PDA

View Full Version : Can I cut songs and paste together to make a new "remix"

stateof2005
Oct 26, 2005, 12:38 AM
I need to make essentially a compilation song of about 4 songs together. I want to cut pieces of songs for example the chorus and then make a new track with all the pieces of the songs compiling the new track.

Can I do this with no special software...just a powerbook that i bought in february of this year?

I was thinking I could import them to garageband somehow? then fix the new track how I want?

What do you guys think?

mad jew
Oct 26, 2005, 12:45 AM
Garageband sounds good. I'm no expert but just drag the tunes into the open app and chop/change to your heart's delight. :)

.:*Robot Boy*:.
Oct 26, 2005, 01:04 AM
It could get a little tricky due to the fact that the tracks you're splicing together will be of different a tempo, pitch, and volume. Secondly, GarageBand isn't precise enough to cut the waveform at a 'zero crossing'. The effect of this is that a pop or a click can occur at the edit point. The way to correct this is to crossfade between the two edits. I'm not sure if GarageBand does this, but I'm pretty sure Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) will.

It may not matter to you, but, as an engineer, I tend to get obsessed over little things like this :o

840quadra
Oct 26, 2005, 01:14 AM
I am using Garageband to digitize some old tapes and records at home. It actually has a quite silent record start and stop. You can also do some quite advanced audiounit effects to play with your recorded transitions.

I have actually stopped a tape I was digitizing (by accident) and since it was almost at the end, I decided to try to "splice" digital recordings together and continue, as opposed to start over. I cannot hear (even with headphones) anything out of the ordinary at the point were I spliced the sections together. I am finding garageband to be a quite powerful little toy to play with recently!

I am not sure how to splice using Garageband with MP3 or other files, as I only use analogue or optical In to record and edit my sound files.

http://forums.macrumors.com/image.php?u=47064&dateline=1127904880&type=profile

DaftUnion
Oct 26, 2005, 01:44 AM
Garageband if your on Mac...if your on Windows try Cool Edit Pro 2.0 aka Adobe Audition.

stateof2005
Oct 26, 2005, 08:24 AM
Thanks guys...