Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

musicbymuzak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2013
TX
So, I managed to get ahold of a Late 2004 A1093 G5 single-processor tower and I'm intrigued by the LCS on the quads. I've not dealt too much with the newer macs. Is it possible at all to drop in the quad processor, or are there other things that make it incompatible? Mainly a PC guy here, so forgive me if it's a dumb question. Because it looks to the untrained eye like a "new" G5, i kind of want to max it out as much as I can to further that impression.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
CPU-wise, you can't upgrade it. The most you could do is max out the ram, upgrade the video card, and put in a faster hard drive.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
G5 processors were notoriously difficult to upgrade. First: you can't upgrade a single-CPU to a dual-CPU. Second: you can't upgrade CPU speed - it's locked. Third: You can't add the liquid cooling system to a system that didn't come with it.

The *BEST* you could *POSSIBLY* do is upgrade from a single-core G5 to a dual-core G5, but you'd still be stuck at the same GHz.

I've never seen anyone say they have successfully done that though - even that might be locked out by firmware.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
If you have Late 2005 2.0, you can upgrade to 2.3 only (these 2 shared that same logic board). Quads had 2 CPU sockets on logic board and 1kW PSU (2.0/2.3 has 710W).

The *BEST* you could *POSSIBLY* do is upgrade from a single-core G5 to a dual-core G5, but you'd still be stuck at the same GHz.

Impossible. Totally different logic boards and northbridge chips.

musicbymuzak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2013
TX
G5 processors were notoriously difficult to upgrade. First: you can't upgrade a single-CPU to a dual-CPU. Second: you can't upgrade CPU speed - it's locked. Third: You can't add the liquid cooling system to a system that didn't come with it.

I've never seen anyone say they have successfully done that though - even that might be locked out by firmware.

Ugh. Every time I think of giving Apple another try things like this come up and really deter me/make me POd. I hate restrictions like that! (where the hardware is restricted just by one little firmware change). :mad:

I'm probably just going to drop in as much RAM as it'll take. You wouldn't think it was an "old" computer based on how it runs. I did the same to my 2000 Graphite imac G3 and it runs like a top for a 400mhz machine... it's amazing. :cool:

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Ugh. Every time I think of giving Apple another try things like this come up and really deter me/make me POd. I hate restrictions like that! (where the hardware is restricted just by one little firmware change). :mad:

On the G5s it's a lot more than just firmware. As mentioned, the processor you were looking at was liquid cooled and your machine is not.

G5s were extremely sensitive to cooling changes, which is why they aren't really swappable, northbridge changes aside.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Not sure, but heard that 970, 970FX, GX, have same socket. MP and other canceled dual cores have same socket. Quad cores have same socket too.
Single core 970, dual, and quad had different socket.
So upgradable, but only within same ammount of cores.
Know this from IBM.
The GX and all 970 after it were canceled after apple switched.
Wikipedia has details on the GX in thier 970 page.
970s with X at the end were designed for lower power.
With P at end ment more wattage, more preformance.
With nothing at end ment standard.
The FX was made for Powerbook G5's but was never used due to high idle power.
The GX would have been used in powerbooks.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC_970

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Not sure, but heard that 970, 970FX, GX, have same socket. MP and other canceled dual cores have same socket. Quad cores have same socket too.
Single core 970, dual, and quad had different socket.
So upgradable, but only within same ammount of cores.

Physically, it would fit. But the firmware would put the logicboard into safe mode, if it'd even boot, because the CPU speed would not be the speed the board was designed to work with. In safe mode, the fbus would be at 700Mhz. There is one or two logicboards that will operate with two different CPU speeds though. Neither are the late-2005 or single CPU variant.

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
Interesting. If you're bought it used, previous owner must have replaced original one with 1kW. It fits all Late 2005.

Yes, it is a second-hand G5, but I doubt it has been opened before as it still had warranty seal on the rivet holding the CPU cover. Anyway, a friend of mine, who worked at Apple service, told me that all late-2005 G5s came with 1kW PSU, but in case the PSU failed, it would be replaced with that weaker one in Dual-Core systems. I don't know if he was spouting BS but I have no reason to not trust him.

Or, perhaps there might have been multiple revisions. By S/N it looks like my G5 was probably one of the first made, manufactured around October 2005. Anyway, I have a 1kW PSU inside, that's for sure (checked last week, I had to dismantle it in order to recover a screw) and I'm not going to investigate how it got there.

EDIT: So my friend was right, according to G5 Service manual all G5's shipped with a 1kW PSU, which could be replaced with 710W in case of failure, see attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-24 at 11.42.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-24 at 11.42.28 PM.png
    235.5 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
EDIT: So my friend was right, according to G5 Service manual all G5's shipped with a 1kW PSU, which could be replaced with 710W in case of failure, see attached.

Thanks for clarification, didn't know that. Always good to learn something new after all these years :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.