Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.3:
I receive an e-mail that contains a hyperlink to somebody's Facebook profile. When I click on the link, it launches the Lloyd's TSB bank app from the UK App Store (which I have installed). This behavior is reproducible.
I have checked the URL of the link and it is a Facebook profile.

ParagJain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Only hope you haven't put any credential information for that link, if yes, time to change few passwords, especially linked to your credit cards ...

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Why would u even open a random link emailed to u?
It's not a bug...it worked perfectly...For the phisher that is. I'd change all ur passwords and get new credit cards ASAP.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Well it was an e-mail from Facebook, notifying me of a post made to a page I follow (I receive these e-mails regularly but don't usually click on any links). I confirmed that the post was in fact made on Facebook. I even clicked on the person's name in the Facebook post and it brings up their profile page.
I guess it could be phishing, but I find it hard to believe given the URL. The banking app does not automatically log in so I think my credentials are safe.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Well it was an e-mail from Facebook, notifying me of a post made to a page I follow (I receive these e-mails regularly but don't usually click on any links). I confirmed that the post was in fact made on Facebook. I even clicked on the person's name in the Facebook post and it brings up their profile page.
I guess it could be phishing, but I find it hard to believe given the URL. The banking app does not automatically log in so I think my credentials are safe.

people get emails with spoofed links all the time.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
And he's lucky that the link only launched the secure app, on other systems it probably leads to a fake version of the bank's website.

thats usually the case indeed. i always hover over embedded links in emails to see what the real URL is. i just tend to never click on one. if someone sends me a link by email, which is rare nowadays with the advent of SMS, imessage and other forms of messaging, i always reply asking them if they really sent me a link. if not, i wont click.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
If I click on the same link in the email on my iPad, it takes me to my Facebook app...just as it should.
I'm telling you, it's a legit email, the URLs are legit and I think there is a parsing bug of some sort in iOS. I don't have the same banking app installed on my iPad, but I don't think that would make a difference.

Update: Just for the hell of it I installed the same iPhone banking app (there is no iPad version) that I have on my iPhone, on my iPad. When I click on the link in the email it still takes me to Facebook on my iPad.

Last edited:

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
The OP seems to have broken the obvious rule where security is concerned.

Never, ever, open or click on links contained in unsolicited emails, texts etc. Simply delete immediately. If the message is genuine, they'll contact you again.

MrMacMack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2012
You should open the email up using a computer and mouse over the link to see what the URL is.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California

Never, ever, open or click on links contained in unsolicited emails, texts etc. Simply delete immediately. If the message is genuine, they'll contact you again.

It wasn't unsolicited. I have my Facebook e-mail notifications set up to e-mail me whenever someone posts a comment on a school page in Facebook. I receive similar e-mails to the one in question 2 or 3 times a day.

----------

Oh dear, I don't think you understand the e-mail I received. It was a notification, not a request to do anything.

----------

Who was the email from? I mean the @ Address
Like this:
notification+zrdovrqdhcrd6e@facebookmail.com
This is the email address from Facebook i get. Changed it for this post for security reasons.

The 'From' is the same on mine:
Notification+(random string)@facebookmail.com

Thanks for taking the time to comment everyone, but I can see that nobody believes it could possibly be anything other than phishing.

----------

You should open the email up using a computer and mouse over the link to see what the URL is.

Already done that - It is the URL of a Facebook profile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.