Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
Not very terrifying .. unless you were in a place that they might not think it was funny. ;) Not quite the Sad Mac, but it lead to one.

In the era of the mid 1990's when you had to prove your computer .. was really a computer, to the airport security people.

I pulled it out, lifted the lid, and spun it around. I knew something was wrong when I saw the look on the persons face change.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Not terrifying, but frustrating or disheartening, especially when you've been waiting for that new RAM to arrive, pop it in and.....

Though the QuadraAV sound was hilarious!

http://soundcloud.com/xadammr/quadra-death

What's more hilarious is the Pokemon rest sound that comes up afterwards. LOL'd so hard. I love the stash of sounds there.

I'm pretty sure Google took a hint from Sad Mac for the Aw, Snap! guy.

tumblr_ltis6njJj91qeoac9.gif

Giuly

macrumors 68040
What's more hilarious is the Pokemon rest sound that comes up afterwards. LOL'd so hard. I love the stash of sounds there.

I'm pretty sure Google took a hint from Sad Mac for the Aw, Snap! guy.

Gmail is a little more disturbing.
photo.jpg

I don't think the Sad Mac was more terrifying than this:
9124028-1.jpg

It could mean as little as you forgot to insert the system floppy before powering the Mac up.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I miss the old sad mac. And the bomb....

The only time I was really sad to get the sad mac was after adding some ram to my old LCIII. I installed it wrong thankfully!

Reactions: grahamperrin

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
2002:

Maybe too late for @G4scott but never too late for Apple collectors … two days ago, OS X 10.9.5 (Mavericks) presented the following gem in response to a kernel panic of a remote controlled bleeding edge version of PC-BSD:

View attachment 568515

Amazing! So it doesn't display that black popup with different languages anymore? Used to get that in my 06 C2D MBP.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Ah, the good old days. That and the bomb.

Nothing quite like having to go into MacsBug afterward and see if it was fixable.

Reactions: grahamperrin

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… that black popup with different languages …

That was how a Mac appeared with a crash of Mac OS X (Lion or earlier). Archived by Apple:
The screenshot above was of a Mac working normally, not crashing; I used Screen Sharing (a core service app) to remotely control a nearby notebook with PC-BSD, and PC-BSD crashed.

If it's an easter egg, I haven't yet found its origin. It may be in, or associated with, a VNC server that's on or with PC-BSD. But I reckon, the easter egg is more likely in something associated with Screen Sharing (an Apple VNC client) …

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Oh, excitement over. Not an easter egg, almost certainly just a coincidence: the sad Mac part of the BSOD hack on version 5.29 of XScreenSaver was probably the last thing on screen before my first ever crash of a bleeding edge version of PC-BSD a kernel panic screensaver. Credit to LooX and tigersharke in IRC for PC-BSD for the hint.

There is a warning from XScreenSaver 5.29, about its outdated nature, whenever I log in to the Lumina desktop environment. It's feasible that the BSOD saver was contributory to the panic but somehow I doubt it. Screen Sharing aside, what I saw on the display of the panicked notebook suggested an issue involving swap space …

In simple terms: I was gullible, gullible, and then gullible!

Last edited:
Reactions: MacTech68

Rusty33

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2011
Australia
Ahhh...I still remember my very first time. Accidentally baked my very first apple product on the dash of my car. Evidently Johnny designed these things with a British summer in mind.
ipod-sad1.jpg

Unfortunately I have never been able to shake the associated trauma...what with having the serial number permanently branded on my hand.
2.jpg

Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China.

Peng6432

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2015
Gmail is a little more disturbing.
photo.jpg

I don't think the Sad Mac was more terrifying than this:
9124028-1.jpg

It could mean as little as you forgot to insert the system floppy before powering the Mac up.

Ok.... i never got both screens. Mostly because it's crash proof('cept for this incident when i was shutting down a vbox machine and the shutdown was too much for my mac.) And also i keep my messages in offline always.
And yes, the Powerbooks, PCI macs, Performa Power macs, and Power mac 6100 sad macs were atrocious

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.