PDA

View Full Version : Problems with 5th gen due to jogging?

tdogg20
Oct 25, 2005, 09:49 PM
Can jogging really ruin your 5th gen iPod as i have heard?

katie ta achoo
Oct 25, 2005, 09:50 PM
Can jogging really ruin your 5th gen iPod as i have heard?

well, the storage medium is a HD, and having it jostled around a LOT can screw it up.

Yeah, you can jog with it, though. It's all good.

toezter
Oct 25, 2005, 09:58 PM
i and a bunch of others have jogged with previous version ipods. just don't let it dangle too vigorously.

i use the standard apple holster to the waistband.

tdogg20
Oct 25, 2005, 10:44 PM
So for sure if i put the iPod in my pocket of my shorts, or pants it wont get ruined?

Josh396
Oct 25, 2005, 10:54 PM
So for sure if i put the iPod in my pocket of my shorts, or pants it wont get ruined?
It shouldn't ruin it unless it's moving a lot. Personally I bought a shuffle just to be sure that I wouldn't have any problems. There were a few times when I would have the iPod skip or freeze when I was running with it (a 4G 40 GB).

xyouxfailmiex
Oct 25, 2005, 10:56 PM
i second the shuffle purchase ...the shuffle is awesome and you can do anything with that little sucker....i would never take my 5th gen ipod running....to me its like wearing new shoes in the rain....

neocell
Oct 25, 2005, 11:00 PM
I run with mine almost everyday and no problems yet. I hold it in my hand though, tried the pocket thing and it just would skip like crazy after about 10 minutes.

EricNau
Oct 25, 2005, 11:07 PM
It shouldn't ruin it unless it's moving a lot. Personally I bought a shuffle just to be sure that I wouldn't have any problems. There were a few times when I would have the iPod skip or freeze when I was running with it (a 4G 40 GB).
i second the shuffle purchase ...the shuffle is awesome and you can do anything with that little sucker....i would never take my 5th gen ipod running....to me its like wearing new shoes in the rain....
That's funny...My friend's Dad, bought a Shuffle and has had nothing but problems. Within a week it stopped working, so he got another, and it broke, now he is on his 5th one (Apple has been good about replacing it every time). The only thing he could think of was that the heat was getting to it, because we live where it is not unusual to see temps above 100 degrees F. He doesn't seems like a person that would take bad care of a product, and he only used it while he jogged or rode his bike.
Anybody ever heard of such a thing as Shuffles having problems?

anamenotused
Oct 26, 2005, 01:01 AM
That's funny...My friend's Dad, bought a Shuffle and has had nothing but problems. Within a week it stopped working, so he got another, and it broke, now he is on his 5th one (Apple has been good about replacing it every time). The only thing he could think of was that the heat was getting to it, because we live where it is not unusual to see temps above 100 degrees F. He doesn't seems like a person that would take bad care of a product, and he only used it while he jogged or rode his bike.
Anybody ever heard of such a thing as Shuffles having problems?

My shuffle craped out on me after 30 days too... it was fine. then when i came home, it wouldnt even recognised as connected, so i tried to reset..nothing. it wouldnt even play the songs i had on it. i tried hooking it up to a PC and it gave me an I/O error.. thankfully best buy replaced it and i signed up for the Product Replacement Plan incase it happened again.

EricNau
Oct 26, 2005, 01:02 AM
My shuffle craped out on me after 30 days too... it was fine. then when i came home, it wouldnt even recognised as connected, so i tried to reset..nothing. it wouldnt even play the songs i had on it. i tried hooking it up to a PC and it gave me an I/O error.. thankfully best buy replaced it and i signed up for the Product Replacement Plan incase it happened again.
Interesting...I wonder why they are doing this...

ftaok
Oct 26, 2005, 06:32 AM
Interesting...I wonder why they are doing this...
Just a guess, but perhaps it's the 100F weather combined with the excercise. This usually leads to sweat, which is bad for most electronics.

Now, if the shuffles were experiencing problem without being exposed to sweat and moisture, then chaulk it up to the guy's dad's friend as being an electronic gizmo bad luck magnet. Going through 5 shuffles is a bit much. This guy must have the worst luck.

For the record, my shuffle has been perfect since I bought it months ago.

MmmPancakes
Oct 26, 2005, 08:56 AM
I love my 1gb Shuffle as much as I love my 20gb 4th gen color. Very handy, and no problems. I highly recommend using the Shuffle to work out with. You can drop it, bang it around, etc and it will be fine.

Just FYI, refurb 1gb Shuffles are $99 at the Apple Store. Great deal!

xyouxfailmiex
Oct 26, 2005, 09:33 AM
you can get a shuffle skin for about a dollar on ebay.....will protect it from gross hairy sweat which i think is like kryptonite to electronics

katie ta achoo
Oct 26, 2005, 11:10 AM
Just a guess, but perhaps it's the 100F weather combined with the excercise. This usually leads to sweat, which is bad for most electronics.

Now, if the shuffles were experiencing problem without being exposed to sweat and moisture, then chaulk it up to the guy's dad's friend as being an electronic gizmo bad luck magnet. Going through 5 shuffles is a bit much. This guy must have the worst luck.

For the record, my shuffle has been perfect since I bought it months ago.

My Shuffle's behaved quite nicely as well. Granted, I don't exercise with it, but it does get over 100 degrees in Houston.

Maybe make a real cheap case out of a sammich baggie and tape? That'll prevent moisture from getting in, and you'd only really be using it while jogging.. *shrug*