PDA

View Full Version : Install Mountain Lion on Unsupported Macs (My Method) [BETA]

53kyle
Apr 23, 2013, 09:41 PM
IMPORTANT: Make sure that "Install OS X Mountain Lion" is in your applications folder and stays there AND that the application that you download stays in the disk image! Also, I could use some testers because I only tested this on a MacBook (Late 2006). Only use this after backing up and if you want to be really safe, installing Mountain Lion on an empty partition. Finally after choosing your version of OS X in the patch application it can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours (or longer, which will be fixed at some point) so don't just think it is broken, not working, or has already finished. If something goes wrong you will see the message saying "Done Installing :)" after less than 30 minutes.

First off, I do not in any way take any credit for any files that were modded to run mountain lion on unsupported macs HackerWayne (http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=669935) and MLForAll (http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=796263) patched all of the kexts and files modded. All that I did is simplify what was already done.

Supported macs (with at least 2 GB of memory) :

- iMac (Late 2006)
- Mac Mini (Mid 2007)
- Mac Pro (Mid 2006)
- Mac Pro (Early 2007)
- MacBook (Late 2006)
- MacBook (Mid 2007)
- MacBook (Late 2007)
- MacBook (Early 2008)
- MacBook (Late 2008)
- MacBook Air (Early 2008)
- MacBook Pro (Late 2006)
- Xserve (Late 2006)
- Xserve (Early 2008)

Download Mountain Lion:

1. Download parallels desktop trial (http://trial.parallels.com/index.php?lang=en&terr=us)
2. After installing, click on the OS X lion button to buy lion
3. After that installs, click on the mac app store from the virtual machine and download mountain lion
4. Drag the "Install OS X Mountain Lion" from your virtual machine's applications folder to your main applications folder outside of the virtual machine

Guide:

1. Download OS X Mountain Lion using the above method
2. Download my patch (help me come up with a good name) [No more link, read below]
3. Open the disk image and open the application.
4. Click on the version of OS X you have downloaded from the mac app store.
5. Wait until the installation completes, then open "Install OS X Mountain Lion" from your applications folder, not from launchpad.
6. Continue your installation as you would on any compatible mac.
7. When the installation fails click restart and your new mountain lion install should boot with full graphics acceleration!

Please note that this application is still in beta so some things won't work, so please post any bugs you find. Here are some known ones:

Laggy iSight
No iMessages or Facetime
No Bonjour Sharing
Some files in the root of the hard drive that should be hidden are not. DO NOT DELETE THEM!

Upcoming features (maybe):

1. Progress bar that shows progress
2. Log so that if something goes wrong you can tell the error
3. Message saying if there was an error
4. Getting rid of the "installation failed" after installing the OS
5. Hiding files that should be hidden
6. Fixing iSight
7. Fixing Messages and FaceTime (unless I am the only one who has these issues)

EDIT: I have taken down the download link because I feel that the only response I have gotten is negative and hackerwayne's method just works better.

Doritez
Apr 23, 2013, 10:48 PM
Will be testing on my early 2008 black macbook 4,1

53kyle
Apr 23, 2013, 10:53 PM
Will be testing on my early 2008 black macbook 4,1

Just in case something goes wrong, make sure to put mountain lion on a separate partition.

ilboso
Apr 24, 2013, 03:49 AM
Hi!

I've read this thread and the "original" MLPostFactor and I have a question: for what I can understand, the main difference is that your method doesn't need to create the various partitons on disk.

Am I right?

=)

53kyle
Apr 24, 2013, 08:46 AM
Hi!

I've read this thread and the "original" MLPostFactor and I have a question: for what I can understand, the main difference is that your method doesn't need to create the various partitons on disk.

Am I right?

=)

That and there isn't a need to run an installer after installing the OS unless there is an update. My version also has some bugs that mlpostfactor doesn't but I will fix those :)

hackerwayne
Apr 24, 2013, 12:51 PM
That and there isn't a need to run an installer after installing the OS unless there is an update. My version also has some bugs that mlpostfactor doesn't but I will fix those :)

Theres always a reason why i choose to let the user have a Install partition.

1. Its does the same thing as Apples "Recovery Partition"
2. It doesn't overwrite onto you're perfectly fine Lion partition.

Other notes:
1. You can't buy ML from the app store if you hava an unsupported mac.
2. iMessage & FT is working.
Hiding files that should be hidden
Caused by failed installation.
4. Getting rid of the "installation failed" after installing the OS
Not gonna be fixed unless you sort out the kextcache issue
5. Wait until the installation completes, then open "Install OS X Mountain Lion" from your applications folder, not from launchpad.
Isnt that the same thing? Launchpad is the applications folder in disguise

And apparently you took our files w/o our consent. :mad:

53kyle
Apr 24, 2013, 03:29 PM
Theres always a reason why i choose to let the user have a Install partition.

1. Its does the same thing as Apples "Recovery Partition"
2. It doesn't overwrite onto you're perfectly fine Lion partition.

Other notes:
1. You can't buy ML from the app store if you hava an unsupported mac.
2. iMessage & FT is working.

Caused by failed installation.

Not gonna be fixed unless you sort out the kextcache issue

Isnt that the same thing? Launchpad is the applications folder in disguise

I will edit my first post about the mac app store. I am working on getting the files hidden without getting rid of the install failed message. In launchpad it shows two versions of the installer, but not the applications folder. Finally, I couldn't get iMessage to work, it wouldn't connect to the server.

ilboso
Apr 26, 2013, 04:52 AM

thanks for your reply!

justperry
Apr 26, 2013, 05:15 AM

First, he acknowledged those were files "taken" from you, see his comment below, he even mentioned your name.

Second, I did not download 500+ MB to see what is inside but I guess manipulated files OWNED by APPLE, they are NOT your files!

The only thing he didn't do and should have is to thank you for it.

First off, I do not in any way take any credit for any files that were modded to run mountain lion on unsupported macs HackerWayne (http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=669935) and MLForAll (http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=796263) patched all of the kexts and files modded. All that I did is simplify what was already done.

53kyle
Apr 26, 2013, 01:50 PM
First, he acknowledged those were files "taken" from you, see his comment below, he even mentioned your name.

Second, I did not download 500+ MB to see what is inside but I guess manipulated files OWNED by APPLE, they are NOT your files!

The only thing he didn't do and should have is to thank you for it.

I already went through all of this on his thread. I actually agree with him that these are his files and I shouldn't have taken them without permission because he and mlforall obviously worked really hard to accomplish what they did, so I do thank him for making what I am doing possible.

ramosmax
May 1, 2013, 08:45 AM
I tested a macbook white (early 2008) last night. The installation didn't fail but encounter and error, that's what it's supposed to do? After restarts nothing happened

53kyle
May 1, 2013, 09:15 AM
I tested a macbook white (early 2008) last night. The installation didn't fail but encounter and error, that's what it's supposed to do? After restarts nothing happened

If you restart holding down the option key, there should be either be a drive labeled "EFI Boot" or whatever partition you installed it on.

ramosmax
May 1, 2013, 01:44 PM
If you restart holding down the option key, there should be either be a drive labeled "EFI Boot" or whatever partition you installed it on.

I didn't install it in a different partition, is that the only way?

53kyle
May 1, 2013, 03:52 PM
I didn't install it in a different partition, is that the only way?

I understand that you already installed mountain lion? Do you get the flashing question mark, prohibited sign? Right now, you may have to hold the option key until you boot into the os and change the startup disk from system preferences.

tpmcguire
May 19, 2013, 02:02 AM
I installed ML on my MacPro 1,1 with one of the 1st hacks that enabled you to install on unsupported macs.

This system & boot drive is to be a file server at home with all the files on other partitions/drives. Currently it is on 10.8.2 and iCloud, Facetime and iMessage are not working.

How do I upgrade to 10.8.3 and will it fix the iCloud/FT/iMessage issues?

53kyle
May 19, 2013, 02:50 AM
I installed ML on my MacPro 1,1 with one of the 1st hacks that enabled you to install on unsupported macs.

This system & boot drive is to be a file server at home with all the files on other partitions/drives. Currently it is on 10.8.2 and iCloud, Facetime and iMessage are not working.

How do I upgrade to 10.8.3 and will it fix the iCloud/FT/iMessage issues?

Ask questions on hackerwayne's thread.

tpmcguire
May 20, 2013, 12:19 AM
Ask questions on hackerwayne's thread.

I actually used this method...:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1404548

53kyle
May 20, 2013, 01:38 AM
I actually used this method...:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1404548

That is a very old thread, so either use hackerwayne's or use mine but if you use mine it may not work (I am still waiting on people to say if this does or does not work)

robi62
May 20, 2013, 04:53 AM
I might give it a go at yours
What is difference between yours and Hackerwayne????

53kyle
May 20, 2013, 05:21 PM
I might give it a go at yours
What is difference between yours and Hackerwayne????

I am trying to make mine more simple, but don't try yet because at some time soon I am going to make a new version available which will fix some bugs and take a couple of minutes instead of hours ;)

tpmcguire
May 24, 2013, 07:50 AM
I am trying to make mine more simple, but don't try yet because at some time soon I am going to make a new version available which will fix some bugs and take a couple of minutes instead of hours ;)

Do you have any eta on that?

53kyle
May 24, 2013, 09:53 AM
Do you have any eta on that?

Well, first I have to get hold of my sisters 2006 macbook, then I need to test it like a billion times, but I don't know when that will be :(

53kyle
Jun 2, 2013, 12:21 AM
Apparently dropbox has a limit on traffic and I have a free account so it will take me a bit to get the link working again (not with dropbox)