PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth stereo headset

toronado455
Apr 24, 2013, 01:39 PM
Is there a good quality bluetooth stereo headset (with mic) that will work with the Mac OS X 10.6.8 MacBook Pro (SandyBridge mid-2011 model) and possibly also with iOS/iPad (current version)? Price range $100 - $200 USD?

Rossatron
Apr 24, 2013, 04:00 PM
Hey,

I am also looking for such headphones. From what I gather,your emphasis should be on a) battery life b) comfort and c) apt-x driver support.
The first two are obvious; the third is a sound driver (codec?) that broadcasts audio over Bluetooth at a superior quality than what other headphones can deliver.

Unfortunately, these headphones are quite expansive. Some are just a bit over $200, and others are in the $400 region. After reading quite a lot, these are the models that i am considering buying, so you can use them as refrance points:

1) Sony MDR-1R. Pay attention to what model are you looking at - there is a Bluetooth model (designated BT) and noise canceling model (designated NC) but I don't know if its also BT. The BT model is just in your price range iirc, but the NC is quite a bit more.

2) Harman - kardon BT. This is the model I am most leaning towards, but its a bit more than what you are looking for (again, iirc; check prices in your favorite store).

3) Jabra Revo Wireless. These (from what I gather) are very good. Only issue is they are not the most comfortable ones, as they produce noticeable pressure on the ears. Some people stretch the head band over some box or something, but I think they are just ruining it, and anyway they go back to previous shape after sometime. They are, I think, the cheapest of the three.

I hope this has helped you

toronado455
Apr 25, 2013, 03:43 PM
The reason I think Bluetooth would be good is the iPad and MacBook Pro both support Bluetooth. Wireless is nice, but it isn't a high priority for me for this particular purchase.

Bluetooth wouldn't be a necessity for me if the headset had the proper connectors to work with both the MacBook and the iPad. I believe the iPad has a 4-ring type 3.5mm connector which would support a stereo headset with mic. If the headset had the ability to switch between using a 4-ring type 3.5mm plug and either USB or regular separate headphone and mic jacks for use with the MacBook Pro, then that would also be fine with me.

But the headset needs to be the on-ear or over-ear type, not in-ear.

Rossatron
Apr 26, 2013, 05:17 AM
If Bluetooth isn't necessary, you can go for bowers&wilkins p3 which is very good. I *think* that model comes with two cables: one regular, and other for iPhone / ipad (but check to make sure)

toronado455
Apr 26, 2013, 04:22 PM
If Bluetooth isn't necessary, you can go for bowers&wilkins p3 which is very good. I *think* that model comes with two cables: one regular, and other for iPhone / ipad (but check to make sure)I don't like those because of the fabric. Have you considered the non-bluetooth version of the Harmon Kardon called "Classic"?

Rossatron
Apr 27, 2013, 05:53 AM
I don't like those because of the fabric. Have you considered the non-bluetooth version of the Harmon Kardon called "Classic"?

well, no, because i'm looking for a BT headphones. the CL/BT/NC models are basically the same design-wise (as far as i know) so i think the CL will be just as good.

toronado455
Apr 28, 2013, 12:44 PM
May i know your budget? If you spend $300, then nothing crosses Soul by Ludacris. They are the best noise cancelling bluetooth headsets in the market in the given range.Budget is stated in first post. (trying to stay <$200) I'm not interested in so-called "noise-cancelling" technology. If the headphones include this "feature", then they must also have the ability to switch it off.

----------

well, no, because i'm looking for a BT headphones. the CL/BT/NC models are basically the same design-wise (as far as i know) so i think the CL will be just as good.Have you considered the Sennheiser MM400-X (http://en-us.sennheiser.com/bluetooth-headset-smart-mobile-phone-stereo-mm-400-x)?

Rossatron
Apr 28, 2013, 01:06 PM
[/COLOR]Have you considered the Sennheiser MM400-X (http://en-us.sennheiser.com/bluetooth-headset-smart-mobile-phone-stereo-mm-400-x)?[/QUOTE]

i have, but it's on-ear, meaning it's not really "glasses friendly" (i wear glasses all the time)

toronado455
Apr 28, 2013, 01:20 PM
i have, but it's on-ear, meaning it's not really "glasses friendly" (i wear glasses all the time)

Oh, didn't realize that. I'm not sure they are even for sale in the USA.

Are over-ear type better for use with glasses?

Rossatron
Apr 28, 2013, 01:49 PM
Oh, didn't realize that. I'm not sure they are even for sale in the USA.

Are over-ear type better for use with glasses?

well, that's a tough question. it really depends on what the headband is made of, how yield-y is it, and from what material the "cans" are made of. here is were the reviews come in, and you really need to dig in them to get a hint of how the headphones may feel (you can't always try them) and since different companies make their headphones differently, it's a bit of a headache.

in that term, what i'm looking for is a very soft cup (preferably, leather, as the man-made substitute is not as soft), a springy headband that is firm, but has some give. oh, and memory foam inside the cups, so the headphones get the shape of your glasses temple, and produce less stress. in every review i have read on the H/K their comfortability was mentioned as one if their strong points. plus, you get 2 headbands, so you get more customisation.
thing is, that with on-ear headphones you have two "pain-spots" from the pressure: one is your ear against the glasses, and the second is the glasses against your head. if worse comes to worst, at least with over-the ear you just have glasses against head :rolleyes:

Rossatron
Apr 29, 2013, 12:23 PM
i found some reviews at the apple store's website about the harman/kardon. 2 users (with glasses) said they were comfortable. 1 user said they weren't.
also, i have read that the p3 are good for glasses wearer (in contrast to p5)

toronado455
Apr 30, 2013, 01:34 AM
this link should help you out:

http://www.complex.com/tech/2011/08/the-10-best-over-ear-headphones-under-200/

I personally like the V Moda Crossfade but...any one of them should do justice to your ears .

Thanks. When checking these out, it seems the microphones included with them are designed for taking calls on an iPhone.

My application for the mic would be recording voice for podcasting, or doing internet telephony like Skype. I don't know if the microphones on these could be used in either of those scenarios.

I'm also not a big fan of mic being inline in the cord because any movement might cause noise as it brushes up against clothing. But I suppose if you were to clip it down, it might work OK.

Rossatron
May 4, 2013, 04:06 PM
So I came across this video. Not very long, but notice how he says they are comfortable - and he's a glasses wearer which makes it more relevant
youtube.com/watch?v=Dz8OsY8R3Hw

toronado455
May 4, 2013, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the replies. I've decided to get a separate USB mic for recording, and regular non-bluetooth headphones. Maybe at some point I'll get a bluetooth headset, but not now.

macbookgal
May 17, 2013, 03:32 AM
Would you consider the Harmon Kardon BT if you can pick it up for $124.99? That is totally within your budget. It's on clearance in local Best Buy stores only (can't buy online). I found one and am quite pleased with it, but it's a little heavy.

I am also testing the Jaybird Bluebuds X, which I picked up on sale for $139.99 from Frys electronic a week ago, and they sound pretty good too! Trying to decide which to keep or both, since they are different.

Good luck with your search!