Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulCC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
Hello:
I have had this problem for a long time, but it's got to the point where I need to fix it.....

If I choose in an File Open dialog the "All my files" link on the left, the dialog shows the spinning wheel at the bottom left corner, mouse icon turns to the beachball, and the whole application becomes unresponsive. This happens on ANY application. A just had to kill a LIbreoffice session, because the beachball would not stop. A test in Preview lead to the same situation, but Preview came back in some 20 seconds.

While this is happening, the "coreservicesd" seems to be taking some 50% of an CPU core, with the application taking again close to 50%.

I am on 10.8.3, but this problem has been with me for a long time, so I do not think it is 10.8 related.

Thanks for any info/pointers.

PaulCC.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Do you have any additional internal and/or external drives connected to your Mac? If so, it means, they might probably been spun down and now have to spin up again, which causes those hangups.

And why do you need to use that "All My Files" smart search folder and not use the search field or the correct folder?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.