PDA

View Full Version : HELP! iBook G4 Problems!

DDarling
Oct 25, 2005, 11:03 PM
I am a avid user of my iBook, and I bring it to class with me almost every day. Before leaving for school today, I opened my iBook. It worked perfectly. When I arrived at school, and opened it, it shut down, from the sleep that it is almost always in, and it refused to show anything more than a blank screen for around 20 minutes. All that happened, was the Hard Drive turned on, I could hear my processor working, and my CD/DVD drive started running. Intermitent fan starting also happened sometimes when i would try to start it(I did this probably 20 times). Anyways, after trying everything and plugging it in to my power adapter, it finally showed something on screen. It turned on, and it did all these weird verticle lines on a grey background. Finally after this start, and restarting again, it turned on. I had problems for around 10 more min, and then it started working normally. So tonight, when I got home, and I have the exact same problem, I was very worried. My screen, just won't turn on. Sometimes when I turn on the power, one line of pixels on the very top of the screen show white, but other than that, there is no action in the screen. It also isn't doing the start up sound(the classic Mac sound). I AM FREAKIN OUT.

I have tryed everything that my iBook manual says to, and nothing has happened. Please try to tell me what might be wrong.

PLEASE.

DDarling

Chundles
Oct 25, 2005, 11:24 PM
I am a avid user of my iBook, and I bring it to class with me almost every day. Before leaving for school today, I opened my iBook. It worked perfectly. When I arrived at school, and opened it, it shut down, from the sleep that it is almost always in, and it refused to show anything more than a blank screen for around 20 minutes. All that happened, was the Hard Drive turned on, I could hear my processor working, and my CD/DVD drive started running. Intermitent fan starting also happened sometimes when i would try to start it(I did this probably 20 times). Anyways, after trying everything and plugging it in to my power adapter, it finally showed something on screen. It turned on, and it did all these weird verticle lines on a grey background. Finally after this start, and restarting again, it turned on. I had problems for around 10 more min, and then it started working normally. So tonight, when I got home, and I have the exact same problem, I was very worried. My screen, just won't turn on. Sometimes when I turn on the power, one line of pixels on the very top of the screen show white, but other than that, there is no action in the screen. It also isn't doing the start up sound(the classic Mac sound). I AM FREAKIN OUT.

I have tryed everything that my iBook manual says to, and nothing has happened. Please try to tell me what might be wrong.

PLEASE.

DDarling

Definitely sounds like you should call Apple. That's not right at all. The screen may have gone kaput.

Give Apple a call and see what they have to say about it.

mad jew
Oct 25, 2005, 11:26 PM
Have you reset the PRAM, NVRAM and PMU? :)

DDarling
Oct 25, 2005, 11:29 PM
Have you reset the PRAM, NVRAM and PMU? :)
How can I do that without my operating system or screen working at all?

DDarling

mad jew
Oct 25, 2005, 11:37 PM
How can I do that without my operating system or screen working at all?

DDarling

How to reset PRAM and NVRAM (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238).

How to reset PMU (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449).

The computer must already be shut down for both. :)

QCassidy352
Oct 25, 2005, 11:41 PM
disclaimer: I'm far from an expert on hardware issues.

But... I think it sounds like the logic board. Could certainly also be the screen, but my guess is logic board. In either case, you really need to take it for repair; this goes well beyond a user-serviceable issue.

mad jew
Oct 25, 2005, 11:42 PM
I agree with QCassidy352 but I'd still try resetting things first. You never know, it could actually work. Very unlikely though. :o

DDarling
Oct 26, 2005, 12:43 AM
How to reset PRAM and NVRAM (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238).

How to reset PMU (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449).

The computer must already be shut down for both. :)

I had already done the first two. But the third was new to me. Didn't work unfortuenetly, though I have found a new way of shutting down from the place it goes when i turn it on(fan, disk drive, cpu, and hard drive running) by using the reset PMU thingy.

As for the logic board thing, that would suck, majorly, but I don't think it is, cause if it was, wouldn't that mean it wouldn't work at all like it did earlier today. Remember all these symptoms happened to me earlier.

And then they mysteriously went away for no reason.

DDarling

P.S. Thanks guys, keep it up, I have AppleCare, but I really don't want to send my computer away for a few weeks, I have work and stuff on there, and no way of getting it off.

mad jew
Oct 26, 2005, 12:49 AM
Don't reset the PMU when it's running if possible. :o

I still think it looks like a logic board failure. It starts out as erratic behaviour but ends up completely failing on you (hasn't done that yet by the sounds of things).

Nevertheless, it could be bad RAM I suppose. Have you added any recently? Take it out if so.

Actually, it might be cool if you tell us what exactly you have done. Also, a brief history of the computer could be cool. What changes have you made recently? Added apps, components or peripherals? :)

luna crescent
Oct 26, 2005, 12:54 AM
Sounds like a logic board failure like other people said. I had 2 logic board failures on my computer similar to description above. I sent it to apple and they fixed it both times.

It seems normal at first, but your computer will fail eventually if it has logic board failure.

DDarling
Oct 26, 2005, 12:57 AM
OK, first the thing on the PMU, yeah I know I shouldn't, but everytime I turn it on tonight pretty much, using the power key to turn it back off from its kind of alive but dead state, doesn't work.

As for RAM, I was also thinking of that. I havn't upgraded since I got the comp though, which was done by a Apple techy in December. Mabye its shooken loose. I'm going to see tomorrow, I don't have the screw driver to get in.

Software, I have the entire Adobe CS2 series on here, as well as BF 1942 and its mods, and a hell of a lot of free software. Um, operating system is 10.4.2, and i have about 13 GB's of space left on my Hard Drive. 512 RAM and I use a keyboard cover(iSkin or something). Hmmmm....

Oh around when I first got the comp, one time when i started it up, the flashing apple logo thing came up. That freaked me out, and I reinstalled my system. Probably shouldn't have cause there are alot easier ways of fixing this. Thats about it, except for the occasional times where it doesn't turn back on from a Sleep.

DDarling

:confused:

mad jew
Oct 26, 2005, 01:03 AM
Hopefully it's bad RAM or a failing hard drive or something relatively easy to replace but it really is sounding like a bad logic board which means replacement.

The RAM issue won't be stemming from a loose stick so much as simply the fact that the RAM wasn't manufactured perfectly. Macs can be very picky about RAM and sometimes things can seem fine for ages and then suddenly break when you do something particular - like maybe use CS2 in a particular way (it really could be anything).

You've done all the right things so far and you've tried pretty much everything there is to try that could potentially help. I suppose you could try starting up from the OSX CD/DVD to see if it's a hard drive problem. Simply place disk in optical drive and start up holding down C. If you get in, go to Disk Utility from one of the menus and check the disk's status.

DDarling
Oct 26, 2005, 01:11 AM
You've done all the right things so far and you've tried pretty much everything there is to try that could potentially help. I suppose you could try starting up from the OSX CD/DVD to see if it's a hard drive problem. Simply place disk in optical drive and start up holding down C. If you get in, go to Disk Utility from one of the menus and check the disk's status.

Hehehe, um...... problem there. I have a DVD in the disk drive, and have no way to eject it. Damn it. Its actually my BF 1942 disk. Is there any way to eject disk manually from iBook, I know there is for the iMac, but i don't know about for my comp.

Thanks again for all your help, you have been really great. Oh, also, If you think of anything else that it could be, tell me.

P.S. If I send it into applecare would they completely wipe my hard drive, or would they transfer my old one to a new machine, cause I have no way to back up my files now. DAMN. God I hope it doesn't come to that, I have all my work on there, both school, my actual job, and play. GAH.

DDarling

mad jew
Oct 26, 2005, 01:14 AM
On start up, hold down the track pad (mouse) button and normally the disk will eject but obviously no guarantees because the iBook's hardly playing nicely at the moment.

As for AppleCare, I imagine that if you told them your data was on there, they'd do everything they could to keep it and maybe transfer it to the new drive (if you get a replacement, which is most likely). I don't have any first and experience with them though, so I could be wrong. :o

ThatSoundAgain
Oct 26, 2005, 05:55 AM
Hehehe, um...... problem there. I have a DVD in the disk drive, and have no way to eject it. Damn it. Its actually my BF 1942 disk. Is there any way to eject disk manually from iBook, I know there is for the iMac, but i don't know about for my comp.

Thanks again for all your help, you have been really great. Oh, also, If you think of anything else that it could be, tell me.

P.S. If I send it into applecare would they completely wipe my hard drive, or would they transfer my old one to a new machine, cause I have no way to back up my files now. DAMN. God I hope it doesn't come to that, I have all my work on there, both school, my actual job, and play. GAH.

DDarling

Re backing up: I had a similar issue not long ago, and after i reset the PMU I was able to boot the iBook in target disk mode (hold down the T key while booting). That way, I could hook it up to another Mac with a FW cable and extract what I wanted. Target disk mode makes your 'book behave like an external HD.

JonBoy470
Oct 26, 2005, 06:13 AM
The data on your iBook is not warranted against loss. The technicians won't go out of their way to save your data, but they won't kill themselves trying to save it either, if they have to, say, replace your hard drive.

Couple of points:

Have you connected the iBook to an external display? This is a good step to discern whether you're afflicted with a "display" or "computer" issue.
The Target Disk Mode suggestion is right on as a backup solution before you have the laptop serviced. A Mac has to be seriously jacked up for Target Disk Mode to not work.
Remember to de-authorize your iTunes music prior to having the laptop repaired. Vitually any repair to your laptop will cause iTunes to think you have a "new" computer.

Good luck!

DDarling
Oct 26, 2005, 06:25 PM
On start up, hold down the track pad (mouse) button and normally the disk will eject but obviously no guarantees because the iBook's hardly playing nicely at the moment.

As for AppleCare, I imagine that if you told them your data was on there, they'd do everything they could to keep it and maybe transfer it to the new drive (if you get a replacement, which is most likely). I don't have any first and experience with them though, so I could be wrong. :o

Yay, I don't know if the thing with the mouse held down on startup did it, but I just tryed it this afternoon, and it started up. It didn't eject disk oddly enough though when i did this, so who knows. Well, it is working right now, but I still do think it is the logic board if from what you guys have said it can be intermitent. So, it looks like this is going into applecare. And yeah, I think they will most likely transfer my data to another hard drive. Anyways, I'm glad for the help. So continue it, and I'll keep you guys updated.

DDarling

mjstew33
Oct 26, 2005, 06:30 PM
Gosh, that's weird. I'd still call Apple. If it happens again, you'll want to videotape it just as proof...

DDarling
Oct 26, 2005, 06:30 PM
The data on your iBook is not warranted against loss. The technicians won't go out of their way to save your data, but they won't kill themselves trying to save it either, if they have to, say, replace your hard drive.

Couple of points:

Have you connected the iBook to an external display? This is a good step to discern whether you're afflicted with a "display" or "computer" issue.
The Target Disk Mode suggestion is right on as a backup solution before you have the laptop serviced. A Mac has to be seriously jacked up for Target Disk Mode to not work.
Remember to de-authorize your iTunes music prior to having the laptop repaired. Vitually any repair to your laptop will cause iTunes to think you have a "new" computer.

Good luck!

No external monitor connected, and yeah thanks for all the suggestion on stuff to do before sending it in. But honestly, if I ask them to transfer data, seeing as I have no way of doing it now(no firewire cable, and iPod is just to hard) I would loose all my data, which is worth a lot of money, and I mean a lot. So, hope to get this fixed. Anyone know the average time for shipping, repair and shipping back?

DDarling

:)

mjstew33
Oct 26, 2005, 06:35 PM
Oh, and since it's working...BACKUP!

No external monitor connected, and yeah thanks for all the suggestion on stuff to do before sending it in. But honestly, if I ask them to transfer data, seeing as I have no way of doing it now(no firewire cable, and iPod is just to hard) I would loose all my data, which is worth a lot of money, and I mean a lot. So, hope to get this fixed. Anyone know the average time for shipping, repair and shipping back?

DDarling

:)
I sure do... I sent my iPod in on a monday, and got it back on Thursday... including shipping the box to me, fixing, and sending it back. I've heard many similar stories with other people's mac. One exception: if the part is out of order or they just don't have it, it'll take a little longer.

DDarling
Oct 26, 2005, 07:50 PM
Oh, and since it's working...BACKUP!

HOW!!! Ive never done this before. I know I can just drag all my folders onto another hard drive, but what about when I get the comp back and it might be reformatted, will me just putting all my apps back in the app file work. They most likely won't.

DDarling

I don't know how to do a complete backup.

mad jew
Oct 27, 2005, 02:29 AM
Although it's possible for many apps to simply be dragged back into the Applications folder, I recommend installing them again directly from where they came (CDs, downloads...). Apps like Office don't play nicely in this way so it's safer/cleaner to do a fresh install.

As for other things to back up, obviously get all of your documents and try to get your emails (different for different apps). In fact, if you copy your Home folder, you really should be pretty fine. :)

DDarling
Oct 27, 2005, 09:49 AM
Although it's possible for many apps to simply be dragged back into the Applications folder, I recommend installing them again directly from where they came (CDs, downloads...). Apps like Office don't play nicely in this way so it's safer/cleaner to do a fresh install.

As for other things to back up, obviously get all of your documents and try to get your emails (different for different apps). In fact, if you copy your Home folder, you really should be pretty fine. :)

GAH, DAMN MY INTERNET CONNECTION. I lost all of what I wrote. *sobs*

Gah.

Anyways, for the apps thing, I was wondering cause I have downloaded a lot of Mod's for BF1942 that I can't download anymore.

Oh, and a update on my hardware problem, it seems to mysteriously work since last night. I have done both the Hardware test CD that I have, which are the applecare CD and the Apple Hardware Test. The apple Hardware Test says that I have no problems, including my RAM and logic board. Would this come up like this if my logic board truely is broken. Cause I know that one of you guys said it was intermittent sometimes. My other hardware test which came with my applecare package, said that I have a problem with "Volume Structure." What is that?

Anyways, thanks guys, especially you madjew.

DDarling

mad jew
Oct 28, 2005, 01:23 AM
Hardware tests don't necessarily show the problems up so even though the disk says the logic board is okay, it may not be. Still, the fact it's all working now is slightly promising. Keep everything backed up though, just in case.

As for BF1942, definitely try to drag-and-drop it but I don't have it personally and I don't know if it'll work. It's worth a try though, the worst that can happen is that the game won't work.

Fingers crossed it was a corrupt setting in the PMU and it's all been reset so everything will work fine now. That's probably wishful thinking though. :o

California
Oct 28, 2005, 05:50 AM
Hardware tests don't necessarily show the problems up so even though the disk says the logic board is okay, it may not be. Still, the fact it's all working now is slightly promising. Keep everything backed up though, just in case.

As for BF1942, definitely try to drag-and-drop it but I don't have it personally and I don't know if it'll work. It's worth a try though, the worst that can happen is that the game won't work.

Fingers crossed it was a corrupt setting in the PMU and it's all been reset so everything will work fine now. That's probably wishful thinking though. :o

MJ Do iBooks come with an Apple Hardware Test cd? Is it the same as the Applecare Techtools cd?

mad jew
Oct 28, 2005, 07:56 AM
MJ Do iBooks come with an Apple Hardware Test cd? Is it the same as the Applecare Techtools cd?

My iBook came with a CD labelled Apple Hardware Test (iBook G4). I imagine the AppleCare TechTools CD would be similar, if not the same. :)

maddav
Oct 28, 2005, 09:00 AM

My iBook came with the regular OS X/system restore discs, just insert disc 1 of 2, shut the ibook down, and when turning it on, hold down the option key (alt) and it'll boot up the cd, select hardware test and there we go!

DDarling
Oct 28, 2005, 01:18 PM
My iBook came with a CD labelled Apple Hardware Test (iBook G4). I imagine the AppleCare TechTools CD would be similar, if not the same. :)

To follow up on the post you made last night, and your last one, no the AppleCare TechTools CD is not the same, it is much more advanced, and does a lot more tests.

As for if my comp is working, it failed again yesterday afternoon, so no hope to backup now, though I might be able to hook it up to another comp with ethernet cable and boot with 'T' held down making it a harddrive.

Who knows. Anyways, I'm calling apple this afternoon, tryed last night after I got back from school, aparently they only do 6AM to 6PM pacific times.

Thanks,
DDarling