Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gibbo132

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2010
I am watching something on 4oD and the fans on my MacBook Air are going full blast. Safari web content is using over 100% of my CPU according to activity monitor. Flash is also using 41% of my CPU.

I know that it is badly written but this is rather excessive usage for watching one program on the internet. I also have Facebook and Mac rumors open.

Is there anything I can do to fix this issue or is it a problem with safari/and or flash?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I am watching something on 4oD and the fans on my MacBook Air are going full blast. Safari web content is using over 100% of my CPU according to activity monitor. Flash is also using 41% of my CPU.

I know that it is badly written but this is rather excessive usage for watching one program on the internet. I also have Facebook and Mac rumors open.

Is there anything I can do to fix this issue or is it a problem with safari/and or flash?
The fix is easy, stop using flash. Flash is very poorly written and uses way more resources than it should.

CitrusPisser

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2013
Clicktoflash extension from safari extension downloads. Has dropped cpu usage and CPU/GPU temps significantly for me. I use HTML5.

SMDBill

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2013
Flash causing high CPU utilization and heat problems is inherent to Flash itself. On Linux distributions users suffer the same consequence of Flash applications or videos. It is too bad flash games, apps and videos are so prevalent on the Internet because it really is a poorly designed piece of software as far as efficiency goes.

phobox

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2007
While the issue does lay with Flash primarily, I have noticed it depends a lot also on what browser you use. For example, Safari pegs the cpu like crazy on some Flash sites just as you experienced, whereas with Chrome or Firefox Ive not noticed the same behaviour.

Donut4000

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009
Clicktoflash extension from safari extension downloads. Has dropped cpu usage and CPU/GPU temps significantly for me. I use HTML5.

Why stop at Flash - I use ClicktoPlugin, and web browsing has never been swifter. I think it may be by the same folks that do ClicktoFlash.
:)

gibbo132

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2010
I have switched to chrome, seems to be much better!

Safari was being extremely buggy for me (such as unexpectedly quitting). I also feel chrome is much quicker at loading sites.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
Another recommendation for "ClicktoPlugin".

Flash uses like 70-100% CPU randomly, really annoying.

I run all my videos that I can in HTML5 now and it works much better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.