PDA

View Full Version : Dj'ing on PowerBook G4?

andy4895
Apr 23, 2013, 03:38 PM
Hi,

first post here, are there any well known dj'ing apps for 10.5 leopard, im running a PowerBook G4 1.5GHz, 2GB RAM, and would like to put this kinda work onto my powerbook instead of macbook...

Thanks, Andrew :)

TacticalDesire
Apr 23, 2013, 04:31 PM
Look for something older designed for 10.5. I doubt you'd find anything recent but older stuff may work ok.

Jethryn Freyman
Apr 26, 2013, 07:58 AM
Going back to a Powerbook from an {Intel} Macbook will be a pain in the ass performance wise, not worth the loss in performance.

cocacolakid
Apr 26, 2013, 08:23 PM
Going back to a Powerbook from an {Intel} Macbook will be a pain in the ass performance wise, not worth the loss in performance.

Not for just playing music, it's not like OP is trying to edit HD video.

Here's a long list of DJ apps for OS X, you'll have to dig through it to see what (if anything) can run on a PPC 10.5

http://mac.appstorm.net/roundups/music-roundups/the-big-collection-of-dj-software-for-mac/

UPDATE: Mixxx is one DJ app that can run on PPC's and 10.5 and it's free and loaded with features: http://www.mixxx.org/features.php

Lil Chillbil
Apr 26, 2013, 10:07 PM
I recommend that you bite the bullet and buy a newer pc,

core i3 with 4 gigs of ram and windows 7 not 8 should work great for any djing you might want to do. As for these powerbooks they will not grant you the performance you as someone who has experienced faster is truely seeking.

LeeM
Apr 27, 2013, 09:34 AM
traktor should work. what other hardware are you using?

ihuman:D
Apr 27, 2013, 10:09 AM

core i3 with 4 gigs of ram and windows 7 not 8 should work great for any djing you might want to do. As for these powerbooks they will not grant you the performance you as someone who has experienced faster is truely seeking.

What is with all the haters on 8!?

Lil Chillbil
Apr 27, 2013, 10:14 AM
What is with all the haters on 8!?

this is why
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSMQbN7ILQg

burnout8488
Apr 27, 2013, 11:55 AM
I never found a suitable DJ app on PPC. Even the old versions of Traktor were pretty much crap compared to how easy the Intel version is to use.

Lil Chillbil
Apr 27, 2013, 03:09 PM
I never found a suitable DJ app on PPC. Even the old versions of Traktor were pretty much crap compared to how easy the Intel version is to use.

That is why I recommend a pc, and not a mac for djing

Apr 27, 2013, 03:28 PM
this is why
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSMQbN7ILQg

He only tried it for 4hrs, that is an unfair comparison. Plus, did you even try it yourself?

Lil Chillbil
Apr 27, 2013, 03:31 PM
He only tried it for 4hrs, that is an unfair comparison. Plus, did you even try it yourself?

yes, and for several days I might add

balls in your court :rolleyes:

Apr 27, 2013, 07:00 PM
yes, and for several days I might add

balls in your court :rolleyes:

Fair enough. It's just that many people say "Oh, I hate it. It's too different", without even trying it. I like it once you download this (http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php) - I find it much faster than any Windows OS I've used to date.

g4manimac
Apr 27, 2013, 07:27 PM
I use Virtual Dj and it is still an awesome little bit of software!I can still make it by with it on pretty much every angle exept any video input.It has all kinds of skins and other pretty cool stuff.Fyi I think its version 6.0.1

burnout8488
Apr 28, 2013, 12:11 PM

Well, there's certainly no lack of support for Intel-based Macs in the DJing world. PPC is where it gets iffy.

ppcfanforever1
Apr 28, 2013, 02:04 PM

I swear every time I come on the forums you tell people to buy pcs, if you cant put up with people just wanting to use powerpc then leave and dont come back, seriously they just ask a question and you go and tell them to buy buy buy every time. Grow a pair and look for software for them

Lil Chillbil
Apr 28, 2013, 03:35 PM
I swear every time I come on the forums you tell people to buy pcs, if you cant put up with people just wanting to use powerpc then leave and dont come back, seriously they just ask a question and you go and tell them to buy buy buy every time. Grow a pair and look for software for them

Jeese jeff what kind of apology do you want from me, I said I was sorry weeks ago, pc is an all around good platform for everything whearas powerpc is still very very good and I use it damn near everyday to play quake 3 for any pro work I would leave it to intel and amd based macs and pcs.

Wildy
May 1, 2013, 12:47 PM

How regularly do you DJ though? (innocent non-ego question - I don't DJ at all). I use my PB for audio work primarily, and Macs have, without a doubt, the best hardware and software support for this kind of work. When it comes to live performances, I would trust my life to my PowerBook - it's never let me down in a mission critical situation.

Lil Chillbil
May 1, 2013, 02:58 PM
How regularly do you DJ though? (innocent non-ego question - I don't DJ at all). I use my PB for audio work primarily, and Macs have, without a doubt, the best hardware and software support for this kind of work. When it comes to live performances, I would trust my life to my PowerBook - it's never let me down in a mission critical situation.

I dj a bit, round 2-3 hours per week

mayuka
May 4, 2013, 01:56 AM
You can still use Traktor 3 on your PPC. I use 3.4.1 and it works great. You can get it with a license for a few bucks on ebay now.

For DJing you can also use Ableton Live. Most people don't know that you can use the software for other things as well.

I'm still using my Powerbook for making live music and some DJing stuff occassionally. It never let me down.

ijohn.8.80
May 4, 2013, 04:26 AM
I know for a fact that DJ-1800 (http://www.dj1800.com/index.php) works on 10.4!

I suppose it depends how much you are willing to spend also.