Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
I've been giving Capture One a go and when I enter the crop tool, I see this edge that is supposedly cropped out, but I haven't touched the image.

Canon's 18.0MP sensors having 5184x3456, surely enough the viewed resolution (the "cropped" resolution) was 5184x3456, and that's what I thought was the maximum. But apparently there is a hidden edge normally not visible; when this is included in the image, the resolution becomes 5297x3456 and the frame becomes wider.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here? Does this mean the RAWs capture more than they seem to capture, or the camera automatically limits itself to 5184x3456?

/"\/oo\/"\

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
I would venture a guess that these pixels are the difference between total pixels and effective pixels. As to why the total available pixels aren't used by default...that's a google endeavor that I leave to someone else.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
When an image is interpolated from a raw file the raw pixes around the edge can't really be used. This is because you need the color info in all sides of an output image. Otherwise you get an edge effect because the pixs on the edge were processed differently then the others. Some software can "cheat" and try to use those pixels

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.