PDA

View Full Version : More iBook updates?

mcpix
Oct 26, 2005, 10:33 AM
Just when you thought the "New iBook next Tuesday" threads had died...

I'm no insider, but I do visit the refurb section of the Apple store on a regular basis. In addition to older models, it's not unusual for refurb versions of current models to also appear for sale. However, when current models appear with deep discounts it may mean something. Recently when Mac Mini models appeared it meant a quiet upgrade.

Today the refurb store has 12" iBooks for $799. That's a 21% discount on the current model and by far the cheapest price I've seen.

I'm both tempted to buy one, and also to wait and see.

miloblithe
Oct 26, 2005, 10:44 AM
There's not room for much of an upgrade though, if any, considering the state of the PowerBooks. I'd doubt there's anything coming soon.

mcpix
Oct 26, 2005, 11:26 AM
Yes, that's true.

However, it could be something as simple as a bigger hard drive, or even the long rumored wide screeen iBooks.

ipacmm
Oct 26, 2005, 11:33 AM
I feel that the next ibook update will be an intel ibook.

Danksi
Oct 26, 2005, 12:15 PM
What's the deal with refurbs? Do you still get the same warrenty as new? Applecare available etc?

Refurbs don't appear to be available in the Canadian Online Store though.. :(

shadowmoses
Oct 26, 2005, 12:44 PM
I think there alot of re-furns of iBooks going around because they are probably one of the best selling mac's and therefore they must have alot returned with problems or just because the customer was unsatisfied, therefore they re-furb them and sell them online....

From what i have seen there have been refreshed and refurb ibooks (current rev) on sale from apple since August/September

SHadow

rosalindavenue
Oct 26, 2005, 01:01 PM
I did not bother to look today but often the lowest priced ibook refurbs are CD-rom (not combo drive) models-- returns or left-overs from education orders. Given the non-upgrades to the 12" powerbook, and the fact that the ibooks are so close to the 12" powerbook, I agree with the posters above that this is the last G4 ibook, unless there are delays with the intel chips.

iAFC
Oct 26, 2005, 03:48 PM
Can we expect some updates for iBook in January at the Macworld keynote?