Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Before you say it, no, I don't have access to a Kill-A-Watt, and while the machine is mine, power is provided by my office.

Running a 2008 MacPro, 3.2Ghz, 16GB Ram, 4 HDD (3 7200 Spinners, 1 Crucial M4 256GB SSD). 2 superdrives. PCI cards are a Sonnet E4P eSATA card, a dual FW800 PCIe card (that I could probably pull out, nothing is hooked to it), and finally a Apple Radeon 5870. Got a few USB and FW drives hooked to the built in ports.

Been playing around in the evenings/overnight after work with mining litecoins and bitcoins. Nothing too serious as I know (at least with bitcoins) that I missed my window by a few years, but it's been fun playing in the terminal learning new stuff. So my question is:

I still have the 8800GT that came with this machine that I replaced with the 5870. I have a Molex to 6 pin adaptor, can I install the 8800 back into the machine without a monitor hooked to it for mining? (In addition to the 5870) I know it won't pump out much, but again, this is more for science then for making any money. When I mine LTC (CPU) and BTC (GPU) at the same time my machine is at 100% for both CPU and GPU & iStat menu says I'm using about 500-510W of power from "Powersupply 1". I know that's not 100% accurate tho. I can't seem to find what the 8800 needs for power, but since it needs a 6pin, plus the 75 watts from the slot, I'm guessing 150W-ish.
Any idea if running a Molex splitter -> molex-6pin adaptor from the DVD area down and over to the 8800 will decimate my power supply? I think (but also not 100%) that the MacPro 3,1 (2008) has a 900W power supply.

Any tips would be helpful. While it may work initially, I don't want long term strain on this machine as it has to last until the next MacPro is released sometime in 2017. It's run BOINC with the CPU's at 100% overnights/weekends for 4 1/2 years now already. I've stopped BOINC running while experimenting with BTC/LTC. Also been careful to blow out the case with air every few weeks, it's clean inside still.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.