PDA

View Full Version : $15 iPhone 4 Antenna Settlement Checks Now Being Received

MacRumors
Apr 22, 2013, 10:16 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/22/15-iphone-4-antenna-settlement-checks-now-being-received/)

The first responders to the iPhone 4 antenna class action lawsuit are receiving their $15 settlement checks, reports (http://9to5mac.com/2013/04/22/iphone-4-owners-begin-receiving-their-15-antennagate-settlement-checks-from-apple/) to 9to5Mac.
http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/04/antennaclaimcheck.png*Image via 9to5Mac (http://9to5mac.com/2013/04/22/iphone-4-owners-begin-receiving-their-15-antennagate-settlement-checks-from-apple/)The settlement, which came about in February 2012 (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/18/apple-settles-class-action-suit-regarding-iphone-4-antenna/), is limited (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/29/15-iphone-4-antenna-settlement-claims-now-being-accepted/) to people who experienced antenna issues with their iPhone 4 but were unable to return their device and opted not to receive a free bumper case from Apple.
Apple will provide a $15 cash payment to Class Members who send in a valid claim form. The claim form will require you to declare that you: (a) experienced antenna or reception issues with your iPhone 4; (b) were unable to return your iPhone 4 without incurring any costs; (c) were unwilling to use a case or free bumper for your iPhone 4; and (d) completed certain troubleshooting steps or are unable to complete the troubleshooting steps because you no longer own your iPhone 4.The first checks were issued on April 17, 2013 and are void after July 16. Apple accepted claims (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/29/15-iphone-4-antenna-settlement-claims-now-being-accepted/) until August 28 of 2012.

Article Link: $15 iPhone 4 Antenna Settlement Checks Now Being Received (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/22/15-iphone-4-antenna-settlement-checks-now-being-received/)

komodrone
Apr 22, 2013, 10:17 PM
"I've been cranky all year waiting for my $15. Now I feel better. This incident is completely justified now. Thank you lawyers!" -no one

mrsir2009
Apr 22, 2013, 10:26 PM
Putting in the claim sounds like too much bother for fifteen bucks, IMO.

1080p
Apr 22, 2013, 10:27 PM
So in 2016 we can expect checks in the mail for "iPhone 5 Aluminum Scuffing Settlement."

Mr. Gates
Apr 22, 2013, 10:32 PM
The bumper was the better deal

EW800
Apr 22, 2013, 10:35 PM
I bet this is bringing Apple to its knees! :) They must be laughing about this with the billions that they have sitting around.

wordoflife
Apr 22, 2013, 10:40 PM
It's not much, especially this late in time - but its something I guess.

4TheLoveOfTech
Apr 22, 2013, 10:48 PM
Apple makes it ridiculously hard to get a lousy $15 for a defective phone?

I'm just glad I returned mine and that's what it took for me to go with Android.

I had the first (full price). Received the iTunes credit when they dropped the price as their apology for huge price drop after launch and made the mistake of getting the 3G. At least that still gets used in my Bose dock.

Never again. Tomorrow should be interesting with results posting after the market closes.

Disgraceful settlement.

rdlink
Apr 22, 2013, 10:58 PM

I'm just glad I returned mine and that's what it took for me to go with Android.

I had the first (full price). Received the iTunes credit when they dropped the price as their apology for huge price drop after launch and made the mistake of getting the 3G. At least that still gets used in my Bose dock.

Never again. Tomorrow should be interesting with results posting after the market closes.

Disgraceful settlement.

Android. Bose dock. LOL

SchneiderMan
Apr 22, 2013, 11:23 PM
$15... That's like two meals at McDonald's. Half the cost of an Apple Bumper.

OtherJesus
Apr 22, 2013, 11:46 PM
They must be so proud of themselves.

Stores are selling out of frames.

maxosx
Apr 22, 2013, 11:58 PM
The humor involved in this situation is worth more than the $15. When my Antennagate Special wouldn't make a call yet my 3GS would in the same location time & date, I knew Apple blew it.

There's nothing like keeping your old one till you've done the testing Apple failed to. You're never caught unprepared that way. Nor is Apple, they keep our money and smile :)

4TheLoveOfTech
Apr 23, 2013, 12:42 AM
Android. Bose dock. LOL

Apple maps, Sorry (Siri), iOS from 2007 & Google scraps they give to Apple.
Good luck with the new Yahoo in iOS 6. It should be magical.

LOL

gaximus
Apr 23, 2013, 01:03 AM

Disgraceful settlement.

So did you get $15 for your defective phone or did you return it for full price. I would assume apple only gives you the money if you kept the (defective) phone.

RoastingPig
Apr 23, 2013, 01:40 AM
like 3 years later....

iMikeT
Apr 23, 2013, 02:19 AM
Hmmmmm, a $30 case I got in 2010 or a $15 check in 2013? Tough choice. :confused:

Fruit Cake
Apr 23, 2013, 02:38 AM
Don't spend it all at once! Lol

wingsabre
Apr 23, 2013, 03:49 AM
Free $35 case a few months after getting the phone vs $15 3 years later. I guess it really depends on how anal you'd like to be.

bazinga!!
Apr 23, 2013, 04:00 AM

LOL

I think you're on the wrong forum.

needfx
Apr 23, 2013, 05:21 AM
USD15 is a lame amount.

I would just keep the check as memorabilia

also, is the cheque signed by Cook?

0dev
Apr 23, 2013, 05:31 AM
"Your $800 phone can't make phone calls if you hold it. To make up for this, here's $15 three years later."

:rolleyes:

WilliamLondon
Apr 23, 2013, 05:34 AM
$15 - reminds me of that scene from Trading Places (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av_vcjD2h2g).

Popeye206
Apr 23, 2013, 06:04 AM
The only one who benefits from this one are the lawyers who filed this suit. What a waste of time and money.

fpsBeaTt
Apr 23, 2013, 06:12 AM

Disgraceful settlement.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/37207927.jpg

thehustleman
Apr 23, 2013, 06:18 AM
If you refuse to use A FREE case given to you then you don't deserve any kind of settlement.

Apple should have told them to deal with it

BornAgainMac
Apr 23, 2013, 06:28 AM
I had a Blackberry that had the same problem and they never gave me a dime.

samcraig
Apr 23, 2013, 06:30 AM
The bumper was the better deal

I have no doubt (as any corporate would) - they ran the numbers with a "bean counter" to determine what the hit would be with a lawsuit and determined that not only was it more equitable to take their chances - but that most people would choose the free bumper which no doubt costs Apple a LOT less to provide vs the $15. So both Apple and the customer "wins." Apple pays less per disgruntled customer and the customer who chose the bumper winds up with something of "greater" value.

Mr.damien
Apr 23, 2013, 06:48 AM
LMAO. And people says that companies fear Class Action ? lol

gixxerfool
Apr 23, 2013, 07:04 AM
Well, it's more than the $.60, yes you read that correctly, that I got from eBay.

kas23
Apr 23, 2013, 07:09 AM
USD15 is a lame amount.

I would just keep the check as memorabilia

also, is the cheque signed by Cook?

Screw the $15, I think a more suitable punishment would have been to have Cook physically sign them all.

Simplicated
Apr 23, 2013, 07:20 AM

Disgraceful settlement.

LOL

I question your sanity.

Terrin
Apr 23, 2013, 07:52 AM

Disgraceful settlement.

Seriously? Apple was generous in giving out the credit. Manufacturers bring out new goods all the time and prices change. People like you are whiners and feel you are entitled to more than you were promised. Early adopters generally pay more.

As far as the antennae thing goes, I agree the settlement is disgraceful. Apple shouldn't have been sued by whiners to begin with. I had a Motorola phone that actually said in the instruction book not to hold the phone a certain way or it would drop calls. My roomates Galaxy does the same thing.

Apple's design was an improvement because you knew exactly where not to grip it too tight. Moreover, Apple let people for 30 days return the phone, or get a free bumber.

Disgraceful indeed.

----------

Screw the $15, I think a more suitable punishment would have been to have Cook physically sign them all.

I bet Apple doesn't issue a thousand checks. My original iPhone 4 is still running strong.

----------

I had a Blackberry that had the same problem and they never gave me a dime.

Neither did Motorola, Nokia or Samsung give me anything. Motorola even mentioned the issue in the instructions.

BanterClaus
Apr 23, 2013, 08:12 AM
Gosh you yanks spell cheques weirdly.

Costino1
Apr 23, 2013, 09:14 AM
Got my check yesterday..

Whoopie...

SPUY767
Apr 23, 2013, 09:30 AM
I think you're on the wrong forum.

More trolls of this board now that actual users. And trolls are the most active, sadly. People who joined 2 years ago to post android troll content have twice the posts that I've had in ten years.

WestonHarvey1
Apr 23, 2013, 09:36 AM
Still using my 4. Still a non-issue.

Pompiliu
Apr 23, 2013, 09:42 AM
$15... That's like two meals at McDonald's.
I know, right? :rolleyes:

http://global3.memecdn.com/Fast-Food-Junkie_o_92699.jpg

Smartass
Apr 23, 2013, 10:27 AM
Still using my 4. Still a non-issue.
+1
I know, right? :rolleyes:

Image (http://global3.memecdn.com/Fast-Food-Junkie_o_92699.jpg)

shut up, bigmac is a bigmac. Doesnt matter if you're a fat bastard or a bodybuillder - that burger has the best taste of them all.:cool:

MikeE21286
Apr 23, 2013, 10:35 AM
Got mine yesterday

AlexisV
Apr 23, 2013, 10:37 AM
A free $15 for a phone that never had anything wrong with it in the first place?

Sounds like a good deal for most to me.

SchneiderMan
Apr 23, 2013, 10:45 AM
+1

shut up, bigmac is a bigmac. Doesnt matter if you're a fat bastard or a bodybuillder - that burger has the best taste of them all.:cool:

Compared to a real proper burger it tastes pretty horrid.

rdlink
Apr 23, 2013, 10:56 AM
Apple maps, Works fine for me.Sorry (Siri)Works fine for me., iOS from 2007Although untrue, as my iOS is from 2013, it works fine for me. & Google scraps they give to Apple.Don't use.

LOL

Have had 6 Android devices. Sold or returned them all. Made the mistake of buying a Bose dock. Bose has gotten my last dollar.

Enjoy your festering puss-bucket of an OS. Should be magical...

Bubba Satori
Apr 23, 2013, 11:06 AM
A free $15 for a phone that never had anything wrong with it in the first place?

Sounds like a good deal for most to me.

Hi Phil.

4TheLoveOfTech
Apr 23, 2013, 11:06 AM
Have had 6 Android devices. Sold or returned them all. Made the mistake of buying a Bose dock. Bose has gotten my last dollar.

Enjoy your festering puss-bucket of an OS. Should be magical...

You've had "6 Android Devices" and yet you still call it a puss-bucket of an OS.
At least I learned after 2 phones that iOS wasn't for me.

What 6 Android devices did you purchase? And why did continue purchasing them if you feel so strongly against Android and Google?

Bubba Satori
Apr 23, 2013, 11:07 AM
Have had 6 Android devices. Sold or returned them all.

Slow learner?

FakeWozniak
Apr 23, 2013, 11:08 AM
More trolls of this board now that actual users. And trolls are the most active, sadly. People who joined 2 years ago to post android troll content have twice the posts that I've had in ten years.

I have wondered if corporate Apple critics have hired otherwise unemployable people to troll MacRumors. Example, if you couldn't get a clerk job at the Department of Motor Vehicles or airport security job at the Department of Homeland Security, there was always the "work at home for $75/hr" option of trolling MacRumors.

thehustleman
Apr 23, 2013, 11:33 AM
Seriously? Apple was generous in giving out the credit. Manufacturers bring out new goods all the time and prices change. People like you are whiners and feel you are entitled to more than you were promised. Early adopters generally pay more.

As far as the antennae thing goes, I agree the settlement is disgraceful. Apple shouldn't have been sued by whiners to begin with. I had a Motorola phone that actually said in the instruction book not to hold the phone a certain way or it would drop calls. My roomates Galaxy does the same thing.

Apple's design was an improvement because you knew exactly where not to grip it too tight. Moreover, Apple let people for 30 days return the phone, or get a free bumber.

Disgraceful indeed.

----------

I bet Apple doesn't issue a thousand checks. My original iPhone 4 is still running strong.

----------

Neither did Motorola, Nokia or Samsung give me anything. Motorola even mentioned the issue in the instructions.

You people Kill me! You can't even admit when apple does anything wrong!

The antenna issue DESERVED compensation. At least Motorola disclosed it upfront.

winston1236
Apr 23, 2013, 12:54 PM
Putting in the claim sounds like too much bother for fifteen bucks, IMO.

No kidding. With how much apple makes the payouts should have been in the thousands.

St8kout
Apr 23, 2013, 02:33 PM
I got an expensive Speck case for free instead of a measly $15 check some 3 years later. As usual, the lawyers got the real payoff from the cash settlement. Lol, you losers can buy your date a Happy Meal now.

hordelover
Apr 23, 2013, 03:38 PM
I got $500.00 a few weeks ago from this lawsuit!

C DM
Apr 23, 2013, 05:56 PM
I got $500.00 a few weeks ago from this lawsuit!And how's that (assuming this wasn't missing some sort of </sarcasm> type of tag)?