PDA

View Full Version : [phones] Switching to Nexus 4 - My Experience

slu
Apr 23, 2013, 12:09 PM
I am currently an iPhone 4 user. I have never used a smartphone other than an iPhone. I wouldn't say that I am unhappy with the iPhone, but I decided to switch to a Nexus 4, which I will receive today. I decided to go with Android for one simple reason: I wanted a bigger screen. I decided that to me all other pros and cons of iOS vs. Andriod were not as important as screen size.

Some backround information on my pre-switch status:

I currently run my iPhone 4 unlocked on Straight Talk. The Nexus 4 appealed to me because it is also unlocked and because of the price. But price was not the deciding factor as I also considered an unlocked "T-Mobile" iPhone 5 or a used 4S. I just want to pop in my straight talk sim and go. I also wanted a phone that would certainly get the next Android update in a timely manner.

I am in an all Apple household. Both my wife and I use Macs. We have 3 AppleTVs. We use an Airport Extreme and an Airport Express. I have an iPad 2 and an iPod classic. I sync with iCloud. I use iPhoto and iTunes. I use Photostream. I have purchased many iOS apps over the years. Frankly, being so entrenched in the iOS/Apple ecosystem is my main concern about making the switch. But reseach I have done here and on other sites leads me to believe that these concerns are easily addressed via Andriod or apps from the Play store.

I do not play games on my phone. I use my phone for what most people do: web, email, phone, photos, video, streaming audio from tunein or Google Music, news apps, weather, etc. I don't use any niche apps, or at least heavily. I am not jailbroken.

The first thing I will do is transition from iCloud to Google services for contacts and calendar. I will also need to do this on my iPad and Mac, but I used this setup before iCloud existed, so I am comfortable with that. I am already a Gmail and Google Music user, so I should be set there. I don't plan on immediately installing Android versions of apps that I currently have. Instead I plan to install them as I need them.

I wanted to post this thread to share my experiences over the coming days to hopefully help others with the decision to switch. I will also be happy to answer any questions. I will post my initial impressions of the device after I get home from work and have some time to set it up.

mattopotamus
Apr 23, 2013, 12:18 PM
I am currently an iPhone 4 user. I have never used a smartphone other than an iPhone. I wouldn't say that I am unhappy with the iPhone, but I decided to switch to a Nexus 4, which I will receive today. I decided to go with Android for one simple reason: I wanted a bigger screen. I decided that to me all other pros and cons of iOS vs. Andriod were not as important as screen size.

I currently run my iPhone 4 unlocked on Straight Talk. The Nexus 4 appealed to me because it is also unlocked and because of the price. But price was not the deciding factor as I also considered an unlocked "T-Mobile" iPhone 5 or a used 4S. I just want to pop in my straight talk sim and go. I also wanted a phone that would certainly get the next Android update in a timely manner.

I am in an all Apple household. Both my wife and I use Macs. We have 3 AppleTVs. We use an Airport Extreme and an Airport Express. I have an iPad 2 and an iPod classic. I sync with iCloud. I use iPhoto and iTunes. I use Photostream. I have purchased many iOS apps over the years. Frankly, being so entrenched in the iOS/Apple ecosystem is my main concern about making the switch. But reseach I have done here and on other sites leads me to believe that these concerns are easily addressed via Andriod or apps from the Play store.

I do not play games on my phone. I use my phone for what most people do: web, email, phone, photos, video, streaming audio from tunein or Google Music, news apps, weather, etc. I don't use any niche apps, or at least heavily. I am not jailbroken.

The first thing I will do is transition from iCloud to Google services for contacts and calendar. I will also need to do this on my iPad and Mac, but I used this setup before iCloud existed, so I am comfortable with that. I am already a Gmail and Google Music user, so I should be set there. I don't plan on immediately installing Android versions of apps that I currently have. Instead I plan to install them as I need them.

I wanted to post this thread to share my experiences over the coming days to hopefully help others with the decision to switch. I will also be happy to answer any questions. I will post my initial impressions of the device after I get home from work and have some time to set it up.

It sounds like you know what to do to make the transition. It is good that you still have the ipad b.c you will need that for the airports and airplay. My set up is virtually the same. I use the nexus 4, but have an ipad since I use appletv and airports.

jrswizzle
Apr 23, 2013, 12:24 PM
Sweet - the Nexus 4 is my first Android smartphone as well. Its a great phone and for the price, you can't beat it.

I'll just say initially, if you don't want to switch from iCloud to Google services (I know you said you were comfortable with the switch, I figured I'd offer up my experience and $0.02 anyways) - there are some great tools that make the transition really easy.

I still use all Apple products, aside from my N4 and didn't want to have to change over to all new services. I use CardDav sync and CalDav sync for my iCloud contacts and calendars, Google Music hooks up to iTunes nicely so everytime I purchase through iTunes it shows up everywhere, including my Nexus 4 without me having to do anything, and K9 email is just about the best email client I've found and it syncs up your iCloud emails perfectly (with the exception that every Android mail client has - you can't zoom out to see the entire email at once, for whatever reason).

I haven't looked into syncing up Photostream, though I doubt there's a way and simply use dropbox which auto syncs my photos in my two phones (I still use my iPhone 5 to take photos - the N4 camera isn't that great).

Other than that, some apps I've found fun and useful in the switch:

-Nova Prime Launcher
-Dashclock
-LightFlow (for managing the notification light - somewhat handy at times, and annoying at others)
-Falcon Pro (twitter client)
-Power toggles
-Tasker (if you are technically inclined, this is a cool app to write different automated tasks and whatnot)

Hope you enjoy the phone - coming from an iP4 I'm sure you'll notice a nice speed increase and higher quality display. Just watch the battery life :D

daveathall
Apr 23, 2013, 12:24 PM
I also have a Nexus 4 with all other devices being Apple (iPad mini, Apple tv, 2 iPod Classics, MBP) I find that Google contacts, calendar and mail suits me great. My old eyes also appreciate the larger screen. Enjoy your new phone. :)

slu
Apr 23, 2013, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into them all. Especially the iCloud sync stuff.

Does anybody recommend the wireless charging station?

Essenar
Apr 23, 2013, 12:59 PM
Also, make sure you sign up for box.net. LG Nexus 4 owners get a free 50GB account. Add this to DropBox and Google Drive and you've got yourself a cool 60GB in the cloud.

Secondly, check this out:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/251247-nexus-4-best-apps-22apr-camera-fv-5-shot-control.html

It's worth considering rooting and installing a custom rom/kernel. It's a LOT easier on these 2013 Android devices. Most of the steps are automated with a batch/terminal file and a better kernel gives you: Improved processor performance, better battery life, more stability.

Spend some time trying out widgets and see how you like your home screen to look. Also check out PIE and see if you can get used to not having the drag down notification center and three buttons at the bottom. I got used to PIE so I don't mind losing the static buttons in favor of more viewable screen area.

Also, for headsets, remember that most three button headsets don't work on the Nexus 4 so a headset with a mic and a pause/play button should be all you need. I would consider the Klipsch S4A's or even the JVC HXF101's.

A few app recommendations: Pulse, SwiftKey, The Weather Channel, My Class Schedule (If you're in school), Dropbox, Box.net, Apollo music player, Color Note, Juice Defender, Lightflow Lite (Let's you set up camera flash/LED blinks for SMS/Gmail notifications and more, it's REALLY cool), Power Toggles (control your wifi, 4g, bluetooth and brightness from a button based widget), Evernote (syncs between different devices).

Also upload your music to your Google Drive so you can access it with Play Music app. This will save you considerable space on your phone from music.

mattopotamus
Apr 23, 2013, 01:06 PM
Sweet - the Nexus 4 is my first Android smartphone as well. Its a great phone and for the price, you can't beat it.

I'll just say initially, if you don't want to switch from iCloud to Google services (I know you said you were comfortable with the switch, I figured I'd offer up my experience and $0.02 anyways) - there are some great tools that make the transition really easy.

I still use all Apple products, aside from my N4 and didn't want to have to change over to all new services. I use CardDav sync and CalDav sync for my iCloud contacts and calendars, Google Music hooks up to iTunes nicely so everytime I purchase through iTunes it shows up everywhere, including my Nexus 4 without me having to do anything, and K9 email is just about the best email client I've found and it syncs up your iCloud emails perfectly (with the exception that every Android mail client has - you can't zoom out to see the entire email at once, for whatever reason).

I haven't looked into syncing up Photostream, though I doubt there's a way and simply use dropbox which auto syncs my photos in my two phones (I still use my iPhone 5 to take photos - the N4 camera isn't that great).

Other than that, some apps I've found fun and useful in the switch:

-Nova Prime Launcher
-Dashclock
-LightFlow (for managing the notification light - somewhat handy at times, and annoying at others)
-Power toggles
-Tasker (if you are technically inclined, this is a cool app to write different automated tasks and whatnot)

Hope you enjoy the phone - coming from an iP4 I'm sure you'll notice a nice speed increase and higher quality display. Just watch the battery life :D

The gmail app allows you to zoom and auto-fits the emails.

jrswizzle
Apr 23, 2013, 01:31 PM
The gmail app allows you to zoom and auto-fits the emails.

Ya - but then I have to funnel all my emails through my gmail account.....no thanks.

Would be nice if Google paid as much attention to their stock mail apps as they did their gmail one.

And why are there two? That irritates me to no end.....I have having multiple apps for the same thing.

slu
Apr 23, 2013, 01:34 PM
Also, make sure you sign up for box.net. LG Nexus 4 owners get a free 50GB account. Add this to DropBox and Google Drive and you've got yourself a cool 60GB in the cloud.

Secondly, check this out:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/251247-nexus-4-best-apps-22apr-camera-fv-5-shot-control.html

It's worth considering rooting and installing a custom rom/kernel. It's a LOT easier on these 2013 Android devices. Most of the steps are automated with a batch/terminal file and a better kernel gives you: Improved processor performance, better battery life, more stability.

Spend some time trying out widgets and see how you like your home screen to look. Also check out PIE and see if you can get used to not having the drag down notification center and three buttons at the bottom. I got used to PIE so I don't mind losing the static buttons in favor of more viewable screen area.

Also, for headsets, remember that most three button headsets don't work on the Nexus 4 so a headset with a mic and a pause/play button should be all you need. I would consider the Klipsch S4A's or even the JVC HXF101's.

A few app recommendations: Pulse, SwiftKey, The Weather Channel, My Class Schedule (If you're in school), Dropbox, Box.net, Apollo music player, Color Note, Juice Defender, Lightflow Lite (Let's you set up camera flash/LED blinks for SMS/Gmail notifications and more, it's REALLY cool), Power Toggles (control your wifi, 4g, bluetooth and brightness from a button based widget), Evernote (syncs between different devices).

Also upload your music to your Google Drive so you can access it with Play Music app. This will save you considerable space on your phone from music.

Thanks! Do you know if Apple EarPods work with the Nexus 4?

jrswizzle
Apr 23, 2013, 01:40 PM
Thanks! Do you know if Apple EarPods work with the Nexus 4?

They do.

Listening right now :D

The on-wire controls even work.

Question - while we're here:

Does anyone know of a way to import playlists from iTunes into Google Music? It doesn't sound like its possible but I figured I'd ask people more knowledgeable than myself.

johnjefferson
Apr 23, 2013, 02:13 PM
Ya - but then I have to funnel all my emails through my gmail account.....no thanks.

Would be nice if Google paid as much attention to their stock mail apps as they did their gmail one.

And why are there two? That irritates me to no end.....I have having multiple apps for the same thing.

iPhone works best with Apple services, Android works best with Google services. Not that complicated to figure out.

bmac4
Apr 23, 2013, 02:22 PM
They do.

Listening right now :D

The on-wire controls even work.

Question - while we're here:

Does anyone know of a way to import playlists from iTunes into Google Music? It doesn't sound like its possible but I figured I'd ask people more knowledgeable than myself.

It should sync those just like your music. Do none of your playlist show up in Google music?

jrswizzle
Apr 23, 2013, 02:23 PM
iPhone works best with Apple services, Android works best with Google services. Not that complicated to figure out.

Except that Apple has one stock email app that works well while Google, for whatever reason, gives you two. And the regular one sucks compared to the gmail one.

Why not simply offer a great stock email app? Has nothing to do with Google services/gmail use....

----------

It should sync those just like your music. Do none of your playlist show up in Google music?

Nope

bmac4
Apr 23, 2013, 02:24 PM

I think they have the default there for you to add exchange and any other email you have. I never really thought about it until you said something. I just use the gmail app and yahoo all for my email. I have a work email that is an exchange one, so I use the stock one for that. Kind of stupid I know, but it works for me.

tbayrgs
Apr 23, 2013, 02:24 PM

Where did he mention Apple in his inquiry? This has nothing to do with Apple. Jeez, troll much? And if you really want to that route--Apple's email client offers the exact same functionality regardless of your email service--they don't offer a special email client with better features that only works with iCloud accounts.

I completely agree regarding the email app though I do understand why Google may be doing this--probably to encourage use of their email service. Regardless, it's terribly irritating.

jrswizzle
Apr 23, 2013, 02:27 PM
Where did he mention Apple in his inquiry? This has nothing to do with Apple. Jeez, troll much. And if you really want to that route--Apple's email client offers the exact same functionality regardless of your email service--they don't offer a special email client with better features that only works with iCloud accounts.

I completely agree regarding the email app though I do understand why Google may be doing this--probably to encourage use of their email service. Regardless, it's terribly irritating.

Thank you - the funniest part is, I use gmail as well as iCloud. I have different email accounts for different things - my iCloud happens to be my main email address I use for family, friends and bills and such. My gmail account is kind of my "give out" account and my yahoo account is my gaming account.

I don't want to have two apps to check all of these - I also don't want to have to forward all these accounts to gmail as I keep them separate for a reason - generally, I'll know what type of email it is and if I need to delete or respond just be seeing which account it comes in under.

bmac4
Apr 23, 2013, 02:28 PM
Except that Apple has one stock email app that works well while Google, for whatever reason, gives you two. And the regular one sucks compared to the gmail one.

Why not simply offer a great stock email app? Has nothing to do with Google services/gmail use....

----------

Nope

I just swiped over to the playlist section on Google music and all my playlist are right there.

See this is what I see.

jrswizzle
Apr 23, 2013, 02:29 PM
I just swiped over to the playlist section on Google music and all my playlist are right there.

See this is what I see.

Ok, but how did you upload your music to Play Music? And where did you create the playlists in the first place?

EDIT: A quick google search yielded there is a setting within the music manager app I can switch to sync playlists as well. I'll have to try it out at home. Will let you know if it works!

Thanks for asking the question/saying something - I was reserved to the fact I'd have to re-make all my playlists. Now, maybe, I won't have to!

bmac4
Apr 23, 2013, 02:32 PM
Ok, but how did you upload your music to Play Music? And where did you create the playlists in the first place?

So do you not have any music in your play music app? Also I created all those playlist on my iPhone or in iTunes and it syncs through Google music.

jrswizzle
Apr 23, 2013, 02:34 PM
So do you not have any music in your play music app? Also I created all those playlist on my iPhone or in iTunes and it syncs through Google music.

See edited post - I have music on my Nexus in Play Music.....just no playlists. Must not have the setting checked. I'll look into it when I get home.

bmac4
Apr 23, 2013, 02:35 PM
See edited post - I have music on my Nexus in Play Music.....just no playlists. Must not have the setting checked. I'll look into it when I get home.

Yea mine worked perfect should work for you let me know if it does not.

bmac4
Apr 23, 2013, 02:47 PM

So being that you are heavy invested in Apple as well as your family it might be kind of hard at first, but nothing major. Thing to remember is no matter how much different it seems at first just give it time. Don't give up after a few things don't work the way you thought or are use to. If you have problems just post us a question we are glad to help. We all have been in the same place you are at some point. The one major thing that might take some getting use to is the keyboard. Coming from the iOS keyboard the android one is much different, but I think it offers a little more. Again don't be afraid to ask question.

I think it is a really good idea to just download the apps as you need them. That is how I have always done it. Sometimes you will find you never needed them, or you find something you like better. There is one app that I don't like as much on android and that is Tapatalk. For some reason on the android one they don't have push notifications. I am not sure if you use the app, but that is what I am using to type this message.

If I could compare the switch to anything. For me it was like going from a Windows computer to a Mac. In that you can do all the same things the old device does just in a much different way.

nfl46
Apr 23, 2013, 02:59 PM
Good luck. I currently switch between an iPhone 5 and Nexus 4.

For your e-mail, I use MailDroid. It is a lot better than the stock e-mail client on the Nexus. I hope you enjoy it!

slu
Apr 23, 2013, 03:27 PM

EDIT: A quick google search yielded there is a setting within the music manager app I can switch to sync playlists as well. I'll have to try it out at home. Will let you know if it works!

Thanks for asking the question/saying something - I was reserved to the fact I'd have to re-make all my playlists. Now, maybe, I won't have to!

I don't think it syncs smart playlist though. Mine don't sync anyway.

jrswizzle
Apr 23, 2013, 03:30 PM

That makes sense - I don't use smart playlists anyway. At least, not that I care to transfer over. Mainly concerned with transferring my 400+ song "Favorites" playlist....

bmac4
Apr 23, 2013, 03:31 PM

I am pretty sure it syncs those too.

slu
Apr 23, 2013, 05:45 PM
I am pretty sure it syncs those too.

Nice. I may have a setting wrong as well. I'll check it out on my Mac and update the thread later.

bmac4
Apr 23, 2013, 05:56 PM
Nice. I may have a setting wrong as well. I'll check it out on my Mac and update the thread later.

Alright cool let me know if you need anything else.

sleepydinosaur
Apr 23, 2013, 06:34 PM
awesome thread!

This is where I am too....wanting to try something different but having an all Apple household. How about controlling the AppleTV? The battery in my remote is out and so I have been using the remote app instead.

So with what was said about itunes sync....can you still purchase from you randroid phone from itunes? Is there a way to still use Match?

slu
Apr 23, 2013, 06:51 PM
So the daughter is now asleep and I just cracked open my Nexus 4.

Initial impressions:

Packaging reminded me of iPhone packaging, which is not a bad thing. While I have not ever bought another smartphone so I don't know if they all come like this these days, but this was certainly on equal footing with Apple.

Only the basics are included, but that is fine with me. I didn't need headphones, so I am glad they didn't include them so it keeps the cost down a few bucks. The charger also is very Apple-like, albeit a bit larger. I still am thinking of getting a wireless charger, so I am not sure the slightly larger charger will matter to me all that much.

I am impressed with the build quality. The phone feels very solid in my hand. It seems to be the same thickness as my iPhone 4, but also slightly lighter. Just from holding it, I don't think I will have any issues with one hand operation due to screen size. I think I am going to prefer the placement of the power button since I usually use my phone with my left hand. The phone all looks "prettier" (for lack of a better word) in person. I had seem many pictures online, but the real thing is more impressive. But that can happen with a lot of electronics.

Now, to turn it on and set it up! Will report back later.

----------

awesome thread!

This is where I am too....wanting to try something different but having an all Apple household. How about controlling the AppleTV? The battery in my remote is out and so I have been using the remote app instead.

So with what was said about itunes sync....can you still purchase from you randroid phone from itunes? Is there a way to still use Match?

Don't yet know about the AppleTV remote, but I will check out the Play store and see what they have.

I think you can purchase from the Google Play store and have it automatically sync to your iTunes. This is something I will also check into.

You cannot use iTunes Match, the Google Music does the same things as Match for free. I already use it on my iPhone with a 3rd Party App.

----------

Alright cool let me know if you need anything else.

Weird - it does not upload my Smart Playlists and I can find no related setting on Music Manager on my Mac to sync them. I checked the Play Web Interface and they weren't there either. Odd. I may have to look into this more.

sleepydinosaur
Apr 23, 2013, 06:56 PM
[/COLOR]

I think you can purchase from the Google Play store and have it automatically sync to your iTunes. This is something I will also check into.

You cannot use iTunes Match, the Google Music does the same things as Match for free. I already use it on my iPhone with a 3rd Party App.

----------

OK so then I'd have to either buy from home on a Mac or from the Google music store....hmmmmm.

Stooby Mcdoobie
Apr 23, 2013, 07:27 PM
I still am thinking of getting a wireless charger, so I am not sure the slightly larger charger will matter to me all that much.

I'd recommend something like this (http://www.amazon.com/VicTsing-Charging-Cradle-Google-Nexus/dp/B00B8P67OE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366762892&sr=8-1&keywords=Nexus+4+dock) over the wireless charger. You get a similar docking solution, at a quarter of the price. The inductive charger is supposed to do a full charge (0-100%) faster, but I didn't notice much of a difference in charging time when I borrowed my friend's.

slu
Apr 23, 2013, 07:39 PM
1. I like the little vibration it does when you turn it on.

2. Setup was very quick and easy. Again, reminds me of setting up a new iPhone. Just input my Google Account info, answer a couple of questions, and done!

3. My cell signal doesn't seem as good in the same place. This obviously could change as I move around the house.

4. Not being able to add non-Google accounts to the Gmail app kinda stinks. I will check out some of the suggestions for a third party client.

5. Took me a minute to find the APN Settings. Once I did though, setting up for ST was easy.

Next post will be from the Nexus!

bmac4
Apr 23, 2013, 07:45 PM
So the daughter is now asleep and I just cracked open my Nexus 4.

Initial impressions:

Packaging reminded me of iPhone packaging, which is not a bad thing. While I have not ever bought another smartphone so I don't know if they all come like this these days, but this was certainly on equal footing with Apple.

Only the basics are included, but that is fine with me. I didn't need headphones, so I am glad they didn't include them so it keeps the cost down a few bucks. The charger also is very Apple-like, albeit a bit larger. I still am thinking of getting a wireless charger, so I am not sure the slightly larger charger will matter to me all that much.

I am impressed with the build quality. The phone feels very solid in my hand. It seems to be the same thickness as my iPhone 4, but also slightly lighter. Just from holding it, I don't think I will have any issues with one hand operation due to screen size. I think I am going to prefer the placement of the power button since I usually use my phone with my left hand. The phone all looks "prettier" (for lack of a better word) in person. I had seem many pictures online, but the real thing is more impressive. But that can happen with a lot of electronics.

Now, to turn it on and set it up! Will report back later.

----------

Don't yet know about the AppleTV remote, but I will check out the Play store and see what they have.

----------

Weird - it does not upload my Smart Playlists and I can find no related setting on Music Manager on my Mac to sync them. I checked the Play Web Interface and they weren't there either. Odd. I may have to look into this more.

Yea let me check into see what can find. Also thanks for adding a legitimate thread that is for help, and letting us know how you feel. It seems half are here just to argue which is better. Don't get me wrong I can argue with the best of them.

slu
Apr 23, 2013, 07:49 PM
OK so then I'd have to either buy from home on a Mac or from the Google music store....hmmmmm.

No - I think you can buy from the Play store on Android and have it import to iTunes on the Mac.

bmac4
Apr 23, 2013, 07:55 PM
No - I think you can buy from the Play store on Android and have it import to iTunes on the Mac.

You are right. Also I am in the process of checking into the smart playlist. I wish I knew more I just don't use them.

slu
Apr 23, 2013, 08:29 PM
Some more thoughts, posted from the phone:

The phone is much faster than the iPhone 4, but that is to be expected given this is a more modern phone.

The keyboard is neat. It will take some getting used to, but the gesture typing works pretty well.

Due to the larger size, my hand is getting a bit sore. This is something else to get used to though.

Not a big fan of the stock messaging app so far. Seems to take too many clicks to do things. Will be looking at alternatives.

I'd say the comparison to changing from Windows to Mac made earlier is a pretty good analogy for my experience thus far.

jamojamo
Apr 23, 2013, 08:45 PM
This is the way I got my playlists up to Google from iTunes.

Click on Music Manager on computer (looks like headphones in top bar on computer)
Click on Preferences
On the Upload page, select the radio button for "by Playlist" and your playlists will appear.
Select the playlists and voila, songs and playlists uploaded.

Not sure if that will work after the initial uploads but I don't see why it wouldn't. If I add songs to playlists when I buy them new Google sees them and updates the Google Music/Play playlists

Hope that helps.

slu
Apr 23, 2013, 10:41 PM
Cannot control an AppleTV from Android without having a jail broken AppleTV.

I got photo syncing with iPhoto working via Drop box and Automator, but might try a different solution from Doubletwist called Airsync. I'll post more details tomorrow.

Switchback666
Apr 24, 2013, 01:19 AM
imo the best android phone you can buy and best bang for the buck.

Dr McKay
Apr 24, 2013, 04:14 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into them all. Especially the iCloud sync stuff.

Watch out for friends still texting you from their iPhones, it'll go through as an iMessage to your iPad and you'll never see it on your Nexus 4.

mattopotamus
Apr 24, 2013, 07:05 AM
awesome thread!

unfortunately, there is no way to control appletv using anything other than an apple product (unless you have a second gen jailbroken ATV) If you use apple tv or airports, you need to keep either an ipad or ipod touch

bmac4
Apr 24, 2013, 07:43 AM
unfortunately, there is no way to control appletv using anything other than an apple product (unless you have a second gen jailbroken ATV) If you use apple tv or airports, you need to keep either an ipad or ipod touch

This is the a problem I have with Apple. They never allow their stuff to work on anything else but Apple products. Google allows all their services on iOS, and windows. If their stuff is good why don't they share it instead of keep it locked to their products? If sure would make things a lot easier.

Paradoxally
Apr 24, 2013, 08:07 AM
Glad to see someone here share their experience with the N4. It's an amazing phone, no doubt, and my selection when I decided to move to Android last month.

However, I have since switched back. It's not an issue of insane frustration, or 'oh wow I can't use this, hate it', not at all. It's those minor things.

I have been an Apple user since Xmas 2010, when I got my 4th gen iPod touch (never had an iPhone). I used it extensively over 2 years. Now, the battery sucks, it's slow as hell, and lags everywhere. Capacity at 8 GB didn't help either. As my phone, I was using a very old Sony Ericsson k800i (from 2007, I think). So basically, I was carrying two devices.

So I decide to go Android, seeing as I had the iPod for music and I could use the Nexus for everything else (music on Android is just.....no. I hate every music app there is, too complicated - and most are really ugly).

The Nexus was a breath of fresh air. It's very fast, things load really quick, and the extra RAM really makes up for it. So I started looking for alternatives of things I used to use everyday on my iPod - Tweetbot, Air Video, Sleep Cycle, Flipboard, etc...I found most of them, and was satisfied.

The customization on Android was a big plus. I love how you can change everything about your phone easily, you can really make it yours.

But then came the annoyances. Such as:

1- Email is TERRIBLE on Android (at least using Gmail's official app and some others). You can't zoom out (why!!!), it doesn't show pictures automatically (which it should, but you can fix that), iCloud email integration takes extra steps, it doesn't scale images......just no.

On iOS, I've been using the default mail app for YEARS. It works perfectly. I don't need Mailbox (amazing app, though and iOS exclusive!). I just need iCloud and Gmail in the same app, scaled emails, images loading automatically, and zooming actually working. And the stock mail app does it all.

2. Notifications. I do not like the way Android does it. So I have to basically pull down the notification shade if I've using my phone (considering the details don't show up)? Just pop a notification like iOS does. If the phone is off, well that's a whole different story.

The light is great when I'm not around my phone (and something iPhones should have), but when I'm at my desk and it's there, I want it to tell me IMMEDIATELY what the notification is. Turn on my screen and show it. If I don't act on it, then activate the LED light. Android doesn't even turn on the screen, it just defaults to using the notification sound and light (if enabled). There should be a hybrid between them and they should work together.

3. Fluidness. I tried an iPhone 5 in the Apple Store and that thing was so much more fluid and responsive than my Nexus (even though Nexus does true multitasking) that I actually got one. The iPhone may have many flaws, but goddamn it, iOS is still lights years ahead in polish and fluidity. Nothing lags on an iPhone 5 (not that I know of). The Nexus? Not so much.

4. App quality and diversity. Android has a great marketplace, but most apps suck (same goes for iOS, though). However, try finding this on Android:

- Tweetbot
- Vine
- Haze
- Air Video
- Tons of games (like Infinity Blade 2)
- Camera+

etc....

The big guns are on par on both platforms, some apps are actually better on Android (like Any.DO), but most are behind in terms of UI quality and responsiveness (due to the OS and the way you can easily do animation on iOS). It's the little things, mostly.

5. Connectivity if you have iOS products (which you do). AirPlay is really great, but only works on iOS. iCloud is great, but where are Photo Streams on Android? Nowhere. iMessage? Nada. I have to go and download a cross-platform messenger just to be able to chat with people. It's just more steps to doing anything app related.

6. Games. Most are iOS exclusive, the ports on Android kinda perform worse than their iOS versions (with some exceptions, of course).

7. Music/iTunes. I'm a big music person. I love having my library on iTunes and wirelessly syncing (yes, it works most of the time!) to my iPhone without cables. Just select any song/album/playlist/artist/genre you want and sync. And the music app on iOS is simple and easy to use. Get Scroblr from Cydia (free) and it will even do live last.fm scrobbling (if you use that). Android lets you drag and drop.....but I hate that kind of way to put songs on your device, it's so 2002. I want a manager. And iTunes does this well.

Next, iTunes (the app on iOS). I like browsing new music, movies, tv shows, etc...even check new courses on iTunes U. Nothing like this on Android. Well, you have the Play Store, but finding music on there....wow, no thanks.

But Android/Nexus 4 does have great things:

1. Tasker. If you don't know about this app, Google it. It's basically the best app you will ever find for Android, so useful. Wish iOS had it.

2. Big(ger) screens (depends on the device, but yeah)

3. USB connectivity, drag and drop (nothing a jailbreak can't give you, but Android does this natively)

4. NFC for those who use it

5. Customization in every aspect

Fireblade
Apr 24, 2013, 08:10 AM

See this is what I see.

The notification you got while making the screenshot made me lol. :D

bmac4
Apr 24, 2013, 08:19 AM
The notification you got while making the screenshot made me lol. :D

Yea I notice that when I put the image up. I laughed as well.

----------

Glad to see someone here share their experience with the N4. It's an amazing phone, no doubt, and my selection when I decided to move to Android last month.

However, I have since switched back. It's not an issue of insane frustration, or 'oh wow I can't use this, hate it', not at all. It's those minor things.

I have been an Apple user since Xmas 2010, when I got my 4th gen iPod touch (never had an iPhone). I used it extensively over 2 years. Now, the battery sucks, it's slow as hell, and lags everywhere. Capacity at 8 GB didn't help either. As my phone, I was using a very old Sony Ericsson k800i (from 2007, I think). So basically, I was carrying two devices.

So I decide to go Android, seeing as I had the iPod for music and I could use the Nexus for everything else (music on Android is just.....no. I hate every music app there is, too complicated - and most are really ugly).

The Nexus was a breath of fresh air. It's very fast, things load really quick, and the extra RAM really makes up for it. So I started looking for alternatives of things I used to use everyday on my iPod - Tweetbot, Air Video, Sleep Cycle, Flipboard, etc...I found most of them, and was satisfied.

The customization on Android was a big plus. I love how you can change everything about your phone easily, you can really make it yours.

But then came the annoyances. Such as:

1- Email is TERRIBLE on Android (at least using Gmail's official app and some others). You can't zoom out (why!!!), it doesn't show pictures automatically (which it should, but you can fix that), iCloud email integration takes extra steps, it doesn't scale images......just no.

On iOS, I've been using the default mail app for YEARS. It works perfectly. I don't need Mailbox (amazing app, though and iOS exclusive!). I just need iCloud and Gmail in the same app, scaled emails, images loading automatically, and zooming actually working. And the stock mail app does it all.

2. Notifications. I do not like the way Android does it. So I have to basically pull down the notification shade if I've using my phone (considering the details don't show up)? Just pop a notification like iOS does. If the phone is off, well that's a whole different story.

The light is great when I'm not around my phone (and something iPhones should have), but when I'm at my desk and it's there, I want it to tell me IMMEDIATELY what the notification is. Turn on my screen and show it. If I don't act on it, then activate the LED light. Android doesn't even turn on the screen, it just defaults to using the notification sound and light (if enabled). There should be a hybrid between them and they should work together.

3. Fluidness. I tried an iPhone 5 in the Apple Store and that thing was so much more fluid and responsive than my Nexus (even though Nexus does true multitasking) that I actually got one. The iPhone may have many flaws, but goddamn it, iOS is still lights years ahead in polish and fluidity. Nothing lags on an iPhone 5 (not that I know of). The Nexus? Not so much.

4. App quality and diversity. Android has a great marketplace, but most apps suck (same goes for iOS, though). However, try finding this on Android:

- Tweetbot
- Vine
- Haze
- Air Video
- Tons of games (like Infinity Blade 2)
- Camera+

etc....

The big guns are on par on both platforms, some apps are actually better on Android (like Any.DO), but most are behind in terms of UI quality and responsiveness (due to the OS and the way you can easily do animation on iOS). It's the little things, mostly.

5. Connectivity if you have iOS products (which you do). AirPlay is really great, but only works on iOS. iCloud is great, but where are Photo Streams on Android? Nowhere. iMessage? Nada. I have to go and download a cross-platform messenger just to be able to chat with people. It's just more steps to doing anything app related.

6. Games. Most are iOS exclusive, the ports on Android kinda perform worse than their iOS versions (with some exceptions, of course).

7. Music/iTunes. I'm a big music person. I love having my library on iTunes and wirelessly syncing (yes, it works most of the time!) to my iPhone without cables. Just select any song/album/playlist/artist/genre you want and sync. And the music app on iOS is simple and easy to use. Get Scroblr from Cydia (free) and it will even do live last.fm scrobbling (if you use that). Android lets you drag and drop.....but I hate that kind of way to put songs on your device, it's so 2002. I want a manager. And iTunes does this well.

Next, iTunes (the app on iOS). I like browsing new music, movies, tv shows, etc...even check new courses on iTunes U. Nothing like this on Android. Well, you have the Play Store, but finding music on there....wow, no thanks.

But Android/Nexus 4 does have great things:

1. Tasker. If you don't know about this app, Google it. It's basically the best app you will ever find for Android, so useful. Wish iOS had it.

2. Big(ger) screens (depends on the device, but yeah)

3. USB connectivity, drag and drop (nothing a jailbreak can't give you, but Android does this natively)

4. NFC for those who use it

5. Customization in every aspect

So the Apple stuff not syncing well with your phone is not because Google does not want them to. It is on Apple. They don't want to allow their apps and features to be use on anything, but Apple products. I understand that it keeps people loyal, but come they could let things work cross platform. Google has no problem doing this. I just did not let myself get to invested in one or the other, so the transition is much easier. I never used my icloud email. I really had no idea people did. I don't know the small things that Apple does kind of bothers me.

mattopotamus
Apr 24, 2013, 08:40 AM
This is the a problem I have with Apple. They never allow their stuff to work on anything else but Apple products. Google allows all their services on iOS, and windows. If their stuff is good why don't they share it instead of keep it locked to their products? If sure would make things a lot easier.

I agree it is annoying, but makes sense from a business standpoint. Oddly enough the Hue lights, sold in apple stores, works with my nexus 4 and actually as unofficial apps that are better than the one phillips makes. For example, the 3rd party app I can set up so my lights turn on as soon as my phone connects to my wifi router....the official app has no such thing =/

bmac4
Apr 24, 2013, 08:43 AM
I agree it is annoying, but makes sense from a business standpoint. Oddly enough the Hue lights, sold in apple stores, works with my nexus 4 and actually as unofficial apps that are better than the one phillips makes. For example, the 3rd party app I can set up so my lights turn on as soon as my phone connects to my wifi router....the official app has no such thing =/

Yea I get it they want to keep customers so they get them hook and deeply invested into Apple, and transitioning can be too much to ask. Like I said I try not to get too invested any one ecosystem cause it makes switching way easier.

The13thDoctor
Apr 24, 2013, 09:01 AM

i dunno if its just me, but the wireless station is kinda of a waste of money. It takes really long to charge up and for some reason its kinda slippery. Its not like super, super slippery but i had it slide down a inch or two when i leave it overnight

mattopotamus
Apr 24, 2013, 09:40 AM

i dunno if its just me, but the wireless station is kinda of a waste of money. It takes really long to charge up and for some reason its kinda slippery. Its not like super, super slippery but i had it slide down a inch or two when i leave it overnight

On the flip side, I love the wireless charger. The time it takes is no big deal b.c I charge the phone at night. About the slipping, the first nexus 4 I had, had weak magnets inside the phone (there are magnets to make the phone stick to the charger) so it slipped off the charger. They sent me a new phone and the issue was gone. I did a lot of forum searching b.c people thought it was their charger, but it was in fact the phone.

slu
Apr 24, 2013, 10:57 AM
Watch out for friends still texting you from their iPhones, it'll go through as an iMessage to your iPad and you'll never see it on your Nexus 4.

Funny you say this as this happened to me almost immediately after I switched my Sim card. I'll have to keep an eye on that going forward.

bmac4
Apr 24, 2013, 11:00 AM
Funny you say this as this happened to me almost immediately after I switched my Sim card. I'll have to keep an eye on that going forward.

When I switched I had to restore my setting on both my iPhone and iPad to get it to work.

torana355
Apr 24, 2013, 11:05 AM

How is Falcon Pro?? Ive been using Plume but i have heard good things about Falcon pro.

EDIT: I just downloaded Falcon Pro and i have already uninstalled Plume lol!!! Finally a good Android equivalent of Tweetbot.

sentinelsx
Apr 24, 2013, 11:39 AM
Load Paranoid Android 3+ ROM on it. The developer has done an amazing job. It has taken the top spot from AOKP when it comes to the ROMs i would want to flash on my android phone.

jrswizzle
Apr 24, 2013, 12:40 PM
When I switched I had to restore my setting on both my iPhone and iPad to get it to work.

By the way - got my playlists on there. I guess I set it up differently at first.

Thanks for the tip!

----------

How is Falcon Pro?? Ive been using Plume but i have heard good things about Falcon pro.

EDIT: I just downloaded Falcon Pro and i have already uninstalled Plume lol!!! Finally a good Android equivalent of Tweetbot.

Ya I think its great - have never used anything but the regular twitter app on my iPhone, but was recommended Falcon Pro and I like the UI. The widget is very robust as well.

torana355
Apr 24, 2013, 12:54 PM
Ya I think its great - have never used anything but the regular twitter app on my iPhone, but was recommended Falcon Pro and I like the UI. The widget is very robust as well.
Yeah Tweetbot on iOS is amazing!!! A good twitter client was the only thing i was really missing on Android and i think Falcon Pro has filled that void :D

Tinmania
Apr 24, 2013, 12:55 PM
This is the way I got my playlists up to Google from iTunes.

Click on Music Manager on computer (looks like headphones in top bar on computer)
Click on Preferences
On the Upload page, select the radio button for "by Playlist" and your playlists will appear.
Select the playlists and voila, songs and playlists uploaded.

Not sure if that will work after the initial uploads but I don't see why it wouldn't. If I add songs to playlists when I buy them new Google sees them and updates the Google Music/Play playlists

Hope that helps.

I don't have that selected and have all my playlists available in google music everywhere--all from my iTunes library. I'm pretty sure the purpose of that option is if you want to limit your uploads to certain playlists. If you don't choose that it will do them all.

Michael

bmac4
Apr 24, 2013, 01:16 PM
By the way - got my playlists on there. I guess I set it up differently at first.

Thanks for the tip!

----------

Sure no problem glad I could help

slu
Apr 24, 2013, 01:22 PM
So I just typed a big response that got lost by my stupid work computer with IE, so I will try again.

Some further observations after using the phone last night and this morning, in no particluar order:

1. Lack of a hardware mute switch is a minor annoyance.

2. As was stated previously in the thread, the email experience is far superior on iOS. Having to pan and scan as many emails as I have had to thus far is frankly unacceptable. The fact that there is no image scaling is unaccpetable. There must be a third party alternative, but I have yet to find one.

3. Clock app destroys iOS clock app. Having separate alarm volume is wonderful. Having the phone vibrate on everything but alarm is also great. Being able to customize the snooze time is also great.

4. Having the speaker on the back of the phone is very, very dumb.

5. Chrome is not great. Tap to zoom doesn't work as well as on iOS and new pages sometimes seem to load already zoomed in. I want the full page to load and I'll decide what to zoom in on. It takes one too many clicks to get to bookmarks, but this is a problem with Chrome on iOS as well. I will be looking into 3rd party browsers. Any suggestions?

6. Phone speed and display are still impressive. HSPA+ on this phone is a big upgrade from regular 3G on my iPhone 4.

7. I have only downloaded a few apps thus far and while I was able to get Andriod versions of all my major apps so far, app quality is worse than iOS. Graphics on some apps can be "fuzzy", UIs are inconsistent, some apps just have issues (i.e. the Speetest.net app always thinks I am Indiana for some reason), but to be honest I expected this. While this has been annoying, I wouldn't call it a major issue yet.

8. I have tried several widgets. A couple are useful, but they largely seem like a neat gimmick only.

9. Voice Search/Google Now work great.

10. Google Voice App and Google Voice Integration is better, as expected.

11. Not being able to tap to scroll to the top of a webpage or app is a major annoyance. And from my research, this is just something I have to live with.

12. I don't get the camera hate. Seems fine to me. Stock editing options are limited, but they are on iOS as well. I used Snapseed on iOS and am planning to try it on Android.

13. Still dislike the stock messaging app.

13. Notifcations are different, but I wouldn't say worse. I do wish I could control notifcation settings for apps in a central place like I can in iOS though.

14. Editing contacts is a mess. Two clicks to get to edit mode from the contact? Then if they don't have a phone number and only an email address, I have to scroll down and select "Add another field", then pick the field, then add the data? Crazy.

14. I have just scratched the surface on UI customization, so not much to comment on there.

Basically, I am doing OK so far. The email thing is really my main problem, and it is unbelievable this is considered acceptable. But all the other things combined do worry me. Not totally sure yet if Android is right for me.

bmac4
Apr 24, 2013, 01:28 PM
So I just typed a big response that got lost by my stupid work computer with IE, so I will try again.

Some further observations after using the phone last night and this morning, in no particluar order:

2. As was stated previously in the thread, the email experience is far superior on iOS. Having to pan and scan as many emails as I have had to thus far is frankly unacceptable. The fact that there is no image scaling is unaccpetable. There must be a third party alternative, but I have yet to find one.

3. Clock app destroys iOS clock app. Having separate alarm volume is wonderful. Having the phone vibrate on everything but alarm is also great. Being able to customize the snooze time is also great.

5. Chrome is not great. Tap to zoom doesn't work as well as on iOS and new pages sometimes seem to load already zoomed in. I want the full page to load and I'll decide what to zoom in on. It takes one too many clicks to get to bookmarks, but this is a problem with Chrome on iOS as well. I will be looking into 3rd party browsers. Any suggestions?

6. Phone speed and display are still impressive. HSPA+ on this phone is a big upgrade from regular 3G on my iPhone 4.

7. I have only downloaded a few apps thus far and while I was able to get Andriod versions of all my major apps so far, app quality is worse than iOS. Graphics on some apps can be "fuzzy", UIs are inconsistent, some apps just have issues (i.e. the Speetest.net app always thinks I am Indiana for some reason), but to be honest I expected this. While this has been annoying, I wouldn't call it a major issue yet.

8. I have tried several widgets. A couple are useful, but they largely seem like a neat gimmick only.

11. Not being able to tap to scroll to the top of a webpage or app is a major annoyance. And from my research, this is just something I have to live with.

12. I don't get the camera hate. Seems fine to me. Stock editing options are limited, but they are on iOS as well. I used Snapseed on iOS and am planning to try it on Android.

13. Notifcations are different, but I wouldn't say worse. I do wish I could control notifcation settings for apps in a central place like I can in iOS though.

14. Editing contacts is a mess. Two clicks to get to edit mode from the contact? Then if they don't have a phone number and only an email address, I have to scroll down and select "Add another field", then pick the field, then add the data? Crazy.

14. I have just scratched the surface on UI customization, so not much to comment on there.

Basically, I am doing OK so far. The email thing is really my main problem, and it is unbelievable this is considered acceptable. But all the other things combined do worry me. Not totally sure yet if Android is right for me.

The email thing. Are you using the gmail app or the stock email app?

It is funny some of the things you bring up that I never think of or use or for that matter care about. The touching at the top of the browser to go to the top was nice, but I got over that real quick. I think the longer you are with iOS or android the harder it gets to adjust to the other. When I had been on android for about 2 years and decided to try the iPhone 5. Man I thought a lot was dumb that iOS did, but after user it it just became normal. Just give it some time and you may start to like things better, but if you don't then iOS is the OS for you.

slu
Apr 24, 2013, 01:33 PM
The email thing. Are you using the gmail app or the stock email app?

Gmail. I have had several messages, most with images, that I have to pan and scan.

EDIT: In the Gmail app, there is "Auto-fit messages" option that I had not selected and it now works as I expected. Huge improvement for me.

bmac4
Apr 24, 2013, 01:37 PM
Gmail. I have had several messages, most with images, that I have to pan and scan.

I think you might be able to fix that with the stock email app, but I am not sure because I use the gmail app. Sorry I wish I knew more about it. I think jrswizzle knows a bit more about the stock email app.

Also I edited my previous post. Just a little encouragement to stick with it. If it does not work then at least you tried.

jrswizzle
Apr 24, 2013, 01:39 PM
I think you might be able to fix that with the stock email app, but I am not sure because I use the gmail app. Sorry I wish I knew more about it. I think jrswizzle knows a bit more about the stock email app.

Also I edited my previous post. Just a little encouragement to stick with it. If it does not work then at least you tried.

The stock email app gives you a zoomed in look as well. I don't use the stock one anymore - K9 is my preference.

As far as I know, all the email clients on Android won't allow you to zoom all the way out to see the whole email....really quite annoying.

bmac4
Apr 24, 2013, 01:42 PM
The stock email app gives you a zoomed in look as well. I don't use the stock one anymore - K9 is my preference.

As far as I know, all the email clients on Android won't allow you to zoom all the way out to see the whole email....really quite annoying.

How does iOS handle that I can't remember? Emails just are not a big deal to me cause I don't have that many.

slu
Apr 24, 2013, 01:44 PM
Just found a setting the Gmail app called "Auto-fit messages" that was not selected! I am checking that to see if it helps. This would be a big win for me.

And I am certainly going to keep sticking with it. Mainly because of the speed and freedom of platform.

Thanks again for all you comments.

EDIT: This solved my problem, at least in the Gmail App! Woo Hoo!!

Tinmania
Apr 24, 2013, 01:51 PM

Settings->General settings, uncheck auto-fit messages. Done.

Edit: See you found it.

Michael

mattopotamus
Apr 24, 2013, 02:00 PM

I miss tap to top, but a small fast flick actually scrolls really fast on android, so it makes up for it. I agree with most of the things you said. A lot of the contact editing or copy/paste feels like a chore on android still. IOS really has phenomenal editing tools for text. I don't have a problem with the camera quality, just the shutter speed and if someone is moving it is really bad.

My biggest complaint is toggling bluetooth off within certain apps. It is not an option as far as I can tell. For example, with maps on IOS I use to click the little bluetooth icon in the bottom right and change it to my phone speakers when driving. I would still be connected to my cars bluetooth just changed the sound source. I can do this with phone calls, but not the map app on android. I have to actually disconnect from bluetooth to change the sound source within the maps app. I hope that makes sense.

if this phone was connected to bluetooth, the bluetooth icon would be in the bottom right to change audio sources.
http://diginsider.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/apple-maps.jpg?w=300&h=272

bmac4
Apr 24, 2013, 02:06 PM
Settings->General settings, uncheck auto-fit messages. Done.

Edit: See you found it.

Michael

Dude that is awesome thanks.

tallchris
Apr 24, 2013, 03:14 PM
Glad I found this thread, as I was literally debating whether to give the Nexus 4 a go. I currently have a iPhone 4. Can't really afford a iPhone 5 so was tempted by the Nexus.

My questions, for anyone kind enough to answer them.

1. Alot of talk about email. I have to use a windows live account, anyone have any experience using one with the Nexus.

2. I use 'contacts' to keep my contacts synced across alot devices (I've got an iMac and an air). Any idea how to keep these in-sync with an Android device?

jrswizzle
Apr 24, 2013, 03:28 PM
2. I use 'contacts' to keep my contacts synced across alot devices (I've got an iMac and an air). Any idea how to keep these in-sync with an Android device?

I use CardDav Sync - Nexus 4 is kept in sync with all my Apple devices (iMac, iP5, iPad mini).

It only cost a couple bucks.

bmac4
Apr 24, 2013, 03:56 PM
I use CardDav Sync - Nexus 4 is kept in sync with all my Apple devices (iMac, iP5, iPad mini).

It only cost a couple bucks.

Does it drain your battery faster to have your exchange email synced to the stock email app? On my nexus s it seemed to just a bit. On my galaxy nexus not so much.

Paradoxally
Apr 24, 2013, 04:17 PM
As for Android, you can fix annoyance 13. by installing Light Flow. It's a marvelous app that allows you to customize practically notifications for every app you have (the most common and more are supported). Sounds, vibration, LED light, etc...you can also turn those notifications off.

It's annoying that you need a 3rd party app to do some stuff you can do on iOS, but still...it's Android. iOS only annoys me with the toggle stuff, which can be fixed easily (NCSettings).

bmac4
Apr 24, 2013, 04:25 PM
As for Android, you can fix annoyance 13. by installing Light Flow. It's a marvelous app that allows you to customize practically notifications for every app you have (the most common and more are supported). Sounds, vibration, LED light, etc...you can also turn those notifications off.

It's annoying that you need a 3rd party app to do some stuff you can do on iOS, but still...it's Android. iOS only annoys me with the toggle stuff, which can be fixed easily (NCSettings).

You have to jailbreak to do that.

Tinmania
Apr 24, 2013, 04:25 PM
1. Alot of talk about email. I have to use a windows live account, anyone have any experience using one with the Nexus.

There is actually a (new?) Microsoft Outlook.com app as well as an older Hotmail app. Have not used either but am going to try now. At first glance seems the latter is better but I would imagine that is because the former has only been out for a week.

Michael

Bacong
Apr 24, 2013, 04:43 PM
if you're still looking for a new SMS app, get GO SMS. Best android texting app. Also swiftkey is the best keyboard.

torana355
Apr 24, 2013, 07:38 PM

The stock email app is crap, go and download Kaiten and thank me after :)

----------

I use Xscope personally but Dolphin browser is also good.

----------

That's weird, all the apps ive downloaded that i have on both iOS and Android and very similar in quality. For example the F1 live timing app is actually nicer on Android, same with Tune in Radio.

----------

Me and all my mates use Whatsapp, i haven't used a native messaging app on iPhone or Android for a few years now. What is the issue with the stock app as i have not really used it?

----------

I agree about having a central place to setup notifications but i use lightflow which does that anyway, it is a third party app. On a side note download "notifications widget" if you want your notifications on the lockscreen or one of your homescreens.

I guess the general theme is there is always a third party app that can solve your issues on Android, its just finding out which ones are the best. iOS is great at giving you most functions out of the box without any extra apps but beyond that Android is superior imo.

Paradoxally
Apr 24, 2013, 09:13 PM
You have to jailbreak to do that.

Jailbreak, or root?

If it's jailbreak, then yes, but I can't use an iPhone if it's not jailbroken. And in a way, an Androids needs to be rooted to really get maximum usage out of it, like Tasker.

bmac4
Apr 24, 2013, 09:18 PM
Jailbreak, or root?

What you suggested was jailbreaking. We are trying to help slu without rooting. The toggles can just being downloaded from the play store for his nexus 4. IPhone you need to jailbreak

----------

If it's jailbreak, then yes, but I can't use an iPhone if it's not jailbroken. And in a way, an Androids needs to be rooted to really get maximum usage out of it, like Tasker.

That is not true at all. I use my nexus 4 just fine without rooting. I have never rooting any of my android devices.

Paradoxally
Apr 24, 2013, 09:21 PM
What you suggested was jailbreaking. We are trying to help slu without rooting. The toggles can just being downloaded from the play store for his nexus 4. IPhone you need to jailbreak

True, but for example, if you want to do amazing things with an Android you need to root it (or should anyway, it's easy).

----------

----------

That is not true at all. I use my nexus 4 just fine without rooting. I have never rooting any of my android devices.

So you don't run a custom ROM or kernel? I hated stock Android, even on a Nexus. Battery life is atrocious and the screen calibration sucked.

bmac4
Apr 24, 2013, 09:21 PM
True, but for example, if you want to do amazing things with an Android you need to root it (or should anyway, it's easy).

----------

So you don't run a custom ROM or kernel? I hated stock Android, even on a Nexus. Battery life is atrocious and the screen calibration sucked.

OK but I am not sure slu is wanting to get into that right now.

blackhand1001
Apr 24, 2013, 09:26 PM
1. I like the little vibration it does when you turn it on.

2. Setup was very quick and easy. Again, reminds me of setting up a new iPhone. Just input my Google Account info, answer a couple of questions, and done!

3. My cell signal doesn't seem as good in the same place. This obviously could change as I move around the house.

4. Not being able to add non-Google accounts to the Gmail app kinda stinks. I will check out some of the suggestions for a third party client.

5. Took me a minute to find the APN Settings. Once I did though, setting up for ST was easy.

Next post will be from the Nexus!

Use the built in email app for email. I don't have any issues with the built in email.

slu
Apr 24, 2013, 09:46 PM
The stock email app is crap, go and download Kaiten and thank me after :)

----------

I use Xscope personally but Dolphin browser is also good.

----------

That's weird, all the apps ive downloaded that i have on both iOS and Android and very similar in quality. For example the F1 live timing app is actually nicer on Android, same with Tune in Radio.

----------

Me and all my mates use Whatsapp, i haven't used a native messaging app on iPhone or Android for a few years now. What is the issue with the stock app as i have not really used it?

----------

I agree about having a central place to setup notifications but i use lightflow which does that anyway, it is a third party app. On a side note download "notifications widget" if you want your notifications on the lockscreen or one of your homescreens.

I guess the general theme is there is always a third party app that can solve your issues on Android, its just finding out which ones are the best. iOS is great at giving you most functions out of the box without any extra apps but beyond that Android is superior imo.

Thanks for this post. Looking into these now. I would like notifications on the lock screen, so going to try that first.

----------

OK but I am not sure slu is wanting to get into that right now.

Correct. Haven't ruled out rooting down the line, but I want to use stock for a while to find what I am missing first.

slu
Apr 24, 2013, 10:04 PM
So I have the photo syncing from the Nexus 4 to iPhoto working fine with dropbox, but anyone use a good method to sync photos from iPhoto TO the Nexus 4? I liked having my last month of pictures stored on my phone so I could share pics of my daughter easily. I suppose I could not delete them from dropbox via my automator script and just use that, but I don't have much space on dropbox and don't really want to pay for 100GB as I will never utilize that much space. I'd like 20-30.

tbayrgs
Apr 24, 2013, 10:52 PM
That's weird, all the apps ive downloaded that i have on both iOS and Android and very similar in quality. For example the F1 live timing app is actually nicer on Android, same with Tune in Radio

Disagree--many of the Android counterparts I've tried are subpar compared to their iOS counterparts and I personally think TuneIn is a perfect example. On the iOS version, it caches the audio so that I can pause/rewind/fast forward a live stream, basically like a DVR, yet this feature is absent in the Android version--it's either play or stop.

supahsain
Apr 24, 2013, 10:58 PM
Perhaps upload your photos to Picasa then you will be able to view your photos in "gallery"

----------

Disagree--many of the Android counterparts I've tried are subpar compared to their iOS counterparts and I personally think TuneIn is a perfect example. On the iOS version, it caches the audio so that I can pause/rewind/fast forward a live stream, basically like a DVR, yet this feature is absent in the Android version--it's either play or stop.
No you can pause forward reverse in android too.

torana355
Apr 25, 2013, 12:09 AM

Im sorry but you could not be more wrong, Tune in radio on android does buffer and i can do rewind, fastforward and pause just like the iOS version. If you look in the settings you can even adjust the buffer time just like the iOS version. Next.

slu
Apr 25, 2013, 12:39 AM
Perhaps upload your photos to Picasa then you will be able to view your photos in "gallery"

----------

Not a bad idea. I turned on the Google Plus uploads. This is good enough for mobile, I think.

Also are you sure it isn't just the paid version of Tunein with the pause and rewind on Android? I use the free version and I don't have them either. They are in the free iOS version though.

torana355
Apr 25, 2013, 12:42 AM
Also are you sure it isn't just the paid version of Tunein with the pause and rewind on Android? I use the free version and I don't have them either. They are in the free iOS version though.

You may be right as i always get the paid version of Tune in Radio as its such a great app.

Edit: I just downloaded the free version and there is no jogging controls, its defiantly there in the paid version :)

tbayrgs
Apr 25, 2013, 01:16 AM

----------

Im sorry but you could not be more wrong, Tune in radio on android does buffer and i can do rewind, fastforward and pause just like the iOS version. If you look in the settings you can even adjust the buffer time just like the iOS version. Next.

This is what TuneIn looks like streaming on my HTC One (screenshot on the right). The same feed on my iP5 has controls allowing rewind/pause/forward, but none on the Android app.

tbayrgs
Apr 25, 2013, 01:30 AM
You may be right as i always get the paid version of Tune in Radio as its such a great app.

Edit: I just downloaded the free version and there is no jogging controls, its defiantly there in the paid version :)

Sorry, didn't read all the way down the thread to see you guys has already figured out the difference. But this does illustrate the difference--same app on iOS (free version) is more full featured. Same situation in the app specifically for this sports talk radio feed (ESPN Radio)--iOS version has an hour of buffering that allows rewind/pause/skip while the Android version doesn't have this functionality, and both apps are free.

bmac4
Apr 25, 2013, 04:11 PM
Slu maybe this post could help you out maybe not, but I will give my thoughts. So I think we as smartphone user fight tooth and nail to defend the OS that we choose for many reasons, but we also over look things because we don't want to see negatives. I for one will start by saying I have over looked disadvantages in android many times because I don't see them as disadvantages any more. I have argued for a long time that app quality is about the same on ios and android. Now this is becoming more true over the years, but is still not completely true. Of course there are apps that are completely the same, but other are not and ios has better versions of those apps. I think this is true because ios has only 3 devices and 3 screen sizes to worry about. On android developers have to worry about 100s of sizes, and different versions of android. It just takes more to make an app that works on android. I used ios for a long time, and would always get into arguments with my friend who use android that ios was better. I would always fight that ios was open enough and I could customize my iphone how I wanted it. It was not until I used android that I realize what I was missing in customization. The point I trying to make is we see what we want to see, but both ios and android have negatives is about whether you can still be happy with the OS beyond those things.

So I thought I would go app by app for the ones that I use most, and describe the ios and android versions. I will give you my opinion on which one I like the best. I am going to be as honest as I can.

Facebook- I think we all know that app is just crap on both. The ios version seems to be just a bit better, but that is not saying much at all. Dont really use facebook as much as I did when I was in college, so not really that big of deal to me any more.

Email- Now this is just my experience, but my main email is a gmail email. I find the gmail app to work better for me on android than the stock email app on ios. Now ios email app does a better job of putting all your emails in one place. After finding out about have the emails being able to fit on screen has help so much. Now I have a work email that is an exchange email, and to be honest I do not see the big difference in the two. Now this has come up on this thread several times that the android one is crap, but I just don't use is enough to see it.

Messaging app- I like the stock android app is better than any of the messaging apps on the play store, but I think the ios messaging app wins here. Now maybe after Babel is released it will be a different story, but the imessage and sms being put together is great. This is one of the things I miss about ios.

Music player- ios hands down has a way better music app. This is my number one thing I miss. This was one of the reason I tried the iphone 5. Don't get me wrong the play music app is awesome because you can have all your itunes music in one place without paying anything, but UI wise ios has this one.

Youtube- well seeing as Google owns youtube the android version is way better. Now youtube for ios is updating all the time, so it is getting better still though not as good.

Camera app- well this one is not a hard one ios. Do I need say more?

Tapatalk- this one is my one of most used apps for me. I say they both leave a lot to be desired, but if I had to choose one I would say ios because it has push notifications. Again like facebook I don't find either to be great, and both have a lot of lag.

Maps- google maps to be is hands down the best. Well I should say google maps on android is better than Apple maps. The ios google maps is not that good. Apple maps for being just introduced is pretty good, and will get better, but Google maps I think is the best navigation experience you can get.

Checkbook app- Some people may never use this, but I use this anytime I buy something. I used an app called iReconcile on ios as a checkbook register. Man was that app great. Miss that a lot. After searching for months and months I found easymoney, and I have to say not to bad, but still not iReconcile.

IMDB- another app I use a ton. I have to say it really is just the same on both. It is a good app that works well on both, and there really is no difference.

Flixster- about the same on both. Can't really see any difference.

Twitter- I use the official Twitter app, so I can't speak for the Twitter clients people speak of. The twitter app seems just as good on both.

Browser- I was never a big fan of Safari, and I am still not sold on Chrome. I really liked the stock browser on the galaxy nexus and thought it took the cake. If I had to choose between Safari and Chrome I would go with Chrome. Safari to me just is not for me. It seems so outdated with have a search bar that is not in the url. What browser on any platform does not offer this? This is not to say Chrome is great it is just better than Safari.

At&t UVerse- this is much better on android, but still At&t what can I say the app is just not that good on either. Android seems to add a lot better UI than ios. Things just seem easier to navigate on the android app.

Weather channel- this use to be a toss up, but after the android one got updated a couple of months ago it went south. They add this very cartoonish UI that is a real turn off. I will take the ios version all day long. The only thing I like better about the android version is that I can put the temperature in the notification bar.

Siri or Google now- well I think this might come down to preference, but I will say Siri seems to do more, and google picks up voices better. Now seems to get things more accurate, but Siri just does more stuff. I will let you see for yourself and decide.

Calendar- I like stock android much better. The ios one just seems to me kind of a mess. I think the stock android one is much cleaner and easier to use. Android when looking at the month view seems to give way more information than ios.

Clock app- really like the design of the android one, but ios has the sleep timer built in that lets you sleep whatever music is playing at the time. I use this every night when I am in bed. I know you can download apps from the playstore that do the same thing, but that does not count in app to app comparison.

Pandora- This use to be a no question ios win, but now I think it is a toss up. They both seem to be just a like. Just from me looking at them right now design and polish goes to ios. Over all functionality goes to android. Seems to add more to the experience.

Speed test app- I use this a lot and find the ios after the new update much better. If they get around to updating the android one it will be a toss up again.

Amazon- I like the UI just a bit more on android. Pretty much the same on both.

I know this was long, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible and give you some insight after being a long time user of both. I choose android even after some of my most used apps are not quite as good. Still I just like the way android works better than ios. If you have any question or there are apps that I left out that you want to know about let me know. There are going to be many I have never used, and I will let you know if that is the case. I hope this helps some.

fredaroony
Apr 25, 2013, 04:22 PM
Thanks for this post. Looking into these now. I would like notifications on the lock screen, so going to try that first.

----------

Correct. Haven't ruled out rooting down the line, but I want to use stock for a while to find what I am missing first.

Have a look at DashClock

jrswizzle
Apr 25, 2013, 04:25 PM
Have a look at DashClock

Great app/widget - I second this.

Dontazemebro
Apr 25, 2013, 06:31 PM
Sorry, didn't read all the way down the thread to see you guys has already figured out the difference. But this does illustrate the difference--same app on iOS (free version) is more full featured. Same situation in the app specifically for this sports talk radio feed (ESPN Radio)--iOS version has an hour of buffering that allows rewind/pause/skip while the Android version doesn't have this functionality, and both apps are free.

I believe you're right, I just checked the pro version and it only has stop & pause.

torana355
Apr 25, 2013, 07:35 PM
Have a look at DashClock

The "notifications widget" app destroys Dashclock, i had dashclock too before i discovered NW. Notifications widget works for ALL notifications out of the box, no add-ons needed.;)

fredaroony
Apr 25, 2013, 11:30 PM
The "notifications widget" app destroys Dashclock, i had dashclock too before i discovered NW. Notifications widget works for ALL notifications out of the box, no add-ons needed.;)

This one? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lejzer.android.notifications&hl=en

Has 7 ratings and hasnt been updated for nearly two years

supahsain
Apr 25, 2013, 11:54 PM
This one? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lejzer.android.notifications&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roymam.android.notificationswidget

fredaroony
Apr 25, 2013, 11:55 PM
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roymam.android.notificationswidget

Looks interesting, might try it on my Nexus 4

torana355
Apr 25, 2013, 11:57 PM

No sorry this one

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roymam.android.notificationswidget&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5yb3ltYW0uYW5kcm9pZC5ub3RpZmljYXRpb25zd2lkZ2V0Il0.

viskon
Apr 26, 2013, 05:32 AM
I would recommend the Executive Assistant app. Great way to see your email, calendar, text messages, news feed, missed calls, Twitter and Facebook all at one glance.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appventive.ExecAssist

And when you do get to rooting your phone, do consider the PGM Touch Control app. A right to left swipe across the bottom of your screen locks the phone. And a left to right swipe anywhere on the screen unlocks the phone. No more fiddling around with the power button!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.paranoid.touchcontrol

mattopotamus
Apr 26, 2013, 06:03 AM
Slu maybe this post could help you out maybe not, but I will give my thoughts. So I think we as smartphone user fight tooth and nail to defend the OS that we choose for many reasons, but we also over look things because we don't want to see negatives. I for one will start by saying I have over looked disadvantages in android many times because I don't see them as disadvantages any more. I have argued for a long time that app quality is about the same on ios and android. Now this is becoming more true over the years, but is still not completely true. Of course there are apps that are completely the same, but other are not and ios has better versions of those apps. I think this is true because ios has only 3 devices and 3 screen sizes to worry about. On android developers have to worry about 100s of sizes, and different versions of android. It just takes more to make an app that works on android. I used ios for a long time, and would always get into arguments with my friend who use android that ios was better. I would always fight that ios was open enough and I could customize my iphone how I wanted it. It was not until I used android that I realize what I was missing in customization. The point I trying to make is we see what we want to see, but both ios and android have negatives is about whether you can still be happy with the OS beyond those things.

So I thought I would go app by app for the ones that I use most, and describe the ios and android versions. I will give you my opinion on which one I like the best. I am going to be as honest as I can.

Facebook- I think we all know that app is just crap on both. The ios version seems to be just a bit better, but that is not saying much at all. Dont really use facebook as much as I did when I was in college, so not really that big of deal to me any more.

Email- Now this is just my experience, but my main email is a gmail email. I find the gmail app to work better for me on android than the stock email app on ios. Now ios email app does a better job of putting all your emails in one place. After finding out about have the emails being able to fit on screen has help so much. Now I have a work email that is an exchange email, and to be honest I do not see the big difference in the two. Now this has come up on this thread several times that the android one is crap, but I just don't use is enough to see it.

Messaging app- I like the stock android app is better than any of the messaging apps on the play store, but I think the ios messaging app wins here. Now maybe after Babel is released it will be a different story, but the imessage and sms being put together is great. This is one of the things I miss about ios.

Music player- ios hands down has a way better music app. This is my number one thing I miss. This was one of the reason I tried the iphone 5. Don't get me wrong the play music app is awesome because you can have all your itunes music in one place without paying anything, but UI wise ios has this one.

Youtube- well seeing as Google owns youtube the android version is way better. Now youtube for ios is updating all the time, so it is getting better still though not as good.

Camera app- well this one is not a hard one ios. Do I need say more?

Tapatalk- this one is my one of most used apps for me. I say they both leave a lot to be desired, but if I had to choose one I would say ios because it has push notifications. Again like facebook I don't find either to be great, and both have a lot of lag.

Maps- google maps to be is hands down the best. Well I should say google maps on android is better than Apple maps. The ios google maps is not that good. Apple maps for being just introduced is pretty good, and will get better, but Google maps I think is the best navigation experience you can get.

Checkbook app- Some people may never use this, but I use this anytime I buy something. I used an app called iReconcile on ios as a checkbook register. Man was that app great. Miss that a lot. After searching for months and months I found easymoney, and I have to say not to bad, but still not iReconcile.

IMDB- another app I use a ton. I have to say it really is just the same on both. It is a good app that works well on both, and there really is no difference.

Flixster- about the same on both. Can't really see any difference.

Twitter- I use the official Twitter app, so I can't speak for the Twitter clients people speak of. The twitter app seems just as good on both.

Browser- I was never a big fan of Safari, and I am still not sold on Chrome. I really liked the stock browser on the galaxy nexus and thought it took the cake. If I had to choose between Safari and Chrome I would go with Chrome. Safari to me just is not for me. It seems so outdated with have a search bar that is not in the url. What browser on any platform does not offer this? This is not to say Chrome is great it is just better than Safari.

At&t UVerse- this is much better on android, but still At&t what can I say the app is just not that good on either. Android seems to add a lot better UI than ios. Things just seem easier to navigate on the android app.

Weather channel- this use to be a toss up, but after the android one got updated a couple of months ago it went south. They add this very cartoonish UI that is a real turn off. I will take the ios version all day long. The only thing I like better about the android version is that I can put the temperature in the notification bar.

Siri or Google now- well I think this might come down to preference, but I will say Siri seems to do more, and google picks up voices better. Now seems to get things more accurate, but Siri just does more stuff. I will let you see for yourself and decide.

Calendar- I like stock android much better. The ios one just seems to me kind of a mess. I think the stock android one is much cleaner and easier to use. Android when looking at the month view seems to give way more information than ios.

Clock app- really like the design of the android one, but ios has the sleep timer built in that lets you sleep whatever music is playing at the time. I use this every night when I am in bed. I know you can download apps from the playstore that do the same thing, but that does not count in app to app comparison.

Pandora- This use to be a no question ios win, but now I think it is a toss up. They both seem to be just a like. Just from me looking at them right now design and polish goes to ios. Over all functionality goes to android. Seems to add more to the experience.

Speed test app- I use this a lot and find the ios after the new update much better. If they get around to updating the android one it will be a toss up again.

Amazon- I like the UI just a bit more on android. Pretty much the same on both.

I know this was long, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible and give you some insight after being a long time user of both. I choose android even after some of my most used apps are not quite as good. Still I just like the way android works better than ios. If you have any question or there are apps that I left out that you want to know about let me know. There are going to be many I have never used, and I will let you know if that is the case. I hope this helps some.

I think google maps does a better job with alternative routes, but looks horrendous on android. Google actually admitted their IOS version looks better than the android version. I think apple maps is the cleanest of them all

bmac4
Apr 26, 2013, 06:28 AM
I think google maps does a better job with alternative routes, but looks horrendous on android. Google actually admitted their IOS version looks better than the android version. I think apple maps is the cleanest of them all

Personal preference I guess, but I am still an android Google maps fan. It has not let me down.

ChazUK
Apr 26, 2013, 09:19 AM
This is what TuneIn looks like streaming on my HTC One (screenshot on the right). The same feed on my iP5 has controls allowing rewind/pause/forward, but none on the Android app.

I've got tune in radio pro and can pause and use the bar Along the top to scratch backwards with full pause/10 second replay record and stop.
http://chazclout.com/CV/Upload/images/screenkhk.png

Perhaps its a limitation of the free Android version?

tjl3
Apr 26, 2013, 09:52 AM
I would recommend the Executive Assistant app. Great way to see your email, calendar, text messages, news feed, missed calls, Twitter and Facebook all at one glance.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appventive.ExecAssist
[/url]

This widget is amazing!

viskon
Apr 26, 2013, 10:12 AM
This widget is amazing!

I have been using Executive Assistant for a couple of years now. It could use a visual overhaul, but functionally, is gotten better with every update. It is my one must-have app.

bmac4
Apr 26, 2013, 10:21 AM
I have been using Executive Assistant for a couple of years now. It could use a visual overhaul, but functionally, is gotten better with every update. It is my one must-have app.

Is there a free version? $7 seems like a lot.

viskon
Apr 26, 2013, 10:23 AM
Is there a free version? $7 seems like a lot.

It is totally worth it, IMO.

But here is the free version.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appventive.ExecAssist.ad

bmac4
Apr 26, 2013, 10:32 AM
It is totally worth it, IMO.

But here is the free version.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appventive.ExecAssist.ad

Oh really the paid version is that good?

Just checked out the free version just to see how I liked it. Seems cool, but does it have to be there when you hit the sleep wake button? I would like to put it on the home page of my lock screen widgets.

viskon
Apr 26, 2013, 10:47 AM
Oh really the paid version is that good?

For me at least :D.

I have the widget on my lockscreen and also my homescreen. In combination with Lightflow, I found that I did not need notifications any more. Other than text messages, all other notifications are turned off. Plus I can reply to text messages from right within the widget, even from the lockscreen, if I choose to enable that feature.

On my lockscreen, I have set the widget to just show just minimum information, like email sender's name and the subject, so that I just need to look at my lockscreen to know if there is anything important.

It really shows how powerful widgets can be when applied properly.

bmac4
Apr 26, 2013, 10:48 AM
For me at least :D.

I have the widget on my lockscreen and also my homescreen. In combination with Lightflow, I found that I did not need notifications any more. Other than text messages, all other notifications are turned off. Plus I can reply to text messages from right within the widget, even from the lockscreen, if I choose to enable that feature.

On my lockscreen, I have set the widget to just show just minimum information, like email sender's name and the subject, so that I just need to look at my lockscreen to know if there is anything important.

It really shows how powerful widgets can be when applied properly.

Thanks for the info I might just have to give a try

viskon
Apr 26, 2013, 10:55 AM
Just checked out the free version just to see how I liked it. Seems cool, but does it have to be there when you hit the sleep wake button? I would like to put it on the home page of my lock screen widgets.

The are two options here to add it to the lock screen. The first is within the app. If you tick "Add to Lock Screen" , it sort of takes over the lock screen. I would not recommend that.

Instead, leave the check box unchecked and add it to your lock screen like you would add any other lockscreen widget.

bmac4
Apr 26, 2013, 10:59 AM
The are two options here to add it to the lock screen. The first is within the app. If you tick "Add to Lock Screen" , it sort of takes over the lock screen. I would not recommend that.

Instead, leave the check box unchecked and add it to your lock screen like you would add any other lockscreen widget.

Cool thanks that is awesome.

tjl3
Apr 26, 2013, 11:26 AM

Yup! The paid one was worth it. I only started using it this year after seeing someone talk about it on MR. Problem is that if I didn't stumble upon it on these forums, I probably would never have found it. But it is a great app.

tbayrgs
Apr 26, 2013, 11:35 AM
I've got tune in radio pro and can pause and use the bar Along the top to scratch backwards with full pause/10 second replay record and stop.
Image (http://chazclout.com/CV/Upload/images/screenkhk.png)

Perhaps its a limitation of the free Android version?

Yeah, another poster determined those features aren't available in the free Android version--shame because they are part of the free iOS version.

ChazUK
Apr 26, 2013, 11:54 AM
Yeah, another poster determined those features aren't available in the free Android version--shame because they are part of the free iOS version.

I did install the app on my iPhone and confirmed this too (I'll stick with the free version on iOS because of this, with it playing in the background the iAds don't affect things at all)!

Very odd that the free app on iOS has more functionality than the Android version, but it's their prerogative.

Seems to be missing from the Windows Phone app too. :(
http://chazclout.com/CV/Upload/images/wpss20rxr.png

supahsain
Apr 26, 2013, 04:23 PM
I guess its because most android users run adblock and they don't get any revenue

gwerhart0800
Apr 27, 2013, 07:26 AM

Huge thank you for finding and posting about this app. The notifications aspect of Android on the Nexus 4 has been my biggest disappointment. This brings it up-to-pare with IOS.

slu
Apr 27, 2013, 08:46 PM
Firstly, I'd like to thank everyone for their responses. Every single one was helpful and I really appreciate that this thread has stayed constructive.

I now know that I will be sticking with Android. After getting used to Android this week, I have come to the conclusion that for how I use a phone, iOS and Android are basically the same. Most everything is available for both platforms and once you get used to things being done differently, there aren't many issues.

Initially, I said widgets seem to be a gimmick, but this was until I discovered lock screen widgets. These are an outstanding feature. Especially once I installed "Notifications Widget" as recommended previously in the thread.

Gmail works fine for me. I have my other email address in Kaiten, which I find to be just OK, but I don't use it much, so I don't care.

I like the way my photos workflow goes now. I upload everything to Google+, which is kinda like my photostream, and dropbox. Pics and video get automatically imported to iPhoto and removed from dropbox. To me this is an improvement as I don't need to plug in my phone to transfer videos. Snapseed is fine for on phone photo editing.

Right now, my battery life is pretty poor. I can't make it through the day without charging. I do think I am "overusing" it because it is my new toy and I have all sorts of stuff running, so I am optimistic that with some adjustments to usage and settings I will be generally able to get a day's usage.

I have still been being conservative with apps and only downloading them when I need them, and so far so good basically. I do think app quality is, in general, better on iOS, but it is slightly better. I have no problems with the Play store. Works fine for me.

I still think I prefer browsing on iOS, but I am trying different browsers and I am getting there. My main issue with Chrome is that it is difficult to access bookmarks with one hand. Dolphin does this well, but browsing is a bit flaky for me. Trying Firefox now, which is my main browser on my Mac.

Music is fine for me. I didn't use the stock iOS app. I used a 3rd party app to play from Google Music, so the Play app suits me just fine. I wish Tune-In had the pause feature, but I can just get the Pro version.

I'd really like to use Google Wallet, but I haven't yet found anywhere I can use it.

And finally, I really enjoy the speed of the phone and the size of the screen. My hand has gotten used to the wider phone and now when I hold my wife's iPhone, it seems tiny. The speed improvements over the iPhone 4 are huge, but that was to be expected.

Overall, for me the Nexus 4 is a really good phone.

bmac4
Apr 27, 2013, 09:08 PM
Firstly, I'd like to thank everyone for their responses. Every single one was helpful and I really appreciate that this thread has stayed constructive.

I now know that I will be sticking with Android. After getting used to Android this week, I have come to the conclusion that for how I use a phone, iOS and Android are basically the same. Most everything is available for both platforms and once you get used to things being done differently, there aren't many issues.

Initially, I said widgets seem to be a gimmick, but this was until I discovered lock screen widgets. These are an outstanding feature. Especially once I installed "Notifications Widget" as recommended previously in the thread.

Gmail works fine for me. I have my other email address in Kaiten, which I find to be just OK, but I don't use it much, so I don't care.

I like the way my photos workflow goes now. I upload everything to Google+, which is kinda like my photostream, and dropbox. Pics and video get automatically imported to iPhoto and removed from dropbox. To me this is an improvement as I don't need to plug in my phone to transfer videos. Snapseed is fine for on phone photo editing.

Right now, my battery life is pretty poor. I can't make it through the day without charging. I do think I am "overusing" it because it is my new toy and I have all sorts of stuff running, so I am optimistic that with some adjustments to usage and settings I will be generally able to get a day's usage.

I have still been being conservative with apps and only downloading them when I need them, and so far so good basically. I do think app quality is, in general, better on iOS, but it is slightly better. I have no problems with the Play store. Works fine for me.

I still think I prefer browsing on iOS, but I am trying different browsers and I am getting there. My main issue with Chrome is that it is difficult to access bookmarks with one hand. Dolphin does this well, but browsing is a bit flaky for me. Trying Firefox now, which is my main browser on my Mac.

Music is fine for me. I didn't use the stock iOS app. I used a 3rd party app to play from Google Music, so the Play app suits me just fine. I wish Tune-In had the pause feature, but I can just get the Pro version.

I'd really like to use Google Wallet, but I haven't yet found anywhere I can use it.

And finally, I really enjoy the speed of the phone and the size of the screen. My hand has gotten used to the wider phone and now when I hold my wife's iPhone, it seems tiny. The speed improvements over the iPhone 4 are huge, but that was to be expected.

Overall, for me the Nexus 4 is a really good phone.

I agree about the browser. Ever since the galaxy nexus stock browser I have been looking for something like it. It was by fare the best mobile browser I have used. My note 2 has a pretty good one to, but still that galaxy nexus one took the cake. If anyone has the apk for please post. Chrome is not my favorite and just use it cause that is what is stock. I have never really liked dolphin that much. Again if you need anything just ask.

torana355
Apr 27, 2013, 09:08 PM

Does it work with whatsapp?

viskon
Apr 27, 2013, 10:20 PM
Does it work with whatsapp?

As per the dev, Whatsapp does not currently have a third party API. EA does not work with whatsapp, for now.

Mxbzz
Apr 27, 2013, 11:18 PM
Glad to hear you enjoy your Nexus 4! It's the first Android phone that had me switch from iOS without looking back.

For my browser, I really enjoy Boat Browser. It's very simple and one of the only other browsers that has a scroll-to-top (and bottom) feature.

Google Wallet can be used essentially anywhere with a PayPass logo. I've always had the tendency to avoid trying to use it because my Amex card has an RFID chip that NEVER works.

For me, I did think the battery life was quite bad in the beginning, but in the past few weeks I've experienced much better results. Either my phone usage changed or CyanogenMod incorporated some battery saving features.

sentinelsx
Apr 28, 2013, 11:36 AM
I am going to rebuy a nexus 4.

I missed it since selling it. I was looking forward to the One and S4 and then i realized two things after constant research and an in person trial of One at a store:

I cannot like touchwizz no matter what. Sure the features are nice but the whole UI reminds me of the samsung wave which runs bada. No difference. Those huge blocky buttons that samsung uses are a reminder of 2.3 and pre 2.3 era, ugh. No thanks. Nova launcher can fix my home screen, it cannot fix the rest of the UI. It cannot fix the stutter that was non existent on the nexus in my experience at least, and custom ROMs only help for so long.

Sense is better but, it is still no stock and the biggest issue is HTC is favoring low light performance of camera more over the regular all around use. So no go for me.

My brother recently got a nexus 4 and i find myself wanting to play with it more and more and he started complaining lol. Stock is just too good to leave for S-features or ultra pixels :(

Dr McKay
Apr 28, 2013, 12:29 PM
I am going to rebuy a nexus 4.

I missed it since selling it. I was looking forward to the One and S4 and then i realized two things after constant research and an in person trial of One at a store:

I cannot like touchwizz no matter what. Sure the features are nice but the whole UI reminds me of the samsung wave which runs bada. No difference. Those huge blocky buttons that samsung uses are a reminder of 2.3 and pre 2.3 era, ugh. No thanks. Nova launcher can fix my home screen, it cannot fix the rest of the UI. It cannot fix the stutter that was non existent on the nexus in my experience at least, and custom ROMs only help for so long.

Sense is better but, it is still no stock and the biggest issue is HTC is favoring low light performance of camera more over the regular all around use. So no go for me.

My brother recently got a nexus 4 and i find myself wanting to play with it more and more and he started complaining lol. Stock is just too good to leave for S-features or ultra pixels :(

I currently have a Nexus 4, Im thinking about getting the GS4 tomorrow, Im hoping with Nova Launcher or something I can avoid most of the Touchwiz.

sentinelsx
Apr 28, 2013, 01:32 PM
I currently have a Nexus 4, Im thinking about getting the GS4 tomorrow, Im hoping with Nova Launcher or something I can avoid most of the Touchwiz.

I hope there is a touchwiz based rom that can change the look to complete stock android. I have a seen a couple of those for the s3 and I wouldn't mind running one if it took out all the bloat and added aosp like feel.

Still, touchwiz UI always fails to impress me. The features (not talking about the S-marketed ones) like wifi direct, better stock apps etc are nice to have.

I wonder how long till we see a really good nexus.

bmac4
Apr 28, 2013, 02:11 PM

I wonder how long till we see a really good nexus.

The nexus 4.:D

sentinelsx
Apr 28, 2013, 10:15 PM
The nexus 4.:D

Okay, "how long till we see a nexus with really good camera".

bmac4
Apr 28, 2013, 10:41 PM
Okay, "how long till we see a nexus with really good camera".

With a really good camera? Hopefully this year. Couch said Google said they would deliver a good camera this next nexus. Is that the only thing that you think is holding back the nexus line of phones? Other than storage because I am not sure they will address that.

sentinelsx
Apr 28, 2013, 10:45 PM
With a really good camera? Hopefully this year. Couch said Google said they would deliver a good camera this next nexus. Is that the only thing that you think is holding back the nexus line of phones? Other than storage because I am not sure they will address that.

Yeah I find the rest of it top notch. 16 GB is fine with USB otg.

I am not even asking for some really amazing camera or going for stuff like iPhone's sapphire lens or the htc's ultra pixels. Just a decent enough camera that takes sharp photos on the go. The camera sensor in N4 is really cheap, it is very hard to focus is properly and even when I compare it to an iPhone 4, the iPhone 4's sensor takes much sharper photos.

I am sure they can find a cheaper but decent camera module in 2013. I would appreciate better battery life too but so far I think it is manageable.

May be google is planning to make moto nexus this time. Moto has been eerily quite about their new hardware since the new razrs and I think something big is about to happen, hopefully.

strausd
Apr 28, 2013, 11:11 PM
Yeah I find the rest of it top notch. 16 GB is fine with USB otg.
Too bad the Nexus 4 doesn't support USB OTG without a power adapter and a special kernel. And with an additional power adapter, that kind of defeats the whole On The Go purpose. This was a huge bummer to me because I bought a USB OTG cable right before I ordered my N4.

I would appreciate better battery life too but so far I think it is manageable.

Battery life is decent. I think it takes a few weeks to break it in. At least that was my experience with it. But although battery life is sometimes manageable, manageable != ideal.

sentinelsx
Apr 28, 2013, 11:36 PM
Too bad the Nexus 4 doesn't support USB OTG without a power adapter and a special kernel. And with an additional power adapter, that kind of defeats the whole On The Go purpose. This was a huge bummer to me because I bought a USB OTG cable right before I ordered my N4.

Battery life is decent. I think it takes a few weeks to break it in. At least that was my experience with it. But although battery life is sometimes manageable, manageable != ideal.

Yeah not ideal but not so bad either. Don't get me wrong though, any improvement is a major plus to me. I think 4.2.2 has made the battery from downright sucker to live able at least. I do notice that using 3G data really drains the battery and does it quite fast, don't know if it is something to do with how the chips are placed or the software.

Do you still use a nexus 4 or did you switch to something else?

strausd
Apr 29, 2013, 01:13 AM
Yeah not ideal but not so bad either. Don't get me wrong though, any improvement is a major plus to me. I think 4.2.2 has made the battery from downright sucker to live able at least. I do notice that using 3G data really drains the battery and does it quite fast, don't know if it is something to do with how the chips are placed or the software.

Do you still use a nexus 4 or did you switch to something else?

I have been using my Nexus 4 since November. I love it just about everything about it and will probably never go back to an iPhone.

And I totally agree that 3G drains battery like crazy. And I think it is probably because of the OS. This is one the iOS will always have: OS efficiency. I think because Android just has too many devices to "support", proper support, which brings along efficiency and optimization, is nearly impossible.

Tig Bitties
Apr 29, 2013, 06:47 AM
For best battery life, you really need to root, and install a custom Kernel, which will improve battery life significantly.

I went back to Official CM10.1 ROM + Matrix 8.5 kernel.

Now I can get 4h On Screen time easily, usually closer to 5h. Plus the phone is faster / smoother than stock, and more custom options and tweaking. And this kernel calibrates the screen, makes the colors look amazing.

My standby time, with this ROM & Kernel is outstanding. Before bed I charged phone fully to 100%, then took off charger read few websites,, left phone on desk overnight with 99% charge in it, woke up this morning, 7.5 hours later, phone still at 99%, and it was on 3G all night, not WiFi.

torana355
Apr 29, 2013, 08:41 AM
I have been using my Nexus 4 since November. I love it just about everything about it and will probably never go back to an iPhone.

And I totally agree that 3G drains battery like crazy. And I think it is probably because of the OS. This is one the iOS will always have: OS efficiency. I think because Android just has too many devices to "support", proper support, which brings along efficiency and optimization, is nearly impossible.

You can get decent efficiency and optimization with custom roms and kernels. For example most of the decent roms available for the Nexus 4 have a bunch of krait and bionic optimizations that are built specifically for the Nexus 4 hardware. My Nexus 4 with Sabermod rom and Trinity kernel is extremely good on battery.

Tig Bitties
Apr 29, 2013, 10:41 AM
You can get decent efficiency and optimization with custom roms and kernels. For example most of the decent roms available for the Nexus 4 have a bunch of krait and bionic optimizations that are built specifically for the Nexus 4 hardware. My Nexus 4 with Sabermod rom and Trinity kernel is extremely good on battery.

Totally agree on rooting and custom kernels making a major improvement in battery life. Like I said, I am running the official CM10.1 Nightly ROM + Matrix Kernel v8.5. Right now my battery is at 63%, with 10h 28m use, and 2h 41m On Screen time so far.

Plus this Matrix kernel improves the screen colors and gama significantly, really makes the Nexus 4 display look much much nicer compared to stock.

This guy is the best for helping people "root" their Android phones, he has a web page for every phone out there. Following his step by step guide, and video tutorial, makes it nearly fool proof. I am no computer programmer, and have rooted plenty of phones using his guides, just follow his guide to a "t", and it really is easy. Will take 15 - 20 minutes tops, and your rooted, and good to go.

Nexus 4 root;
http://nexus4root.com/nexus-4-root/how-to-root-nexus-4-windowsmac-osxlinuxubuntu/

ROM; official CM10.1
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2020859

Kernel; Matr1x v8.5
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2007231

strausd
Apr 29, 2013, 01:18 PM

Ya I am running CM 10.1 and Franco kernel on my Nexus 4. But the point I was trying to make is that Android lacks the efficiency and optimization that keeps iOS feeling so smooth. The only way to get improved optimization, which still in my mind doesn't match iOS, is with a custom ROM and kernel, which most Android users will never use.

----------

Totally agree on rooting and custom kernels making a major improvement in battery life. Like I said, I am running the official CM10.1 Nightly ROM + Matrix Kernel v8.5. Right now my battery is at 63%, with 10h 28m use, and 2h 41m On Screen time so far.

Plus this Matrix kernel improves the screen colors and gama significantly, really makes the Nexus 4 display look much much nicer compared to stock.

This guy is the best for helping people "root" their Android phones, he has a web page for every phone out there. Following his step by step guide, and video tutorial, makes it nearly fool proof. I am no computer programmer, and have rooted plenty of phones using his guides, just follow his guide to a "t", and it really is easy. Will take 15 - 20 minutes tops, and your rooted, and good to go.

Nexus 4 root;
http://nexus4root.com/nexus-4-root/how-to-root-nexus-4-windowsmac-osxlinuxubuntu/

ROM; official CM10.1

Kernel; Matr1x v8.5

Did you change any other settings on your kernel to get that kind of battery life? Or are you just leaving it as is? Also, did you have to turn a bunch of features off? I would love to get that kind of battery life on my Nexus 4.

Tig Bitties
Apr 29, 2013, 01:42 PM
Ya I am running CM 10.1 and Franco kernel on my Nexus 4. But the point I was trying to make is that Android lacks the efficiency and optimization that keeps iOS feeling so smooth. The only way to get improved optimization, which still in my mind doesn't match iOS, is with a custom ROM and kernel, which most Android users will never use.

----------

Did you change any other settings on your kernel to get that kind of battery life? Or are you just leaving it as is? Also, did you have to turn a bunch of features off? I would love to get that kind of battery life on my Nexus 4.

No specific settings with this kernel. Just flash in recovery and let it be. I don't have any e-mail accounts sync at all, no FaceBook app at all, I use a very good app named "Greenify" keeps a lot of heavy tasks from running in the background, like Maps, Voice, etc...

Most the day I am on 3G, not WiFi until night time. I use my phone a lot during the day for calls doing business, and text like a madman, and check and send e-mails a lot.

I would guess on a heavy workday, I get 12 - 14 hours total use of battery life, with around 4.5h On Screen time. On Weekends with light use and on WiFi I go 24h easily.

Right now battery life @ 37% with 12h 50m total use, and 3h On Screen.

strausd
Apr 29, 2013, 02:18 PM
No specific settings with this kernel. Just flash in recovery and let it be. I don't have any e-mail accounts sync at all, no FaceBook app at all, I use a very good app named "Greenify" keeps a lot of heavy tasks from running in the background, like Maps, Voice, etc...

Most the day I am on 3G, not WiFi until night time. I use my phone a lot during the day for calls doing business, and text like a madman, and check and send e-mails a lot.

I would guess on a heavy workday, I get 12 - 14 hours total use of battery life, with around 4.5h On Screen time. On Weekends with light use and on WiFi I go 24h easily.

Right now battery life @ 37% with 12h 50m total use, and 3h On Screen.

Well that actually sounds right on par with what I get. But 63% with 10.5 hours and 2.5 hours OST is more than I normally get though.

torana355
Apr 29, 2013, 04:13 PM

Yeah i totally agree, out of the box iOS is much more efficient and optimized as it is made specifically for the iPhone. Since there are so many different android phones it is hard for the Android OS to be optimized for them all. This is why i recommend Android phones to people that like to tinker as there is massive improvements to be made if you put some time in. Personally the tinkering is what makes a new phone so much fun :p btw on my last last charge i got just over 6 hours OST and 15 hours standby :)

strausd
Apr 29, 2013, 05:07 PM
Yeah i totally agree, out of the box iOS is much more efficient and optimized as it is made specifically for the iPhone. Since there are so many different android phones it is hard for the Android OS to be optimized for them all. This is why i recommend Android phones to people that like to tinker as there is massive improvements to be made if you put some time in. Personally the tinkering is what makes a new phone so much fun :p btw on my last last charge i got just over 6 hours OST and 15 hours standby :)

That is some ridiculous OST. I am hoping the Nexus 5 fixes the two major problems associated with Nexus devices: awful camera and awful battery.

torana355
Apr 29, 2013, 05:25 PM
That is some ridiculous OST. I am hoping the Nexus 5 fixes the two major problems associated with Nexus devices: awful camera and awful battery.

If the Nexus 5 improves the camera and battery and keeps all the positives of the Nexus 4 it really will be a winner. Ill be getting one regardless :p

Greg.
Apr 29, 2013, 05:32 PM

Where 'awful' = 'average'...

Tig Bitties
Apr 29, 2013, 08:43 PM
Today on my Nexus 4, I got 15h 45m battery life, with 4h On Screen time. Most of that on 3G, maybe two or three hours on WiFi today.

I am running Official CM10.1 Nightly ROM + Matr1x kernel v8.5

Not sure how to add my screen shots proving that, while submitting this post threw my phone ?

torana355
Apr 29, 2013, 11:17 PM
Today on my Nexus 4, I got 15h 45m battery life, with 4h On Screen time. Most of that on 3G, maybe two or three hours on WiFi today.

I am running Official CM10.1 Nightly ROM + Matr1x kernel v8.5

Not sure how to add my screen shots proving that, while submitting this post threw my phone ?

That is REALLY good for 3G. I can only get 5 hours SOT on Wifi. I also love Mat1x kernel, it is best on the stock rom. For custom roms Trinity is my favorite by far.

slu
Apr 29, 2013, 11:23 PM
I did pretty well today with stock.

bmac4
Apr 30, 2013, 06:16 AM

Yea that is about what I get.

mattopotamus
Apr 30, 2013, 06:26 AM

Yea that is about what I get.

I also am on stock and never have a problem getting through an entire day. Plus if you are on wifi then you really do not have to worry about battery.

Paradoxally
Apr 30, 2013, 06:34 AM
I agree about the browser. Ever since the galaxy nexus stock browser I have been looking for something like it. It was by fare the best mobile browser I have used. My note 2 has a pretty good one to, but still that galaxy nexus one took the cake. If anyone has the apk for please post. Chrome is not my favorite and just use it cause that is what is stock. I have never really liked dolphin that much. Again if you need anything just ask.

Use CyanogenMod, it has that browser built-in (well, if not that, it's the one that says 'Browser').

To solve battery issues for the OP, take a look at XDA Developers ROM section for the Nexus 4. My personal recommendation is Xylon ROM + faux kernel with snake charmer and eco mode on. Nearly 5 hours of screen on time.

strausd
Apr 30, 2013, 10:27 AM
Where 'awful' = 'average'...

That is a giant assumption. I have seen people get only 2 hours of OST with settings that should be getting them 4. Clearly there are varying levels of battery life. This inconsistency is why I consider it awful. Assuming everyone is getting the same "average" battery life (and average by who's standards, yours?) is just naive.

sentinelsx
Apr 30, 2013, 10:46 AM
I wonder if google i/o will make non-nexus owners jealous.

If it is just 4.3 and incorporates stuff like babel/some minor improvements and adjustments may be i will just get the One for now and get the nexus in the fall with 5.0 / 4.4.

----------

That is a giant assumption. I have seen people get only 2 hours of OST with settings that should be getting them 4. Clearly there are varying levels of battery life. This inconsistency is why I consider it awful. Assuming everyone is getting the same "average" battery life (and average by who's standards, yours?) is just naive.

What i don't get is the nexus 4 has a decent 2100mah battery. I do note that the device is quite good on wifi however. My guess is that LG cut corners while making the nexus (to keep price low) and the modem chip isn't as integrated as it is on the rest of the devices or something else is amiss. Even an S3 with AOKP gets 5 hr SOT daily so i wonder if android OS is really the issue here.

blackhand1001
Apr 30, 2013, 12:31 PM
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.mkrtchyan.aospinstaller

If you are rooted I recommend installing this. If makes it much easier to install aosp browser.

Tig Bitties
Apr 30, 2013, 01:00 PM
The Nexus-Five is rumored to have an extra large 3000mAh battery, that will help a ton in making it last a full day easily, plus Android 5.0 is supposed to be more efficient, and better battery management.

Most expect the N5 due out between Sept - Nov this Fall, and be made by either LG or Sony. We might hear some top secret closed door rumors about the Nexus-Five at Google I/O in May

Switchback666
Apr 30, 2013, 01:43 PM
The Nexus-Five is rumored to have an extra large 3000mAh battery, that will help a ton in making it last a full day easily, plus Android 5.0 is supposed to be more efficient, and better battery management.

Most expect the N5 due out between Sept - Nov this Fall, and be made by either LG or Sony. We might hear some top secret closed door rumors about the Nexus-Five at Google I/O in May

I have faith that LG will make another great Nexus device, if google focus on making android more battery efficient like they did with project butter in regards of lag issues it will take android to a whole new level.

Tig Bitties
Apr 30, 2013, 01:52 PM
My Nexus 4 battery life today @ 46% after 6h 15m unplugged and 2h 47m On Screen time. All on 3G, no WiFi.

On average I get around 4h to maybe 5h On Screen time, and overall battery life, anywhere typically 14h or so on workdays. On light weekend WiFi use I can go much longer

Tig Bitties
May 1, 2013, 03:39 PM
Today, battery @ 53% after 7h 19m, and 3h 7m On Screen time, that On Screen time surprises me after 7 hours unplugged. Been on the 3G network majority of today, just WiFi in the morning for maybe 2 hours.

I have to admit, my battery life can be different day to day it seems. Some days like right now, this is very good battery life, but other days it can be much worse with similar use. It's never consistent.

Or if I start using my phone heavily right now, make a lot of phone calls, send a much more texts, etc...and it will drop quickly again.

sentinelsx
May 1, 2013, 03:45 PM
Today, battery @ 53% after 7h 19m, and 3h 7m On Screen time, that On Screen time surprises me after 7 hours unplugged. Been on the 3G network majority of today, just WiFi in the morning for maybe 2 hours.

I have to admit, my battery life can be different day to day it seems. Some days like right now, this is very good battery life, but other days it can be much worse with similar use. It's never consistent.

Or if I start using my phone heavily right now, make a lot of phone calls, send a much more texts, etc...and it will drop quickly again.

Hey what rom/kernel combo are you using?

Also do you use chrome? In my experience chrome was taxing the battery life heavily on 3G on my nexus 4. Do you use chrome beta? Or some other browser?

TIA

Tig Bitties
May 1, 2013, 04:01 PM
Hey what rom/kernel combo are you using?

Also do you use chrome? In my experience chrome was taxing the battery life heavily on 3G on my nexus 4. Do you use chrome beta? Or some other browser?

TIA

Official CM10.1 Nightly ROM;

Matr1x kernel;

I use the stock Android browser, that comes with CM10.1 ROM, not Chrome.

Just checked battery life again, after a few phone calls, and texts, is @ 48% 7h 44m, with 3h 20m On Screen time.

strausd
May 1, 2013, 05:00 PM
Official CM10.1 Nightly ROM;

Matr1x kernel;

I use the stock Android browser, that comes with CM10.1 ROM, not Chrome.

Just checked battery life again, after a few phone calls, and texts, is @ 48% 7h 44m, with 3h 20m On Screen time.

I know on Franco kernel I have to use an app to control the settings. But I couldn't find an app to control the Matrix kernel settings. What do you use?

Tig Bitties
May 1, 2013, 05:06 PM
I know on Franco kernel I have to use an app to control the settings. But I couldn't find an app to control the Matrix kernel settings. What do you use?

Trickster Mod, on the Play Store.