PDA

View Full Version : Do you use FullScreen Mode often?

KittyKatta
Apr 21, 2013, 09:29 AM
Ive been using fullscreen mode on my MacBook ever since it was announced, but after recently re-evaluating whether or not it has improved my workflow then I'm not sure if it's actually made things easier or better.

So I'm curious how everyone else likes FullScreen Mode and also which particular apps does it work better at.

benwiggy
Apr 21, 2013, 09:33 AM
I may have missed something, but other than gain the height of the menu bar (and lose a second monitor), I don't see the point.

MisterKeeks
Apr 21, 2013, 09:33 AM
It's good only for one App at a time (like web browsing).

Jessica Lares
Apr 21, 2013, 09:34 AM
Nope. I have my dock on the right side, and then I stretch all my apps to fit the space left over. I work with multiple panels, and so most times they want to try and fit the screen too, so it's a complete nightmare.

ChristianJapan
Apr 21, 2013, 09:44 AM
As I have a second monitor for my iMac full-screen don't make sense the way it's implemented. There is hope Apple once correct its concept; but only very little hope. :(

Fishrrman
Apr 21, 2013, 09:55 AM
I _don't want_ "full screen".

I WANT a menu bar and the options it offers to me available, always.

"Full screen" is for tvs -- not computers.

My opinion only.

Macman45
Apr 21, 2013, 09:57 AM
I think a more middle ground option would have been a better option, but I've ticked rarely...I guess I use it mainly in games on my iMac....X-Plane always runs full screen, but with 27" of real-estate, and since I often have several apps running at once, I guess rarely is about right.

Never would probably fit the bill on my rMBP as I only ever go full screen in Doom...the only game I have on it....the rest if the time it's windows and multi-tasking.

Gav2k
Apr 21, 2013, 09:57 AM
I do. Simple swipe for browser another for mail

Mr. McMac
Apr 21, 2013, 09:59 AM
I use it rarely when browsing certain web pages. That's about it..

Shrink
Apr 21, 2013, 09:59 AM
Seldom, if ever. For my purposes, the loss of the inch at the top of the screen makes no difference.

I can imagine situations where it would be useful for others...but losing the menu and tool bar is a pain when I need to use them.

SandboxGeneral
Apr 21, 2013, 10:15 AM
Very rarely do I use it. About the only time I do is when I really want to focus on what I'm doing or for whatever reason I need to see more on the screen. That doesn't happen often for me.

It's nice when I need it though.

bdrake47
Apr 21, 2013, 10:18 AM
Use it almost all the time for Mail, Safari, and iTunes. Keeps them all a swipe away, and then another desktop or two open for what I'm working on.

eawmp1
Apr 21, 2013, 10:19 AM
I like full screen for video/photo editing to eliminate distraction/desktop light.
Otherwise, not much use for it.

Eithanius
Apr 21, 2013, 10:57 AM
Where's the option for "Only specific Apps"...?

I've only used fullscreen for iTunes... the rest I find them useless...

It's good that iTunes 11 can also support fullscreen on Snow Leopard, it stays fullscreen all the way despite switching from internal display to external display of different resolutions.

chrf097
Apr 21, 2013, 11:47 AM
I use it a lot. I find I actually focus on the task better when I make it full screen.

Serban
Apr 21, 2013, 12:41 PM
Hmm it is a vag question because when i am using may macbook i use full screen all the time, but for iMac i rarely use it. So it depends, for 13" or 15" you maybe use the full screen very often but for over 19" i think you don't need

WSR
Apr 21, 2013, 12:44 PM
First, I didn't vote in the poll since I'm using Snow Leopard, and the Full-Screen mode that most app's use in Snow Leopard is different than ML's official implementation.

If I did have ML, I don't think I would use it.
1) Since ML's Full-Screen mode creates it's own Desktop, going to Full-Screen mode would mess up the order of the Desktops. One of the reasons I'm still with SL is that I prefer the fixed grid of Spaces in SL. So that I don't have to hunt where a usually open app is. I know that Itunes is alway in the top right Space in a 3X3 grid.

2) Also I have 2 monitors, and using ML's Full-Screen mode kills the 2nd monitor. One of my main uses of Full-Screen mode in SL is having a video player on my 2nd monitor in Full-Screen mode. In SL, and from what I hear a few video players that don't use ML's official Full-Screen mode, this leaves the first monitor with the menu and free to do other things.

dacoolest
Apr 21, 2013, 01:01 PM
I'm comfortable with the way of the applications windows in the mac os. I prefer fullscreen only when the app plays a video or something. Other than that, i always prefer normal windows.

KittyKatta
Apr 21, 2013, 05:27 PM
I dont think its about reclaiming that menu bar area, but more about making it "feel" more iOS like by showing you one app at a time. And if thats the case, I dont get it either because I feel the whole "single-tasking" iOS approach has already become outdated and even on an iPad I'm wanting multiple visible apps (or at least a sidebar thing like Windows 8).

Im not bashing fullscreen because I do like it on RSS readers or iTunes where I dont have to interact with the finder or other apps. But with Mail or web browsers I find it a bit awkward to drag links or files in or out of the program. And my biggest peave is that the place FullScreen makes the most sense is Aperture/iPhoto, but when you use FullScreen it completely changes the interface and hides important controls.

Anyway, im still tweaking my workflow but the more I think about it the less I feel that FullScreen fits my computer habits. Maybe next revision will add more visible features to make it more appealing.

DesertEagle
Apr 21, 2013, 06:29 PM
I use it rarely. This is probably because it's relatively new to me, so that I forget it's there. Maybe I would get more things done if I used it more often?

Krazy Bill
Apr 21, 2013, 06:31 PM
Never had it in Snow Leopard, don't need it now, especially Apple's implementation of Full Screen. Multiple monitors don't handle it properly. Seems like a lot of hoopla just to hide a menubar. Other 3rd party apps don't seem to have this problem.

Nermal
Apr 21, 2013, 06:33 PM
Very rarely. I missed it back in System 7 (because I was used to Windows at the time) but that was so long ago that I don't even consider it now. I also tend to not run everything maximised on Windows anymore either.

mentaluproar
Apr 22, 2013, 01:10 AM
when you swipe between multiple desktops regularly, full screen mode is great. I keep itunes and calendar on full screen, school papers and documents on a desktop, and research on another.

Fullscreen mode makes mission control SO useful. Some apps change their entire layout when in fulscreen mode to, so it does more than just hide the menu bar.

Krazy Bill
Apr 22, 2013, 08:43 AM
when you swipe between multiple desktops regularly, full screen mode is great.

What does running apps in Full Screen have to do with using multiple desktops? You can simply avoid full screen and put each app in its own desktop. :confused:

Fullscreen mode makes mission control SO useful. Yet another testimonial from somebody who never uses external monitors. (And most likely, has never used "Spaces" in previous versions of OSX.

Some apps change their entire layout when in fulscreen mode to, so it does more than just hide the menu bar.Not the ones I use. Safari, iTunes, Mail... ironically, Apple apps.

KittyKatta
Apr 22, 2013, 08:50 AM
I use it rarely. This is probably because it's relatively new to me, so that I forget it's there. Maybe I would get more things done if I used it more often?
Probably not. The more I think about it, FullScreen Mode seems to be a solution to a problem that nobody actually had. :p

Were people really having problems with focusing on a program because they can see another program is hiding behind the window? Was there really an outcry for the multitasking personal computer to look like a single tasking tablet? Is seeing the clock really hurting productivity?

Sure, people now claim that FullScreen mode increases their productivity but I highly doubt these people would be unproductive if it never existed. I kinda view it like the hype behind Disney's Cars Land. Nobody EVER said they wanted to visit Radiator Springs but now that it exists then suddenly people act as if it's what they always wanted. (But in reality we just want a Star Wars or Marvel based land.) :D

DJLC
Apr 22, 2013, 08:51 AM
On my MacBook Air, I use it most of the time. Usually just for Safari, Postbox, and Spotify.

On my Mac Mini, I never use it. It's just not useful on a 20" display.

Drew017
Apr 22, 2013, 09:31 AM
I use it a lotů especially because of the 11 inch screen in my MacBook Air. Mostly I keep Notes, Safari, Chrome, and Photo Booth in full screen.

Badagri
Apr 22, 2013, 09:44 AM
It's good only for one App at a time (like web browsing).

Strange way to web browse. Though I can understand for portables. Small screens.

Zwhaler
Apr 22, 2013, 01:44 PM
The poll needs better options than Almost Always and Rarely... I use it frequently for Final Cut Pro X but that's about it.

mentaluproar
Apr 22, 2013, 03:21 PM
What does running apps in Full Screen have to do with using multiple desktops? You can simply avoid full screen and put each app in its own desktop. :confused:

Yet another testimonial from somebody who never uses external monitors. (And most likely, has never used "Spaces" in previous versions of OSX.

Not the ones I use. Safari, iTunes, Mail... ironically, Apple apps.

I actually use both. I hate having multiple monitors on my desk, taking up space. Virtual desktops are my preference. I have used spaces in the past. It was good, butI like this approach more.

Badrottie
Apr 23, 2013, 02:53 AM
full screen for Photo Booth and FaceTime only :apple:

jozeppy26
Apr 23, 2013, 11:28 PM
I use Fullscreen constantly. iTunes, Calendar, Mail, and iMessages are always open and in fullscreen on my 15" rMBP. Safari I usually leave on the desktop (Safari in fullscreen only when I have Adobe Acrobat open since it doesn't support fullscreen). Word and Powerpoint files I'm looking at are in fullscreen. It's so nice to be able to quickly launch a bunch of apps in fullscreen and just 3 finger swipe between running apps. Greatly improves my workflow. It's basically just a quick app switcher for me.

brilliantthings
Apr 24, 2013, 06:38 AM
Can't stand fullscreen. Switching from fullscreen apps to normal apps is often buggy and the animation into the fullscreen mode takes a long time. Not a fan.

mr.thing
Apr 24, 2013, 07:11 AM
I'm using Full screen mode on almost every app, especially those for reading, like Browsers, Reeder, Pocket, etc... Swiping between apps using magic mouse. Makes is a bit of iPad-ish feeling :)

Krazy Bill
Apr 24, 2013, 10:14 AM
Swiping between apps using magic mouse. Makes is a bit of iPad-ish feeling :)I don't understand. Can one actually "swipe" between apps in iOS?

chevelleguy3
Apr 24, 2013, 10:48 AM
I will use it on my 13" MBP due to the smaller screen size. However, on my MP with 2 27" Cinema displays and on my work machine which is a 15" MBP with 2 27" TB displays I never use it due to losing the second screen. If we could use full screen on multiple displays, I would probably use it.

trustever
Apr 24, 2013, 10:58 AM
surprisingly the answers are very well spread!

TyPod
Apr 24, 2013, 11:52 AM
Rarely, I usually connect my laptop to external monitors and the big blank gray screen on the unused screen is annoying.

stchman
Apr 24, 2013, 12:03 PM
I only run Virtualbox, some videos, and games fullscreen.

DesertEagle
Apr 24, 2013, 12:04 PM
I don't understand. Can one actually "swipe" between apps in iOS?

Yes. Try to swipe left-right with 5 fingers on your iPad and you will see.

Krazy Bill
Apr 24, 2013, 04:55 PM
Yes. Try to swipe left-right with 5 fingers on your iPad and you will see.Ah, I see. No iPad here - just an iPhone. This does explain Full Screen app swiping in OSX though.

thejadedmonkey
Apr 24, 2013, 05:05 PM
I can't stand it, give me back my spaces and then os x will be just like snow leopard but with iCloud integration. That's what we all want, right?

Badrottie
Apr 24, 2013, 06:14 PM
Yes. Try to swipe left-right with 5 fingers on your iPad and you will see.

Yeah that is nice feature but I don't use it very often. :apple:

1member1
Apr 27, 2013, 12:56 PM
I use only for specific apps like App Store, mail and feed software.

smokeyrabbit
Apr 27, 2013, 01:01 PM
I put rarely because I use it almost exclusively for my virtual windows and snow leopard machines on my MacBook. I have 4 or 5 desktops on my 27" iMac and I never use full screen on that.

printz
Apr 27, 2013, 03:35 PM
Probably not. The more I think about it, FullScreen Mode seems to be a solution to a problem that nobody actually had. :p

Were people really having problems with focusing on a program because they can see another program is hiding behind the window? Was there really an outcry for the multitasking personal computer to look like a single tasking tablet? Is seeing the clock really hurting productivity?

Sure, people now claim that FullScreen mode increases their productivity but I highly doubt these people would be unproductive if it never existed. I kinda view it like the hype behind Disney's Cars Land. Nobody EVER said they wanted to visit Radiator Springs but now that it exists then suddenly people act as if it's what they always wanted. (But in reality we just want a Star Wars or Marvel based land.) :DActually, OS X has lacked a true window maximize action, and full screen may be Apple's proud answer to this ("why implement this 'maximize' thing other OS have, when we can go all the way with system-wide FULL SCREEN!!")

For me full screen doesn't hide just the menu bar, it also hides the dock. I prefer to keep the dock visible so I can quickly access open applications or folder stacks, but sometimes its presence is distracting, so I turn up full screen.

I always use full screen on games or virtualization software, especially when I use a multitouch device so I can swipe screens.

Lancer
Apr 27, 2013, 06:45 PM
Only in games and video playback but vary rarely for the Apple full screen mode where you click the top right of the window. But I have a 27" iMac so don't really need it.

onirocdarb
Apr 27, 2013, 07:24 PM
how useful the fullscreen feature is is hugely dependent on what size screen you have. Everyone I know with an air or 13' pro uses it regularly. If you have an iMac it is a waste of space.

Mr Kram
Apr 27, 2013, 07:37 PM
never myself, but my kids do when watching movies.

Tech198
Apr 27, 2013, 09:12 PM
Yes...

All the time, when I open Safari, first thing is do is go Full screen, same with iTunes.

In fact, it annoys me, that i must do with Safari all the time, and it doesn't go full screen by default, like Firefox does...

In retrospect, sometimes, i'd even prefer using Firefox just because of this.

I have no idea why Apple still haven't added this feature yet, when they have done it to iTunes.

ideal.dreams
Apr 27, 2013, 10:50 PM
At home, no. I have dual displays and I don't like not having use of one monitor if an app is in full screen on the other.

When I'm not using an external display, yes, I do use apps in full screen mode. Particularly Safari. It really doesn't help my workflow because I'm used to having two displays to multitask. With one display I'm constantly flicking back and forth between apps but I rarely multitask if I'm not sitting at my desk.

petvas
Sep 5, 2013, 09:21 AM
On my rMBP I use it only with Safari. On my MBA I am tempted to use more full screen for Mail and other apps also. OS X gives us lots of options for accessing apps and displaying things on demand, so I think full screen mode works very well.

crjackson2134
Sep 9, 2013, 08:50 PM
I use it all the time. Browser, Ubuntu VMware, Win7 VMware, winXP VMware. I can swipe from one OS to the other with ease.