PDA

View Full Version : If you could buy a pre-modified iMac G4 as a monitor...

Twimfy
Apr 23, 2013, 09:27 PM
...would you?

I'm seriously considering modifying as many broken ones as I can get my hands on (I don't believe in destroying working machines). I have the resources and the time I'm just wondering what sort of demand there might be?

simsaladimbamba
Apr 23, 2013, 09:28 PM
With the base as kind of speaker system I suppose?
That would be pretty frelling nifty, as I always liked those and would like to have the skills to modify it with some x86 innards. But as display would also be great, though they are limited to 20", which is okay, but quite small for my usage and needs.

Twimfy
Apr 23, 2013, 09:30 PM
With the base as kind of speaker system I suppose?

No leave it empty for small form factor boards or a Pi or something. It'd just contain the faraday cage and small PSU for the display.

Goftrey
Apr 24, 2013, 11:18 AM
If the price was right - I'd struggle to contain myself from buying myself one. I've always refrained myself from buying an iMac G4 as I would have no real use for one. But if I could pick up one & use it as a monitor - my Cinema Display would be going on eBay! I also like the idea of keeping the base as a 'do what you want with it' area. A speaker system, an external disc drive (could be mounted where it would belong as stock?) or (maybe) an NUC PC would fit in there. Nice bit of flexibility.

...Now you've got me excited!

Jessica Lares
Apr 24, 2013, 05:58 PM
HECK YEAH! I like the idea of a Pi, or even like a Mac Mini. It'd be super cool. Or even like an Apple TV if you put HDMI support in there, that way we could mirror our iOS device to it.

Lil Chillbil
Apr 25, 2013, 10:24 AM
I was going to post a meme from that crappy show chowder of him saying would I, would you, would I, would you, would I,

but I felt as though that pointing out this has already been done would be much better :p

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_inHxGWLPdTE/S7asSdRAjxI/AAAAAAAAAOk/66GPpGVXp3c/s1600/IMG_0387.JPG

lucasfer899
Apr 25, 2013, 11:26 AM
YES :eek:
Would be willing to spend quite a chunk on one.
It's gotta have a dvi plug on it though.
Need a new bedside monitor, ugly old dell is ugly and old. :rolleyes:

Twimfy
Apr 26, 2013, 03:40 PM
I was going to post a meme from that crappy show chowder of him saying would I, would you, would I, would you, would I,

but I felt as though that pointing out this has already been done would be much better :p

Image (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_inHxGWLPdTE/S7asSdRAjxI/AAAAAAAAAOk/66GPpGVXp3c/s1600/IMG_0387.JPG)

I'm aware it's been done I've managed to mod a 17" using dremel junkie's guide. I noticed a lot of people were asking if he'd do it as a service but understandibly he declined.

It was less difficult than I thought and I can source G4's fairly well so was considering setting up shop but before I go and rush out and spend money I wanted to know what the demand might be.

Apple fanboy
Apr 26, 2013, 03:44 PM
I'm aware it's been done I've managed to mod a 17" using dremel junkie's guide. I noticed a lot of people were asking if he'd do it as a service but understandibly he declined.

It was less difficult than I thought and I can source G4's fairly well so was considering setting up shop but before I go and rush out and spend money I wanted to know what the demand might be.

How much would you charge for such a device? Assume the base is empty to use for whatever the buyer wants.

Twimfy
Apr 26, 2013, 03:54 PM
How much would you charge for such a device? Assume the base is empty to use for whatever the buyer wants.

To be honest. Hadn't really thought that far ahead. Prices for G4's fluctuate widely. Guess I could put them at auction to see what people would pay and then use that as a rough benchmark. Wouldn't want to rip anyone off but then it would be good to make a little extra just for my time.

Goftrey
Apr 26, 2013, 05:29 PM
To be honest. Hadn't really thought that far ahead. Prices for G4's fluctuate widely. Guess I could put them at auction to see what people would pay and then use that as a rough benchmark. Wouldn't want to rip anyone off but then it would be good to make a little extra just for my time.

I payed just under 100 for my 20" Aluminium Cinema Display - if you were to go ahead and actually do what you are proposing, I'd be willing to spend somewhere in the ball-park of what I payed for my Cinema Display (and this is the 20" iMac I'm on about too).

Lil Chillbil
Apr 26, 2013, 10:04 PM
I payed just under 100 for my 20" Aluminium Cinema Display - if you were to go ahead and actually do what you are proposing, I'd be willing to spend somewhere in the ball-park of what I payed for my Cinema Display (and this is the 20" iMac I'm on about too).

I agree with Mr. Boxhall that you would only be able to sell the 20" models in this day and age. and your main competition would be the $150 cinema displays I see all the time on craigslist.

Cox Orange
Apr 29, 2013, 02:29 PM
reminds me of a solution a home shopping channel had on its webpage and still has. I posted it here once, but it was not liked for some reason... http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1356844 its a hold/stand for iPads with a connection to a speaker in the bottom.

RedCroissant
Apr 30, 2013, 10:24 AM
...would you?

I'm seriously considering modifying as many broken ones as I can get my hands on (I don't believe in destroying working machines). I have the resources and the time I'm just wondering what sort of demand there might be?

I would buy one in a heartbeat. Those machines are beautiful and would look awesome as a monitor. I would in fact use it as a secondary display for my iBook. so...yes please.

I wouldn't pay $100 for it though since that's the going price for a fully functional imac G4 and since it would only work as a monitor(unless you found a way to make the fully functional machine work as a secondary display), I wouldn't pay more than $75 for it.

laptoplover2
Jul 19, 2013, 03:39 PM
You could make quite some bucks doing that, I know a whole lot of people would pay for something like that. You can make a good use out of those computers, probably recycle the parts of do whatever you want if not also get soem good spare parts, very cool looking monitors that everybody would want, I'd say that $80-$100 is a good starting price, maybe for a bigger one a little bit higher.

Or even sell little bundles, buy a used Dell with Windows 7 and sell that along with the iLamp monitor, build a whole new all-in-one computer inside of there and make it a Hackintosh running Mountain Lion (careful though with the copyright laws), imagine the possibilities!

Jake0604
Jul 19, 2013, 05:42 PM
If you could fit a modern 20" LED 1080p panel into a iMac G4 enclosure I would buy one.

Twimfy
Jul 20, 2013, 02:12 PM
This is still something I plan to do, I just had to put it on the back burner for a while as life has gotten a bit hectic. Maybe at the end of summer I'll make a start.

rabidz7
Jul 20, 2013, 08:04 PM
Only if it was 16:10, maybe a 20" 1200p or 20" 1050p

Discostu02
Nov 19, 2013, 04:42 AM
Did you make any progress on this project.

Got an old iMac on last legs and a nice i7 Mac mini Taft needs a monitor, thought this would be the perfect solution.

KeegM480
Nov 19, 2013, 10:54 AM
I have to say, that would make a pretty sweet triple monitor setup for an apple fan.

gavinstubbs09
Nov 19, 2013, 11:38 AM
I'd buy one!

Twimfy
Nov 19, 2013, 04:47 PM
Two things have prevented me from doing this.

1. The 17 and 20" systems even broken have skyrocketed price wise in the last few months for some reason.

2. I lost my job so I don't have the spare funds to sink into this yet.