PDA

View Full Version : Netflix Launches Family Plan, 4 Simultaneous Streams for $12/Month

MacRumors
Apr 22, 2013, 04:36 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/22/netflix-launches-family-plan-4-simultaneous-streams-for-12month/)

Netflix announced today that it is rolling out a number of family friendly features (http://allthingsd.com/20130422/netflix-says-its-house-of-cards-strategy-worked-and-wall-street-agrees/) in the coming months, designed to make it easier for families with multiple Netflix users to use the service.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/04/netflix2.jpg
First, the company is introducing a new $12/month streaming plan that offers four simultaneous streams of video, meant for members with large families that run into Netflix's two-simultaneous stream limit. The normal Netflix subscription is $8/month.

Second, the company is introducing a new feature to allow different family members to log their own viewing habits and get recommendations based on what shows they like. Currently, all viewer activity -- parents and kids -- are combined into one stream. As a result, recommendations for kids shows and adult movies are shown next to each other.

Netflix reported today (http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/NFLX/2285882890x0x655289/b41ecdf8-c4e7-4b42-80de-58fbdd9b9653/Advisory_Release_for_Q1_2013_earnings.pdf) that it has 29.2 million U.S. streaming subscribers, with shares up close to 25 precent (https://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:NFLX) after hours.

Article Link: Netflix Launches Family Plan, 4 Simultaneous Streams for $12/Month (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/22/netflix-launches-family-plan-4-simultaneous-streams-for-12month/)

SPUY767
Apr 22, 2013, 04:38 PM
That's a pretty good deal. I have an Apple TV on two TVs, smart tv on a third and an Apple TV on the projector in the garage, so I might actually consider upgrading. Better than having to buy an additional sub, which I had considered in the past because once in a while we'll run up against the limit.

JayCee842
Apr 22, 2013, 04:38 PM
Don't see why I would use this, but good for others who would use it and need it i guess

eawmp1
Apr 22, 2013, 04:40 PM
Meh, still comes down to content, and Netflix didn't do it for me.

herr_neumann
Apr 22, 2013, 04:45 PM
Easier for people that split memberships with friends.

skywalkerr69
Apr 22, 2013, 04:46 PM
Um, or I can use my friends login that he shares with multiple people and doing for the past year and a half for free?

Edit: Never ran into the " two-simultaneous " limit. Maybe i'm just lucky.

tann
Apr 22, 2013, 04:49 PM
This is a really nice feature, not just the streams, but the different logging of viewing habits.

Really nice for people who don't want their kids seeing films show up "because you liked 'Saw'' or something on their feeds haha.

bushido
Apr 22, 2013, 04:52 PM
didnt even know they blocked it, been using a friends for years and he never complained that he couldnt watch sth

roland.g
Apr 22, 2013, 04:59 PM
Netflix is a horrible business model and a dying product.

fraggot
Apr 22, 2013, 05:00 PM
I am not aware of any two stream limit haha.

I know people who have theirs connected to at least 4-5 different devices that use them all the time. I myself have used mine with more than 2, is this something new perhaps?

Jsameds
Apr 22, 2013, 05:07 PM

Worst quote of the century, perhaps?

QuarterSwede
Apr 22, 2013, 05:08 PM
They add a higher priced family plan but have still yet to add organization of any kind to the queue?

I'd love to split my families ratings and queues up but ... Eh.

Schmitty11
Apr 22, 2013, 05:09 PM

And I'm the president and am going to give everyone a rocket filled with chocolate. And a puppy.

Seriously though, why do you say that?

Fatherof5ive
Apr 22, 2013, 05:09 PM
I didn't have a problem with the two concurrent stream limit until this past month (or two?). I plan on upgrading my account.

RoastingPig
Apr 22, 2013, 05:22 PM
how do i share my accounts right now then? i think like 3 of friends already use my account and we watch simultaniously

milo
Apr 22, 2013, 05:30 PM
People are seriously too cheap for eight bucks a month? Wow.

nutmac
Apr 22, 2013, 05:53 PM
People are seriously too cheap for eight bucks a month? Wow.

One of the reasons is an artifact of all-you-can-eat buffet pricing model. Such model, even if it's fairly priced, can discourage light users altogether. Light users don't want to feel like they are subsidizing heavy users.

Second legitimate reason (other than being cheap)? Some (including myself) are underwhelmed by current Netflix streaming library.

aristotle
Apr 22, 2013, 06:16 PM
One of the reasons is an artifact of all-you-can-eat buffet pricing model. Such model, even if it's fairly priced, can discourage light users altogether. Light users don't want to feel like they are subsidizing heavy users.

Second legitimate reason (other than being cheap)? Some (including myself) are underwhelmed by current Netflix streamlining library.
You could sign up with a dns proxy service and gain access to more than one country's Netflix selection.

Right now, when you travel, you can access the local netflix service using your own account. I have a Canadian account I can I can access the US version when I am in the US or the UK version if I am in the UK but I can also use a DNS service to "switch" my region for netflix to access the American and UK versions with a few clicks of the mouse.

I pay about 5 bucks a month for that extra service. Considering that I am paying about 7 bucks a month for just one specialty channel on my "cable" TV service, netflix is pretty cheap.

Westside guy
Apr 22, 2013, 06:18 PM
So basically they're bringing the relevant parts of their old Profiles/Queues feature over to the streaming side. That's a good thing.

zin
Apr 22, 2013, 06:21 PM

I think there is a world market for maybe five computers... :rolleyes:

rorschach
Apr 22, 2013, 06:28 PM
You could sign up with a dns proxy service and gain access to more than one country's Netflix selection.

Right now, when you travel, you can access the local netflix service using your own account. I have a Canadian account I can I can access the US version when I am in the US or the UK version if I am in the UK but I can also use a DNS service to "switch" my region for netflix to access the American and UK versions with a few clicks of the mouse.

I pay about 5 bucks a month for that extra service. Considering that I am paying about 7 bucks a month for just one specialty channel on my "cable" TV service, netflix is pretty cheap.

Are you sure your account won't get flagged if they notice your location going from Canada to the US to Europe to the US to Canada in a very short time span, and often?

I don't know if they would, or do, but that would be my only worry. How long have you been doing it?

aristotle
Apr 22, 2013, 06:40 PM
Are you sure your account won't get flagged if they notice your location going from Canada to the US to Europe to the US to Canada in a very short time span, and often?

I don't know if they would, or do, but that would be my only worry. How long have you been doing it?
For a while. It is a feature of the account for when you travel so it is supported. You would probably get flagged I think if you had two streams from two different regions at the same time or switched regions often back and forth within the same day.

Don't abuse it and you should be fine.

I do travel a lot anyway.

Maybe, I come from Iowa and only "work" in space. :p

JAT
Apr 22, 2013, 08:04 PM
Second, the company is introducing a new feature to allow different family members to log their own viewing habits and get recommendations based on what shows they like. Currently, all viewer activity -- parents and kids -- are combined into one stream. As a result, recommendations for kids shows and adult movies are shown next to each other.

About damn time.

ctdonath
Apr 22, 2013, 08:06 PM
Those enjoying more than 2 streams may soon find themselves limited to 2. Seems the announcement is a heads-up to those.

JAT
Apr 22, 2013, 08:06 PM
how do i share my accounts right now then? i think like 3 of friends already use my account and we watch simultaniously

Obviously not all 3.

alent1234
Apr 22, 2013, 08:12 PM
Back to torrenting

RoastingPig
Apr 22, 2013, 08:27 PM
got a ipod ipad and xbox running simultaniously rite at this moment

paulrbeers
Apr 22, 2013, 08:48 PM

I guess if by Horrible you mean almost 30 million users, then I agree.....

When was the last time you created a product used by 30 million people?

jicon
Apr 22, 2013, 08:52 PM
Makes sense. Apparently Netflix is looking to start cracking down on shared accounts, so for those who do, I expect the ride to end soon.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-22/netflix-seen-cracking-down-on-sharing-to-bolster-profit.html

thelink
Apr 22, 2013, 08:56 PM
\
close to 25 precent[/url] after hours.

Percent?

Plutonius
Apr 22, 2013, 09:21 PM
I get both the Netflix DvD and Netflix streaming options and I find I spend more time watching the DvDs. I wouldn't pay anymore for streaming than I already do.

a0me
Apr 22, 2013, 09:44 PM
Compared to what? DVD rental? Cable networks?

7thson
Apr 22, 2013, 10:12 PM
They add a higher priced family plan but have still yet to add organization of any kind to the queue?.

I couldn't agree more. The only bright side is that it's worlds better than the Amazon Prime UI. Not even a queue to put future viewing content into. Just browse and browse and browse.

Bill Killer
Apr 22, 2013, 10:16 PM

Yeah, a dying product. That's why they recently launched a very successful original show (House of Cards) and are bringing back Arrested Developmemt.

speedylomeli
Apr 22, 2013, 10:47 PM
I've streamed Netflix on 3 devices at once, So i don't get it. PS3, Roku, iPhone. Does the iPhone not count?

Plutonius
Apr 22, 2013, 11:07 PM
I've streamed Netflix on 3 devices at once, So i don't get it. PS3, Roku, iPhone. Does the iPhone not count?

Others have indicated that Netflix will be enforcing the 2 device at once limit (i.e. you will not be able to stream to 3 devices at once unless you get their new $12.00 plan)..

zachlegomaniac
Apr 23, 2013, 07:04 AM

I would pay more for a bit more content. I think I've exhausted everything I want to watch that is available streaming (although I'll never tire of Cosmos:)).

Ingot
Apr 23, 2013, 07:57 AM

I have been using Netflix US for months now on my Canadian account with ATV. Computers and ios devices are on Canadian and are used at the same time as ATV. My service has not been terminated.

I think I am going to knock some wood...

SpyderBite
Apr 23, 2013, 08:11 AM
I couldn't agree more. The only bright side is that it's worlds better than the Amazon Prime UI. Not even a queue to put future viewing content into. Just browse and browse and browse.

Amen. There's some great content on Amazon Prime. It's just a nightmare to find it. Especially via the console and smart tv apps. I started doing all my browsing on the computer and filling up my queue for later watching.

KdParker
Apr 23, 2013, 08:46 AM
Why does this feel like it is going to cost me more money?

Arrrrgh...:eek:

milo
Apr 23, 2013, 10:19 AM
Some (including myself) are underwhelmed by current Netflix streaming library.

If someone really thinks it's lacking, they would go elsewhere for their content. If someone is watching it by "sharing" an account, that just seems like an excuse for being cheap.

Why does this feel like it is going to cost me more money?

Are you streaming more than two shows at once?

DavidLeblond
Apr 23, 2013, 11:04 AM
Wait is the $12/month only for the 4 simultaneous streams or does that also include the split profile? I'd love for normal streaming to have the split profile. Currently my Netflix recommendations are hijacked by the shows my 5 year old daughter watches.

twilcoxen
Apr 23, 2013, 11:47 AM
$12 is still pretty cheap and to get the disney crap out of my recently watched and recommendations will be worth it right there. Netflix is a great source of content even if not complete. I'm happy to pay another $4 a month to get streams for my 2 daughters and I when they are at their mother's house and be legit.

JAT
Apr 23, 2013, 11:50 AM
They have a Watchlist. I agree it isn't as good as Netflix overall. And Netflix isn't as good as I'd like, either.
It keeps stopping me at 2. I've been under the impression they are enforcing the 2 stream rule, and for many months, now.

nutmac
Apr 23, 2013, 12:23 PM
If someone really thinks it's lacking, they would go elsewhere for their content. If someone is watching it by "sharing" an account, that just seems like an excuse for being cheap.

While some may balk regardless of the price, to me it's all about value. I admit to being a light viewer (I watch about or less than 10 hours of TV a month) and I am very selective about what I watch. So I cannot justify spending $8/month for Netflix's streaming library. But lower price and/or better selection could change my mind.

Renzatic
Apr 23, 2013, 12:31 PM
Back to torrenting

They're offering me more options at a cheap price? Screw them! I'm going back to pirating!

winston1236
Apr 23, 2013, 12:58 PM

Yea im still waiting for a serious alternative to comcast.

milo
Apr 23, 2013, 01:06 PM
Wait is the $12/month only for the 4 simultaneous streams or does that also include the split profile?

It's not totally clear, but it sounds like the split profile is for all accounts.

Gasu E.
Apr 23, 2013, 01:25 PM
Worst quote of the century, perhaps?

Well, it's a young century; so possibly yes.

sambredeson
Apr 23, 2013, 01:49 PM

It's based on location. Netflix only allows one stream per device and two streams per IP. If you're sharing with friends, they will be logging in from a different IP than you.

Michael Goff
Apr 23, 2013, 01:59 PM
Back to torrenting

Was there a point, other than pointing out that you're a pirate?

thekev
Apr 23, 2013, 02:24 PM

Second legitimate reason (other than being cheap)? Some (including myself) are underwhelmed by current Netflix streaming library.

How cheap is it really going to get? TV episodes for $1.99 or $2.99 a la carte or something in that range? A couple of the television networks use ad subsidized models on their own sites, but it's still a bit limited. I think these light users may find they will not pay much less even if it's just one show a week.

I guess if by Horrible you mean almost 30 million users, then I agree.....

When was the last time you created a product used by 30 million people?

Do not feed them. If he wasn't trolling he would have at least provided some detail.

nutmac
Apr 23, 2013, 07:49 PM
How cheap is it really going to get? TV episodes for $1.99 or $2.99 a la carte or something in that range? A couple of the television networks use ad subsidized models on their own sites, but it's still a bit limited. I think these light users may find they will not pay much less even if it's just one show a week.

I am not implying $7.99 is exorbitant. But like buffet, both heavy and light users get charged the same, and it is completely natural for lighter users to feel like they are not getting as much value out of it, especially given limited library. When and if library improves significantly, it may become easier for everyone to justify $7.99 (or even higher) monthly subscription fee. Until then, I think it is natural for lighter users feel as if they are subsidizing heavier users.

7thson
Apr 23, 2013, 10:25 PM
They have a Watchlist. I agree it isn't as good as Netflix overall. And Netflix isn't as good as I'd like, either.

Thanks for the clarification. I've tried to figure it out, but it doesn't seem to work from platform to platform. I tried to create a watchlist on my Mac but it doesn't show up on my Amazon Prime app within my tv's media player. I keep waiting for Amazon to step up and make the UI independent of the rest of the Amazon shopping experience. There's way too much clutter just browsing for movies to watch.

milo
Apr 24, 2013, 08:47 AM
it is completely natural for lighter users to feel like they are not getting as much value out of it

Even for a viewer who only watches ten hours a month, what other alternative offers ten hours of streamed content for $8, with a better selection?

nutmac
Apr 24, 2013, 11:48 AM
Even for a viewer who only watches ten hours a month, what other alternative offers ten hours of streamed content for $8, with a better selection?

I watch 10 hours a month, not from Netflix, but from other sources. When I tried Netflix trial a couple of months ago, I watched perhaps 4 hours top (2 episodes of House of Cards and 1 old movie). I may re-subscribe for a month when Arrested Development comes out.

Jessica Lares
Apr 24, 2013, 11:54 AM
When is this going live? Anyone know?

milo
Apr 24, 2013, 12:02 PM
from other sources.

Which are?

nutmac
Apr 24, 2013, 12:49 PM
Which are?

OTA HDTV programmings, Hulu free (streamed from Mac), local library video rental.

alent1234
Apr 24, 2013, 01:06 PM
I am not implying $7.99 is exorbitant. But like buffet, both heavy and light users get charged the same, and it is completely natural for lighter users to feel like they are not getting as much value out of it, especially given limited library. When and if library improves significantly, it may become easier for everyone to justify $7.99 (or even higher) monthly subscription fee. Until then, I think it is natural for lighter users feel as if they are subsidizing heavier users.

if you're paying $150 for cable its one thing. but $7.99 a month?

TV and movies cost more to produce than music so don't expect a spotify here

nutmac
Apr 24, 2013, 01:52 PM
if you're paying $150 for cable its one thing. but $7.99 a month?

TV and movies cost more to produce than music so don't expect a spotify here

OTA is not cable. It stands for Over-The-Air programming. And for occasional premium and/or cable programming, I either buy the episodes from Apple or rent it from the library.

In any case, I have admitted many times to being a light user and how Netflix does not offer enough streaming selection for me to justify $8/month (or at least feel like a stooge for subsidizing heavier users). I have been a Netflix user since 1999 and have been a heavy user. I canceled only after Netflix separated DVD/BD rental from streaming businesses (and thus increasing overall cost).

You are keep arguing how $8/month is a chump change, but I just don't see myself watching enough of what Netflix offers to justify spending over $100/year (after taxes). And as I have indicated, if the price drops and/or selection improves significantly, I would seriously re-consider.

milo
Apr 24, 2013, 02:43 PM
OTA HDTV programmings, Hulu free (streamed from Mac), local library video rental.

Free is always going to win on price, but none of those listed come anywhere close to the selection of NF streaming, much less the ability to watch on demand and without commercials.

At the iTunes store, most movie rentals are $3.99 or $4.99, and TV episodes are $1.99. So for $8 at the iTunes store, you can buy four episodes of a sitcom, for a whopping 92 minutes of entertainment. Sure the selection is better, but somehow that is a better value than unlimited streaming for that price?

JAT
Apr 24, 2013, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I've tried to figure it out, but it doesn't seem to work from platform to platform. I tried to create a watchlist on my Mac but it doesn't show up on my Amazon Prime app within my tv's media player. I keep waiting for Amazon to step up and make the UI independent of the rest of the Amazon shopping experience. There's way too much clutter just browsing for movies to watch.

I know what you mean, and have similar issues with Netflix.

This is more a software design issue. I have added to my Watchlist both in iOS app and in my Roku3. But that means nothing for other apps. The TiVo doesn't even have an Amazon app, it's compatibility (claimed in Tivos marketing) is only for rental/purchase from Amazon, I don't even use it.

nutmac
Apr 24, 2013, 03:12 PM
Free is always going to win on price, but none of those listed come anywhere close to the selection of NF streaming, much less the ability to watch on demand and without commercials.

At the iTunes store, most movie rentals are $3.99 or $4.99, and TV episodes are $1.99. So for $8 at the iTunes store, you can buy four episodes of a sitcom, for a whopping 92 minutes of entertainment. Sure the selection is better, but somehow that is a better value than unlimited streaming for that price?

It all depends on what you watch. 90% of what I used to watch on Netflix (DVD/BD and streaming) are covered by the local library (one near my home has several thousand titles, including at least half the latest releases) and broadcast networks. At best, Netflix streaming covers 25% of what I used to watch. While Netflix does offer titles (that I would watch) neither OTA nor local library offers, that remaining 10% are covered by Apple and other means at a cost far less than $100+/year.

Again, I must stress that I am a light viewer and I am not trying to shove my viewing habits to everyone. But at the same time, I don't think you are making a compelling argument to getting me spend $8/month on Netflix rental (at least given the current selection).

milo
Apr 24, 2013, 03:35 PM
a compelling argument

Frankly, I don't think a compelling argument to get you to subscribe exists, and I'm not trying to make one, just wondering what's out there that's a better value.

For Netflix, there's no reason for them to even worry about people who would rather scrounge around than pay their current pricing. If they charged $2 per month, there would still be someone somewhere who would complain that it wasn't $1.

RenoG
May 2, 2013, 09:25 AM
This option sounds cool and all for those who could use it, but NF doesn't have enough worthy content to where our family are all standing in line to watch our favorite shows or movie. The current limit is perfect for us.