phones can do everything I need to do and more. Other things like customer support, software updates/support, look and feel of the device, the quality of apps (and if they are available or not - in what form/version) and to be honest, how I feel about the company selling them all come into play.

Otherwise, I doubt I'd ever make a decision on one - they (flagships) are all great, fast with nice displays especially this year. Hard choices lie ahead!

LIVEFRMNYC
Apr 23, 2013, 12:31 PM

Then what do you buy for?

Design, screen size, reliability, functionality(besides features), etc?

bmac4
Apr 23, 2013, 12:31 PM
Oh sure, specs play a role - for me, any of the flagship phones can do everything I need to do and more. Other things like customer support, software updates/support, look and feel of the device, the quality of apps (and if they are available or not - in what form/version) and to be honest, how I feel about the company selling them all come into play.

Otherwise, I doubt I'd ever make a decision on one - they (flagships) are all great, fast with nice displays especially this year. Hard choices lie ahead!

I did a test today on my nexus 4's battery. I normally just keep WiFi on all the time because I can get it at my house and at work. Well I am going to lose about 2 hours being off the charger. Like I said yesterday I get about 15-16 hours battery life. Today it is looking more like 13-14.

jrswizzle
Apr 23, 2013, 12:41 PM
I did a test today on my nexus 4's battery. I normally just keep WiFi on all the time because I can get it at my house and at work. Well I am going to lose about 2 hours being off the charger. Like I said yesterday I get about 15-16 hours battery life. Today it is looking more like 13-14.

I will say - without JuiceDefender on, my battery is draining more quickly. Despite the assertion from another poster that I'm clueless, I do actually know a few things....

I don't have wifi here at work so my phone is always on the data network. JD continuously polls the network (off, then on) instead of leaving the connection on all the time. What it does is limits the amount of times my phone searches for a stronger signal (the signal isn't always that great here) while still allowing texts and emails to come through regularly.

A drawback is that, upon waking the device, it sometimes takes a few seconds to reconnect fully to the data network. Not really a huge deal for me.

Because of all this JD is a big battery saver when the phone is in standby mode - not really when its in use. It also turns my wifi on for me when I get home, and turns it off when I leave - something people use NFC tags for (which is why I brought it up in the first place in that NFC thread that derailed really quickly).

I haven't used my personal phone hardly at all today - I'm at 71% just from being in standby mode with everything (wifi, bluetooth, gps) off.

I was still about 80% by the time I got home yesterday which is another 5 hours from now.....

Also - not really noticeable increase in battery drain through the Android system (something people had reported happening with JD).

All-in-all, if you run stock, I'd recommend JuiceDefender Plus (the version I have).

EDIT: You get better battery life than I do because you are always on wifi.....much less standby drain when on wifi than on a data connection (which I am on at work).

Essenar
Apr 23, 2013, 12:47 PM

lol. You'd buy a bag of poop if it had the Apple logo on it and claim it's 100% better than Android's bag of oranges. "Oh but you can eat the oranges? I can eat poop too! Anything you can do with those oranges, I can do with this poop!"

There's a difference between blind loyalty and acknowledging glaring differences.

Widgets:
Can you check your news feeds on an iPhone? Yes. But I see mine as soon as I unlock my screen. Right there in my Pulse widget. Engadget's new reviews, the results of the UFC last weekend, did they catch the Boston criminal? All of it right on my screen on a widget. I just scroll left and right and quickly check through.
You have to click an icon. And your icon, if you're organized, is inside a folder. So for you it's: click, swipe, pin, swipe, click, click. (Reduced to 5 if your pulse is in a folder on your first screen, not likely)
For me it's: click, drag, pin and there it is.
But wait, right underneath my Pulse widget is my calendar. Oh I have an appointment in 30 minutes? What else do I have today? Just scroll and check.

For you, you have to exit out of the app and then go to your Calendar icon. Everything you need to do or view requires you to go back to the home screen. That home button is so necessary.

The best part is, I don't need notifications for my lock screen to be useful. My lockscreen has weather, my email and how far I am from home in both distance and time based on traffic conditions.

I loved my iPhone 5. It is, and I say this in 100% confidence, the BEST built phone in the market. Period. The brushed diamond-cut aluminum and thin bezel. It's a gorgeous phone and I was hard struck trying to justify getting rid of it. A lot of what it came down to was that, I was just proud to hand it to people when I wanted to get their number or email. It ALWAYS got complements. "Wow this is the iPhone 5? It's so _______." And the blank was ALWAYS quite a compliment, ranging from "pretty" to "slick" to "badass". But at the end of the day, my $200 Nexus 7 tablet made me more productive than my $650 smart phone.

So I got a Nexus 4 and now I'm at least 30-40% more productive with my phone.

(I'll die before I sell my iPad though)

jrswizzle
Apr 23, 2013, 12:48 PM
Then what do you buy for?

Design, screen size, reliability, functionality(besides features), etc?

I meant that to say I don't buy solely on specs - obviously I won't go out to get a 4 year old phone.

Frankly though, pretty much all the flagship devices of the major OEMs (Samsung, Apple, HTC, Sony, LG, hell even BB and Nokia) would do what I need them to do (specs wise).

For me customer service/support, software updates and support, overall ecosystem (how my smartphone interacts with my other devices), app quality, design of the hardware (the way it looks and feels) all play a role in my decision making.

I haven't come across a task yet that I couldn't complete using my iPhone - whether or not the method to complete certain tasks needs updating or improving however is an entirely different story. There are plenty of things that need updating/improving both in iOS and Android.

Using both simultaneously, I've grown to appreciate each for its strengths. Looking forward to trying out some of the skinned Android experiences - the HTC One will be my next upgrade and I'm looking at picking up a used GS3 either from my brother-in-law (who's eyeballing the GS4) or on eBay.

bmac4
Apr 23, 2013, 12:59 PM
I meant that to say I don't buy solely on specs - obviously I won't go out to get a 4 year old phone.

Frankly though, pretty much all the flagship devices of the major OEMs (Samsung, Apple, HTC, Sony, LG, hell even BB and Nokia) would do what I need them to do (specs wise).

For me customer service/support, software updates and support, overall ecosystem (how my smartphone interacts with my other devices), app quality, design of the hardware (the way it looks and feels) all play a role in my decision making.

I haven't come across a task yet that I couldn't complete using my iPhone - whether or not the method to complete certain tasks needs updating or improving however is an entirely different story. There are plenty of things that need updating/improving both in iOS and Android.

Using both simultaneously, I've grown to appreciate each for its strengths. Looking forward to trying out some of the skinned Android experiences - the HTC One will be my next upgrade and I'm looking at picking up a used GS3 either from my brother-in-law (who's eyeballing the GS4) or on eBay.

Oh thinking about the S3. It will be much different then the nexus 4, but still a good phone.

jrswizzle
Apr 23, 2013, 01:01 PM
lol. You'd buy a bag of poop if it had the Apple logo on it and claim it's 100% better than Android's bag of oranges. "Oh but you can eat the oranges? I can eat poop too! Anything you can do with those oranges, I can do with this poop!"

You should probably read at least my signature, if not my other posts before insulting me....I am not a blind follower (despite the sarcastic line below my posts). I actually quite enjoy my N4 and feel that, at least as long as I can swing having two phone lines, using both an Android and iOS device is the best.

There's a difference between blind loyalty and acknowledging glaring differences.

Of course the two are different....I never said they weren't? If by differences you mean issues/problems, I have no problems acknowledging those as well. For instance the default iOS apps (ones like stocks, weather, even more recent like iBooks and Newsstand) need a lot of work. I personally would love to see Apple give the default stocks and weather apps placement over fully to Yahoo (much like Apple did with google maps for so long). Yahoo weather is absolutely the best weather app I've ever used (on both devices)

Widgets:
Can you check your news feeds on an iPhone? Yes. But I see mine as soon as I unlock my screen. Right there in my Pulse widget. Engadget's new reviews, the results of the UFC last weekend, did they catch the Boston criminal? All of it right on my screen on a widget. I just scroll left and right and quickly check through.
You have to click an icon. And your icon, if you're organized, is inside a folder. So for you it's: click, swipe, pin, swipe, click, click. (Reduced to 5 if your pulse is in a folder on your first screen, not likely)
But wait, right underneath my Pulse widget is my calendar. Oh I have an appointment in 30 minutes? What else do I have today? Just scroll and check.

Yet another who doesn't understand that each OS has a different philosophy (I'm not saying one is better than the other - simply that they are different).

iOS is all about the apps and in-app experience. One of the reasons devs tend to focus on the iOS versions of their apps and refine those more than an Android version.

Android (and most of the skins) try to pack a lot of the functionality into the OS and on the home screen. In-app experience is secondary.

I'm not about to tell you which is better - you prefer one, someone else prefer's the other. That's why they both exist. Choices are neat huh?

For you, you have to exit out of the app and then go to your Calendar icon. Everything you need to do or view requires you to go back to the home screen. That home button is so necessary.

Not necessarily true - while I do need the home button, a double click takes me to the multitasking tray and I can switch back to the app I was previously on, or one I had open a while ago.

Another place I hope Apple improves is adding gestures (much like the iPad's to access the multitasking tray and swipe between different apps without even going into the tray).

The best part is, I don't need notifications for my lock screen to be useful. My lockscreen has weather, my email and how far I am from home in both distance and time based on traffic conditions.

Ok? You find this information useful, I do not. I know how far away from my house I am (and I know the traffic patterns) - plus I always had trouble getting Google now to be completely accurate.

Even so, to show all that info still require waking the device and swiping through certain screens/lockscreen widgets. Not much easier than simply unlocking the device and tapping a weather icon, or swiping down.....

Or better yet, in the car, asking Siri to tell me. Again - this is all preference. I'm just making the point that what works well for you, doesn't necessarily work well for everyone. If it works for you, that's what matters.

I loved my iPhone 5. It is, and I say this in 100% confidence, the BEST built phone in the market. Period. The brushed diamond-cut aluminum and thin bezel. It's a gorgeous phone and I was hard struck trying to justify getting rid of it. A lot of what it came down to was that, I was just proud to hand it to people when I wanted to get their number or email. It ALWAYS got complements. "Wow this is the iPhone 5? It's so _______." And the blank was ALWAYS quite a compliment, ranging from "pretty" to "slick" to "badass". But at the end of the day, my $200 Nexus 7 tablet made me more productive than my $650 smart phone.

Indeed - look and feel go into my personal smartphone buying decision. Its also another highly subjective area.

I've personally experienced no increase in productivity. I use both my Nexus 4 and iPhone 5 to do the same tasks, albeit in different ways from time to time.

I'm glad that it works so well for you though! That is what one's buying decision should be based on - what works for that specific individual!

Dontazemebro
Apr 23, 2013, 01:04 PM

----------

Swizzle I think you're missing my point. The torrenting for example, you mentioned that you can just as well buy/rent the movie as an end result. While this is true, I can do the same as well...... but I also have torrents as an option. This is what I mean when I say Android can do more.

Yes, same results achievable but I have more methods at my disposal to achieve said results.

The fact is that we normally equate more with better. More pay is better, more knowledge is better, etc. That's just human nature.

jrswizzle
Apr 23, 2013, 01:13 PM
Swizzle I think you're missing my point. The torrenting for example, you mentioned that you can just as well buy/rent the movie as an end result. While this is true, I can do the same as well...... but I also have torrents as an option. This is what I mean when I say Android can do more.

Yes, same results achievable but I have more methods at my disposal to achieve said results.

The fact is that we normally equate more with better. More pay is better, more knowledge is better, etc. That's just human nature.

Gotcha - I appreciate the explanation. I, personally, don't think more options to do the same thing is necessarily better (unless one of those ways is better) - but as I said, the process in doing things isn't what I was discussing.

Most of the time these discussions center around the fact the iPhone CAN'T do some task/function - they never get into why certain ways of doing a task/function are better than others - an entirely different discussion.

I'm perfectly capable and will readily admit, iOS doesn't do everything perfectly. Then again, neither does Android. That is my overall point. Neither is perfect, and neither is better for everyone.

LIVEFRMNYC
Apr 23, 2013, 01:19 PM

For me personally ...... I appreciate a bump in specs up to a certain point to keep up with the times and requirements of software, after that certain point, it become redundant and only useful for benchmark claims. It's like comparing two street liter bikes over a difference in a top speed of 5mph. Both bikes are going to be ridiculously fast and only the insane would go top speed on a public road.

As far as features go ...... I love features. Many I rarely or never use, but many I'll use often or can't live without. IMO, a good feature or two can really separate a phone from the rest (even Apple knows this). Which is partly why I'm going for the S4. Also, some features end up becoming standard requirements. Kind of like how back up cameras are becoming standard in new model cars.

My main reason for purchase is functionality, reliability and design. The iPhone still has me sold with reliability, but so do the top tiered Android phones. I'm not into the design of the iPhone anymore until they do a major screen size bump. Functionality is something I've come to hate about the iPhone/iOS. Not because of what it can or can't do, but mainly cause it doesn't let me operate it the way I want. And the way someone wants it is always the most productive for that individual. Android let's me operate it the way I want, like an actual desktop OS. This is also why I never gave Windows Phone a try.

Tinmania
Apr 23, 2013, 01:22 PM

But it is only better if it is done better as well. It is only recently that Android has gotten better at doing things "better." I'm not sure it is up to iOS level of consistency and smoothness, but it has gotten markedly better.

Many years ago, when I was young, I drooled when the Newton was announced. Bought one soon as they were released. It could, in theory, do quite a lot. But most of what it did it did badly. It got better and I stayed with it through a few subsequent models.

Then, in 1996, the Palm Pilot came out. It didn't do nearly as much as the Newton. But what it did it did tremendously well. I switched to it in a heartbeat and never looked back.

Well, that is, until 2007. By then I was still using a descendant of that Palm Pilot: a Treo smartphone. But it hadn't evolved much with the times and was getting to be a real chore to use. The iPhone, just like the Palm Pilot more than 10 years prior, did less but did it significantly better.

The Android situation is different though. It started out more like the Newton: did a whole lot but the execution was slow and the experience was not all that great. It is only now that it has just about caught up, experience-wise. It is still ahead feature-wise, naturally.

It will be interesting to see what Apple's next move is.

Michael

mattopotamus
Apr 23, 2013, 01:26 PM
But it is only better if it is done better as well. It is only recently that Android has gotten better at doing things "better." I'm not sure it is up to iOS level of consistency and smoothness, but it has gotten markedly better.

Many years ago, when I was young, I drooled when the Newton was announced. Bought one soon as they were released. It could, in theory, do quite a lot. But most of what it did it did badly. It got better and I stayed with it through a few subsequent models.

Then, in 1996, the Palm Pilot came out. It didn't do nearly as much as the Newton. But what it did it did tremendously well. I switched to it in a heartbeat and never looked back.

Well, that is, until 2007. By then I was still using a descendant of that Palm Pilot: a Treo smartphone. But it hadn't evolved much with the times and was getting to be a real chore to use. The iPhone, just like the Palm Pilot more than 10 years prior, did less but did it significantly better.

The Android situation is different though. It started out more like the Newton: did a whole lot but the execution was slow and the experience was not all that great. It is only now that it has just about caught up, experience-wise. It is still ahead feature-wise, naturally.

Michael

This may be one of the best post I have read on these forums. I remember using my palm treo :)

jrswizzle
Apr 23, 2013, 01:37 PM
This may be one of the best post I have read on these forums. I remember using my palm treo :)

I concur - a well-said explanation!

And I'm glad we have a distinction between the process and the end result. Generally, you can achieve the same end results on both types of phones - the process is where things get muddy and where a lot of the separation has come for Apple.

Separation, which is dwindling (and for some, is completely gone) as Android's experience becomes more refined.

bmac4
Apr 23, 2013, 01:41 PM

Michael

Great post.

mattopotamus
Apr 23, 2013, 01:42 PM
I concur - a well-said explanation!

And I'm glad we have a distinction between the process and the end result. Generally, you can achieve the same end results on both types of phones - the process is where things get muddy and where a lot of the separation has come for Apple.

Separation, which is dwindling (and for some, is completely gone) as Android's experience becomes more refined.

I think that is weird too...a nexus phone straight from google, and it has two default mail apps?!?! =/

jrswizzle
Apr 23, 2013, 01:45 PM
I think that is weird too...a nexus phone straight from google, and it has two default mail apps?!?! =/

To be honest, I like the Gmail app - just don't want to funnel all my emails through gmail.

Tinmania
Apr 23, 2013, 01:50 PM

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. :)

Michael

Dontazemebro
Apr 23, 2013, 01:52 PM

Michael

Only reason why I would disagree with you is because "done better" then becomes subjective and now we're right back at square 1.

Looking at it through my POV, we can eliminate any subjectivity whatsoever.

Still good points though and yours as well sizzle.

jrswizzle
Apr 23, 2013, 01:54 PM
Only reason why I would disagree with you is because "done better" then becomes subjective and now we're right back at square 1.

Looking at it through my POV, we can eliminate any subjectivity whatsoever.

Still good points though and yours as well sizzle.

Ya - I've gotten into this with onthecouchagain as well - I just don't think there's any way around the subjectivity.

Objectively, all we would have to go by is the spec sheet (which doesn't translate given each OS is different) and to try and count the number of features each has (which then leads to answering how relevant does something have to be to be considered a feature)....

Just have to come to terms with the fact, there is no objective answer to "iPhone or Android". And that's completely fine :D

Man, this is extremely refreshing - a civil discussion with great points made all around. Congrats gentlemen!

bmac4
Apr 23, 2013, 01:58 PM
Even a broken clock is right twice a day. :)

Michael

You are one best poster on this site.

mattopotamus
Apr 23, 2013, 02:02 PM
To be honest, I like the Gmail app - just don't want to funnel all my emails through gmail.

I only use gmail, so it is a non issue for me. I just think that is a really weird decision on their part. That would be like apple having a separate mail app for just icloud plus the default one. Just make the default one work!

jrswizzle
Apr 23, 2013, 02:08 PM
I only use gmail, so it is a non issue for me. I just think that is a really weird decision on their part. That would be like apple having a separate mail app for just icloud plus the default one. Just make the default one work!

Completely agree

tjl3
Apr 23, 2013, 03:25 PM

Widgets:

I don't have to unlock my iPhone to find out the UFC results or a news headline. It gets pushed to my lock screen w/ short summary, same with reminders... The misconception about widgets is that it gives you everything you need w/o launching the app. You likely can't read an entire email from a widget, I know you can't read an entire story, and you can't send messages. All three of those tasks require you to launch the application. Not knocking widgets, cuz I'd love them on iPhone, but looks like you're bitching and moaning still about not knowing how to use an iPhone.

I am curious though, what are you using to display all that on your lock screen? Or are you just using lockscreen widgets? I avoid lockscreen widgets at all cost on my Nexus 4, highly inefficient and needs to be redone in KLP.

bmac4
Apr 23, 2013, 03:30 PM
I don't have to unlock my iPhone to find out the UFC results or a news headline. It gets pushed to my lock screen w/ short summary, same with reminders... The misconception about widgets is that it gives you everything you need w/o launching the app. You likely can't read an entire email from a widget, I know you can't read an entire story, and you can't send messages. All three of those tasks require you to launch the application. Not knocking widgets, cuz I'd love them on iPhone, but looks like you're bitching and moaning still about not knowing how to use an iPhone.

I am curious though, what are you using to display all that on your lock screen? Or are you just using lockscreen widgets? I avoid lockscreen widgets at all cost on my Nexus 4, highly inefficient and needs to be redone in KLP.

Why don't you like the lock screen widgets?

tjl3
Apr 23, 2013, 03:47 PM
Why don't you like the lock screen widgets?

I think I posted on one thread before about it. On stock JB at least, you can only have 1 widget per page. And to swipe to the next page you have to grab the edge of the screen, which is awkward in itself. Not all widgets are available, and some 'actions' when dealing w/ widgets need you to unlock your phone anyway.

So to me, unless you are locked to a strong password, it's just as fast unlocking your phone. Of course the first page is useful b/c it is most accessible, but lock screen widgets seem like a beta feature, not a very good user experience. Widget locker is a more pleasant experience and it has its flaws too.

Sense and Touchwiz might have there own lockscreen implementations, yes? If I saw right on the S4 and One reviews, they looked pretty nifty, better than stock.

bmac4
Apr 23, 2013, 03:51 PM
I think I posted on one thread before about it. On stock JB at least, you can only have 1 widget per page. And to swipe to the next page you have to grab the edge of the screen, which is awkward in itself. Not all widgets are available, and some 'actions' when dealing w/ widgets need you to unlock your phone anyway.

So to me, unless you are locked to a strong password, it's just as fast unlocking your phone. Of course the first page is useful b/c it is most accessible, but lock screen widgets seem like a beta feature, not a very good user experience. Widget locker is a more pleasant experience and it has its flaws too.

Sense and Touchwiz might have there own lockscreen implementations, yes? If I saw right on the S4 and One reviews, they looked pretty nifty, better than stock.

Yea I think it is a work in progress. I don't mind the part about having to touch the edge of the screen because the phone is made with those curved edges which feels great. I agree I think they need some more work, but they have the right idea.

knucklehead
Apr 23, 2013, 03:56 PM
Look at these two videos and tell me there is a difference and there is lag.

What two videos?

bmac4
Apr 23, 2013, 03:57 PM
What two videos?

Sorry I can not post videos from the tapatalk app. I recorded myself swiping back and forth on both my iPhone and nexus 4.

tjl3
Apr 23, 2013, 04:02 PM
Yea I think it is a work in progress. I don't mind the part about having to touch the edge of the screen because the phone is made with those curved edges which feels great. I agree I think they need some more work, but they have the right idea.

Also, I've mentioned this quite a few times too. iPhone would benefit so much more from lock screen widgets than Android if for nothing else then because iPhone always wakes to the lockscreen where Android doesn't necessarily. Another reason I don't bother with lockscreen widgets is because it's only useful if I hit my passlock time out. But I'll withhold any further judgement until KLP.

knucklehead
Apr 23, 2013, 04:29 PM
Sorry I can not post videos from the tapatalk app. I recorded myself swiping back and forth on both my iPhone and nexus 4.

I think you're not reading my posts right. I said wiggle your finger back and forth, not swipe between screens. The lag is apparent when you switch directions and the screen lags in following the change.

I'm saying the same thing Michael says here, but both of you don't seem to realize it:

But it is only better if it is done better as well. It is only recently that Android has gotten better at doing things "better." not sure it is up to iOS level of consistency and smoothness, but it has gotten markedly better.

Michael

If you go back and read through my posts, again you might just get it.

I do find iOS smoother overall, but Android on the N4 is pretty smooth (N7 less so). Not really a problem .... except for when it comes to dealing with long documents. Then it is a real problem, and not just for myself:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1561199

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1464667&page=9

The second link, you can start from post 221 on page 9. The Edge website has since changed it's website, so that particular test is no longer valid -- But my claims were corroborated at the time. No one has yet given me an answer to my repeated requests for a word processor that will quickly and smoothly navigate through a long document. PDF readers also do poorly.

bmac4
Apr 23, 2013, 04:36 PM
I think you're not reading my posts right. I said wiggle your finger back and forth, not swipe between screens. The lag is apparent when you switch directions and the screen lags in following the change.

I'm saying the same thing Michael says here, but both of you don't seem to realize it:

If you go back and read through my posts, again you might just get it.

I do find iOS smoother overall, but Android on the N4 is pretty smooth (N7 less so). Not really a problem .... except for when it comes to dealing with long documents. Then it is a real problem, and not just for myself:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1561199

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1464667&page=9

The second link, you can start from post 221 on page 9. The Edge website has since changed it's website, so that particular test is no longer valid -- But my claims were corroborated at the time. No one has yet given me an answer to my repeated requests for a word processor that will quickly and smoothly navigate through a long document. PDF readers also do poorly.

I am done wasting my time with you. You have nothing to back up your claims, and I have seen no one say the same things you have.

knucklehead
Apr 23, 2013, 04:38 PM
I am done wasting my time with you. You have nothing to back up your claims, and I have seen no one say the same things you have.

And I thought you might have been a sensible one ... :confused:

Feel free to run away

bmac4
Apr 23, 2013, 04:54 PM
And I thought you might have been a sensible one ... :confused:

Feel free to run away

How am I not sensible? You are the one that told me I was not reading your post. I was I tested just what you said. I did not have the issue at all. I see no lag in the nexus 4. I am sensible I just don't think you have a sensible argument. If this is true show me some kind of evidence. You are truly the only person I have ever heard say this.

How did Michael say the same thing?

knucklehead
Apr 23, 2013, 06:13 PM
How am I not sensible? You are the one that told me I was not reading your post. I was I tested just what you said. I did not have the issue at all. I see no lag in the nexus 4. I am sensible I just don't think you have a sensible argument. If this is true show me some kind of evidence. You are truly the only person I have ever heard say this.

How did Michael say the same thing?

You seem to be fixated entirely on the most insignificant part of my post. The fact that my N4 lags when you wiggle a finger over the home screen is insignificant even if it applies to all N4's. It's just a simple way to see that my N4 is not some monster that's immune to lag. Mine's stock and about 5 or 6 months old - Got it right when the second batch became available in the US. Perhaps the hardware has changed a bit since then??? I'll stop in a T-mobile and see if I can test it on another unit.

My main point is that I notice that iOS provides an overall better level of smoothness than I get from Android on the devices I own. It's not very significant ... bit I notice it. That's pretty much the same thing Michael was hinting at. Lag is something that has just recently improved greatly on Android (or so I hear ...).
That, plus things like bounce back provide a more pleasant subject experience for me in dealing with the UI. None of this makes the N4, or Android anything near "unusable" -- I have no plan for selling my N4 -- I'm looking forward to KLP!

The one area where I have found a significant problem is dealing with long documents in Android. If someone knows a good PDF reader, or word processor for handling long (200 -300+ pages), I'd be glad to hear about it.

bmac4
Apr 23, 2013, 06:24 PM
You seem to be fixated entirely on the most insignificant part of my post. The fact that my N4 lags when you wiggle a finger over the home screen is insignificant even if it applies to all N4's. It's just a simple way to see that my N4 is not some monster that's immune to lag. Mine's stock and about 5 or 6 months old - Got it right when the second batch became available in the US. Perhaps the hardware has changed a bit since then??? I'll stop in a T-mobile and see if I can test it on another unit.

My main point is that I notice that iOS provides an overall better level of smoothness than I get from Android on the devices I own. It's not very significant ... bit I notice it. That's pretty much the same thing Michael was hinting at. Lag is something that has just recently improved greatly on Android (or so I hear ...).
That, plus things like bounce back provide a more pleasant subject experience for me in dealing with the UI. None of this makes the N4, or Android anything near "unusable" -- I have no plan for selling my N4 -- I'm looking forward to KLP!

The one area where I have found a significant problem is dealing with long documents in Android. If someone knows a good PDF reader, or word processor for handling long (200 -300+ pages), I'd be glad to hear about it.

The post I original quoted you on was only about lag and moving your finger back and forth. That is the only reason I am still talking about it. I have not even looked at your post about PDFs.

knucklehead
Apr 23, 2013, 06:37 PM
The post I original quoted you on was only about lag and moving your finger back and forth. That is the only reason I am still talking about it. I have not even looked at your post about PDFs.

Your memory seems to be playing tricks on you ( the center line was a parody of another posters "obnoxious snob hyperbole" -- for entertainment purposes only :D ):

Originally Posted by knucklehead

bmac4
Apr 23, 2013, 07:27 PM
Your memory seems to be playing tricks on you ( the center line was a parody of another posters "obnoxious snob hyperbole" -- for entertainment purposes only :D ):

Originally Posted by knucklehead

I am really not sure what you want me to say. I have not been reading you post about wanting something to read long PDFs. I am not planning on commenting on that cause I could care less about it. Nor do I ever read long PDFs on a android or iOS device.

Also I guess you are trying to get into an argument about android still having lag and iOS is smoother. I am not going to get into that. I think that has been discussed way to much. I will stick to my OP. I do not have lag with my android device, and I think it does just as well as my iPhone 5 did. You can believe what you want to I could care less.

cynics
Apr 23, 2013, 08:14 PM

Smoothness is a form over function feature Android will never have in comparison to iOS. UI is prioritized over everything else. Do your test on a busy web page in iOS before its done loading. Until you stop the web page won't/can't load. Its easy to bring out the smoothness when its the only thing the device is focusing on. Android meanwhile will continue to load the web page.

As far as PDF's I've never had an issue with quickoffice. But I don't typically deal with 100+ page PDF files. What I would LOVE is an email app that could email more then one PDF file in a single email in iOS!

The iGentleman
Apr 23, 2013, 09:45 PM

As several others have stated, my Nexus 4 is quite smooth and is quite fast and doesn't have lag issues. If you have to go out of your way to try to find or create a problem, then perhaps there really isn't a problem. :eek:

lmao

"It is simply a preference. I prefer good things, you prefer to settle for bad things. Why are you so upset?"

EDIT: I missed "iPhone users and Android users have different needs, that's all there is to it. Also, Android users have higher needs than iPhone users. Why are you so upset?"

See dude, you don't need to post a wall of text, I summarized it there for you.
:confused: ooook...

I'm against choice and preference? When have I ever said people should not have a choice or preference? I even went as far as to state why the iPhone works well for some people... Perhaps you may want to go back and actually read what I wrote, before drawing baseless conclusions. :cool:

Ditto. He's REALLY reaching there.

I wish my Nexus were this fast but it's still not bad speed wise.
Same here. It is hands down the fastest phone I've used...and to be clear, I have used/had an iPhone 5.

Michael
Exact same reaction I had when I read that lol. He's really reaching.

My iPhone 5 is a poor second place as compared to not only my Nexus 4, but also my Note II, and Galaxy S3.

I totally agree. This is why I don't consider the iPhone 5 to be a top 5 phone. I think there are several phones that are better than it, and that number continues to grow.

YourAvgUser
Apr 24, 2013, 01:38 AM
As several others have stated, my Nexus 4 is quite smooth and is quite fast and doesn't have lag issues. If you have to go out of your way to try to find or create a problem, then perhaps there really isn't a problem. :eek:

FWIW, go and read some Android forums: xda, androidcentral, androidpolice. They all describe the Nexus 4 as some lag, but not the worst, definitely something you can live with. Even the GS3 and Note 2 suffer. You can be delusional all you want, hey I own a GS3 and even I notice a bit of lag when I was using Touchwiz. A lot less on CM.

DesertEagle
Apr 24, 2013, 01:56 AM

I like the Do Not Disturb mode with selective filtering of calls. Or did someone else invent that earlier?

bmac4
Apr 24, 2013, 05:56 AM
FWIW, go and read some Android forums: xda, androidcentral, androidpolice. They all describe the Nexus 4 as some lag, but not the worst, definitely something you can live with. Even the GS3 and Note 2 suffer. You can be delusional all you want, hey I own a GS3 and even I notice a bit of lag when I was using Touchwiz. A lot less on CM.

You want to quote some post about people having lag issues with the nexus 4? I am a long time member of androidforums.com, and I post on the nexus 4 section all the time. I see no one talking about lag. The only time I have my nexus 4 slow down is when I am using the Tapatalk app. It seems to take a minute to load, but it does the same thing on my iPhone 5.

mattopotamus
Apr 24, 2013, 06:29 AM
The only time I notice a small bit of lag on the nexus 4 is when I try to scroll through the app drawer as fast as I can. I cannot compare this to an iphone b.c there is no app drawer and the home screens can only go so fast.

knucklehead
Apr 24, 2013, 08:20 AM
Smoothness is a form over function feature Android will never have in comparison to iOS.

Careful! Statements like that can send some folks into spasms around here. :p

UI is prioritized over everything else. Do your test on a busy web page in iOS before its done loading. Until you stop the web page won't/can't load. Its easy to bring out the smoothness when its the only thing the device is focusing on. Android meanwhile will continue to load the web page.

I guess I could argue with how you define what things you associate with "form", and what you associate with "function". I consider myself as the user to be primarily important in the device/user relationship, and how the the interface responds to me matters. For instance, if I'm scrolling through a page, it's because I want to be scrolling through the page - devoting resources to something like animating a GIF while I'm scrolling away from it seems frivolous.
I'm also not sure that it's right to say that Android will never have iOS's smoothness. The difference isn't that large right now (some claim not to notice it), and it will continue to diminish as devices become more powerful.

far as PDF's I've never had an issue with quickoffice. But I don't typically deal with 100+ page PDF files. What I would LOVE is an email app that could email more then one PDF file in a single email in iOS!

I'll check out Quickoffice when I get the chance. Thanks!

cynics
Apr 24, 2013, 09:49 AM
I like the Do Not Disturb mode with selective filtering of calls. Or did someone else invent that earlier?

There's been an assortment of apps that can function the same way as do not disturb. Actually a bit better, certain ones you can set not only times but DAYS. So mon - fri it works sat - sun it's off. You can even set some to automatically send a text message to someone that calls you when it's on like "in a meeting" or something.

DesertEagle
Apr 24, 2013, 10:01 AM
There's been an assortment of apps that can function the same way as do not disturb. Actually a bit better, certain ones you can set not only times but DAYS. So mon - fri it works sat - sun it's off. You can even set some to automatically send a text message to someone that calls you when it's on like "in a meeting" or something.

Ok, but do these apps predate iOS 6?

Oletros
Apr 24, 2013, 10:27 AM

Yes.

Locale and Tasker where developed in 2.009-2.010

cynics
Apr 24, 2013, 10:46 AM

I'm not sure. I'm an iPhone user, I've just seen it on friends phones.

If you are asking if Apple created the idea then no. I had an LG dumb phone with an option to silence and not light up but still show missed calls and text when I turned on. However I don't think I could schedule it.

Edit. I forgot about "Tasker" for Android. That's been around for quite awhile.

droidbook
Apr 24, 2013, 11:28 AM
years ago I had an iphone 3g and once a friend of mine showed me his nexus I was sold. I switched over to android about 5 years ago and never looked back. I love android, like my freedom of doing what I want, I can install what ever I want and expandable memory which was very important me also pull/replace my battery if needed. No more need of having to find an apple store and making an appointment for a bad battery lol or stuck button. iTunes drove me crazy with the syncing and having to change settings when wanting to add music from another computer. Im just really happy with my freedom with my Android running jellybean and battery is great no complaints. I'll admit when android first launched battery life was horrible but now I can go all day and then some with normal use.