PDA

View Full Version : S4 vs HTC One dogfight

johnjefferson
Apr 24, 2013, 12:02 PM
Nice review but still very disappointing to see the lagging and force closing (S4 FCs Quadrant in part 2) from both devices although they have quadcore processors and running the current version of Android. After only 2 weeks on the iPhone 5, I forgot what lag and force closes were and I really appreciate that. Looks like Android still has some work to do before I switch back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axc_646PpL8

VulchR
Apr 24, 2013, 12:05 PM
This thread will not go well....

Peterg2
Apr 24, 2013, 01:11 PM
I think they should have a separate thread - a Sticky - like they have in the AT&T HTC One forum at XDA developers. In that thread, you can do all this "X phone is better than Y phone blah blah blah".

In the HTC One General subforum rules they state:"What does not go here..."

One of them is "Device comparison threads "Which is better: iphone or this phone" (see above)".

Of course the main threads on particular phones will still be polluted by trollers and pseudo-objectivists but it might help a bit.

scott craft
Apr 24, 2013, 01:25 PM
I've watched the two part phone dog review on the S4 and both parts of the S4/One dogfight and they both looked pretty good to me. I was watching on a 4.3" screen so maybe that's why I didn't see the lag. I wouldn't have a problem owning either phone.

LIVEFRMNYC
Apr 24, 2013, 02:22 PM
I watched both parts. Where's the lag OP? Cause I didn't see any. Post some exact times or your trolling.

johnjefferson
Apr 24, 2013, 02:30 PM
I watched both parts. Where's the lag OP? Cause I didn't see any. Post some exact times or your trolling.

LOL, ok...The S4 lags bad at 7:14 of Part 1, when he hits the home button. Then the S4 again at the 5:50 mark in Part 2 (link below) as hes trying to open the Speedtest app. Not only does it stutter badly, right after that he opens Quadrant and it goes black for a few seconds before force closing Quadrant. Completely unacceptable in brand new phones with QUADCORE processors on the current OS. If they are doing this brand new, wait until you've had one for a few months and loaded up tons of apps, games, music, movies....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESmQ_mklR9Y

Assault
Apr 24, 2013, 02:46 PM
LOL, ok...The S4 lags bad at 7:14 of Part 1, when he hits the home button. Then the S4 again at the 5:50 mark in Part 2 (link below) as hes trying to open the Speedtest app. Not only does it stutter badly, right after that he opens Quadrant and it goes black for a few seconds before force closing Quadrant. Completely unacceptable in brand new phones with QUADCORE processors on the current OS. If they are doing this brand new, wait until you've had one for a few months and loaded up tons of apps, games, music, movies....

And every single iPhone, iPad, atv , MBP and iMac has had FC's and lag. I guess that brand new iMac that gives me a spinning beach ball is a POS computer, right? Or when you are in an app on the iPad or iPhone and you get kicked out is just part of the OS? Just because iOS doesn't tell you what or why there was a FC, doesn't mean it didn't occur.
Every single OS, on every single type of computer will have a slow down or glitch at some point. It is simply inevitable. Just because it happened once (on a 3rd party app) while he had 20 other apps running in the background, doesn't say much. I can show you a ton of vids of brand new iPhone having worse issues than that. The question still remains, So what?

johnjefferson
Apr 24, 2013, 03:00 PM
And every single iPhone, iPad, atv , MBP and iMac has had FC's and lag. I guess that brand new iMac that gives me a spinning beach ball is a POS computer, right? Or when you are in an app on the iPad or iPhone and you get kicked out is just part of the OS? Just because iOS doesn't tell you what or why there was a FC, doesn't mean it didn't occur.
Every single OS, on every single type of computer will have a slow down or glitch at some point. It is simply inevitable. Just because it happened once (on a 3rd party app) while he had 20 other apps running in the background, doesn't say much. I can show you a ton of vids of brand new iPhone having worse issues than that. The question still remains, So what?

The fact is Android is still not very well put together. I can count the times on one hand I have had my iPad mini or iPhone 5 force close an app. Its always Facebook by the way, which is due to the app itself and not iOS. I would need hundreds and hundreds of hands to count how many force closes I have had on Android phones over the years, even recent ones like my Note 2. Only the biggest of Android fan boys would argue that Android is smoother, less laggy and force closes apps less than iOS.

LIVEFRMNYC
Apr 24, 2013, 03:05 PM

On 7:14 part 1. Show me something on a continuous scale. A half second from 13 minutes is hardly any real lag. I can show you multiple iPhone 5 videos and nit pick too. ;)

On 5:50 part 2. When Speedtest isn't recently opened. That's the way the Speedtest.net app opens on Android. It goes black for a second then to the begin test screen. On iOS they have a screen before the begin test screen.
As you can see at 7:20 the Speedtest came right back up.

johnjefferson
Apr 24, 2013, 03:07 PM
On 7:14 part 1. Show me something on a continuous scale. A half second from 13 minutes is hardly any real lag. I can show you multiple iPhone 5 videos and nit pick too. ;)

On 5:50 part 2. When Speedtest isn't recently opened. That's the way the Speedtest.net app opens on Android. It goes black for a second then to the begin test screen. On iOS they have a screen before the begin test screen.

If you say so. What about the 3-4 seconds of black screen and the force closing of Quadrant? Unacceptable. Oh and I have had both the S3 and Note 2 and both would lag and stutter too. Not bad but certainly enough to be annoying, so dont pretend like this is something new to Android. I have used Android since the HTC Hero.

jrswizzle
Apr 24, 2013, 03:11 PM

The speedtest app is terrible on Android.....it may not truly be, but it feels like its lagging terribly.

OceanView
Apr 24, 2013, 03:11 PM
I think the lag you mention is really just the transition speed.
There is a setting that you can change to speed to make the transition faster.
I wish Samsung would just set it to the fastest speed so people would not confuse this with Lag on their phones.

On a side note, I checked out the HTC one at the AT&T store yesterday.
It feels like a great phone but the one issue that bothered me was the little buttons for power and volume.
They are too recessed and too small which make it difficult to press. Now I don't have giant hands, so I imagine people with big hands would have even harder time to press them then I did.

EDIT:
The settings on my Note II to make the transitions faster is in the settings under Developers Option, Transition Animation. Change the setting to 0.5 or lower for faster transition. This will remove any appearance of lag that a few people are mentioning.

MacRumorUser
Apr 24, 2013, 03:58 PM
I think the lag you mention is really just the transition speed.
There is a setting that you can change to speed to make the transition faster.
I wish Samsung would just set it to the fastest speed so people would not confuse this with Lag on their phones.

On a side note, I checked out the HTC one at the AT&T store yesterday.
It feels like a great phone but the one issue that bothered me was the little buttons for power and volume.
They are too recessed and too small which make it difficult to press. Now I don't have giant hands, so I imagine people with big hands would have even harder time to press them then I did.

You don't have to press them hard, they are very sensitive or at least should be. Perhaps the one on display had been abused ;)

The buttons are more responsive than my iPhone 5 by a huge margin. Especially the volume rocker.

----

In other news the anandtech review surprised me. Didn't expect the HTC One to beat the S4 in some battery tests and matched it in others. Hopefully that will stop expletive bitching about the HTC ones battery life.

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph6914/54313.png

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph6914/54312.png

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph6914/54316.png

And the conclusion sums it up rather well

It's when you compare the Galaxy S 4 to its chief technical competitor, the HTC One, that the discussion becomes more complicated. HTC and Samsung take very different approaches to nearly every aspect of their flagship smartphones. Whether it's display (LCD vs. Super AMOLED), camera (low light vs. well lit performance), or software (subtle Sense 5 or feature filled TouchWiz), you couldn't pick two more different players in the Android space. So which is better?

It really depends on what you value more. The One's camera delivers better low light performance, while the Galaxy S 4's camera delivers better performance in well lit (e.g. outdoor) scenarios. The One's software customizations are definitely more subtle and out of your way, while Samsung's approach is much more feature overload and in your face. It's difficult to say for sure given our Sprint review unit, but HTC likely gets the slight edge in battery life based on our results here today (although these two devices can be close competitors depending on the workload). Samsung does integrate the faster SoC, despite both the Galaxy S 4 and HTC One shipping the same Snapdragon 600 platform. Samsung and HTC remain on opposite sides of the removable battery/microSD fence, if those two things matter to you then Samsung is the obvious choice. Finally there's a question of how much you value/desire an all-metal smartphone. For some, Samsung's choice in materials is going to continue to be a very big issue.

Basically both the HTC One and the S4 offer different takes, what your preference is will dictate which is better, but what is clear is that NEITHER are perfect......

But its good Samsung at least has some competition in the market, but I have no doubt the S4 will sell vastly more units than the HTC (10-1) .....

Assault
Apr 24, 2013, 04:09 PM
The fact is Android is still not very well put together. I can count the times on one hand I have had my iPad mini or iPhone 5 force close an app. Its always Facebook by the way, which is due to the app itself and not iOS. I would need hundreds and hundreds of hands to count how many force closes I have had on Android phones over the years, even recent ones like my Note 2. Only the biggest of Android fan boys would argue that Android is smoother, less laggy and force closes apps less than iOS.

A simple Google search can tell anyone that the number of issues go up exponentially, as sales numbers go up regarding a specific product. This very website is full of iDevice users with lots of issues from iPhone5 build quality to software glitches. Remember the pixel displacement issue on the iphone 5's virtual keyboard or the severe lag and stutter when attempting to scroll long lists or webpages? Or the Touchscreen response issues that were supposedly fixed with iOS 6.0.1?

Take a look at these screenshots. This is not an iOS, Android, Blackeberry, Symbian, WebOS or Windows specific issues. They all have the same issues. All of them.

LIVEFRMNYC
Apr 24, 2013, 04:12 PM
You don't have to press them hard, they are very sensitive or at least should be. Perhaps the one on display had been abused ;)

The buttons are more responsive than my iPhone 5 by a huge margin. Especially the volume rocker.

----

In other news the anandtech review surprised me. Didn't expect the HTC One to beat the S4 in some battery tests and matched it in others. Hopefully that will stop expletive bitching about the HTC ones battery life.

Image (http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph6914/54313.png)

Image (http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph6914/54312.png)

Image (http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph6914/54316.png)

I think the culprit is Sprint. Other reviewers gave the S4 a slight edge in real life usage.

maxosx
Apr 24, 2013, 04:19 PM
I've watched the two part phone dog review on the S4 and both parts of the S4/One dogfight and they both looked pretty good to me. I was watching on a 4.3" screen so maybe that's why I didn't see the lag. I wouldn't have a problem owning either phone.

Ah yes, I had faith that someone like you would apply common sense & point out the truth.

Differences? Of course. If they were identical something would be wrong. It's far less in real life day to day usage, but hey! the writers have to have something to criticize. Not to mention injecting their personal opinion.

It's all about choices & preferences. After all, we all use our phones quite differently.

OceanView
Apr 24, 2013, 04:45 PM

I think the buttons may have been responsive but they just don't have any feedback when you press them and they are tiny.
The combination of small buttons with no feedback or clicks make it feel less responsive. Maybe it will get better with use but these are my initial observations. To some it may not be an issue, I guess I just prefer some kind of feed back and feel for that matter when I press a button.

appletoandroid
Apr 24, 2013, 05:21 PM

Basically both the HTC One and the S4 offer different takes, what your preference is will dictate which is better, but what is clear is that NEITHER are perfect......

But its good Samsung at least has some competition in the market, but I have no doubt the S4 will sell vastly more units than the HTC (10-1) .....

That can't be right, how can the iPhone 5 benchmark the best when it is dated and using technology almost a year older... I would be skeptical of Anandtech's testing, there's a lot wrong here.

Also, it was pointed out in a lot of the reviews that turning off the S features in the GS4 will noticeably bump up performance and battery, so he isn't taking that into account either! In the long run, fully optimized, I think the S4 will benchmark higher than the One.

LSUtigers03
Apr 24, 2013, 06:07 PM

Well in my experience with the S3 I had less crashes than I do on my iPhone 5. Here's what I don't understand. When an app acts up on iOS its always a problem with the app and not iOS but when it happens on Android its because Android sucks. There's also the crash data in the link below and this was pre JB which is a better OS than iOS 6 and I say that as an iPhone 5 owner. Sure it's a year and a half old but the point is that Android apps don't crash more than iOS apps. Android alerts you of the crash and iOS doesn't so most iOS users probably don't know that the app crashed.

http://phandroid.com/2012/02/03/android-vs-ios-which-is-really-more-stable-new-data-may-surprise-you/

cynics
Apr 24, 2013, 07:03 PM
This lag thing is getting silly. I have noticeable lag at times on my iPhone. Not app lag either which can be caused from a poorly written app, I'm talking OS lag.

I took a pic of it the other day.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/25/upu4aqa9.jpg

It just froze there. Took a screen shot and that was lagged. When it stopped the multitask scrolling hadn't scrolled it just jumped to where it was supposed to be.

Clicking on pics in group messages will hang sometimes for a fairly long time.

I tested my buddies iPhone 5 who is in a group message with me since December. If you keep hitting "Load previous messages" for long enough it gets terribly laggy. Although it didn't I thought the app or even the phone might crash.

Point being you'd have to be in complete denial to say iOS doesn't lag and even fault another device for lagging. Maybe an Android phone from back in the gingerbread days but now it's to the point where it's not bad enough to worry about.

Lindsford
Apr 24, 2013, 07:06 PM

----

Not sure who the hell rated iPhone 5 battery life on wifi that high. I've never gotten that much time on wifi usually it's a solid 6 or so hours when i'm browsing on wifi not even streaming video or music, strictly browsing. I don't trust it :)

Tinmania
Apr 24, 2013, 07:08 PM
The fact is Android is still not very well put together. I can count the times on one hand I have had my iPad mini or iPhone 5 force close an app. Its always Facebook by the way, which is due to the app itself and not iOS.
Contradict much? If you can count the times on one hand you have only used the facebook app 5 times.

Evernote closes every day for me, bar none. On iOS. On Android? Never. Not that that proves anything anymore than the nonsense in this troll-like thread.

Michael

sviato
Apr 24, 2013, 09:45 PM
And every single iPhone, iPad, atv , MBP and iMac has had FC's and lag.

Hmm you may want to qualify that sentence better. I've a Macbook Air since September and it has never had a FC or any sort of lag or stutter.

fredaroony
Apr 24, 2013, 11:17 PM
Hmm you may want to qualify that sentence better. I've a Macbook Air since September and it has never had a FC or any sort of lag or stutter.

I have a Retina Macbook Pro which is far faster than your Macbook Air and it occasionally FC and lags just like ANY computer.

Explicitic
Apr 25, 2013, 12:13 AM
Can we stop feeding threads like this and let them die out? It's obvious the OP is *trying* to spark a fight here or just doesn't understand, as seen in post #6.

The transition to the home screen is a known "issue" with Samsung's TouchWiz Nature UX. With their UX, there is a second or so delay before you land back on the home screen. It's not lag and easily rectified either through Developer Options, or a mod on XDA if you want a smoother transition. The SpeedTest app was simply loading. What's there to talk about? It wasn't lag. If it was lagging, he probably would have had a hard time exiting. Apps on iOS load too, most of the time you're just too distracted with the *pretty loading screen* they put there to realize it.

Easy Solution: Always run a damn custom ROM. Despise stock ROMs. Destory them. Run that freshly baked AOKP, or whatever AOSP ROM you can find. Just do it.

Dammit. I just fed the beast. Again.

EDIT:
The settings on my Note II to make the transitions faster is in the settings under Developers Option, Transition Animation. Change the setting to 0.5 or lower for faster transition. This will remove any appearance of lag that a few people are mentioning.

Just wanted to add that this applies to all Android devices (4.0+ at least, I don't remember about ~2.3).

Krimsonmyst
Apr 25, 2013, 12:27 AM
You also have to remember that FCs on Android will actually say - "<X app> has stopped working".

On iOS they'll just close, or it'll just go back to the home screen. I've seen a few threads here on MR that show the crash logs on iPhones (jailbroken phones only), and there is stuff crashing on iPhones left right and centre. It's just not as obvious, apparently.

Apollo 13
Apr 25, 2013, 03:25 AM
I have a Retina Macbook Pro which is far faster than your Macbook Air and it occasionally FC and lags just like ANY computer.

well I have a high powered PC and it doesn't lag at all. Better stop buying those over priced lagging Apple PCs.

Anyways I did see a video review that the S4 had occasional lag. If I had to pick between the two phones it would be a hard choice. The features are nice on the S4 but also gimmicky so I would most likly not use them. I would probably shoot for the HTC One cuz of the build and I don't put cases on my phones anyways, so that plastic on the S4 would bother me along with it being light weight which would make it feel like a cheap toy.

fredaroony
Apr 25, 2013, 06:04 AM
well I have a high powered PC and it doesn't lag at all. Better stop buying those over priced lagging Apple PCs.

Anyways I did see a video review that the S4 had occasional lag. If I had to pick between the two phones it would be a hard choice. The features are nice on the S4 but also gimmicky so I would most likly not use them. I would probably shoot for the HTC One cuz of the build and I don't put cases on my phones anyways, so that plastic on the S4 would bother me along with it being light weight which would make it feel like a cheap toy.

Sure it does...all computers lag at some point.

mattopotamus
Apr 25, 2013, 06:58 AM

I would probably also go with the HTC one. The air gestures look very gimmicky. The slight delay and not scrolling exactly to where I want would be more of a burden than a use. I see most people using them to "show off" a feature. That rare time when I have dirty hands I may use them.

cynics
Apr 25, 2013, 07:26 AM

Can you take your iPhone 5 and goto Settings > General > About > Diagnostic & Usage > Diagnostic & Usage Data then scroll to Latest crash section and post a screen shot like this...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/25/me4y5uty.jpg

Those are apps that have crashed. Some of those are native apps, springboard means the entire OS crashed. I can't count the times even on two hands an app has crash on iOS since I did a restore 2 months ago.

Just because it doesn't say the app crashed doesn't mean it didn't. BTW I'm not saying Android is better or anything just feel like you might be in slight denial of how buggy iOS apps can be.

Tinmania
Apr 25, 2013, 11:24 AM
Can you take your iPhone 5 and goto Settings > General > About > Diagnostic & Usage > Diagnostic & Usage Data then scroll to Latest crash section and post a screen shot like this...

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/25/me4y5uty.jpg)
It's great that you go through the effort, Cyn. But from what I see the people you ask to do this are not about to admit there is any problem with iOS. I can see some going as far as fully resetting the device so there is nothing in that section. Even if they oblige and post a screen shot.... would it really be believable?

Michael

MacRumorUser
Apr 25, 2013, 11:38 AM
I like how an S4 v HTC One thread went to iOS v Android .......

If I get the Samsung S4 tomorrow I'll let you all know how it compares to the HTC one.

My HTC one is being sent off for refund or replacement due to a lens fault, but will leave me without a phone for a week, so I'm tempted to pick up the S4 tomorrow and see what it's like and then when I'm refunded or replaced I'll decide which to keep.

The HTC one for me is great, I really like Sense OS and it's aesthetics, and the phone handset itself is a thing of real beauty. I have no issues with buttons or power button placement.

My biggest gripe is CAMERA. After nearly three weeks I'm not sure 3.8 megapixels is enough, and whilst the new camera software released today goes some way to rectifying HDR etc.. It still doesnt mask the fact that 3.8 megapixels is not a lot, and 8 megapixel camera would pack considerably more detail. I have found that I actually don't shoot photos in lowlight conditions so the benefit of 'ultrapixel' technology is lost on me.

The Samsung S4, pretty much the only thing I'm convinced about is the camera, I know it's going to be good. As for Touchwiz, I remain unconvinced its for me, and the aesthetics of the phone are just not a patch on the HTC one, though I do like the smart cover case idea.

So there we go. My carrier has the S4 available tomorrow, I am going to be without a smartphone tomorrow, now to decide do I take a chance on the S4 ? If anything I'd almost be more tempted to look at the Xperia Z but the greasy finger print screen would drive me nuts.

LIVEFRMNYC
Apr 25, 2013, 12:17 PM

If you read the OP, it doesn't even match his own thread title besides the video link. Obvious troll indicator.

cynics
Apr 25, 2013, 12:24 PM
It's great that you go through the effort, Cyn. But from what I see the people you ask to do this are not about to admit there is any problem with iOS. I can see some going as far as fully resetting the device so there is nothing in that section. Even if they oblige and post a screen shot.... would it really be believable?

Michael

I just enjoy ending conversations. :)

I've asked a dozen people on here to post the same thing when they say how stable iOS is. I've yet to get a screenshot back. I'm not saying they don't exist just haven't seen it yet. :)

johnjefferson
Apr 25, 2013, 01:20 PM

As I said, I can count on one hand the number of times an app has crashed on my iPhone or iPad :)

jrswizzle
Apr 25, 2013, 01:24 PM

If I get the Samsung S4 tomorrow I'll let you all know how it compares to the HTC one.

My HTC one is being sent off for refund or replacement due to a lens fault, but will leave me without a phone for a week, so I'm tempted to pick up the S4 tomorrow and see what it's like and then when I'm refunded or replaced I'll decide which to keep.

The HTC one for me is great, I really like Sense OS and it's aesthetics, and the phone handset itself is a thing of real beauty. I have no issues with buttons or power button placement.

My biggest gripe is CAMERA. After nearly three weeks I'm not sure 3.8 megapixels is enough, and whilst the new camera software released today goes some way to rectifying HDR etc.. It still doesnt mask the fact that 3.8 megapixels is not a lot, and 8 megapixel camera would pack considerably more detail. I have found that I actually don't shoot photos in lowlight conditions so the benefit of 'ultrapixel' technology is lost on me.

The Samsung S4, pretty much the only thing I'm convinced about is the camera, I know it's going to be good. As for Touchwiz, I remain unconvinced its for me, and the aesthetics of the phone are just not a patch on the HTC one, though I do like the smart cover case idea.

So there we go. My carrier has the S4 available tomorrow, I am going to be without a smartphone tomorrow, now to decide do I take a chance on the S4 ? If anything I'd almost be more tempted to look at the Xperia Z but the greasy finger print screen would drive me nuts.

I look forward to seeing your impressions of the GS4.....

I'm considering setting up a dummy line to get my HTC One sooner....gonna try and snag a used GS3 from my brother-in-law as well to try out touchwiz and the Samsung experience (which I hope shouldn't be too far off from a GS4).

Still gotta figure out how I'd pay for the two devices.....just got caught up finances-wise from our house purchase last fall! :p Likely, if the wife allows, I'll just set up the dummy line and buy the HTC One....save myself the trips during lunch to the BBY Mobile store to play with their demo model every other day!

LIVEFRMNYC
Apr 25, 2013, 01:28 PM
As I said, I can count on one hand the number of times an app has crashed on my iPhone or iPad :)

You have 18 fingers on one hand. :eek:

jrswizzle
Apr 25, 2013, 01:29 PM
I just enjoy ending conversations. :)

I've asked a dozen people on here to post the same thing when they say how stable iOS is. I've yet to get a screenshot back. I'm not saying they don't exist just haven't seen it yet. :)

Launch day iPhone 5 - no resets to wipe the diagnostics or anything (hadn't ever even looked here until today....). Scrolling up and down yields low memory warnings, no crashes. All the crashes fit on this page.

Check out crittercisms statistics - iOS 6 vs. Android 4.2. They are almost both equally stable, with iOS 6 only being slightly more so (1.15% vs. 1.5% crash rates).

This is a stupid argument......the real issue is, what percentage of Android phones are on 4.2 (or even 4.0 for that matter) versus the number which are on iOS 6. Because back in the 2.x and 3.x days of Android, the crash rates were considerably higher (as were earlier versions of iOS).

johnjefferson
Apr 25, 2013, 01:36 PM
You have 18 fingers on one hand. :eek:

Do you see 18 crashes? :rolleyes:

LIVEFRMNYC
Apr 25, 2013, 02:20 PM
Do you see 18 crashes? :rolleyes:

I stand corrected. Your now missing fingers.

YourAvgUser
Apr 25, 2013, 02:41 PM
I stand corrected. Your now missing fingers.

Wouldn't worry about this guy, either doesn't know what he's talking about or can't read.

fredaroony
Apr 25, 2013, 04:19 PM

If

Funny because I've had a few HTC devices, in fact still have a HTC One X, and I don't like the new Sense at all. To me it seems like they went overboard with the styling, that my personal opinion though.

HTC were quite brave to launch this phone with this type of camera, I guess we see how it goes for them. Having said that, the One X and One X+ were great phones but it didn't seem to help them much. To me, they were better than the S3.

Apollo 13
Apr 25, 2013, 05:05 PM

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/25/me4y5uty.jpg)

Those are apps that have crashed. Some of those are native apps, springboard means the entire OS crashed. I can't count the times even on two hands an app has crash on iOS since I did a restore 2 months ago.

Just because it doesn't say the app crashed doesn't mean it didn't. BTW I'm not saying Android is better or anything just feel like you might be in slight denial of how buggy iOS apps can be.

didn't know that was built into ios. I actually checked mind and notice I don't have app crashes like yours and I have a lot of apps and my phone is jailbroken. I see a few MailCompositions, few webbookmarkedsd, and 1 Springboard crash. I rarely see crashes on my phone and at this point if I did with all the stuff I have installed I would do a system restore because I would had installed something bad.

*EDIT* checked ipad 2 has a lot of crashes mostly low memory, 1 netflix, 1 facebook, and 3 chrome.

Tinmania
Apr 25, 2013, 05:35 PM
*EDIT* checked ipad 2 has a lot of crashes mostly low memory, 1 netflix, 1 facebook, and 3 chrome.

Yes sometimes when apps crash they don't get a log entry of their own, but instead it's in a low memory entry.

For example Huffington Post app crashes just about every day for me. But there are only about 10 log entries for Huffington Post. If I check in the low memory logs I can find many more.

As already mentioned though, at this point in time there is little point trying to claim either iOS or Android crash more than the other. They are both about equal and that is not saying either are bad. I would only add that some might think iOS is a lot less since you are not told about a crash--you are just back at the home screen (My aunt: "hmmm, guess I hit the home button" ;)).

Michael

johnjefferson
Apr 25, 2013, 06:12 PM
Regardless, my point still stands. Only the biggest of Android fan boys could make a claim that Android runs smoother and force closes less than iOS. I have had many Android phones over the years from the Hero and Evo to the Galaxy S series and Note. The Android OS still needs work, hell, even their own main devs admit its not where they want it to be yet. I still may go back to Android, but after seeing brand new phones with quadcore processors running the current OS stuttering and force closing apps over a short 12 minute video, I am not ready yet. Unacceptable.

LIVEFRMNYC
Apr 25, 2013, 07:03 PM
Regardless, my point still stands. Only the biggest of Android fan boys could make a claim that Android runs smoother and force closes less than iOS.

I guess I'm a big Android fanboy, cause the S3 is smoother than any iOS device I've used.

spinedoc77
Apr 25, 2013, 07:32 PM
Not sure who the hell rated iPhone 5 battery life on wifi that high. I've never gotten that much time on wifi usually it's a solid 6 or so hours when i'm browsing on wifi not even streaming video or music, strictly browsing. I don't trust it :)

Yeah, how in hell did the ip5 get better battery life than the note 2? I can have the note 2 running navigation with the screen on all day and it still lasts much longer than an iPhone 5 only being talked on. Something is weird with those specs.

adnbek
Apr 25, 2013, 08:30 PM
Yeah, how in hell did the ip5 get better battery life than the note 2? I can have the note 2 running navigation with the screen on all day and it still lasts much longer than an iPhone 5 only being talked on. Something is weird with those specs.

I think it's all explained here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/the-iphone-5-review/12

Essentially, at idle states, the cpu in the iPhone 5 draws far less power than the cpus on most smartphhones today, hence why we see better battery performance in tests that involves the cpu throttling down to idle quickly.

Under load however, it draws considerably more power than the average CPU so in tests that keep the CPU active and at max load, it'll drain quicker.

Hence, why the tests show the iPhone 5 doing very well in some tests, but being a total battery hog in others.

mib1800
Apr 25, 2013, 09:34 PM

It could be that you have just rebooted the phone. ;)

Lindsford
Apr 25, 2013, 10:21 PM

Agreed I love Apple stuff but somethings fishy here, specially if thats suppose to be usage? :confused: Not really sure whats going on there

Essentially, at idle states, the cpu in the iPhone 5 draws far less power than the cpus on most smartphhones today, hence why we see better battery performance in tests that involves the cpu throttling down to idle quickly.

Under load however, it draws considerably more power than the average CPU so in tests that keep the CPU active and at max load, it'll drain quicker.

Hence, why the tests show the iPhone 5 doing very well in some tests, but being a total battery hog in others.

Never seen 9 hours screen time on wife is all i'm saying, even with brightness down. Stand by for me is great on iphone 5 unless im somewhere with 1/2 bars then obviously by the end of the day it's game over for the little guy :(

spinedoc77
Apr 26, 2013, 03:48 AM

Hmm these tests were with web browsing, does the ip5 throttle down that much while actively web browsing? Interesting.

adnbek
Apr 26, 2013, 05:32 AM
Hmm these tests were with web browsing, does the ip5 throttle down that much while actively web browsing? Interesting.

It's explained on the next page. They load pages at regular intervals while pausing for a brief moment in between. (to simulate real world use)

Since the phone is quite fast at loading up and rendering the page, it can throttle down pretty quickly and consume very little power till the next page load.

AutoUnion39
Apr 26, 2013, 07:54 AM
I guess I'm a big Android fanboy, cause the S3 is smoother than any iOS device I've used.

Meh. I've owned more than enough Androids. There's still some lag every so often

LSUtigers03
Apr 26, 2013, 01:25 PM
Meh. I've owned more than enough Androids. There's still some lag every so often

My iPhone 5 lags sometimes. Every phone will do it from time to time.

fredaroony
Apr 26, 2013, 03:39 PM

Meh. All iPhones lag every so often along with every other device made.

scott craft
Apr 26, 2013, 05:28 PM
To me as good as the new phones are that are available now there are many variables to consider when picking one, but lag is pretty far down on the list.

TacticalDesire
Apr 27, 2013, 02:29 PM
This lag issue is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY overblown. I've experienced it on all platforms. Windows, OSX, iOS, Android. Does that mean any of said platforms are bad? Does that mean they're all inherently laggy ALL the time because of a few issues now and then? I experience much less lag on my Nexus 4 compared to my iPad and Touch 5 but that's because the Nexus 4 is much more powerful. I'm not going to run around saying that since my iPad lags now and then that iOS is laggier than Android and vice versa. This is pathetic.

fredaroony
Apr 27, 2013, 02:59 PM
This lag issue is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY overblown. I've experienced it on all platforms. Windows, OSX, iOS, Android. Does that mean any of said platforms are bad? Does that mean they're all inherently laggy ALL the time because of a few issues now and then? I experience much less lag on my Nexus 4 compared to my iPad and Touch 5 but that's because the Nexus 4 is much more powerful. I'm not going to run around saying that since my iPad lags now and then that iOS is laggier than Android and vice versa. This is pathetic.

Yes it's one of the last things a troll uses to pick on Android about without realising that all devices lag at some point...even Apple's.

spinedoc77
Apr 27, 2013, 08:46 PM

Android has lagged much more than ios in my experience. Its not the end of the world and its really not a big deal breaker, but at least in my experience its true so I know others with the same experience aren't trolling. But you are right, its overblown, it rarely affects function other than the uncommon freezing I've had happen in android, but this is much less common than the lag. I'm not the biggest fan of ios but I can't remember it ever having lagged in the years I've used it, except if the hardware was too weak like using a ip4 with ios6, now that lags like crazy. I'd be tempted to say the guys who say it lags are the ones running jb on old hardware, but I'm running a note 2.

I'd assume we are mature enough to not call those of us who experience lag liars, exaggerators or trolls, but unfortunately that's exactly what's happening. Makes it tough to have a mature factual discussion, but hey its an internet forum.

Gathomblipoob
Apr 27, 2013, 11:50 PM
...but hey its an internet forum.

That's all that needs to be said. :D

daveathall
Apr 28, 2013, 12:42 PM
I have owned iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, SGS3 and a Nexus 4, none of them lagged, stuttered or shut down unexpectedly, none of them were attacked with malware, spyware or viruses, all were updated in timely fashion and all could access the main apps on both platforms, all of them easily fitted into my pockets and none of them disintegrated, scratched or bent out of shape by me just looking at them. All were superb phones.

I must be very lucky. :rolleyes:

adnbek
May 17, 2013, 09:45 PM

I don't think it's overblown. I find using Facebook, Flipboard and a few other apps unpleasant on my Nexus 7 but they're smooth as silk on the iPad. One may not notice the lag as much or think it's a big deal if that's what they're used to, but the difference can be drastic to the point of frustration when you've tried the same apps on both OSes.

Tinmania
May 21, 2013, 10:54 AM
I don't think it's overblown. I find using Facebook, Flipboard and a few other apps unpleasant on my Nexus 7 but they're smooth as silk on the iPad. One may not notice the lag as much or think it's a big deal if that's what they're used to, but the difference can be drastic to the point of frustration when you've tried the same apps on both OSes.

You are comparing apps. If I did that the iPad would be the laggiest device I own, not counting my nostalgic iPhone 1. The reason is that I mostly use it to read news--the Huffington Post app. That app truly sucks on the iPad. But on my Note 2 it flys and I can actually share articles to more than just fb, twitter, or email.

As for graphics-intensive games, Real Racing 3 loads faster on my Note 2 than iPad or iPhone.

I have to agree with the assertion that the lag thing is overblown. It seems it is either iOS users living in the past or Android users who, remembering the bona fide lag of yesteryear, strive to find it today.

Michael

Orlandoech
May 21, 2013, 11:07 AM
My iPhone 5 lags at times too lol.

I'm a huge iDevice/Apple fan, but not a fanboy.

I did a full restore yesterday and have 4 crashes already lol.

otismotive77
May 22, 2013, 09:32 AM
it shouldn't have been a tie.
none of them is perfect, but htc one suites me better.
the best phone from samsung was the note 2, loved it.

ppeyton1143
May 22, 2013, 10:50 AM
it shouldn't have been a tie.
none of them is perfect, but htc one suites me better.
the best phone from samsung was the note 2, loved it.

no, the reviewer made the right decision, it is a tie, whoever wants more features should go for the s4 and whoever wants the metallic body and blinkfeed should go for the htc one.