Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
the fastest chip in a mac desktop is 1.25 ghz, and there are two of those in a machine

the fastest chip in a mac laptop is 1 ghz

thoughts?

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
Re: will mac laptops ever catch desktops?

Originally posted by jefhatfield
the fastest chip in a mac desktop is 1.25 ghz, and there are two of those in a machine

the fastest chip in a mac laptop is 1 ghz

thoughts?

Interesting... I suppose it depends on your needs... I just ended up getting both - no problems. I guess if you need portability, that's the factor that determines what's going on. I noticed in the XBENCH thread that portables were holding their own... has anyone analysed the results of the Xbench posts?

:cool:

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Please correct me if i'm wrong, but i can't remember a single time when laptop's have run at the same top speed as desktops (within the mac world). The closest thing was when the G4 was stuck at 500MHz, and the powerbook G3 was running at that same clock speed. Other than that, the laptops have always been one step behind the desktops, which is what we can still see today. The last three top speeds of the desktop series were 800MHz, 1GHz and now 1.25GHz. The last two laptop revs have taken it from 800MHz to 1GHz. Is there a trend developing?

In short, i don't think we'll ever see laptops catch up to desktops in terms of speed and features. It will most likely stay how it is now, 1 step behind. Desktops simply have more space, which can be used to dissipate heat more effectively than a small laptop enclosure.

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by britboy

In short, i don't think we'll ever see laptops catch up to desktops in terms of speed and features. It will most likely stay how it is now, 1 step behind. Desktops simply have more space, which can be used to dissipate heat more effectively than a small laptop enclosure.

i think once the heat can be controlled through a really small micron process with less voltage and less heat, the speeds of a laptop could be the same as any desktop and not have any disturbing effect on battery time

but as far as features go, the desktops will always have more space which will always allow more features, more bays, more hard drives, etc

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
The main concern is battery life and current battery technology, the heat issues can be gotten over through solid R&D.......

I'd still love to see a Dual PowerBook, it'll fit no doubt, but I guess it'd require a super innovative cooling system...... battery technology will improve and the capability to switch the extra processor of in the OS could be achieved, if this was ever realised, it'd truely be a complete desktop replacement!!

That said..... the benchmarks for the current 1GHz TiBook compared to the Dual 1GHz desktop do look very encouraging..... makes you wonder where all that extra juice on the Dual processor has gone?

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by iGAV
The main concern is battery life and current battery technology, the heat issues can be gotten over through solid R&D.......

I'd still love to see a Dual PowerBook, it'll fit no doubt, but I guess it'd require a super innovative cooling system...... battery technology will improve and the capability to switch the extra processor of in the OS could be achieved, if this was ever realised, it'd truely be a complete desktop replacement!!

That said..... the benchmarks for the current 1GHz TiBook compared to the Dual 1GHz desktop do look very encouraging..... makes you wonder where all that extra juice on the Dual processor has gone?

the dual processor tibook is the last great frontier that a G4 based laptop can likely achieve before the next processor comes along

the tibook has superdrive, 100% titanium enclosure, 1" super thin design, 1 ghz speed, a 15" inch screen, and a lot of other firsts for a mac laptop

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.