PDA

View Full Version : recording Mac Text-to-Speech internally? (Not Via external Microphone)

Irishman
Apr 23, 2013, 05:12 PM
Is what I want to do here possible or outrageously expensive?

I want to type a script, select it, and have the Mac's internal TTS speak it, and be able to save that output to a file I can then edit in a waveform editor like Audacity or Garageband.

Am I crazy? Is it easier to just let the Mac record the voice just like it would mine via microphone?

sammich
Apr 23, 2013, 05:18 PM
Automator -> Text to Audio file

Irishman
Apr 23, 2013, 05:47 PM
Automator -> Text to Audio file

Sounds easy to type, probably not so easy to do.

Jessica Lares
Apr 23, 2013, 06:02 PM
Terminal 101: Making your Mac talk with “say”
http://www.maclife.com/article/columns/terminal_101_making_your_mac_talk_“say”

There's a section called, "Outputting the Audio to a File for Playback Later". That might be what you're after.

sammich
Apr 23, 2013, 09:58 PM
Sounds easy to type, probably not so easy to do.

Okay. I'm assuming you haven't had a look or you've never used Automator before.

It isn't that easy to do.

I'm afraid you'll have to drag in a whole extra step before that 'Text to Audio File' step that selects your text file.

Then you have to click run.

I remember doing this for text I had to listen to in prep for exams in high school, over seven years ago.

cheekypaul
Apr 24, 2013, 02:59 AM

I want to type a script, select it, and have the Mac's internal TTS speak it, and be able to save that output to a file I can then edit in a waveform editor like Audacity or Garageband.

try http://toauapp.com/ it is an app using the terminal line thats already been mentioned
you can adjust the speed of the voices in system preferences
you can also download some other voices from there too
you might find some unintelligible passages depending on the script, and how many tricky words there are

BDM STUDIOS NL
Apr 24, 2013, 03:06 AM

Am I crazy? Is it easier to just let the Mac record the voice just like it would mine via microphone?

Try Soundflower?