PDA

View Full Version : 2 MacBook Air issues

Kobayagi
Apr 25, 2013, 08:14 AM
First of all, hi all, happy switcher here. But I'm having two quite annoying problems with my MacBook Air (13'' i5, 4GB ram). This is my first Mac, I bought it in october 2011. Since then, I've been enjoying Mac OSX, it has some nice features and looks, but I also feel it lacks some simplicity that, for instance, Windows Explorer has. Overall, I'm happy with how snappy it is etc. But these last few weeks, months maybe. I'm encountering two problems:

1: Kernel task is eating up the cpu and ram. It occurs at random points and I haven't been able to detect a pattern. It happens when I'm typing stuff for college, or just browsing and when using youtube. Seems like streaming videos takes up so much ram with Safari, the Flash player then uses a lot in the activity monitor.

The ram that kernel task is using just keeps going up and up, and the laptop just freezes. If I'm quick enough to detect that kernel task went nuts, I can manage to restart the laptop before it freezes. If not, holding the power button works.

I've googled on this problem and it seems like lots of people are having issues. But I haven't really found a good or simple solution to this problem. So if anyone knows how to fix this. Please share.

Problem 2:

When I start up my laptop, it often freezes on the loading screen. (the one with the loading icon under the Apple logo).
I feel like there's a 50/50 chance of it happening, so quite a lot. Even minutes before I typed this message, kernel task went crazy, I managed to restart it and but it froze on start up.
So if anyone knows what the problem might be, I'd love to hear what it is and how to fix it.

Anyway, I'll keep on searching for solutions and I hope some of you know how to fix these problems.

Thanks in advance.

Kobayagi
Apr 25, 2013, 06:33 PM
Tiny bump. I've been reading around problem #1. And it seems like there is a ''code'' which you can type into the console to make kernel task stop flipping out. Though I'm not sure if messing with these codes in the console is a safe thing to do.

Mrbobb
Apr 25, 2013, 10:13 PM
What version OSX and have u done anything that made u open the laptop's back cover?

How hard is the fan runs when these things happen?

Kobayagi
Apr 26, 2013, 05:40 AM
What version OSX and have u done anything that made u open the laptop's back cover?

How hard is the fan runs when these things happen?

I'm om 10.8.3. I haven't opened the laptop since I got it, it do have it on a small stand for better air circulation.

The fans go from being noiseless to really loud, that's how I know kernel task is doing it again.

Mrbobb
Apr 26, 2013, 11:18 AM
Just make sure the vents aren't blocked, specially under the hinge.

When stuff like this happen to me, I try to pin down which task(s) specifically is causing high cpu, but if u say u already did that... I can't think of what next.