PDA

View Full Version : Logitech Introduces Mac Support for New Gaming Mice and Keyboards

MacRumors
Apr 22, 2013, 12:37 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/22/logitech-introduces-mac-support-for-new-gaming-mice-and-keyboards/)

Last month, Logitech launched its G series of gaming keyboards and mice (http://gaming.logitech.com/). The devices feature numerous programmable buttons, custom color backlighting, and other features designed for MMORPG players.

The company has now announced that its Logitech Gaming Software is now available on OS X (http://blog.logitech.com/2013/04/19/logitech-g-products-now-support-mac-os/).

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/04/g19.jpg
The top of the line models are the $100 G700s Rechargeable Wireless Gaming Mouse (http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g700s-rechargable-wireless-gaming-mouse) and the $200 G19s LCD Gaming Keyboard (http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g19s-lcd-gaming-keyboard).
Today, we are excited to share that Logitech Gaming Software (LGS) has been updated to support Mac OS for our full keyboard and mouse lineup. Now Mac gamers can enjoy the same great personalization and customized control our PC customers have come to reply on. You can download the latest version of LGS from the Logitech support page for each compatible product.

Several of us on the gaming team switch back and forth between Mac and PC, so we're thrilled to have this support on both platforms. We can't wait for you to now have the option to experience your favorite Logitech gaming accessories on Mac.The G19s keyboard (http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g19s-lcd-gaming-keyboard), for example, includes an LCD screen to monitor game statistics, custom-color backlighting for keys, and a number of custom programmable keys. The G700s mouse (http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g700s-rechargable-wireless-gaming-mouse) runs over a wireless connection, but can recharge batteries and continue working at the same time, with a number of programmable thumb controls on the side, and more.

Both are available from Logitech's online store and elsewhere (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Programmable-Gaming-Keyboard-Display/dp/B001NXDBI6/).

Article Link: Logitech Introduces Mac Support for New Gaming Mice and Keyboards (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/22/logitech-introduces-mac-support-for-new-gaming-mice-and-keyboards/)

Torrijos
Apr 22, 2013, 12:41 PM
Last time I had a Logitech device their mac drivers were just terrible, I'll rather go with Razer products.

Andy-V
Apr 22, 2013, 12:42 PM
As an owner of one of these mice, this is pretty good news.

Cougarcat
Apr 22, 2013, 12:53 PM
This was actually released a few weeks ago, not sure why it took Logitech this long to write about it. Been using it with my MX518 without issue. It's nice to have the forward/back buttons work.

class77
Apr 22, 2013, 01:12 PM
All my mice are Logitech and I think they're the best/smoothest on the market

Pechente
Apr 22, 2013, 01:41 PM
I hope they’ll add support for my G35 too. It sucks to only have Stereo Sound on OS X.

Last time I had a Logitech device their mac drivers were just terrible, I'll rather go with Razer products.

Yeah, my Mamba is so well supported by Razer… I can’t even reassign function buttons.

goodcow
Apr 22, 2013, 02:06 PM
That keyboard looks hideous.

ArtOfWarfare
Apr 22, 2013, 02:13 PM
The proper pointer device for using a Mac is a trackpad. I love my three and four finger gestures. It's downright fun to use (without even launching a game.)

I've tried these complicated mice - they suck.

I've never felt a need to have additional buttons on my keyboard... Why would I? In game the controls can all be mapped to the 60+ keys already on a standard keyboard.

Yvan256
Apr 22, 2013, 02:53 PM
The proper pointer device for using a Mac is a trackpad. I love my three and four finger gestures. It's downright fun to use (without even launching a game.)

I've never felt a need to have additional buttons on my keyboard... Why would I? In game the controls can all be mapped to the 60+ keys already on a standard keyboard.

In my opinion, a trackpad can't compare to a mouse in games where you control the camera, such as Left 4 Dead 2 or even World of Warcraft.

ikir
Apr 22, 2013, 02:56 PM
And now we have the 3 biggest players on Mac
Razer, Saitek (Cyborg) and finally Logitech!

sexiewasd
Apr 22, 2013, 02:57 PM

I had the original g15 keyboard. I never did use the macro keys for games, but they were great for everything else. I mostly used them for programming, and launching programs and documents that I used a lot. The LCD is useless bling though, really pointless.

imacken
Apr 22, 2013, 03:07 PM
If only they would release drivers for their range of wheels like the G27.
It's crazy having to hack in the old SL force feedback kext for racing games.

Parasprite
Apr 22, 2013, 03:08 PM

Multi-button mice are great for FPS and MMORPG games because you often need quick reflexes and for that a few extra dedicated buttons are very handy.

Keyboards however...eh... There really isn't much to gain. After customizing maybe 15-20 keys (not counting arrow keys if the game needs it) it becomes such a burden to even remember where things are that it slows you down. The Function keys (F1-F12) work great for things already on the interface (a handful of spell buttons laid out in sets of 4 like the keys are) and make it possible to keep maybe 30 buttons on the keyboard and 5-10 on the mouse (I can't stand more than 5 myself). It's possible that not a lot of people like mapping character keys, they would probably welcome the addition as feeling (ironically) less cluttered... But I agree, I don't get the appeal.

Disclaimer: I haven't really played anything relevant to this discussion other than Baldur's Gate in at least 4 years.

swerve147
Apr 22, 2013, 03:13 PM
It's nice to finally see some official support for my original G9. Now all my buttons and DPI settings work in OS X. Thank you Logitech!

ScottishDuck
Apr 22, 2013, 03:14 PM
The market is moving towards mechanical keyboards so it's fairly pointless releasing a new line.

needfx
Apr 22, 2013, 03:27 PM
this product defines fugly imo

ArtOfWarfare
Apr 22, 2013, 03:36 PM
In my opinion, a trackpad can't compare to a mouse in games where you control the camera, such as Left 4 Dead 2 or even World of Warcraft.

I played through the entire Orange Box + Portal 2 without issue using my magic trackpad. I actually feel like the camera in Lugaru is meant to be controlled with a trackpad.

I've used numerous mice, the Magic Mouse included, and... what are the ball on top guys called... trackballs or something like that... and the current Apple trackpads (built in on MacBooks / Magic Trackpad for desktops) beats them by far, both in looking nice and providing an amazing amount of controls.

RoastingPig
Apr 22, 2013, 03:43 PM
now introduce some games

JAT
Apr 22, 2013, 03:48 PM
The market is moving towards mechanical keyboards so it's fairly pointless releasing a new line.

Whoa, really? Got some backup for that? Very interesting comment.

vthree
Apr 22, 2013, 03:49 PM
does anyone think they will come out with mac versions of the keyboard? or maybe some keys we could order?

Silvereel
Apr 22, 2013, 03:55 PM
Now, if only they came in white...

Prodo123
Apr 22, 2013, 04:08 PM
Took them 3 years to release this for the G700...

HornetMontana
Apr 22, 2013, 04:09 PM
I would like a wired keyboard made of wood with Apple keys.

baryon
Apr 22, 2013, 04:14 PM

Yeah I find that Mac trackpads are actually more comfortable and precise than mice, for normal operating system things (like browsing the web and everything). But for most gaming, a mouse is absolutely necessary (like for any first person shooter). For things like Photoshop, I use a Wacom tablet, which means I have 3 pointing devices: Trackpad for most things, mouse for gaming, and Wacom for Photoshop. The good thing is that since I only use a mouse for certain things, I don't need it to look good or last long, so I can get one of these ugly but good Logitech mice :D

sesnir
Apr 22, 2013, 04:16 PM
As someone who's tired of unreliable mice (Steelseries Sensei: mouse pointer randomly slows way down in both Windows and OS X, Razor Death Adder or something: Mouse pointer moves on it's own in random directions at random times in Windows and OS X), I'm looking forward to trying the G400 I've had in my drawer for a while.

I never had issues with Logitech before.

mrxak
Apr 22, 2013, 04:17 PM
I like the idea of these keyboards. Unfortunately I kind of hate their design. There is too much bulk around the keys, and the F-key groupings are bad. Also the escape key is too small and no command key.

Kissaragi
Apr 22, 2013, 04:26 PM
I played through the entire Orange Box + Portal 2 without issue using my magic trackpad. I actually feel like the camera in Lugaru is meant to be controlled with a trackpad.

I've used numerous mice, the Magic Mouse included, and... what are the ball on top guys called... trackballs or something like that... and the current Apple trackpads (built in on MacBooks / Magic Trackpad for desktops) beats them by far, both in looking nice and providing an amazing amount of controls.

I would be willing to bet a lot of money your in the minority on this one. If i had a lot of money that is....

afogel
Apr 22, 2013, 05:05 PM
I'm loving logitech's trailers for these keyboards :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_kKqh9mrGE

Albright
Apr 22, 2013, 05:21 PM
Never been a huge fan of Logitech devices. For the money, Microsoft's keyboards and mice have always felt more solid to me. Just don't bother installing the drivers, which at last check tended to cause random-seeming kernel panics - and when I contacted their tech support about it, they gave me instructions for reinstalling the drivers under Classic Mac OS (OS 9 et al). This was three or so years ago, but still…

Also, it's 2013. Why is any company still releasing wireless devices that require a USB dongle? Is the PC world really still so far behind with regards to Bluetooth? You gotta be kidding me.

Razer is a complete waste of money.

WilliamG
Apr 22, 2013, 05:27 PM

Razer's drivers are worse. I bought a Razer Mamba 2012, and the drivers actually crashed my new 2012 iMac (the "your computer will restart" error). I returned it.

saschke
Apr 22, 2013, 06:40 PM
Anyone tried the G700 mouse drivers? How do they fare?

p.H
Apr 23, 2013, 12:23 AM
It's nice to finally see some official support for my original G9. Now all my buttons and DPI settings work in OS X. Thank you Logitech!

Hi, bro. Can you offer me the link for downloading? I can't find it :(

Prodo123
Apr 23, 2013, 02:05 AM
That keyboard looks hideous.

As gaudy as that keyboard might look, it's one of the cleaner designs among gaming keyboards...

imacken
Apr 23, 2013, 02:42 AM
I would be willing to bet a lot of money your in the minority on this one. If i had a lot of money that is....
Well, I'm another in that minority.
Magic Trackpad is perfect for gaming. I much prefer it to a mouse, and I have played many games over the years - Witcher 2, Skyrim, Deus Ex HR, Orange Box, Portal 2, Mafia II, etc. etc.

Lancer
Apr 23, 2013, 02:55 AM
I used to love my Logitech mice but they never seemed to last more than a year and the battery life was just a few days at most and there was the 'issues' with the software.

Now I'm using the Apple KB and trackpad and they are just about perfect. I would like something that work better with games but I'm not going to spend this kind of money.

swerve147
Apr 23, 2013, 07:23 AM
Hi, bro. Can you offer me the link for downloading? I can't find it :(

Sure, all you're doing is going to Logitech's support page:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/support

Locate your product, select Downloads, then choose your OS, and download the Logitech Gaming Software for Mac.

The direct link for the G9 mouse is:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/support/3053?section=downloads&bit=&osid=32

Kissaragi
Apr 23, 2013, 08:45 AM
If i was looking for a gaming keyboard, id get something from somewhere like wasdkeyboards or another custom place.

My skills are so bad that i think my apple keyboard does just fine for me tho!

X5-599
Apr 23, 2013, 09:28 AM

Does that include the forward/backwards buttons? I find it really irritating that those do not work with the standard mouse driver...

swerve147
Apr 23, 2013, 09:45 AM
Does that include the forward/backwards buttons? I find it really irritating that those do not work with the standard mouse driver...

Yes, at least with my G9 all the buttons now work, including forward, back, DPI settings, everything, whereas previously they didn't with the old drivers/Logitech Control Center.

It seems that Logitech actually committed to the Mac this time and provided some working software for its gaming series.

chorner
Apr 23, 2013, 09:50 AM

The proper pointing device for anything other than casual surfing and consumption is a mouse. Doing any sort of real work, or any gaming requires the speed and accuracy of a mouse... clearly you're not much of a gamer either since you can definitely make use of a couple side buttons plus the usual right and left click.

X5-599
Apr 23, 2013, 12:08 PM
Yes, at least with my G9 all the buttons now work, including forward, back, DPI settings, everything, whereas previously they didn't with the old drivers/Logitech Control Center.

It seems that Logitech actually committed to the Mac this time and provided some working software for its gaming series.

Thanks. Currently when pressing those buttons all I get is the "scroll arrow" you normally get when clicking the mouse wheel.

JoeG4
Apr 23, 2013, 12:10 PM
I dunno, I've never had anything but good things to say about Logitech - their peripherals tend to look ugly, but they last, and if they don't their warranty support is excellent. :D

MagnusVonMagnum
Apr 23, 2013, 12:28 PM
The proper pointer device for using a Mac is a trackpad.

Trackpads suck. Yes, even Mac ones. I hate my trackpad on my Macbook Pro. They're mostly miserable to use. I'll take my 5-button Intellimouse over that crap any day of the week. The only thing I like about a trackpad is side-to-side scrolling and a couple of gestures, but trying to do a right button click with two fingers is just awkward compared to a dedicated right mouse button, let alone the middle mouse button which is irreplaceable for most first person shooter games. I mean the very idea of trying to play a 1st person shooter with a trackpad is laughable. Frankly, it'd be better to have a touchscreen setup with the Mac than a trackpad. At least then a game like Bejeweled could be played quickly and easily like on the iPad/iPhone whereas it's slow going by comparison on a trackpad OR a mouse. And just try drawing and editing in Photoshop with a trackpad. It's miserable since it lacks precision trying to move and press the entire trackpad as a button or lift your finger up, etc. whereas you just glide and click with a mouse (drawing pads using stencils are different, of course).

Thus, in conclusion, the very idea that a trackpad is "proper" is such a joke it's unreal. Yes, notebooks come with trackpads. That doesn't make them "proper". Up until recently, all other Macs came with mice (admittedly Apple mice have always sucked since they could never admit that one button is stupid and always has been always will be and that hiding a second button just shows how much they refused to acknowledge the truth rather than any indication that yes, a second or even a 3rd button is needed. And frankly, I couldn't do without my roller wheel. Two finger scrolling is OK, but it's too easy to move your hand sideways a tad and the next thing you know you're off center on a large web page and that is irritating.

GreyFoxx
Apr 23, 2013, 12:58 PM
Too late Logitech! I waited as a faithful Logitech customer for years. In return for my loyalty I got years of empty promises from Logitech. They've had drivers for Mac for at least 3+ years, and they just never worked properly. Now, after all this time, they announce this as though it's something new? It's a fix to something that was broken for years that they represent as new. I finally got tired of waiting on Logitech to make it right last year and switch to Razer. Won't go back. The Razer drivers work great!

Neodym
Apr 23, 2013, 01:28 PM
Umm - keyboards have been mechanical since day 1...?! :confused: Somehow I suspect I did not understand some twist in your statement (possibly because I'm no native speaker).

MagnusVonMagnum
Apr 23, 2013, 02:09 PM
Umm - keyboards have been mechanical since day 1...?! :confused: Somehow I suspect I did not understand some twist in your statement (possibly because I'm no native speaker).

I'm a native speaker and I have flipping clue what he means either. ;)

These are the known types of keyboard switches. Perhaps he can point to the one he is referring to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_technology

Kissaragi
Apr 23, 2013, 02:52 PM

I believe he means that the g19 uses the rubber domes like you find in "ordinary" keyboards rather than something like cherry mx switches.

I have no clue what decent gamers prefer these days tho.

joeycool
Apr 24, 2013, 08:05 PM
I like logitech stuff but if i upgrade to logitech mouce from the standard apple white touch one you miss out on the double touch thing on the mouse any suggestions ?

iLilana
Apr 25, 2013, 11:35 AM
..is they always look like fisher price toys. Large and obnoxious

saturnotaku
Apr 25, 2013, 01:48 PM
Does that include the forward/backwards buttons?

Sure does. The only thing you can't do is task switching. This functionality is not built into the driver, and creating a macro with command+tab doesn't work.

X5-599
Apr 26, 2013, 12:51 AM
Sure does. The only thing you can't do is task switching. This functionality is not built into the driver, and creating a macro with command+tab doesn't work.

Thanks. Still, I'm kind of "uneven" about the logitech gaming software (or what it's called). Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't it have some major downside in the past? Like instable/insecure etc?

See, my Mac is new (kinda) and I'm careful what I install on it. Especially stuff like this that goes deep into the system.

torana355
Apr 26, 2013, 12:54 AM
Awesome News!!! I love my G700 in Windows so it will be good to have the software to configure it in OSX aswell.

Yahooligan
May 29, 2013, 01:13 AM
I'm kind of glad I came across this thread, I've been using a G700 on my Mac for a while now (I also have a Magic Trackpad, but for gaming...no.) and I can't stand Apple's mouse movement algorithm, haven't been able to stand it for years which is why my Macs have always had the SteerMouse driver installed. This let me do button mapping like the Logitech software, but didn't provide access to some of the more specific mouse features.

So, for now, I'm running the Logitech driver in place of SteerMouse to see how it compares. Each seem to have their advantages, but so far the Logitech drivers and utility take care of everything I really wanted out of SteerMouse...only the Logitech software is free.