PDA

View Full Version : First Reviews of Samsung Galaxy S4: Great Screen, Gimmick Features, Bad Plastic Design

MacRumors
Apr 24, 2013, 08:11 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/24/first-reviews-of-samsung-galaxy-s4-great-screen-gimmick-features-bad-plastic-design/)

The reviews for the Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung's next flagship Android smartphone, are out. The company announced the device (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/14/samsung-announces-new-flagship-galaxy-s-4-competitor-to-apples-iphone/) at an event in mid-March and boasts a 5" screen, a 1080p display that Samsung calls "Full HD Super AMOLED" and more.

The overall consensus is that the Galaxy S4 is a solid upgrade over the previous S3 but that its plastic casing and minimal upgrades keep it from being great.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/04/galaxys4.pngImage via Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/24/samsung-galaxy-s-4-review/)Here is a collection of some of the early reviews:

AllThingsD (http://allthingsd.com/20130423/galaxy-s-4-is-a-good-but-not-a-great-step-up/)

- "I found Samsung's software often gimmicky, duplicative of standard Android apps, or, in some cases, only intermittently functional."
- "Its screen and camera resolution beat the iPhone 5's and I found its pictures to be slightly better than those from the Apple phone, which is nearly a year old."
- "Still, compared with the iPhone 5, with its 4-inch screen, the S 4 is 30 percent larger and 17 percent heavier."

Gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/5995291/samsung-galaxy-s4-review-better-not-best)

- "It retains the same rounded-rectangle look, with metal edges and a slippery, finger-print-trapping plastic back that looks like it belongs on a far more downmarket phone."
- "Battery performance on the S4 is among the best we've seen from smartphones this year, though it's still not anywhere near as everlasting as the*RAZR MAXX HD (http://gizmodo.com/5953893/motorola-droid-razr-hd-and-razr-maxx-hd-review-long-live-these-batteries)."
- "Sound on the S4 is another problem. It still has just one tiny, tin-can-sounding speaker on the bottom back of the phone."

Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/24/samsung-galaxy-s-4-review/?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=Feed_Classic&utm_campaign=Engadget)

- Smart Scroll, which tracks the movement of your head to scroll through pages, is a "great idea" in theory but is "frustrating for several reasons" including limited compatibility with apps and bad tracking in badly lit areas.
- "Many of [the new camera modes] are great for showing off at parties with little usefulness elsewhere, but we found ourselves using a few of them on a more regular basis."
- "In general, the GS 4 performs amazingly well, but there's a catch: when Air View and Air Gestures were enabled, we noticed the phone acting a little sluggish even in the most basic of tasks."

The Verge (http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/24/4257254/samsung-galaxy-s4-review)

- "The GS4's 5-inch, 1920 x 1080 display is big, beautiful, and seriously eye-catching."
- "Samsung's Galaxy S lineup has never wanted for power, and neither does the Galaxy S4 -- it's an impressively fast and powerful phone, capable of handling anything I threw at it."
- "For some reason, Samsung has always had trouble with screen brightness settings -- the GS4 can never seem to decide how bright its screen should be, changing suddenly and drastically often and without warning."

The Samsung Galaxy S4 launches on April 26 for AT&T and a couple of days later for T-Mobile. The 16 GB base model will retail for $200 with a two-year contract for AT&T (http://www.androidcentral.com/leaked-staples-doc-show-galaxy-s4-coming-att-april-26-t-mobile-and-verizon-later) and $149.99 down (https://explore.t-mobile.com/samsung-galaxy-s4) with monthly payments on T-Mobile's unsubsidized smartphone pricing. The device is also set to launch on Verizon and Sprint, but launch details for those carriers have yet to be announced.

Article Link: First Reviews of Samsung Galaxy S4: Great Screen, Gimmick Features, Bad Plastic Design (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/24/first-reviews-of-samsung-galaxy-s4-great-screen-gimmick-features-bad-plastic-design/)

jmthigpen
Apr 24, 2013, 08:18 AM
Bigger isn't always better.

powerslave12r
Apr 24, 2013, 08:18 AM
The overall consensus is that the Galaxy S4 is a solid upgrade over the previous S3 but that its plastic casing and minimal upgrades keep it from being great.

What?

css1323
Apr 24, 2013, 08:20 AM
I like how all the bad aspects of the phone are highlighted. Then again, this isn't Samsung Rumors, hehe.

It looks to be a powerful phone, but as usual it doesn't really live up to the hype for me. Apple will always have that "magical" and mystifying edge to put something just as cool out. Can't wait till June's WWDC.

Stella
Apr 24, 2013, 08:20 AM
I thought the display on the S4 ( having seen it first hand ) is much nicer than that of the iPhone.

Also I found the UI was very smooth and fluid, just as you'd find on the iPhone.

"Sound on the S4 is another problem. It still has just one tiny, tin-can-sounding speaker on the bottom back of the phone."

Just like the iPhone's speaker.

But... the phone is far too large IMO.

css1323
Apr 24, 2013, 08:21 AM

Daz wut she said!! *ahem*

samcraig
Apr 24, 2013, 08:22 AM
I haven't read all the reviews - just the summation on MR (so far). Tell me - is it an accurate headline that many of the reviews comment on the features being gimmicky and/or "bad plastic design"

Or is that an MR editorial comment? I only read one comment in their article that spoke to the build. Curious...

usersince86
Apr 24, 2013, 08:23 AM
If Apple's resistance to a larger screen has truly been that the quality isn't good enough, well, that's not really the case now.

So, if people truly want a larger screen (seems like many do), why not make it available. You could have two options (might be good to make the ratio the same, though, for scaling).

I have an iPhone 5 and I'm fine with the size, but I don't understand the excuses for not making a larger option available as well.

MonkeySee....
oh look, here comes the Android bandwagon. Looks full and they're all angry!!

Pechente
Is it so hard to raise the bar in manufacturing, strip the gimmicky "features" and only include the ones that make at least some sense, fit a screen that doesn’t require both hands to be used and rework TouchWiz - or better yet, ditch it altogether?

From the specs of the internals, this seems like it could have been a great Android device but there’s just too many drawbacks for me but Samsung does a great job at advertising their phones, so this thing will sell in the millions.

samcraig
Apr 24, 2013, 08:25 AM
Is it so hard to raise the bar in manufacturing, strip the gimmicky "features" and only include the ones that make at least some sense, include a screen that doesn’t require both hands and rework TouchWiz or better yet, ditch it altogether? From the specs of the internals, this seems like it could have been a great Android device.

Actually - it sounds like it is a really good device. I don't believe you are "forced" to use the "gimmicks" any more than you are "forced" to use Siri or Newstand or other Apple Apps (or Apps on any other phone for that matter)

max53389
Apr 24, 2013, 08:25 AM
Leave it to Samsung to make a high end smartphone feel cheap and gimmicky.

WillFisher
Apr 24, 2013, 08:34 AM
From all the reviews I've read, the S4, aside from the screen, seems like an S upgrade on an iPhone. It essentially looks the same as the S3, its got the same plasticy materials, all thats there is a nicer screen and better camera, all the other features seem like Siri, you may or may not use them once in a while. And if you don't, its basically a slightly better S3.

Don't get me wrong, that thing gets better Geekbench ratings than my Dads PC, its a powerhouse, I would just stick to the S3 currently, see how reviews pan out.

ChazUK
Apr 24, 2013, 08:37 AM
The HTC One looks to be a better Android proposition to me.

I'm sure Samsung will have a sales hit on their hands either way.

rans0m00
I haven't read all the reviews - just the summation on MR (so far). Tell me - is it an accurate headline that many of the reviews comment on the features being gimmicky and/or "bad plastic design"

Or is that an MR editorial comment? I only read one comment in their article that spoke to the build. Curious...

I have a Samsung Note 2 and played with the s3. I have not touched an s4 yet but I assume they are talking about the almost flexible (when it shouldn't be) plastic housing. Was thinking about the s4 and decided against it till they go the way apple and HTC have done. The plastic starts to creak after a very short time and just feels cheap. My note 2 still has plenty of room for more demands from the software so I would be surprised if the s4 was anything but overpowered. Lastly the gimmicky features... That's Samsung. Under perfect conditions they actually work pretty good but for most real world application they are something I can't rely on.

Rogifan
Leave it to Samsung to make a high end smartphone feel cheap and gimmicky.

Lets hope HTC can gain some traction here. If only they had a $12B ad budget. :(

sulpfiction
Apr 24, 2013, 08:39 AM
Boring!!

I just can't get past the cheap plastic build.

When are these other companies going to realize that build quality is just as important as performance and function?

Also too many gimmicks that are half baked and only work ideal conditions.

The S4 will sell very well, but it doesn't appeal me at all.

samcraig
Apr 24, 2013, 08:40 AM
I have a Samsung Note 2 and played with the s3. I have not touched an s4 yet but I assume they are talking about the almost flexible (when it shouldn't be) plastic housing. Was thinking about the s4 and decided against it till they go the way apple and HTC have done. The plastic starts to creak after a very short time and just feels cheap. My note 2 still has plenty of room for more demands from the software so I would be surprised if the s4 was anything but overpowered. Lastly the gimmicky features... That's Samsung. Under perfect conditions they actually work pretty good but for most real world application they are something I can't rely on.

I have no issues with my Skyrocket build. My comment was more about the published reviews though. If one article calls out the build - is it legit for another publication to imply that the "reviews" (plural) mention bad plastic design? Like I said - haven't had time to check other reviews. But I only saw that in one. Same for gimmicky software. Which in my mind is a minus - but there have always been features on my phone I've never used anyway

JaySoul
Apr 24, 2013, 08:42 AM
Dear Samsung, please buy HTC and incorporate the best of the One into your S5.

PracticalMac
Apr 24, 2013, 08:46 AM
The "small" iPhone screen is just fine, don't want to sew in an expanded pocket to hold the Galaxy (pun intended)

The one thing I really wish out of my iPhone is more battery life!
I want a fusion reactor for at least 12 hours of run time (more astronomic humor)

Jibbajabba
Apr 24, 2013, 08:47 AM
What?

So I am not the only one scratching his head about this comment ..

cheesyappleuser
Apr 24, 2013, 08:49 AM
If Apple's resistance to a larger screen has truly been that the quality isn't good enough, well, that's not really the case now.
They talk about people using the phone. The quality of the phone itself would get damaged because the phone would be too large; it's not about the technology. And, when you talk about screen sizes, think of what happened with the 17" MBP.

Apple does this every two years; why should it be different with Samsung?
And the whole market is maturing... There is still lots of room for development but don't expect the breakthroughs from previous times.

samcraig
Apr 24, 2013, 08:51 AM
Don't think so. Google wants you to sign up with a gazillion accounts when you first turn it on. I agree Newsstand is a totally useless gimmick for some though.

My skyrocket never asked me to sign up for anything. I entered my gmail.com account and that was it.

cheesyappleuser
Apr 24, 2013, 08:52 AM
My skyrocket never asked me to sign up for anything. I entered my gmail.com account and that was it.

That was your phone. But it is undeniable that you have more experience than I do; I have never set up an Android :p

photographypro
Apr 24, 2013, 08:56 AM
Some will go for the bigger screen, but I prefer a streamlined quality experience.

Some prefer a loaded GM car, and some of us prefer something more refined, even if it has less gimmicks.

The13thDoctor
Apr 24, 2013, 08:56 AM
Don't think so. Google wants you to sign up with a gazillion accounts when you first turn it on.

You haven't owned an android device before have you? You don't even have to login with your gmail account when you first set it up...Its basically the same procedure you get with a iPhone running iOS 5 or 6, cept its with your gmail account instead of your Apple ID.

MacRumorUser
Apr 24, 2013, 08:57 AM

Or let Apple buy HTC and really cause a stir in the android world by offering an Apple Android phone to beat Samsung on its own turf ;)

(Not going to happen but hey).....

In my ideal world, I'd love the HTC One design and screen and performance to be mixed with iOS 7 and Apple's great camera hardware & software...

Instead we get a finger print scanner on the same old iPhone and same old iOS (user apathy/boredom after 5 years of iPhone ownership) or a the inconsistent at best 4 megapixel/ultrapixel camera on the HTC.

No such thing as a perfect device I guess.

------------------

However back on topic. I think it all boils down to reviewer & geek apathy at this stage. Let me explain if I can...

The Samsung S4 has the same issue that reviewers will inevitably lambast the iPhone 5S for. A few new features and upgraded tech wrapped in almost identical clothing meaning that the reviewers are just a little bored and looking for change.

The 5S will likely suffer the same review critisms due to being near identical to iPhone 5 (if rumours are true) but with gimmicky hardware slapped on (fingerprint scanner - come on is ths some 1990's spy movie apple are now using as inspiration) and same old iOS but with more new software gimmicks that rarely work outside of USA (passbook - Siri for an entire year etc..).

The thing to remember though is that consumers love these devices regardless of their gimmicks or sometimes perceived as long in the tooth / over familiar software.

The S4 will be the main goto phone people who don't buy iPhones will go for and likewise the iPhone 5S despite all the critisms from reviewers and geeks on forums will sell an absolute load of devices beating sales records once again.

So yes whilst there is a lot of reviewer apathy / boredom out there. Don't think that it will make too much difference at the end of the day sales wise. These phones S4 & 5S will sell by the bucketload regardless of the inevitable critics and critism of the devices.

cheesyappleuser
Apr 24, 2013, 08:58 AM
You haven't owned an android device before have you? You don't even have to login with your gmail account when you first set it up...Its basically the same procedure you get with a iPhone running iOS 5 or 6, cept its with your gmail account instead of your Apple ID.

Yup, I said that in an earlier post mate :)

samcraig
Apr 24, 2013, 09:01 AM
That was your phone. But it is undeniable that you have more experience than I do; I have never set up an Android :p

Then why would you make the comment "Google wants you to sign up with a gazillion accounts when you first turn it on."

That's just pure FUD.

The13thDoctor
Apr 24, 2013, 09:03 AM
Yup, I said that in an earlier post mate :)

Common dude. Then don't bash on stuff that you don't really know about...its kinda what separates us from fandroids that are out there bashing the hell out of Apple, without knowing what they're talking bout yeah?

vinpages
Apr 24, 2013, 09:04 AM

Dear Apple, please buy Samsung and throw away all these cheap looking iPhones

cheesyappleuser
Apr 24, 2013, 09:06 AM
Then why would you make the comment "Google wants you to sign up with a gazillion accounts when you first turn it on."

That's just pure FUD.

You have a point. Erased it

milo
Apr 24, 2013, 09:08 AM
If one article calls out the build - is it legit for another publication to imply that the "reviews" (plural) mention bad plastic design?

All four reviews complain about the plastic design. And if you don't have time to read the reviews, maybe you should wait until you do before accusing MR of dishonesty.

All things D: "the plastic body felt a bit insubstantial to me"
Gizmodo: "a slippery, finger-print-trapping plastic back that looks like it belongs on a far more downmarket phone."
Engadget: " If you were a critic of the GS3's plastic construction, you'll be disappointed with its successor -- the company's continuing its long-standing tradition of keeping metal out of the assembly lines, building the frame, back cover and faux-chrome edges with polycarbonate. It's a similar -- though lower-grade and not machined -- type of plastic you'd enjoy on flagships like the Nokia Lumia 920 or even the HTC One X+, so it's nothing out of the ordinary for Samsung."
The verge: "Where Apple and HTC have both made beautiful, well-made, high-quality phones, the GS4 has Samsung back in the land of cheap, plasticky handsets...I don't like holding this phone, and I can't overstate how much that informs the experience of using it. It makes an awful first impression, slippery and slimy and simply unpleasant in your hand. My white review unit is completely smooth and glossy, with a subtle checkered pattern that looks textured but is neither grippy nor textured anywhere on its body. Even the silver band around the sides, which is obviously supposed to look like metal, is plastic. Everyone I showed the GS4 to frowned and wrinkled their nose as if it smelled bad, before rubbing their fingers on the back of the phone and then handing it back to me — that's the opposite of the standard reaction to HTC’s One, which everyone wants to ogle and hold. That's going to be a huge problem for Samsung, because the GS4 and One are likely to be next to each other on store shelves, and at least on first impression there's absolutely no contest between the two."

samcraig
Apr 24, 2013, 09:11 AM
I didn't accuse MR of dishonesty. I asked a question. I can see how you can confuse the two

All four reviews complain about the plastic design. And if you don't have time to read the reviews, maybe you should wait until you do before accusing MR of dishonesty.

All things D: "the plastic body felt a bit insubstantial to me"
Gizmodo: "a slippery, finger-print-trapping plastic back that looks like it belongs on a far more downmarket phone."
Engadget: " If you were a critic of the GS3's plastic construction, you'll be disappointed with its successor -- the company's continuing its long-standing tradition of keeping metal out of the assembly lines, building the frame, back cover and faux-chrome edges with polycarbonate. It's a similar -- though lower-grade and not machined -- type of plastic you'd enjoy on flagships like the Nokia Lumia 920 or even the HTC One X+, so it's nothing out of the ordinary for Samsung."
The verge: "Where Apple and HTC have both made beautiful, well-made, high-quality phones, the GS4 has Samsung back in the land of cheap, plasticky handsets...I don't like holding this phone, and I can't overstate how much that informs the experience of using it. It makes an awful first impression, slippery and slimy and simply unpleasant in your hand. My white review unit is completely smooth and glossy, with a subtle checkered pattern that looks textured but is neither grippy nor textured anywhere on its body. Even the silver band around the sides, which is obviously supposed to look like metal, is plastic. Everyone I showed the GS4 to frowned and wrinkled their nose as if it smelled bad, before rubbing their fingers on the back of the phone and then handing it back to me — that's the opposite of the standard reaction to HTC’s One, which everyone wants to ogle and hold. That's going to be a huge problem for Samsung, because the GS4 and One are likely to be next to each other on store shelves, and at least on first impression there's absolutely no contest between the two."

milo
Apr 24, 2013, 09:17 AM
is it legit for another publication to imply that the "reviews" (plural) mention bad plastic design?

You talk about implying that all articles say "bad plastic design" when only one does...which MR didn't do. And I don't really understand asking what articles say when they are right there for you to click on. If you don't have time to read them all in full, it took just seconds to open all four and search for "plastic" - went right to what you were asking about.

Kissaragi
Apr 24, 2013, 09:23 AM
I never get the hate for plastic.

mono1980
Apr 24, 2013, 09:23 AM
The HTC One has a much nicer design. Too bad the camera sucks on it. The best overall phone still seems to be the iPhone.

AxemanPhil
Apr 24, 2013, 09:25 AM
It has just occurred to me that on the current release schedule, by late 2015 Apple and Samsung's flagship phones will be the 6S and S6.

No scope for consumer confusion there.

milo
Apr 24, 2013, 09:26 AM

In this case it seems like the problem isn't just that it's plastic, it's poorly done plastic. I don't mind plastic either, but only when it's done right.

Kissaragi
Apr 24, 2013, 09:31 AM
In this case it seems like the problem isn't just that it's plastic, it's poorly done plastic. I don't mind plastic either, but only when it's done right.

Well that is a fair point, plastic can be good or bad. No excuse to do it badly on a flagship product like this.

applesith
Apr 24, 2013, 09:31 AM
The plastic! I can't consider a phone with cheap plastic like that. While I love Apple stuff, I must say the high quality materials are a huge plus for iPhone and iPad.

adildacoolset
Apr 24, 2013, 09:41 AM
People should frist see qhat the fingerprint scanner can do, and then comment on it. Up to now, it just looks ridiculous to comment on rumours.

CEmajr
Apr 24, 2013, 09:42 AM
So it's pretty much a slightly updated S3 with better hardware inside but still using the same cheap plastic exterior. HTC One seems to be the better option for those who prefer Android. Prett sure the S4 will sell more though.

Silverstring
Apr 24, 2013, 09:47 AM
...the part about the iPhone 5 being "nearly a year old".

That's pretty loose, isn't it? It's only seven months old! I'd say 10 months + is the minimum for "nearly a year".

lazard
Apr 24, 2013, 09:50 AM
So it's pretty much a slightly updated S3 with better hardware inside but still using the same cheap plastic exterior. HTC One seems to be the better option for those who prefer Android. Prett sure the S4 will sell more though.

too bad the One suffers from mediocre battery life just like it's predecessor the One X.

samcraig
Apr 24, 2013, 09:59 AM
You talk about implying that all articles say "bad plastic design" when only one does...which MR didn't do. And I don't really understand asking what articles say when they are right there for you to click on. If you don't have time to read them all in full, it took just seconds to open all four and search for "plastic" - went right to what you were asking about.

Which is why I asked. In turn - instead of insinuating ill-will - you could have just answered the question by saying "yes - the other review mention the plastic design as well."

See how that works?

alent1234
Apr 24, 2013, 10:01 AM

don't tell that to the OCD and ADD fandroids who want a new design every month

G4DP
Apr 24, 2013, 10:10 AM
Has the author of this article actually seen an S4? Or are they just taking other peoples opinions and using them to determine their own view of the S4?

If thy have had personal experience of the S4 why not just voice their own concerns.

Arn, this is piss poor journalism.

WoodNUFC
Apr 24, 2013, 10:11 AM
To me the S4 looks like a brilliant phone. Great screen, great camera, snappy etc. I also think the HTC One is stunning, and could very well be my next phone.

Unless Apple steps it up, one of these two phones will be my next smartphone (and first Android).

The competition has me excited for the future of smartphones!

slffl
Apr 24, 2013, 10:14 AM
And here come the paid Samsung shills to try and defend this pathetic device.

TMay
Apr 24, 2013, 10:19 AM
It has just occurred to me that on the current release schedule, by late 2015 Apple and Samsung's flagship phones will be the 6S and S6.

Nikon and Canon had a run of that...

vvswarup
Apr 24, 2013, 10:23 AM
We can argue about Samsung's plastic screen and refute reviewers ad nauseam. But if not anything, the reviews seem to imply that while the Samsung is a great phone, it is not the final nail in Apple's coffin that people were hyping it up to be.

samcraig
Apr 24, 2013, 10:24 AM

Who are these paid shills you speak of? And what makes the S4 a "pathetic" device?

KdParker
Apr 24, 2013, 10:29 AM
Is it so hard to raise the bar in manufacturing, strip the gimmicky "features" and only include the ones that make at least some sense, fit a screen that doesn’t require both hands to be used and rework TouchWiz - or better yet, ditch it altogether?

From the specs of the internals, this seems like it could have been a great Android device but there’s just too many drawbacks for me but Samsung does a great job at advertising their phones, so this thing will sell in the millions.

The phone is not the issue for me. Still wouldn't mind more options when it comes to screen size for the iPhone. We wil have to see what is in the pipeline for Apple this year.

apollo1444
Apr 24, 2013, 10:29 AM
the verge was portrayed as the one site with the most favorable review but in fact their video review they basically said the phone was boring, poorly made and that gimmicks where useless and annoying

ArtOfWarfare
Apr 24, 2013, 10:30 AM
I didn't realize these phones were such crap... what do fandroids see in them?

If Apple does the fingerprint scanner right, they could smoke the S4 with the 5S.

I'm imagining right now... what if you never needed to carry a key with your or enter a password or anything, because all you had to do is touch your iPhone and it would unlock whatever is yours in front of you... be it a website needing login, your phone itself, your car, your house, etc... that'd be pretty sweet.

Who are these paid shills you speak of? And what makes the S4 a "pathetic" device?

The fact it's made out of cheap plastic and that most of the new features added since the S3 are entirely worthless? Did you read these reviews and get something else out of them?

thasan
Apr 24, 2013, 10:30 AM

you mean, the samsung 'sponsored' student marketers who floods MR with biased comments? :p

Premium1
Apr 24, 2013, 10:31 AM

Well it is MR what do you expect? lol BGR who is a huge apple fanboy even loved the phone and said it felt better in hand build wise than the s3 and that is saying something coming from the guy who bashes everything non apple http://bgr.com/2013/04/24/samsung-galaxy-s4-review-448039/?utm_source=trending-widget&utm_medium=home

thasan
Apr 24, 2013, 10:32 AM

im sure there are plenty here too ;)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22166606

gatearray
Apr 24, 2013, 10:37 AM
the verge was portrayed as the one site with the most favorable review but in fact their video review they basically said the phone was boring, poorly made and that gimmicks where useless and annoying

agreed. they also said the screen was ”eye catching" particularly because reds and oranges are so overly saturated and unnatural in their color reproduction. perhaps burning your retinas with fake blown-out colors is a feature to these guys?

kinda like when you go to Best Buy and all the TVs are tweaked to the max so as to compete with the other models on the sales floor, except with a cell phone you have to take it home and live with it for the next two years.

the iPhone and iPad display have nearly 100% accurate color gamut, so they can keep their cartoon AMOLED crap, no thanks.

Millah
Apr 24, 2013, 10:39 AM

So, if people truly want a larger screen (seems like many do), why not make it available. You could have two options (might be good to make the ratio the same, though, for scaling).

I have an iPhone 5 and I'm fine with the size, but I don't understand the excuses for not making a larger option available as well.

Apples resistance to a larger screen has had nothing to do with the quality of the screen itself, it has more to do with the user experience. I think Apple's launch commercial for iPhone 5 sums up their position. A phone is a portable device. Making the screen larger for larges sake makes it less portable, less comfortable to hold, and harder to navigate the screen using your thumb.

Now, whether or not that bothers customers is a different story. I'd personally love to see a larger iPhone as an option, just so Apple has all their bases covered and the press can stop making such a big deal of larger displays being "innovation" and Apple lagging behind. If Apple wanted to, they could make the most beautiful large display (iPad retina display), but they clearly don't WANT to.

Making the display larger actually makes it easier engineering wise, because now you have all this extra space inside the enclosure and don't have to focus as hard as Apple does making components smaller while trying to fit a large battery inside.

Simplicated
Apr 24, 2013, 10:45 AM
Will not consider devices that boast AMOLED displays. Sorry.

(Waiting for the Samsung-hired troll to insidiously twist our impressions on other manufacturers, including Apple)

samcraig
Apr 24, 2013, 10:47 AM
im sure there are plenty here too ;)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22166606

I would have no doubt that many companies engage in this activity to some degree. My question was directed at a specific individual who no doubt suspects specific members here as being paid shills. Which is why I asked my question.

Most of the time people (on here) are "implied" as shills is because they simply speak positively about a competitor and/or refute FUD. That doesn't make one a shill. Nor a paid one.

Renzatic
Apr 24, 2013, 10:50 AM

Someone made a post down in the Apple and Industry news forum about how Samsung is paying kids to hop onto messageboards to praise everything they do and bash the competition.

...so expect the shill accusations to increase over the next few.

Edit: Well...okay. You already know. I love it when I'm 15 minutes late to the party. :P

samcraig
Apr 24, 2013, 10:55 AM
Someone made a post down in the Apple and Industry news forum about how Samsung is paying kids to hop onto messageboards to praise everything they do and bash the competition.

...so expect the shill accusations to increase over the next few.

Edit: Well...okay. You already know. I love it when I'm 15 minutes late to the party. :P

No doubt that article will get linked every single time someone says something positive (or remotely positive) about Samsung too!

Tiger8
Apr 24, 2013, 10:56 AM

Blame Apple for that, in 2010 they taught us that a premium high end phone should be made of glass or aluminum.

And in my opinion if the cheaper iPhone rumor is true, Apple can do what Nokia and HTC have been doing for years: High end models: Metal / Glass, mid-range: Plastic.

Toltepeceno
Apr 24, 2013, 11:02 AM
Wait let me look, nope. Thought I was on Samsung rumors.

So we need to have these articles to feel good about having an iphone? I don't see any other reason on a mac site.

CrimsonKnight
Apr 24, 2013, 11:03 AM
The GS4 is not really a major upgrade over the GS3. If you are looking for a bigger screen and better build quality, I would go with the HTC One.

TMay

http://techcrunch.com/tag/htc/

Plenty more articles like those.

More of Samsung being Samsung...

KdParker
Dear Apple, please buy Samsung and throw away all these cheap looking iPhones

Newbie.....

samcraig
Apr 24, 2013, 11:08 AM
http://techcrunch.com/tag/htc/

Plenty more articles like those.

More of Samsung being Samsung...

See my comments above.

linux2mac
Apr 24, 2013, 11:14 AM
"we noticed the phone acting a little sluggish even in the most basic of tasks."

No surprise here. iPhone has been solid from the start in 2007. I have had an iPhone since it's debut and it was the iPhone that paved the way for my transition to the Apple ecosystem. "It just works!"

Kissaragi
Apr 24, 2013, 11:14 AM
It seems its basically the s3s, and thats fine really. The s3 was a good phone and extremely popular.

If I were to go android id be all over the gorgeous Sony experia Z tho.

Porco
Apr 24, 2013, 11:17 AM
It's good it has a big screen for when your eyeballs will hurt from scrolling.

Plutonius
Apr 24, 2013, 11:19 AM
We can argue about Samsung's plastic screen and refute reviewers ad nauseam. But if not anything, the reviews seem to imply that while the Samsung is a great phone, it is not the final nail in Apple's coffin that people were hyping it up to be.

I'm not sure which people were claiming that. Everyone has a different idea of what they expect their phone to be like so I can't see any phone manufacturer eliminating their competition.

swagi
Apr 24, 2013, 11:20 AM
The fact it's made out of cheap plastic and that most of the new features added since the S3 are entirely worthless? Did you read these reviews and get something else out of them?

I really don't see your point in bashing "plastic". First of all they are using polycarbonate which is a de facto standard. Second - owning the S3 for nearly a year now - I could care less about the "cheap feel".

Third - and major point - you need less energy to penetrate polycarbonate with electromagnetic waves. This means less radiation close to your ear. In effect the trend towards Aluminium enclosures isn't something to embrace IMHO.

Yes - I know Apple tries to prompt the message the antenna is on the outer rim of the enclosure. Well - do a signal reception comparison and then start talking again.

I'm all in for less radiation and more battery life. Now if Apple didn't have that destructive patent on Zirconia but actually took that to the market - then we could start talking again.

nsayer
Apr 24, 2013, 11:20 AM
Quote:
What?

In other words, the S3 was a piece of ****. The S4 is a solid upgrade from that, but that's not saying much.

samcraig
Apr 24, 2013, 11:22 AM
No surprise here. iPhone has been solid from the start in 2007. I have had an iPhone since it's debut and it was the iPhone that paved the way for my transition to the Apple ecosystem. "It just works!"

I disagree. I have had several iterations of the iPhone (including the original) and it gets/has been laggy.

No phone is immune.

----------

In other words, the S3 was a piece of ****. The S4 is a solid upgrade from that, but that's not saying much.

The S3 was a piece of crap? News to me. I don't think I've read that anywhere (but maybe here from people who have never used it).

But I get your attempt at humor.

uknowimright
Apr 24, 2013, 11:25 AM
only reviews I'd take seriously, the sites posted in the article are basically readers digest version of tech blogs

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6914/samsung-galaxy-s-4-review/

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s4-review-914.php

----------

Their main review guy seems like he came over from writing teen beat articles, that site had lots of potential when it 1st started but it's nothing more than hip right out of college blog writers somewhat into tech writing as if they are experts

TMay
Apr 24, 2013, 11:26 AM
See my comments above.

I have never considered you a paid shill.

samcraig
Apr 24, 2013, 11:30 AM
I have never considered you a paid shill.

Thanks. Nor I, you :)

flottenheimer
Apr 24, 2013, 11:33 AM
No matter if you prefer 3.5, 4 or 5 inches, 1920 x 1080 (standard full HD!) in 5-inches is pretty awesome.

Competition is a good thing.

cdmoore74
Apr 24, 2013, 11:37 AM
If you guys are worried about material quality and don't use cases buy a HTC One. Otherwise wait for the Note 3 or see what Motorola is going to release. Bottom line is that all will be better than a iPhone 5s.

thasan
Apr 24, 2013, 11:46 AM
I would have no doubt that many companies engage in this activity to some degree. My question was directed at a specific individual who no doubt suspects specific members here as being paid shills. Which is why I asked my question.

Most of the time people (on here) are "implied" as shills is because they simply speak positively about a competitor and/or refute FUD. That doesn't make one a shill. Nor a paid one.

the difference is: its not known. samsung got caught so its proven. in fact, they admitted it AFTER they got caught.

there are many individuals here in MACR who writes ONLY positive comments about competitors irrespective of what happens. what do you think of them? constructive? or do they look like 1) they have nothing to do so they get pleasure from antagonising many blind fanboys who come here without reason 2) they get paid from this 3) other possibilities.
forum rules otherwise i would have named the ones i have seen over the last few years. there are plenty! curious that a large % of these 'shills' have registered in 2011 and later. im not implying anything but it doesnt take a brain to make a link.

samcraig
Apr 24, 2013, 11:49 AM
the difference is: its not known. samsung got caught so its proven. in fact, they admitted it AFTER they got caught.

there are many individuals here in MACR who writes ONLY positive comments about competitors irrespective of what happens. what do you think of them? constructive? or do they look like 1) they have nothing to do so they get pleasure from antagonising many blind fanboys who come here without reason 2) they get paid from this 3) other possibilities.
forum rules otherwise i would have named the ones i have seen over the last few years. there are plenty! curious that a large % of these 'shills' have registered in 2011 and later. im not implying anything but it doesnt take a brain to make a link.

And I would argue that many of the people who are directly or indirectly called out for being on someone's payroll are nothing of the sort. Just dissenting opinions.

Eazon
Apr 24, 2013, 11:53 AM
But you got to give it up to Samsung. They are smart to get the s4 out the door ASAP. Months before anyone can even get a glimpse of the iphone 5s. That way their numbers will look a lot better if the s4 were to be sold along side with the 5s.

flottenheimer
Apr 24, 2013, 11:58 AM
If you guys are worried about material quality and don't use cases buy a HTC One. Otherwise wait for the Note 3 or see what Motorola is going to release. Bottom line is that all will be better than a iPhone 5s.

I happen to prefer iOS over Android.
So I'd much rather have even a 5 (which I do) than a S4, HTC One or whatever.

JoEw
Apr 24, 2013, 12:07 PM
So try to make all those "features" sound good enough so you get stuck on a 2 year contract only to find out later they don't really live up to the hype?

TMay
Apr 24, 2013, 12:08 PM
But you got to give it up to Samsung. They are smart to get the s4 out the door ASAP. Months before anyone can even get a glimpse of the iphone 5s. That way their numbers will look a lot better if the s4 were to be sold along side with the 5s.

Probably true, but equally true is that Samsung wants to crush any "upstart" Android OEM's like HTC and Sony. In this, I think that Samsung's "modest upgrade" left the door open, albeit a difficult one to exploit one for HTC especially because of manufacturing constraints.

I suspect that Samsung's marketing budget will continue to win the day.

sza
Apr 24, 2013, 12:10 PM
The galaxy s4 is actually pretty amazing except for the OS runs on it.

WoodNUFC
Apr 24, 2013, 12:11 PM

Seeing as how this was posted directly after my post I have to ask: were referring to me?

If so, I can assure you that I am no shill. I really do enjoy technology and the last few Android phones (Note 2, Nexus 4, HTC One, S4 et al) have really started to pique my curiosity.

cdmoore74
Apr 24, 2013, 12:16 PM

Don't forget about the Note 3. Hit them early with the S4 and mop up with the Note 3. To bad Apple does not implement the same game plan.

samcraig
Apr 24, 2013, 12:20 PM
So try to make all those "features" sound good enough so you get stuck on a 2 year contract only to find out later they don't really live up to the hype?

Don't most carriers/stores allow a 30 day return window?

shurcooL
Apr 24, 2013, 12:21 PM
GLBenchmark Egypt 2.5 HD Offscreen (fps)
Galaxy S III - 15 fps
Galaxy S 4 - 39 fps
That's freaking awesome.

I love how mobile device CPU and GPU performance seem to double every year (while more or less maintaining the same battery life). If the next iOS devices are twice as fast yet again, I can't wait to see the apps that take advantage.

Chris Blount
Apr 24, 2013, 12:25 PM
Steve Jobs had it right. Small is for phones. Big is for tablets.

The bigger Samsung makes their phones, the more turned off I get. If Samsung had their way, we would all be walking around with iPad size phones to our ears.

Keep is small, durable and functional.

samcraig
Apr 24, 2013, 12:35 PM

The bigger Samsung makes their phones, the more turned off I get. If Samsung had their way, we would all be walking around with iPad size phones to our ears.

Then don't buy one?

Do you really think the iPhone will stay 4" forever? Further - do you think the iPhone's size is more about what is "better" vs what would cause more pain points because of app scaling, etc/fragmentation?

Personally - I think the latter is more the reason.

shurcooL
Apr 24, 2013, 12:36 PM

It's a personal preference. I'm already walking around with an iPad mini LTE as my sole mobile device, and I'm extremely happy with it. My previous device was an iPhone 3GS, and I felt the screen was too small for most things that I wanted to do on it (mostly to surf the web).

lucas107
Apr 24, 2013, 12:42 PM
No one says the build is poor only that to them the plastic feels cheap. feeling cheap and being poorly made are very different things. my old plastic s2 has taken more off a **** kicking without a case then anything I've seen before and it still looks and works great. so yes MR is adding the word bad to the headline since it was never said to be bad in any review.

Tiger8
Apr 24, 2013, 12:43 PM
don't most carriers/stores allow a 30 day return window?

Smartass
Apr 24, 2013, 12:52 PM
why oh why are these galaxy phones soooo damn ugly? and that plastic makes em feel so cheap. Yuk. Currently HTC One is the ONE phone to go and buy in my opinion...

thasan
Apr 24, 2013, 01:01 PM
And I would argue that many of the people who are directly or indirectly called out for being on someone's payroll are nothing of the sort. Just dissenting opinions.
i agree. the keyword here is.... 'the rest' of those many ;)

samcraig
Apr 24, 2013, 01:03 PM

Probably enough time to not feel "duped" into buying something. By 14 days you can determine if features are effective or not.

Lord knows we have enough people fully judging a phone (on here) in a matter of minutes of usage ;)

gnasher729
Apr 24, 2013, 01:14 PM
Thanks. Nor I, you :)

In the end, there are very few people who post intelligently enough that anyone would consider paying them. :D

Do you really think the iPhone will stay 4" forever? Further - do you think the iPhone's size is more about what is "better" vs what would cause more pain points because of app scaling, etc/fragmentation?

If I was running Apple, I would release a cheap, plastic, 5" phone for those who want a big cheap phone, a 4" phone at the highest possible quality, and a small phone, something like the iPod Nano but as a phone, with limited features at a low price. To educate the public that iPhone 5 is the best, 5" is cheap and cheesy (but you can buy a 5" iPhone if you want), and that a _small_ phone is actually nice if you use it as a phone + music player, not as a general computer.

No idea if that would be profitable, but that's why I'm not running Apple :-(

SnowLeopard2008
Apr 24, 2013, 01:18 PM
Samsung's Galaxy S4 is exactly like the S3 before it. Gimmicky features that don't work reliably, cheap materials, poor build quality and everything geared toward filling up a spec sheet and nothing else.

I'd rather get something like Sony's Xperia Z, HTC One or Motorola's RAZR. I don't think hardware specs matter that much anymore. Most of the apps we use aren't CPU/GPU intensive. Except for games and even then we don't really need octa cores. But sadly, Samsung focuses on hardware specs. More RAM, more cores, more megapixels, more "screen", more MHz, more gimmicky features that don't work.

Renzatic
Apr 24, 2013, 01:20 PM
I disagree. I have had several iterations of the iPhone (including the original) and it gets/has been laggy.

No phone is immune.

I'll back this up. I was just now doing a search in the App Store on my iPad, and it froze up on me for a good 5 seconds.

While some things can be better than others, nothing out there is perfect. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Chris Blount
Apr 24, 2013, 01:24 PM
Then don't buy one?

Personally - I think the latter is more the reason. Maybe but facts are facts. The iPhone is primarily a PHONE... hence the name. All other functions should be secondary to it's primary function. The moment it becomes large, it loses is useablity as a phone and should be called something else.

samcraig
Apr 24, 2013, 01:29 PM
In the end, there are very few people who post intelligently enough that anyone would consider paying them. :D

If I was running Apple, I would release a cheap, plastic, 5" phone for those who want a big cheap phone, a 4" phone at the highest possible quality, and a small phone, something like the iPod Nano but as a phone, with limited features at a low price. To educate the public that iPhone 5 is the best, 5" is cheap and cheesy (but you can buy a 5" iPhone if you want), and that a _small_ phone is actually nice if you use it as a phone + music player, not as a general computer.

No idea if that would be profitable, but that's why I'm not running Apple :-(

Why would you (Apple) need to make the 5" cheap? Why not simply make various phone sizes the same way you currently make phones. To intentionally skew people? Doesn't sound like a smart business model. Again- I don't think screen size itself is the issue. It's the ramifications on the app store.

----------

Maybe but facts are facts. The iPhone is primarily a PHONE... hence the name. All other functions should be secondary to it's primary function. The moment it becomes large, it loses is useablity as a phone and should be called something else.

And yet I'd love to see a study on how many people use their smart phones as PHONES (as you say).

I know I don't. Not NEARLY as much as I did when I had a dumb or feature phone. So much is done with email, IM, txt, etc that actual calls have (for me and others I imagine) become secondary.

That being said - again - my experience - the iPhone (up until the 4) for ME (personally again) has had the worst radio/call experience compared to any other phones I've owned. More dropped calls, echos, digital loss, unable to complete calls, etc.

Note I didn't say the iPhone is BAD or the worst device out there. I said that of all the phones I've owned - it has performed (as a phone) less than others.

Tinmania
Apr 24, 2013, 01:31 PM
Maybe but facts are facts. The iPhone is primarily a PHONE... hence the name. All other functions should be secondary to it's primary function. The moment it becomes large, it loses is useablity as a phone and should be called something else.
It's delusional to think the iPhone is primarily a phone. Many people rarely use the phone aspect of it.

Go to http://www.apple.com/iphone/ and you will have a hard time finding Apple themselves touting anything to do with using it as a phone.

Michael

iMikeT
Apr 24, 2013, 02:02 PM
I all ready knew the S4 was garbage without having to read about it.

Karma*Police
Apr 24, 2013, 02:15 PM
So basically, another month, another big Android phone. Why some reviewers are so gaga with large screens is beyond me. IMO, and the opinion of nearly all my co-workers (we recently got upgraded to the new HTC with a 4.7" display), the benefits of the larger screen are greatly outweighed by the bulky size and inability to use it with one hand. Android's not-so-well thought out UI doesn't help either, like forcing users to drag an icon to the top of the screen to remove it from the home screen... You need hands the size of a pro basketball player to do that with one hand on these larger displays.

redhawk87
Apr 24, 2013, 02:18 PM
I understand peoples frustration over the gimmicky features of the device but lets face it. Gimmicks, if executed right, can help sell the device. I would consider Photobooth for Mac a Gimmick, but it showcased the fact that all Macs came with a webcam and you would not believe how many people I would see in the apple store taking pictures of themselves or "steal" my mac to take weird pictures of themselves. Same can be said about Siri. I thought of Siri as a gimmick when it first came out but then you hear of all the witty stuff siri will say and you suddenly wanna try her out. Gimmicks are still gimmicks but they do serve a purpose if executed right.

camnchar
Apr 24, 2013, 02:19 PM
I love all of the criticisms that it's just an "evolutionary step" -- of course it's evolutionary. It won't be revolutionary until about a year after Apple puts out something revolutionary.

srxtr
Apr 24, 2013, 02:34 PM

Daz wut she said!! *ahem*

You mean, that's what HE said

dazed
Apr 24, 2013, 02:40 PM
Most people will put it in a case so the cheap plastic feel is rather a moot point for most.

I haven't tried android for years. Be interesting to see how it's progressed though.

Switchback666
Apr 24, 2013, 02:42 PM
I didn't realize these phones were such crap... what do fandroids see in them?

If Apple does the fingerprint scanner right, they could smoke the S4 with the 5S.

I'm imagining right now... what if you never needed to carry a key with your or enter a password or anything, because all you had to do is touch your iPhone and it would unlock whatever is yours in front of you... be it a website needing login, your phone itself, your car, your house, etc... that'd be pretty sweet.

So kind of like the 4s to iphone 5 ? All features worthless and the phone feels cheap and fragile now ?

----------

http://www.redmondpie.com/galaxy-s4-benchmarks-reveal-it-boasts-the-fastest-gaming-graphics-in-smartphone-market/

Renzatic
Apr 24, 2013, 02:54 PM
Cheap plastic. Gawww....

I'm not saying this about all hardcore Apple fans, but some of you come across as the type of people who'd pay $100 for a glass of water because someone told you it came from a 10,000 year old iceberg.

"What does it taste like"?

"...hmm. *swish* *swish* *swish. Tastes pretty much like water".

"So why'd you pay $100 for it"?

"Cuz it's good water I paid a premium for. Now that I've had this, I'll never go back to tap".

SgtPepper12
Apr 24, 2013, 02:54 PM
Then don't buy one?

Personally - I think the latter is more the reason.
I do think Apple is staying with the screen size for ergonomic reasons. I don't really understand the claim anyway. It is easier to build a larger phone. I always thought this is pretty obvious. It's easier to advertise ("hurr, we got the larger screen, x inches versus y inches", better specs etc), it's easier to design (the Samsung Galaxy S has 50% more volume, more space for battery, cpu, gpu, ram, heat dissipation etc) and easier to manufacture. Fitting comparable hardware into a much smaller casing is actually quite an accomplishment which really shows just how much better Apple's engineers are.
I always thought this was a very overlooked fact.

Switchback666
Apr 24, 2013, 02:56 PM
Cheap plastic. Gawww....

I'm not saying this about all hardcore Apple fans, but some of you come across as the type of people who'd pay $100 for a glass of water because someone told you it came from a 10,000 year old iceberg.

"Cuz it's good water I paid a premium for. Now that I've had this, I'll never go back to tap".

Pretty much this.

samcraig
Apr 24, 2013, 03:00 PM
Cheap plastic. Gawww....

You left out the part where most people add various ingredients to the water which make the original taste moot.

IE - many people put a case on their iPhone or Android device. So as far as what the phone is made out of - how much does it really matter.

In fact - I would think thinner/lighter would rule given that you're going to add thickness and weight with a case ;)

----------

I do think Apple is staying with the screen size for ergonomic reasons. I don't really understand the claim anyway. It is easier to build a larger phone. I always thought this is pretty obvious. It's easier to advertise ("hurr, we got the larger screen, x inches versus y inches", better specs etc), it's easier to design (the Samsung Galaxy S has 50% more volume, more space for battery, cpu, gpu, ram, heat dissipation etc) and easier to manufacture. Fitting comparable hardware into a much smaller casing is actually quite an accomplishment which really shows just how much better Apple's engineers are.
I always thought this was a very overlooked fact.

Given the specs of the S3 vs S4 (size/weight/battery life/screen/etc) - I would say that Samsung has done an equally good job on the internals and taking advantage of engineering to get it all in.

I stand by my belief that a lot of Apple's delay into larger screens has more to do with disruption of their ecosystem than anything else.

ArtOfWarfare
Apr 24, 2013, 03:14 PM
So kind of like the 4s to iphone 5 ? All features worthless and the phone feels cheap and fragile now ?

The iPhone doesn't feel cheap or fragile? You can look up the drop test videos from various Android websites - they tend to show that the iPhones put up with more abuse than the Galaxy line of phones.

The iPhone 5 has LTE and a taller screen, so the upgrade from the 4S to the 5 was noticeable. The S4 doesn't seem to have much the S3 didnt.

Renzatic
Apr 24, 2013, 03:18 PM
You left out the part where most people add various ingredients to the water which make the original taste moot.

Water flavoring is just a gimmicky feature that doesn't work reliably. I mean who wants lime in their water? It's stupid.

IE - many people put a case on their iPhone or Android device. So as far as what the phone is made out of - how much does it really matter.

In fact - I would think thinner/lighter would rule given that you're going to add thickness and weight with a case ;)

There are people like me who decide to forego cases for portability and sleekness.

...though I do have to chuckle a bit when I see all these people talk about buying an iPhone because it's the thinnest, lightest, most compact phone on the market, then immediately slap it into an Otterbox Defender that makes it roughly the size of the larger Android phones.

"I wanted something I could easily fit in my pocket. I got that with my iPhone...which is now embedded inside this giant brick of rubber and plastic".

samcraig
Apr 24, 2013, 03:21 PM
Water flavoring is just a gimmicky feature that doesn't work reliably. I mean who wants lime in their water? It's stupid.

There are people like me who decide to forego cases for portability and sleekness.

...though I do have to chuckle a bit when I see all these people talk about buying an iPhone because it's the thinnest, lightest, most compact phone on the market, then immediately slap it into an Otterbox Defender that makes it roughly the size of the larger Android phones.

"I wanted something I could easily fit in my pocket. I got that with my iPhone...which is now embedded inside this giant brick of rubber and plastic".

...exactly my point. Or at least part of it.

Chris Blount
Apr 24, 2013, 03:32 PM
It's delusional to think the iPhone is primarily a phone. Many people rarely use the phone aspect of it.
Delusional??? Geesh, you people will argue anything. It's called an iPhone!!! It's OK for people to use the other functions more but it certainly is delusional to think that it's primary function is NOT a phone.

Besides, last I looked you need a cell connection to do just about anything ouside of a wifi hot spot.

spoonie1972
Apr 24, 2013, 03:34 PM
do any of these 1080P phones offer video in?

would be great to use one as an DVI/hdmi display in a pinch.

Chris Blount
Apr 24, 2013, 03:36 PM
the benefits of the larger screen are greatly outweighed by the bulky size and inability to use it with one hand. This is my major beef as well. As soon as I need to use two hands, the device is already handicapped. Two handed operation and larger screens are what tablets are for.

Renzatic
Apr 24, 2013, 03:43 PM
...exactly my point. Or at least part of it.

I think the biggest issue is that people greatly exaggerate the size of the larger Android phones. You can't go a page in one of these threads without someone talking about how they're too big to fit in their pocket, or hold with one hand, or blah blah blah. You've heard it all before.

Really, they're not that big. I could easily fit a 5 inch phone in my pocket. They're about roughly the width of your average wallet, and only a slight bit taller than the iPhone 5. They're bigger, sure, but not by vast amounts.

Unless someone's a hipster wearing skinny jeans about two sizes too small for them, everyone can fit a Galaxy S4 in their pants pocket and still have room to spare.

edit: case in point...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3018396/GS4iP5.jpg

Tinmania
Apr 24, 2013, 04:17 PM
Delusional??? Geesh, you people will argue anything. It's called an iPhone!!! It's OK for people to use the other functions more but it certainly is delusional to think that it's primary function is NOT a phone.

Besides, last I looked you need a cell connection to do just about anything ouside of a wifi hot spot.
Yes, delusional to think of it as primarily a phone. Now you are getting hung up on a name, which was chosen more than half a decade ago. Would be just as silly of me to argue an iPod touch is primarily a "pod."

By the way, you might want to research just how different "cell connections" are nowadays compared to 2007. It's just data. Do keep up.

Michael

twoodcc
Apr 24, 2013, 04:41 PM
i'm seriously considering buying this. i do love my iPhone 5, but i'm growing tired of iOS and want a bigger screen

rhinosrcool
Apr 24, 2013, 04:45 PM
Apples resistance to a larger screen has had nothing to do with the quality of the screen itself, it has more to do with the user experience. I think Apple's launch commercial for iPhone 5 sums up their position. A phone is a portable device. Making the screen larger for larges sake makes it less portable, less comfortable to hold, and harder to navigate the screen using your thumb.

Making the display larger actually makes it easier engineering wise, because now you have all this extra space inside the enclosure and don't have to focus as hard as Apple does making components smaller while trying to fit a large battery inside.

Ah, you might want to take a look at what Cook, just yesterday, said. It has a lot to do about screen quality and engineering; at least, that's his spin.

Personally, unless they do make a larger screened iPhone, Apple's stock is going to continue to dip. Also, iOS 7 had better be done well.

Renzatic
Apr 24, 2013, 04:52 PM
i'm seriously considering buying this. i do love my iPhone 5, but i'm growing tired of iOS and want a bigger screen

If you're going for an Android phone, get the HTC One. From what I hear, everything about it is superior to the GS4.

Switchback666
Apr 24, 2013, 04:54 PM
The iPhone doesn't feel cheap or fragile? You can look up the drop test videos from various Android websites - they tend to show that the iPhones put up with more abuse than the Galaxy line of phones.

The iPhone 5 has LTE and a taller screen, so the upgrade from the 4S to the 5 was noticeable. The S4 doesn't seem to have much the S3 didnt.

LTE was big ? And a taller screen ? The iphone 5 does feel cheap and fragile imo, thats the biggest difference from the 4/4s wich feel very solid and good on the hand.

The gs4 have a bigger screen than the gs3 while keeping the same size and making the device thinner :eek:

Im posting from a ipad mini and i had to buy a case for it to make it more bulky and have better grip, im tired of the industry making this things thinner and lighter.

Kissaragi
Apr 24, 2013, 04:59 PM
Im posting from a ipad mini and i had to buy a case for it to make it more bulky and have better grip, im tired of the industry making this things thinner and lighter.

Did you miss the bigger ipad available next to it? :confused:

Switchback666
Apr 24, 2013, 05:04 PM
Did you miss the bigger ipad available next to it? :confused:

:confused: had an ipad 2 and wanted a small tablet, your point ? A good case with nice grip solves the problem.....

Kissaragi
Apr 24, 2013, 05:12 PM
:confused: had an ipad 2 and wanted a small tablet, your point ? A good case with nice grip solves the problem.....

You buy the thinner lighter version of a product then come on here complaining about thinner and lighter products was my point.

Tones2
Apr 24, 2013, 05:19 PM
If you're going for an Android phone, get the HTC One. From what I hear, everything about it is superior to the GS4.

HTC One - Superior aesthetics but no replaceable battery, no expandable memory, and bad battery life

I'll take the tradeoff of a plasticy build ANY day over the lack of memory expandability, replaceable battery and great batery life. These are extremely important features that I use EVERY day. I stick the phone in a case anyway, so what's the big deal about the plastic?

iGrip
Apr 24, 2013, 05:29 PM

Only people who wear clown pants could fit something like that into their pockets. And unless you have hands that could palm a medicine ball, you need to use two hands just to hold it. Using it to make a phone call makes you look microencephalic.

Its THAT big!

/s

----------

The HTC One looks to be a better Android proposition to me.

It looks great, but no SD card = no sale for me.

Chris Blount
Apr 24, 2013, 05:46 PM
Yes, delusional to think of it as primarily a phone. Now you are getting hung up on a name, which was chosen more than half a decade ago. Would be just as silly of me to argue an iPod touch is primarily a "pod."

By the way, you might want to research just how different "cell connections" are nowadays compared to 2007. It's just data. Do keep up.

Oh please! Talk about being hung up on the name. I meant the term "cell" as simply a name to represent the connection to the phone.

Also, what the hell difference does it make if the phone was named more than a half decade ago? The functionality hasn't changed all that much. It's still a phone plus all of the extra "smart" features.

Done with you. Seeya

lucas107
Apr 24, 2013, 05:48 PM
HTC One - Superior aesthetics but no replaceable battery, no expandable memory, and bad battery life

I'll take the tradeoff of a plasticy build ANY day over the lack of memory expandability, replaceable battery and great batery life. These are extremely important features that I use EVERY day. I stick the phone in a case anyway, so what's the big deal about the plastic?

out of the 8 or so reviews I read on the HTC one never did I read bad battery life. average with an easy day of moderate use is the general consensus

marksman
Apr 24, 2013, 05:50 PM
Fisher Price S1

Tinmania
Apr 24, 2013, 05:52 PM
Oh please! Talk about being hung up on the name. I meant the term "cell" as simply a name to represent the connection to the phone.

Also, what the hell difference does it make if the phone was named more than a half decade ago? The functionality hasn't changed all that much. It's still a phone plus all of the extra "smart" features.

Done with you. Seeya
Go right on believing that.... as the world around you is looking at and interacting with, yet not talking on, their "phones." :rolleyes:

Michael

marksman
Apr 24, 2013, 05:59 PM

Kudos for just figuring that out. It is funny

maxwelltech
Apr 24, 2013, 06:01 PM
Good phone, but I would pick the HTC One over the Galaxy S4. That aluminum unibody design just feels more premium than the S4.

marksman
Apr 24, 2013, 06:05 PM
Has the author of this article actually seen an S4? Or are they just taking other peoples opinions and using them to determine their own view of the S4?

If thy have had personal experience of the S4 why not just voice their own concerns.

Arn, this is piss poor journalism.

Did you just stumble into Mac rumors, sign up and then make thst post?

A key, if not primary element, of Mac rumors for many, many, many, many years is compiling reviews, information and rumors from other sources and sharing them their readers.

Review synopsis like these are very common and very appreciated by a large number of Mac rumor members. I have no desire to go around and hunt down five reviews for a product of only moderate interest. They do it for us.

Seriously next time think/read more and post less.

samcraig
Apr 24, 2013, 06:07 PM
This is my major beef as well. As soon as I need to use two hands, the device is already handicapped. Two handed operation and larger screens are what tablets are for.

I agree. I've never felt that way about my Skyrocket though which has a 4.6" screen. I can operate easily in one hand. So can my wife - who (now) has an HTC One +. And she doesn't have large hands. But if it was a case of requiring two hands - I would probably pass too. So the note is probably not for me. But a 5" phone - well within reason.

Good phone, but I would pick the HTC One over the Galaxy S4. That aluminum unibody design just feels more premium than the S4.

I think the iPhone 5, HTC One and S4 are all great phones. Both the iPhone and HTC One definitely have more of a premium feel to them. If that's your deciding factor - it makes sense to go with either. Personally - premium "feel" to me is less important than functionality in terms of features and benefits. I'm also one of those people that puts their phone in a case - so what it looks like/feels like naked is less important to me for that reason alone. I care more about what the phone does vs aesthetics of the hardware.

marksman
Apr 24, 2013, 06:08 PM

It would weird to only use one nail to keep a coffin closed anyways. Would let the zombies out.

Renzatic
Apr 24, 2013, 06:11 PM
It's not about the premium aluminiumness of the One, so much as the better UI, build quality, and camera. I've never been a huge fan of Touchwiz, and always thought HTC did better things with Android. Even without a replaceable battery or an SD card slot, the One is a better phone overall to me.

Also, Chris Blount, Tinmania's right. Making calls is hardly the raison d'etre (fancy word +100 internets) for smartphones these days. They're just one small feature among many. I'd venture to say more people use them for portable internet, office tasks, and games than they do for making phone calls.

marksman
Apr 24, 2013, 06:13 PM
agreed. they also said the screen was ”eye catching" particularly because reds and oranges are so overly saturated and unnatural in their color reproduction. perhaps burning your retinas with fake blown-out colors is a feature to these guys?

kinda like when you go to Best Buy and all the TVs are tweaked to the max so as to compete with the other models on the sales floor, except with a cell phone you have to take it home and live with it for the next two years.

the iPhone and iPad display have nearly 100% accurate color gamut, so they can keep their cartoon AMOLED crap, no thanks.

On perhaps my first and only serious post in this thread, earlier posters mentioned that Samsung has proven you can do big screens all that went through my head was AMOLED AMOLED AMOLED AMOLED.

Samsung's biggest issue is not the size or the resolution but that the underlying technology for the phone display is decidedly inferior and seemingly always will be.

twoodcc
Apr 24, 2013, 06:15 PM

i am considering the htc one. however, i'm on verizon. and who knows when or if it'll be on verizon

JAT
Apr 24, 2013, 06:19 PM

Intelligence would be the last character trait I would want in one of my paid shills.

marksman
Apr 24, 2013, 06:21 PM
It's good it has a big screen for when your eyeballs will hurt from scrolling.

What happens to the screen when watching porn? Does it explode from rapid eye movement.

Lancer
Apr 24, 2013, 06:23 PM
There was an interview on the news here the other night with some guy from Samsung and you could tell it was slanted to their favour the the reporter saying Apples dominance has been reduced because it's stocks have fallen, but no mention of the billions of cash Apple has or the fact the iPhone is still one of the most popular phones on the market.

The S4 might have some technical advantages over the iPhone but is it the phone people want? I suspect more people still want an iPhone even with the smaller screen. Heck I still use a 3Gs but will be finally upgrading later this year, just waiting on Apple to deliver the 5s.

marksman
Apr 24, 2013, 06:59 PM

How much you paid to say that?

As one who knows a lot about the paid posting industry I say three cents. That would be okay for an English as their second language worker in a third world country but if you live in the first or second world and speak English natively you really should be doing a better job.

----------

This , l

----------

This , like using AMOLED screens, is another factor that is not properly mentioned. Because Samsung only makes hardware there is zero software relevancy to a new hardware release (well it might be able to run the latest sweet tooth version of android in the next six months). To me the synchronization between os and hardware is important and all android vendors who don't get the nexus scepter suffer greatly from this

I have no doubt Samsung is working on their own android fork, their own os, and seeing what they can do with windows as the days of google android will likely be winding down in the next 24 months. Any primary android vendor not well on their way with an android escape plan is going to have huge problems.

----------

Go to http://www.apple.com/iphone/ and you will have a hard time finding Apple themselves touting anything to do with using it as a phone.

Michael

Except the phone part in the name obviously/

----------

I don't get this thought process. It would make sense if these bigger android phones were as durable as the iPhone in an otterbox defender. Having a smaller base product means the ultra protected product is smaller so it still remains extremely important.

By your thought process, an iPhone with defender case is the same size as an android phone but indestructible. Why would anyone ever buy an android phone in thst case.

The whole irony of using a case on an iPhone is lost when most android devices are less sturdy to begin with...

----------

This seems to be a common refrain and is one of the few benefits of being an android user. You don't have to get stuck with the next generation of Samsung phone. If htc makes a better phone it is easy to switch because the os is the same.

So from that standpoint it seems the s4 is failing in that regard and that really should be a bigger issue than how it stacks up against the iPhone.

----------

There was an interview on the news here the other night with some guy from Samsung and you could tell it was slanted to their favour the the reporter saying Apples dominance has been reduced because it's stocks have fallen, but no mention of the billions of cash Apple has or the fact the iPhone is still one of the most popular phones on the market.

The S4 might have some technical advantages over the iPhone but is it the phone people want? I suspect more people still want an iPhone even with the smaller screen. Heck I still use a 3Gs but will be finally upgrading later this year, just waiting on Apple to deliver the 5s.
The problem with anyone using a

----------

The problem with anyone using apple's stock price as a sign of their health is their stock is seriously undervalued.

In a proper valuation it is 50%-100% below what it shouid be. The problem is when a lot of people try to use stock price to argue about specific products they don't understand what effects the stock price especially in the long term.

Switchback666
Apr 24, 2013, 07:01 PM
You buy the thinner lighter version of a product then come on here complaining about thinner and lighter products was my point.

The ipad mini is the "lighter and thinner" version of the ipad ? :confused: excuse me i though it was the small version :rolleyes:

The force is strong....

Tinmania
Apr 24, 2013, 07:03 PM
How much you paid to say that?

As one who knows a lot about the paid posting industry I say three cents. That would be okay for an English as their second language worker in a third world country but if you live in the first or second world and speak English natively you really should be doing a better job.

----------

This , l

----------

This , like using AMOLED screens, is another factor that is not properly mentioned. Because Samsung only makes hardware there is zero software relevancy to a new hardware release (well it might be able to run the latest sweet tooth version of android in the next six months). To me the synchronization between os and hardware is important and all android vendors who don't get the nexus scepter suffer greatly from this

I have no doubt Samsung is working on their own android fork, their own os, and seeing what they can do with windows as the days of google android will likely be winding down in the next 24 months. Any primary android vendor not well on their way with an android escape plan is going to have huge problems.

----------

Except the phone part in the name obviously/

----------

I don't get this thought process. It would make sense if these bigger android phones were as durable as the iPhone in an otterbox defender. Having a smaller base product means the ultra protected product is smaller so it still remains extremely important.

By your thought process, an iPhone with defender case is the same size as an android phone but indestructible. Why would anyone ever buy an android phone in thst case.

The whole irony of using a case on an iPhone is lost when most android devices are less sturdy to begin with...

----------

This seems to be a common refrain and is one of the few benefits of being an android user. You don't have to get stuck with the next generation of Samsung phone. If htc makes a better phone it is easy to switch because the os is the same.

So from that standpoint it seems the s4 is failing in that regard and that really should be a bigger issue than how it stacks up against the iPhone.

----------

The problem with anyone using a

----------

The problem with anyone using apple's stock price as a sign of their health is their stock is seriously undervalued.

In a proper valuation it is 50%-100% below what it shouid be. The problem is when a lot of people try to use stock price to argue about specific products they don't understand what effects the stock price especially in the long term.
Congrats on having the most headache-inducing post in this thread.

Michael

Switchback666
Apr 24, 2013, 07:11 PM
Marksman is so ignorant he used the term "second world country" thinking its the same as first world or third world....

Ignorant.

Renzatic
Apr 24, 2013, 07:40 PM
Marksman is so ignorant he used the term "second world country" thinking its the same as first world or third world....

Ignorant.

I didn't see where he posted that at, since I usually only scan Marksman's posts, but he could be talking about China, which is the only second world country with any political clout left standing after 1990.

JAT
Apr 24, 2013, 07:52 PM
Because Samsung only makes hardware there is zero software relevancy to a new hardware release (well it might be able to run the latest sweet tooth version of android in the next six months).

Samsung fills their phones with software.

Michael Scrip
Apr 24, 2013, 08:06 PM
I keep hearing ZOMG IT’S SOOO BIG!!!!

But it doesn't really look all that big in the hand.

http://i.imgur.com/KzldL05.jpg

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Technology/abc_galaxy_s4_mi_130423_wg.jpg

http://www.tapscape.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/iphone-5-vs-Galaxy-S4.jpg
Note the size related to hands...

And before anyone mentions "one-handed use"

Where the hell is your other hand? Smartphones today are amazing little computers... I want to use as many hands and fingers as I can!

The only time I use one hand is if I'm thumb-texting while driving (which I shouldn't even do)

Otherwise... I'm using two hands... because... I have two hands. Typing is easier with two thumbs anyway. And so is poking a tiny link accurately with a fingertip.

Also... you cannot pinch-n-zoom with one thumb.

I'd say 99.999% of the time I hold my phone with my left hand and poke at it with my right index finger.

I don't buy this "phone too big to use your thumb" idea.

Thumbs suck for operating a smart device.

locoboi187
Apr 24, 2013, 08:59 PM
Look Android phones are great and awesome. Had many of them, including the GS3. But I chose iPhone this time around and I love this phone too. Neither phone is a clear winner, just preference. Stop wasting your own time badgering each other. You guys look stupid.

ekdor
Apr 24, 2013, 09:28 PM
I still us a 3Gs and works fine. Starting to feel slightly underpowered. But honestly that's because I use my phone for basic functions only. I wouldn't mind my phone being a bit smaller and lighter actually! I have other devices I prefer to use for mor complex tasks. Console for games, tv with media center for shows and movies, computer for work, iPad for intermediary things about the place like casual browsing, emailing and what not. I want my phone to make phone calls, SMS, MMS, quick check of emails, portable music and pod casts, some useful utilities. I don't need much of a display for any of it. Still I'll be happy to stay with this size. But looks like I won't have any choose when it comes to upgrading. Who knows maybe some day well get that wrist watch phone. Having said all that I do read this column from my phone, it's my last distraction before sleep.

----------

Where the hell is your other hand?

For some I can only guess where their other hand is.

Rockondevil
Apr 24, 2013, 09:39 PM
I keep hearing ZOMG IT’S SOOO BIG!!!!
And before anyone mentions "one-handed use"

Where the hell is your other hand? Smartphones today are amazing little computers... I want to use as many hands and fingers as I can!

The only time I use one hand is if I'm thumb-texting while driving (which I shouldn't even do)

Otherwise... I'm using two hands... because... I have two hands. Typing is easier with two thumbs anyway. And so is poking a tiny link accurately with a fingertip.

Also... you cannot pinch-n-zoom with one thumb.

I'd say 99.999% of the time I hold my phone with my left hand and poke at it with my right index finger.

I don't buy this "phone too big to use your thumb" idea.

Thumbs suck for operating a smart device.

I only ever use any phone I have owned with 1 hand unless I want to do a quick pinch and zoom (usually I double tap as that works perfectly) or I am playing a game.

Obviously it's personal preference, but I personally believe a phone should be useable with 1 hand. It's a phone, not a tablet or a computer (yes they have very similar qualities to computers these days, but in the end it's still a phone).

ijohn.8.80
Apr 24, 2013, 09:40 PM
http://www.tapscape.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/iphone-5-vs-Galaxy-S4.jpg
Note the size related to hands...

There's something off with this picture, which could just be the perspective and having the iPhone 5 at front. :confused: First, my iPhone 5 is not that fat. Second, when I put my fingers like this persons along the length of it, I have no gaps or space at the end of it and I have relatively small hands for a bloke and that's just my three main fingers, with the pinkies tucked behind.

I feel this is a more authentic side by side comparison.
http://androidzone.org/files/2013/03/Galaxy-S4-Vs-iPhone-5-Pantalla.jpg

hchung
Apr 24, 2013, 09:52 PM
I think the biggest issue is that people greatly exaggerate the size of the larger Android phones. You can't go a page in one of these threads without someone talking about how they're too big to fit in their pocket, or hold with one hand, or blah blah blah. You've heard it all before.

Really, they're not that big. I could easily fit a 5 inch phone in my pocket. They're about roughly the width of your average wallet, and only a slight bit taller than the iPhone 5. They're bigger, sure, but not by vast amounts.

Unless someone's a hipster wearing skinny jeans about two sizes too small for them, everyone can fit a Galaxy S4 in their pants pocket and still have room to spare.

I've lost some weight and width over the years. My jeans arn't that skinny, but I'm already complaining about the size of an iPhone 5. Sure, it's fine when I stand, but when I sit, the phone stabs me in my hip joint because it's too long. It's extremely annoying. Annoying enough that I've many times considered buying an used iPhone 4S as a replacement.

A larger phone is a dealbreaker for me.

SmileyBlast!
Apr 24, 2013, 10:16 PM
We knew those features would be flaky when they could not live demo them in that theatrical unveiling of a press release for the Galaxy S4.

flameproof
Apr 24, 2013, 10:28 PM
"Sound on the S4 is another problem. It still has just one tiny, tin-can-sounding speaker on the bottom back of the phone."

At least you can hear it!

Recently I was out with friend and we played sound clips. Mine were near impossible to hear, the S3 could manage a way higher volume.

philosopherdog
Apr 24, 2013, 10:56 PM
A really ugly and cheap phone IMO. There are better android phones, and the iPhone is just in a totally different league. If Apple made such a piece of junk I'm sure nobody could sleep at night. But I think the one thing Samsung is teaching Apple is that people seem to want Phablets, which is interesting. You can see why Apple will be slow to adopt this idea. If you could make a really thin amazing phone that's bigger than the iphone but smaller than the ipad mini, then that will seriously cut into sales of computers, tablets, ipods, the works. Apple has got to be resisting this eventuality as long as they can get away with it.

Plutonius
Apr 24, 2013, 11:17 PM
I would probably get the HTC instead of the S4.

flameproof
Apr 24, 2013, 11:57 PM
I don't understand the iPhone bashing here. I find it a bit unfair to compare a nearly one year old phone to the very latest in technology.

unobtainium
Apr 25, 2013, 12:23 AM
I thought the display on the S4 ( having seen it first hand ) is much nicer than that of the iPhone.

Haven't seen the S4 yet, but the S3 always seemed grainy due to Pentile tech, and its brightest setting was 50% of iPhone's brightness. It also had wonky colours/hues. I wonder...does the S4 have the same "painted-on" look of the iPhone 5? (Not sure how else to describe it.)

Also I found the UI was very smooth and fluid, just as you'd find on the iPhone.
Did you have all the new features enabled? I think the reviews have mentioned that's what causes the slowdown.

iPhone 5 has its speaker on the bottom, so it's not muffled if you set the phone down.

This is the one thing I like about it...I'd love a 5" iPhone. :p

G4DP
Apr 25, 2013, 01:05 AM
Did you just stumble into Mac rumors, sign up and then make thst post?

A key, if not primary element, of Mac rumors for many, many, many, many years is compiling reviews, information and rumors from other sources and sharing them their readers.

Review synopsis like these are very common and very appreciated by a large number of Mac rumor members. I have no desire to go around and hunt down five reviews for a product of only moderate interest. They do it for us.

Seriously next time think/read more and post less.

That's rather ironic advice for someone who doesn't even notice the join date of someone they are quoting.

So you like MacRumors because your too lazy to do a couple of google searches yourself. Good for you.

A key element of this site used to be decent well thought out articles. Occasionally doing there own bit of digging. Now they just copy and past a large majority of the "news" from other rumour sites.

You may well be happy with that, I am sure there are just as many who would prefer fewer but more constructive and relavent articles.

Michael Scrip
Apr 25, 2013, 02:30 AM
There's something off with this picture, which could just be the perspective and having the iPhone 5 at front. :confused: First, my iPhone 5 is not that fat. Second, when I put my fingers like this persons along the length of it, I have no gaps or space at the end of it and I have relatively small hands for a bloke and that's just my three main fingers, with the pinkies tucked behind.

I feel this is a more authentic side by side comparison.
Image (http://androidzone.org/files/2013/03/Galaxy-S4-Vs-iPhone-5-Pantalla.jpg)

Yeah... but I wasn't comparing the iPhone 5 size to the Galaxy S4 size. I was just showing pictures of the Galaxy S4 in a hand.

People make it sound like using the Galaxy S4 is the equivalent of holding a clipboard.

I don't think it is.

The Galaxy S4 isn't much bigger than the Galaxy S3 that came before it... and people managed that just fine.

Of course you should try it out... but its not as though people have stopped buying phones of this size.

Michael Scrip
Apr 25, 2013, 02:40 AM
I only ever use any phone I have owned with 1 hand unless I want to do a quick pinch and zoom (usually I double tap as that works perfectly) or I am playing a game.

Obviously it's personal preference, but I personally believe a phone should be useable with 1 hand. It's a phone, not a tablet or a computer (yes they have very similar qualities to computers these days, but in the end it's still a phone).

To use a smartphone with one hand means the phone sits in your palm and is cradled by 4 fingers. Then your only interaction is with your thumb.

Like I said... I hate using my thumb as the primary input method. I'd much rather tap on things with an index finger. I guess it really is a personal preference.

And you also have to define what "useable" means. Is every function capable with just a thumb? Again... some things are better with a more accurate fingertip... not a thumb.

I might even flip the phone sideways and type on the larger landscape keyboard. That's 2 thumbs (and 2 hands)

Today's smartphone aren't just phones... they are much more exciting than that :)

the8thark
Apr 25, 2013, 02:45 AM
The "small" iPhone screen is just fine, don't want to sew in an expanded pocket to hold the Galaxy (pun intended)

The one thing I really wish out of my iPhone is more battery life!
I want a fusion reactor for at least 12 hours of run time (more astronomic humor)

How about adding a flux capacitor and micro engine so it can move at 88 miles an hour too?

----------

A key element of this site used to be decent well thought out articles. Occasionally doing there own bit of digging. Now they just copy and past a large majority of the "news" from other rumour sites.

This is very true. And not a good sign at all. Not sure if the article writers here even care though.

ijohn.8.80
Apr 25, 2013, 02:45 AM
Of course you should try it out... but its not as though people have stopped buying phones of this size.

Each to their own, I have my 27" iMac, an iPad (full sized) and my iPhone 5, they suit me perfectly, each for specific purposes. I have no need for a Phablet, but I know many who want and have that as their only such tech. No laptops or desktops at all.

I've never boohooed them.

mtek
Apr 25, 2013, 04:52 AM
It's a good smartphone but most Apple user will probably be upgrading their iPhones to the HTC One because it's much more Apple like in terms of design and even OS interface/skin. :)

BvizioN
Apr 25, 2013, 04:54 AM

The HTC one is great as it is, no need of any galaxy S incoperation. Best looking smartphone IMO.

BvizioN
Apr 25, 2013, 05:43 AM
Most people will put it in a case so the cheap plastic feel is rather a moot point for most.

I agree they do. Perosnally i dod't and i know i won't have the same phone for more then 2 years. So if its going to get a few tiny scraches or a little mark, so be it. Will still get on eBay half of what I have already paid for it whlie appreciating the beauty of design while am using it.

BvizioN
Apr 25, 2013, 06:03 AM

I couldn't care for the first too. 64GB holds all i want. Removable battery? Even when i had these kind of devices, I would remove the battery only to change the sim card. Love it how I don't need to do that on my iPhone. Better battery life is allways better so I don't have to carry anything (charger,battery etc) with me.

HTC one looks far better then S4 or iPhone 4 which am currently using IMO. If I had to chose Android, it will undoubdly be HTC one.

BornAgainMac
Apr 25, 2013, 06:54 AM
Now that the Galaxy is in the limelight, every flaw is discovered. Maybe it will have Antennegate too.

Habakuk
Apr 25, 2013, 07:10 AM
Did you know that Samsung is the most corrupt company in the world? Good reading (I was shocked):

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/30/3709688/samsung-25-years-lee-kun-hee

Please consider this before you put any money in this company. I'd wish Apple wouldn't buy components from them.

iGrip
Apr 25, 2013, 08:36 AM
The GS4 is not really a major upgrade over the GS3. If you are looking for a bigger screen and better build quality, I would go with the HTC One.

The HTC One looks sweet. Unfortunately, however, it has no SD card capability, and so it is not something I would even consider buying.

sulpfiction
Apr 25, 2013, 08:43 AM
Don't forget about the Note 3. Hit them early with the S4 and mop up with the Note 3. To bad Apple does not implement the same game plan.

Apple has been very happy with their "game plan" thus far.

----------

The HTC One looks sweet. Unfortunately, however, it has no SD card capability, and so it is not something I would even consider buying.

An SD card is ur make or break feature for U?

hexonxonx
Apr 25, 2013, 08:49 AM

The iPhone doesn't have an SD card slot either and look at how many units it has sold in six years?

I bought a 16GB Nexus 4 a few months ago. No SD card slot either but even on a few phones that I own, never used it. I don't even own an SD card.

Tankmaze
Apr 25, 2013, 09:06 AM
knowing the xperia z washed out display, some quirks on the HTC by other MR members here. and the plastic build of the S4 is making me farther away from 5 inch 1080p display and android.

oh well, might as well wait apple to release 1080p iphone :D

motoracer1486
Apr 25, 2013, 09:37 AM

You obviously haven't held a S3 or S4 as they are very easy to use with a single hand.

Tinmania
Apr 25, 2013, 10:37 AM
The Galaxy S4 isn't much bigger than the Galaxy S3 that came before it... and people managed that just fine.

In fact the S4 is little bit smaller than the S3--yet with a larger screen. So if people managed just fine with an S3 they will certainly be fine with an S4.

Michael

mixel
Apr 25, 2013, 11:46 AM
I really wouldn't mind a bigger iPhone as an option, but if it starts getting that much heavier.. particularly as i might end up using a 3rd party battery case..

I like how the S4 is quite a lot different to the iPhone though. Different strokes, etc.

Stella
Apr 25, 2013, 12:45 PM
I wonder...does the S4 have the same "painted-on" look of the iPhone 5? (Not sure how else to describe it.)

I'm not sure, I know the screen was very nice - bright and the clarity was great.

mtek
Apr 25, 2013, 01:50 PM
It'll be interesting to see by the end of 2013 how many iPhone users Apple will have lost to the S4 and/or One.
Apple was quite quick to reply to the surging of the 7" tablets and needs to do the same with the iPhone.

Most serious for Apple is the fact that the iWatch will probably only work with iPhones and with Apple loosing some of the iPhone user base is not a good omen...

larrybeo
Apr 25, 2013, 04:07 PM
I just don't understand how and why people think they can compare these two phones. One is completely proprietary and monopolized with the operating system and hardware (I'd really love to control the color of a play button overlay ontop of Safari while I'm surfing the web or be able to surf the web while I watch Netflix in the background)... and the other is completely open and free for whoever and whatever to have their way with it.

On another note though the Galaxy is WAY to big to be considered a phone.

----------

You obviously haven't held a S3 or S4 as they are very easy to use with a single hand.

This is a joke right? Either you are an professional athlete or you have obviously never held an S3 or S4. They require two hands to make and receive phone calls, let alone anything else.

----------

Just by looking at the pictures, how could you possibly even unlock that monstrousity with one hand?

Tinmania
Apr 25, 2013, 04:18 PM
Just by looking at the pictures, how could you possibly even unlock that monstrousity with one hand?
You have got to be joking, never saw an S3/S4 in real life, or are from Lilliputia.

I can answer calls on my Note 2 with one hand. And I don't even use any of the one-handed features. My phone is noticeably larger than an S4.

Michael

motoracer1486
Apr 26, 2013, 01:26 AM
I just don't understand how and why people think they can compare these two phones. One is completely proprietary and monopolized with the operating system and hardware (I'd really love to control the color of a play button overlay ontop of Safari while I'm surfing the web or be able to surf the web while I watch Netflix in the background)... and the other is completely open and free for whoever and whatever to have their way with it.

On another note though the Galaxy is WAY to big to be considered a phone.

----------

This is a joke right? Either you are an professional athlete or you have obviously never held an S3 or S4. They require two hands to make and receive phone calls, let alone anything else.

----------

No, you're the joke. :cool:

Michael Scrip
Apr 26, 2013, 06:35 AM
In fact the S4 is little bit smaller than the S3--yet with a larger screen. So if people managed just fine with an S3 they will certainly be fine with an S4.

Oh wow... I didn't know that... thanks! :)

MacRumorUser
Apr 26, 2013, 07:08 AM
too bad the One suffers from mediocre battery life just like it's predecessor the One X.

I got 1 day, 13 hrs, 6mins, 58 seconds on mine with 26% battery remaining. How bad was that !!!

----------

If you want to add stuff to the internal storage you can plug in a usb stick to the HTC one ;)

alent1234
Apr 26, 2013, 07:13 PM
Did you use the phone?

I got 1 day, 13 hrs, 6mins, 58 seconds on mine with
26% battery remaining. How bad was that !!!

----------

If you want to add stuff to the internal storage you can plug in a usb stick to the HTC one ;)

tranceking26
Apr 26, 2013, 08:42 PM
Ugly and cheap looking

Too big to fit in my pockets. Are these things even phones anymore, too big too big

MacRumorUser
Apr 27, 2013, 12:42 AM
Did you use the phone?

Yes, .

I answered about 40 text messages, listened to Bluetooth audio in the car and made about 90 - 120 minues of phone calls over the period.

I answered my emails and flicked through blink feed in the course of each day to read Facebook updates / news / twitter headlines.

I took a small amount of photos and uploaded to Instagram and Facebook.

Listened to music via headphones whilst walking on the beach a couple times each day.

Updated my diary, calendar and to-dos.

Switchback666
Apr 27, 2013, 12:51 AM
Yes, .

I answered about 40 text messages, listened to Bluetooth audio in the car and made about 90 - 120 minues of phone calls over the period.

I answered my emails and flicked through blink feed in the course of each day to read Facebook updates / news / twitter headlines.

I took a small amount of photos and uploaded to Instagram and Facebook.

Listened to music via headphones whilst walking on the beach a couple times each day.

Updated my diary, calendar and to-dos.

I think he/she was asking your usage when you got over 1 day of battery on the phone and still at 25%.

MacRumorUser
Apr 27, 2013, 01:01 AM
I think he/she was asking your usage when you got over 1 day of battery on the phone and still at 25%.

Yeah i'm not stupid ;) that was my usage over that period....... And it was 26% if being pedantic :p

I was on wifi most of the day (except when travelling in the car, walking the beach) and I don't have LTE here. Just basic GSM & 3G.

Even on a very heavy usage day of using more apps, lots of photos, uploading to HTC share via mobile data, emailing photos to friends, lots if phone calls and texts, reading blink feed and pulse, music and some lighter gaming (light as in cut the ropes style games ather than 3D intensive shadow gun ) and a few of YouTube clips or podcasts I get through a 13-14 hour day with around 40% left when it inevitably goes back on charge.

Never had any issues with battery life. My only problem was a defective camera lens hence reason it has been returned.

adnbek
Apr 27, 2013, 01:30 AM
Did you know that Samsung is the most corrupt company in the world? Good reading (I was shocked):

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/30/3709688/samsung-25-years-lee-kun-hee

Please consider this before you put any money in this company. I'd wish Apple wouldn't buy components from them.

I'm disappointed that the article makes no mention of worker accident coverups, the rising cancer rates at their semiconductor factories that Samsung does nothing to alleviate nor compensate the workers affected (and muzzle anybody that tries to bring attention to it) or the fact that even South Korean government officials aren't immune and can get fired for speaking out against Samsung. They pretty much run the country like a mafia.

Not to mention their shady marketing tactics that also involve dirty tricks, PR stunts, and guerrilla marketing.

It's indeed one of the most corrupt company in the industrialized world and yet not a negative thing is ever said in any mainstream press. If only Samsung got even a tenth of the attention as Apple has in recent years... There's a lot not being said.

I've pretty much boycotted Samsung for ethical reasons mostly, not to mention that their products lack any imagination or originality. Their product design consists of cramming as many features (useless or not) without any sense of style nor direction, box it in a plastic casing, and call it innovation.

TC25
Apr 27, 2013, 03:26 AM
I've pretty much boycotted Samsung for ethical reasons mostly,

Your boycott has made a huge difference. :rolleyes:

hexonxonx
Apr 27, 2013, 03:31 AM
Your boycott has made a huge difference. :rolleyes:

I wonder if this person has boycotted Apple also for using Samsung parts in the iPhone?

SprSynJn
Apr 27, 2013, 04:42 AM

For you maybe. Not for many others. I wouldn't even consider something so big for my commute on the train. Might as well get a tablet.

TC25
Apr 27, 2013, 05:08 AM
I wonder if this person has boycotted Apple also for using Samsung parts in the iPhone?

People who engage in these 'boycotts' do so to make themselves feel better, since such actions are irrelevant, so consistency is not required.

didgeridoo
Apr 27, 2013, 06:07 AM

The iPhone's speaker is on the bottom (in portrait mode) and is quite good for its size. It's better than most tablets.

didgeridoo
Apr 27, 2013, 06:17 AM
... The 5S will likely suffer the same review critisms due to being near identical to iPhone 5 (if rumours are true) but with gimmicky hardware slapped on (fingerprint scanner - come on is ths some 1990's spy movie apple are now using as inspiration) ...
I look forward to the fingerprint scanner since iphone theft has become rampant. I might even break the contract with my 5 for it.

MacRumorUser
Apr 27, 2013, 06:28 AM
I look forward to the fingerprint scanner since iphone theft has become rampant. I might even break the contract with my 5 for it.

I assume you can still force the iphone into DFU mode, and then restore it back to factory - therefore bypassing fingerprint scanner if its stolen however. I doubt it will make any thief stop in their tracks.

Toltepeceno
Apr 27, 2013, 10:25 AM
Ugly and cheap looking

Too big to fit in my pockets. Are these things even phones anymore, too big too big Wow, are you 5 years old? My pockest are much larger than t his phone.

didgeridoo
Apr 27, 2013, 02:35 PM
I assume you can still force the iphone into DFU mode, and then restore it back to factory - therefore bypassing fingerprint scanner if its stolen however. I doubt it will make any thief stop in their tracks.
Yes, but at least they couldn't get any personal data. I don't like having to enter a code each time and so don't have one which leaves the data vulnerable.

tranceking26
Apr 27, 2013, 04:26 PM
Wow, are you 5 years old? My pockest are much larger than t his phone.

If I were 5 I'd hopefully own this and smash it within a week. 'Wow,' you took the bait.

ibosie
Apr 27, 2013, 04:45 PM
I can't see the attraction. It's fugly and plastic like the software it runs on.

Switchback666
Apr 27, 2013, 05:23 PM
I can't see the attraction. It's fugly and plastic like the software it runs on.

Sure buddy

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/28/ybu6uhu7.jpg

DesertEagle
Apr 27, 2013, 05:27 PM
Sure buddy

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/28/ybu6uhu7.jpg)

Wasn't that the Iraqi information minister?

Renzatic
Apr 27, 2013, 08:50 PM
For you maybe. Not for many others. I wouldn't even consider something so big for my commute on the train. Might as well get a tablet.

Seriously? It's about a half inch wider and taller than the iPhone 5. That's hardly the difference between a phone and a small tablet.

SprSynJn
Apr 27, 2013, 10:41 PM
Seriously? It's about a half inch wider and taller than the iPhone 5. That's hardly the difference between a phone and a small tablet.

Try using it with one hand while holding a strap during a semi bumpy ride when the train is packed. The iPhone 5 isn't exactly the best mind you, but at least I can reach from one corner to the next without having to fiddle with the phones position.

steve09090
Apr 28, 2013, 07:53 PM
Slimy plastic body, gimmicky features, sluggish, crappy speaker, too big for 1 handed operation, 2nd rate Android Experience (compared to HTC), big beautiful over saturated (inaccurate) display?

But it's got a camera slightly better than an 8 month old iPhone. It's a winner!!

What's the S5 got in store for us? Detachable back cover circa Nokia 5110? :)

tech4all
Apr 29, 2013, 02:01 AM

It is when you got it.

I'm seeing more of the iPhoneGuard coming out here. They're not well armed either based on some of their reasoning.

Boring!!

That's the reaction I had when I looked at iOS in the Apple Store. I saw the wall of icons, swiped them. Done. Next...

I just can't get past the cheap plastic build.

Get over it?

When are these other companies going to realize that build quality is just as important as performance and function?

That made me lol. No really it did man. :D

It's funny how how obsessed iPhone users are with the build quality even if the software it runs hasn't seen a major overhaul in years.

iOS 7 could get a disappointing update, but if the iPhone looks great who cares right?

Also too many gimmicks that are half baked and only work ideal conditions.

Such as?

Some will go for the bigger screen, but I prefer a streamlined quality experience.

Some prefer a loaded GM car, and some of us prefer something more refined, even if it has less gimmicks.

Yea setting up my Google Nexus was a pain. Had to turn it on and put in my Gmail account and password. Wooohhh how did I manage! :rolleyes:

Seriously, you've obviously never used Android, so don't comment on something you know nothing about.

Again I'm seeing more iPhone loyalists that don't know jack about Android.

Nikon and Canon had a run of that...

I don't know what's worse. The Canon/Nikon wars or iOS/Android.

Ugly and cheap looking

Too big to fit in my pockets. Are these things even phones anymore, too big too big

You know what they say about a guy with small pockets...

And here's the prime example of users not knowing jack squat about Android. :)

I swear the comments by iPhone boys/girls are so predicable.

Eww plastic!
So hard to set up!
Who needs a big screen?!
Who cares about the OS, as long as the phone looks good?!

Those comments just scream ignorance. Ya'll need to open your minds a bit and get past what Apple has told you is "right" for you.

steve09090
Apr 29, 2013, 09:57 AM
That's the reaction I had when I looked at iOS in the Apple Store. I saw the wall of icons, swiped them. Done. Next...

Ew.. nice fancy battery eating flashy bits = Android. You know it's true.

It's funny how how obsessed iPhone users are with the build quality even if the software it runs hasn't seen a major overhaul in years.

It's funny how obsessed Android users get when they are jealous of a superior build quality.

With regard to an OS that hasn't seen a major overhaul, well, lets look at the reason shall we. Android was a pile of dung before ICS. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. Fragmented OS anyone?

iOS 7 could get a disappointing update, but if the iPhone looks great who cares right?

Not me. But while Samsung bring out yet another Galaxy wannabe clone, iPhone will still run faster, smoother and have less viruses than any single iteration of Android you choose to name.

Yea setting up my Google Nexus was a pain. Had to turn it on and put in my Gmail account and password. Wooohhh how did I manage! :rolleyes:

Nothing like a Big Brother like Google watching over your every move and telling you what to buy, huh?

Seriously, you've obviously never used Android, so don't comment on something you know nothing about.

What Happens WHEN Android Fails: http://www.technewsworld.com/alert/77901.html

Again I'm seeing more iPhone loyalists that don't know jack about Android.

What version of Android are you running? In any case, you'll be in the minority if you've upgraded, because that's always been a big fail with all the problems people have had.

I don't know what's worse. The Canon/Nikon wars or iOS/Android.

Nikon/Canon users don't care so much. I use both. Red Sox / Yankees is maybe a bit closer.

I swear the comments by iPhone boys/girls are so predicable.

Ho Hum

Eww plastic!
So hard to set up!
Who needs a big screen?!
Who cares about the OS, as long as the phone looks good?!

Useability: serviceability: the quality of being able to provide good service

Those comments just scream ignorance. Ya'll need to open your minds a bit and get past what Apple has told you is "right" for you.

Pot/Kettle/Black

Seriously though. I don't know why you care so much about iOS and the users. For years Fandroids have [I]tried to claim a superior product when iOS users, just keep using their better built, more stable and infinitely more intuitive smartphone, walled garden and all. I say 'who cares what you like'. I certainly don't.

All I hear about this latest Samsung is that it doesn't live up to what it was supposed to be. iPhone killer? Lets wait for yet another try shall we?

Pechente
May 7, 2013, 04:59 PM

I haven’t used an S3 extensively, that’s true. What i have used over a few weeks though is a Nexus 4 and it was way too large. Constant repositioning of the hand was required to hold and use it properly. I ended up returning it since using it one-handed was pretty cumbersome. I can’t imagine a 5" device to have any better usability.

Malizzar
May 7, 2013, 06:01 PM
One thing I find funny is all this talk about the "plastic" feel. I bet most everyone who is complaining about it did not do the same when they held their iPhone 1, 3, 3S in their hands.

As a long time iPhone user who has owned every single version of the iPhone since it launched including my recently retired iPhone5 I can say I am so far impressed with the Galaxy S4. I was curious at first so I decided to depart from the iPhone and give it try. I do not see an issue with the "plastic" feel as I have put a case on every iPhone I ever owned so it feels about the same.

I do have larger hands so at times the iPhone felt almost to small in my hands. The S4 feels fine and I can type with one hand with no issues. I do like the larger screen for reading emails and attachments. Perhaps it is my age but it is definitely easier on my eyes.

I think at the end of the day it comes down to what device works for the individual. I think trying to stereotype a phone as good or bad when it is selling in large volume is pointless and simply trying to "fan" it into your way of thinking.

Buy what you like and enjoy it.... nuf said.

Switchback666
May 7, 2013, 08:02 PM
One thing I find funny is all this talk about the "plastic" feel. I bet most everyone who is complaining about it did not do the same when they held their iPhone 1, 3, 3S in their hands. .

You know whats shocking :eek: iphone OG to iphone 3g, metal ---> plastic and damm well everyone loved it.

johnnnw
May 7, 2013, 11:06 PM

Exaggeration much?:rolleyes:

It barely feels bigger then the iPhone silly