Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
My buddy just installed Jaguar on his G4 tower 400mhz (the kind with the cartridge dvd-ram drive) and he didnt get iDVD. He want to get an external DVD-R drive but is concerned that he will have to pay for iDVD. I told him that if he has Jaguar iDvd comes with it. He insists that he will have to pay $20 for it. Is this true?

thanks in advance.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Is iDVD Free?

Originally posted by obeygiant
My buddy just installed Jaguar on his G4 tower 400mhz (the kind with the cartridge dvd-ram drive) and he didnt get iDVD. He want to get an external DVD-R drive but is concerned that he will have to pay for iDVD. I told him that if he has Jaguar iDvd comes with it. He insists that he will have to pay $20 for it. Is this true?

thanks in advance.

iDVD comes with any computer that comes with an internal DVD-R.

iDVD can be had for $20 as an "upgrade" - which will install even without an older version - but be warned that iDVD will NOT work with an external DVD-R.

arn

I recently bought an external DVD-RW drive (A05) from Firewire Direct, and have had all sorts of problems with it.

I've burned on disk successfully. One file, for some reason, refuses to be burned. One disk wouldn't complete verification and allow me to play back the movie file I burned onto it.

My point? I am currently also looking for a DVD-authoring solution for an external DVD burner, but the options are limited for us Mac-heads. From what I've learned so far, there are three DVD-authoring solutions available for Mac users with external burners.

1) Return your external drive, buy an internal DVD burner and then get iDVD for $20.

2) Get Formac's DVD-RW A05 external firewire drive which has their Devideon software bundled with it. That one'll set you back about $400, total.

3) Buy DVD Studio Pro for a *mere* grand.

I'm pissed, quite frankly. My burner/software combo ain't working (drive came bundled with Charismac's Discribe v5.0.27). I've contacted Firewire Direct and Charismac, but so far have gotten little help. I'm still waiting on a techie I've been in email contact with to get back to me. But I'm pretty much sold on the idea of returning this drive and getting Formac's solution.

If you or anyone else comes up with a better solution, shoot, let ME know.

conceptdev

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
DVD Solution

The LaCie Firewire DVD-rw works fine for me, I originally ordered the formac but after one month and no delivery date I cancelled that order. Toast Titanium has a DVD solution bundled with it for almost drives, I haven't tested it out yet. If your going to making more complex DVD with menus and multiple options though DVDSP is a must.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Originally posted by Kethoticus

If you or anyone else comes up with a better solution, shoot, let ME know.

Well, it seems there is a hack to make it work... but I didin't read everything on this page so look for yourself. Here.

It seems that once do it you won't be able to burn it from iDVD, but you can save the project and then use Toast to burn it.. or something like that.

Anyways, feel sorry for you man, this is one issue Apple definetely has to address. But, you should have checked to see if it works or not before hand, too. I know, it should work.. but, you know :D.

Good luck.

irmongoose

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.