PDA

View Full Version : Voice to text

bigsnowdog
Apr 24, 2013, 04:32 PM
It seems OSX is not very good with respect to voice to text [to dictate into a word processor, such as Word. I had someone tell me the iPad has dictation capability. Is it the same software as OSX? Or is it better?

bigsnowdog
Apr 24, 2013, 10:22 PM
Hello, anyone?

PM-Performance
Apr 25, 2013, 05:26 AM
Not sure if it is the same as in OSX, but I could only assume so.
I use the voice to text on my iphone at times and I think it works very good. Esp compared to my Android phones.

Ipad has the same engine.

pommie82
Apr 25, 2013, 08:17 AM
i don't mean to sounds horrible here but to be honest these voice to text programs aren't very good and they do spell words wrong for example Siri is far from perfect at the end of the day every speaks slightly different and no speech app or software is going to cope with it.My best advice for you would be to learn to touch type then you are not been tied up on to a piece of software
that would be your best plan i can type about 80 words per minute touch typing don't get me wrong it hard work to learn but believe me it does pay off in the long time because you can just type and not worry about it at all.i can type about 32 lines every 2 minutes roughly other thing about this voice program sometimes this voice software needs a data connection you don't even need a connection to touch type.i will admit you cannot type faster then using your voice but voice programs are just more hassle the there worth i have tried a lot of them in the past and they all about the same really not very good and i have always gone back to my touch typing and carrying on with it and improving all the time.i have tried natural dragon speaking and a few others and thinking they are going to solve my programs and at the end of the day i thought this is wasting my time and doesn't seem to be saying what i say.Trust me if you learn to touch type and if you stick with it then it does pay of it really does I never look at the keys now it has come to the stage where i look at the keys now i make mistakes i never bother looking at them i will admit the early stages of learning to touch type it will pull your hair out but you have to just grit you teeth and keep going back to it and in time you will get that muscle memory and you would be able to do it without even looking at the keyboard all the voice programs sounds awesome and it like great i have found the perfect solution so that i don't have to type and trust me no of them work at all.I have spent about 2 weeks trying to train dragons naturally speaking to learn my voice and it was no better off for when i started off with it and i have a expensive headset to go with it too.The time i have messed about with this speech programs and sorted out all my mistakes i could of done a page or even more

I still practice my typing every day with a program i use just to keep my hand in so that i don't lose my speed i have worked hard to get this speed and i want to keep this speed what i am at now 10 mins of typing is nothing really to keep your speed or even a couple of times of week would be fine to keep your hands on the keys

Here is a good little program which is not very hard to learn to get you going and get typing i am sure you will pick up the basics in no time a couple of weeks i should of thought and you would be doing it well

http://www.kaz-type.com

This is the program that i used to get me going couple of weeks i had the basics sorted out

I hope this helps you out and gets you going in the touch typing world
if you have any questions just send me a message and i would be more then willing to help you