Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

icloud-icon-399x400-150x150.jpg
During today's Q2 2013 quarterly earnings call, Apple revealed that iCloud now has more than 300 million users, a 20% increase from the 250 million that it reported during its Q1 earnings call in January. A year ago, iCloud had just over 100M users.

Apple's iCloud originally launched in late 2011, as a replacement for the company's MobileMe service.

iCloud, which is designed to allow users to store data from games and music, among other things, lets users sync content between multiple Apple devices. Recently, iCloud has experienced a number of service outages, with the latest occurring this morning.

Article Link: iCloud Boasts 300M Users and 20 Percent Growth in Q2 2013

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
iCloud base may have grown, but the bugs in this service is still very prevalent. Smart playlists in itunes is my biggest complaint, is it really that difficult to get it to work even if I already have iTunes Match....?

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Now that they have a substantial user base, they should make it more useful (i.e. more Dropbox-like).

Also wouldn't mind if I could get 5GB/device rather than 5GB/account =P

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
The amount of cloud space you get should equal the amount of space on the iOS devices you bought.

If I buy a 64GB iPad, I should be able to back it up to the cloud.

...not that I'd want to do it all at once, but still...

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I dont think this is a very reliable piece of information really.

For example, I'm counted as an iCloud user - I have an iCloud email address, gamecenter account and have Photo syncing turned on - I dont 'use' iCloud however - I dont use the email account (it was non optional). I dont use any of the other features. Plus which, surely pretty much every iOS6 device activated gives an iCloud account out, does it not?

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
After trying to sync everything through Google on a Android phone recently, I realized Apple's solution was much more cleaner and seamless.

Love iCloud!

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
Great product, I use it all the time. Tons of room to grow but they did an amazing job implementing it to their customers.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
I dont think this is a very reliable piece of information really.

For example, I'm counted as an iCloud user - I have an iCloud email address, gamecenter account and have Photo syncing turned on - I dont 'use' iCloud however - I dont use the email account (it was non optional). I dont use any of the other features. Plus which, surely pretty much every iOS6 device activated gives an iCloud account out, does it not?

This is common, every service calculates their user numbers in exactly the same way. For instance, do you think Facebook really has 1 billion active users? Of course they don't.

Also, to answer your question, not every iOS 6 device activated gets an iCloud account. It is an option on initial set-up that you can easily choose to skip.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
The amount of cloud space you get should equal the amount of space on the iOS devices you bought.

That's nice. Considering some do update every year their iOS devices while selling old ones, some do buy and sell as a second hand or even brand new, one user would end up with 100 of GB storage space or more. Not bad at all, only if Apple haven't thought of that ;)

redhawk87

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2009
Raleigh, NC
iCloud is so heavily integrated into Apple products, its hard NOT to use iCloud (if you have an Apple device that is). To me this number is the same as saying how many iOS devices are currently in use.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
That's nice. Considering some do update every year their iOS devices while selling old ones, some do buy and sell as a second hand or even brand new, one user would end up with 100 of GB storage space or more. Not bad at all, only if Apple haven't thought of that ;)

...yeah, I should have specified "registered", not just bought. When you sell a used device and the next user registers it, the drivespace associated with that device should go to them.

As big as Apples server farms are, I can't imagine how big they'd need to be to match the collective drivespace of all the iOS devices they're cranking out. I'd guess that's the limiting factor.

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
iCloud is so heavily integrated into Apple products, its hard NOT to use iCloud (if you have an Apple device that is). To me this number is the same as saying how many iOS devices are currently in use.

Exactly. Considering you need an iCloud email address just to sync your notes it's almost impossible to escape the damn thing if you have more than one Mac device.

I store absolutely nothing in iCloud, I only ever use it to sync notes, contacts and calendars across devices and in order to do that you have to use iCloud.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

That's not realistic but I do think that anything purchased at the iTunes store should not count against a users 5GB. Amazon does it that way, and I think it's fair because all Apple has to really do is store an alias in your acct, not the actual media so it's not actually costing them additional storage.

palenran

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2009
It is realistic, and actually true, I think

That's not realistic but I do think that anything purchased at the iTunes store should not count against a users 5GB. Amazon does it that way, and I think it's fair because all Apple has to really do is store an alias in your acct, not the actual media so it's not actually costing them additional storage.

I believe that is how iCloud works. I have a 32GB iPhone 4s and a 64GB iPad Mini, each with 16GB of music on them. I have no problem backin up the whole thing to my 5GB of iCloud backup. That would not be possible if my iTunes store purchases were actually backed up to iCloud. Most of that storage is used by my Mail and my App settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.