PDA

View Full Version : Very slow WIFI on iBook G4.

powermi
Apr 21, 2013, 05:56 AM
Hi, i have a great problem with my old ibook g4 when i try to connect to mi ruter, cant even stream music from my powermac server, cause the transfer speed is so slow. I use the build in airport card, for suft the net is OK, but for file transfers is painful, i hace turned off the ipv6, and works a bit better but just with the internet.

With the CAT5 cable everything is ok. anyone with the same problem? any way to fix it? i have search on the forum but havent found nothing else to config the wifi right.

thanks

MisterKeeks
Apr 21, 2013, 09:22 AM
What Airport Card is this (:apple: menu > About this Mac > More Information > Airport)

powermi
Apr 22, 2013, 03:38 PM
is this one.

Tipo de tarjeta inalámbrica: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x4E)
Versión del firmware de la tarjeta inalámbrica: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (4.170.25.8)
Canal inalámbrico: 3

MisterKeeks
Apr 22, 2013, 07:26 PM
It might be that it is only a "G" Wireless card.

Intell
Apr 22, 2013, 09:24 PM
Even a G card would be fast enough to stream music and do file transfers.

rjcalifornia
Apr 22, 2013, 11:18 PM
It might be that it is only a "G" Wireless card.

I have a WiMax NiMo router with no speed issues?

powermi
Apr 23, 2013, 01:24 AM
Yes, its G protocol, and in my ruter is configureg for G too. So anyone with the same issue? any idea how to get the real G speed? cause i am 10 meters from the ruter.

thanks,.

spyguy10709
Apr 23, 2013, 01:43 PM
Yes, its G protocol, and in my ruter is configureg for G too. So anyone with the same issue? any idea how to get the real G speed? cause i am 10 meters from the ruter.

thanks,.
Try making sure the antenna cable is firmly attached to the card.

G4TheWin
Apr 23, 2013, 02:40 PM
Also, these cards are quite flaky. For example, my network card drops the connection about every ten minutes if I don't have my network on WEP. I actually needed to get one of those wireless extenders.

powermi
Apr 23, 2013, 03:56 PM
my card is well wired with the antena, also seems that the signal is most of time the best. i dont know if there are any trick to config some values of the wifi card in order to improve the speed.

I cant even stream music from the server without small music cuts in a 320kbps MP3, with loseless files is impossible.

Thanks a lot.

Serban
Apr 24, 2013, 04:56 AM
I was wondering why there is no ibook anymore for apple, or what product thake his place? MacBookAir?

Intell
Apr 24, 2013, 07:57 AM
I was wondering why there is no ibook anymore for apple, or what product thake his place? MacBookAir?

The iBook was the consumer/educational laptop of Apple's PowerPC lineup from 1999-2005. It was replaced with the Intell based Macbook. While it currently does not have a direct modern equivelant, the Macbook Air would be the closest to it.

powermi
Apr 24, 2013, 12:51 PM
i make another attemp, and the issue is the same with my 1 Ghz powerbook, same problems, even wuth diferent versions of itunes.

DarkSel
Apr 26, 2013, 04:21 PM
i make another attemp, and the issue is the same with my 1 Ghz powerbook, same problems, even wuth diferent versions of itunes.

If you're having the problem with both of your Macs, the problem is probably with the router.

What router do you have/what's your uplink speed?

powermi
Apr 27, 2013, 05:52 AM
Hello, my ruter is TPlink 740n, seems to be good managing the wifi, and even the internet works good. But is strange how i found the same problem on a ibook and a powerbook.

up speed: 200 kbytes.
down speed: 5M

powermi
May 1, 2013, 05:23 AM
SOLVED! problem was with the Qos config from the ruter, cause the media server had low priority, cause most of time is also downloading torrents, after few attamps to improve the conection had to swith it off. and now the streams are quite good.
Thanks for all the replys.

now il have to learn how to limit the torrent speed in the proper way.