PDA

View Full Version : RAM for my Powerbook 15", 1.5 GHZ

Gherkin
Oct 26, 2005, 12:32 AM
I was told on here before to buy from Data Memory Systems. Is this the best place to buy?

I'm looking to get a 1 GB stick. DMS lists this as $155 (Samsung original) and for $144 (I assume generic or something?).

Also, the RAM for the new Powerbooks, DDR2, is cheaper ($104) then for DDR ($155, $144)?? I thought it was newer and faster, thus wouldn't it be more expensive?

CanadaRAM
Oct 26, 2005, 01:33 AM
I was told on here before to buy from Data Memory Systems. Is this the best place to buy?

I'm looking to get a 1 GB stick. DMS lists this as $155 (Samsung original) and for $144 (I assume generic or something?).

Also, the RAM for the new Powerbooks, DDR2, is cheaper ($104) then for DDR ($155, $144)?? I thought it was newer and faster, thus wouldn't it be more expensive?
Data Memory Systems is tops in my books. If you're in the USA they are the way to go.

The Samsung at $155 and the Swissbit or Infineon module at $144 will perform exactly the same in your machine. It's up to you if you like the brand name for the extra $11.

DDR-2 RAM is lower in price because
1) the specification allows the manufacturer to use fewer, higher density chips per module. Where a DDR will have 16 chips on it, the DDR-2 will have 8.
2) the fabrication plants have been switched from DDR to DDR-2 components in a big way, so there are plenty of DDR-2 raw components (and fewer DDR components, so DDR prices will start to rise). Also, the newest design techniques have gone into the DDR-2 chips, so they are smaller, giving higher yields per wafer, therefore lower production costs.

All of which means nothing to your Powerbook, because it is married to PC2700 DDR SODIMMs.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com