PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G4 IP address question

zhivago1955
Apr 20, 2013, 10:31 PM
Hello, I replaced the logic board on my PB G4 1.5 Ghz and noticed the IP address is the same as the previous motherboard. I thought every computer had it's own exclusive IP address with it's own identity. So my question is: Where is the IP address stored on my mean machine?

Thanks from oregon
zhivago

rjcalifornia
Apr 20, 2013, 10:46 PM
Hello, I replaced the logic board on my PB G4 1.5 Ghz and noticed the IP address is the same as the previous motherboard. I thought every computer had it's own exclusive IP address with it's own identity. So my question is: Where is the IP address stored on my mean machine?

Thanks from oregon
zhivago

Isn't the ISP the one that set up your IP address?

simsaladimbamba
Apr 20, 2013, 10:57 PM

Thanks from oregon
zhivago

You confuse the IP (Internet Protocol) address, which is not entirely unique (you have an internal IP to connect to the local network, which is connected to a router and modem, and the modem has an external "unique" IP to connect to the internet, an IP looks like 192.168.1.1 (internal) or 10.0.1.4 (internal) or 83.212.9.32 (external).

You mean the MAC (Media Access Control, not to be confused with "Mac", which is short for Macintosh) address, which is using the hexadecimal system.
A MAC address looks like 0a:25:0g:fe:20:7e.

To check your wired MAC address, open Terminal and enter
ifconfig en0 | grep ether
to find the wireless MAC address:
ifconfig en1 | grep ether

Is that understandable?

----------

Isn't the ISP the one that set up your IP address?

Depends on which IP we talk about, but yes, the ISP is responsible for the external IP.