Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Let's say I wanted to decrease the boot time and the resources that my iBook has to deal with...could I remove the dock Preference Pane and disable the dock so that I could just have a few of the app icons on the desktop?

No, I'm not crazy..just trying to find ways to limit the number of items being loaded and constantly recognized by the system when those items are unnecessary. I've already removed the MobileMe, UniversalAccess,and Parental Controls Pref Panes and would like to continue trimming stuff down.

Thanks for any assistance! And really, I am not crazy; I just see where the PPC trail is leading and am simply preparing my machine for further obsolescence.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Let's say I wanted to decrease the boot time and the resources that my iBook has to deal with...could I remove the dock Preference Pane and disable the dock so that I could just have a few of the app icons on the desktop?

No, I'm not crazy..just trying to find ways to limit the number of items being loaded and constantly recognized by the system when those items are unnecessary. I've already removed the MobileMe, UniversalAccess,and Parental Controls Pref Panes and would like to continue trimming stuff down.

Thanks for any assistance! And really, I am not crazy; I just see where the PPC trail is leading and am simply preparing my machine for further obsolescence.
Dock Gone will kill the dock if that's what you want. It will also let it reappear. You specify a shortcut.

Probably not what you want as this ADDs another pane to System Preferences, but there you go.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Dock Gone will kill the dock if that's what you want. It will also let it reappear. You specify a shortcut.

Probably not what you want as this ADDs another pane to System Preferences, but there you go.

Hey, Man! It's been a while! How are you? Anyway, thanks for the tip! I'm in a good mood now because I finally have a sale on my Magic Trackpad, I bought a Magic Mouse, and I'm using a wireless keyboard for my iBook and it is way more comfortable.

Do you know if removing some of these PrefPanes will simply reappear upon startup because the OS requires them?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hey, Man! It's been a while! How are you? Anyway, thanks for the tip! I'm in a good mood now because I finally have a sale on my Magic Trackpad, I bought a Magic Mouse, and I'm using a wireless keyboard for my iBook and it is way more comfortable.

Do you know if removing some of these PrefPanes will simply reappear upon startup because the OS requires them?
Doing allright, can't whine, although complaining is legit. :D

Glad to see things are going well with you.

No idea if doing that would cause a respawn or break a boot. It's not something I've tried. Frankly, I think the Dock takes minimal resources and if it's a problem there's always Activity Monitor or killing it in Terminal.

I do recall once that there was a way to permanently get rid of it, but I think that was under Tiger and it also broke some other important stuff.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Removing pref panes has very little, if any, impact on system boot time. They only effect the opening time of System Preferences. There's really no way to keep the Dock process completely killed off. It is a critical system process and having it killed off results in an unusable system.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Removing pref panes has very little, if any, impact on system boot time. They only effect the opening time of System Preferences. There's really no way to keep the Dock process completely killed off. It is a critical system process and having it killed off results in an unusable system.

This. Pref panes are only loaded when you open System Preferences.

Dock, as mentioned, is also a system critical process that manages more than the dock, and should not be removed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.