Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theuserjohnny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Anyone own this tablet? How do you like it?

I got an email from Google saying the 8GB is only for 200 and my Mom has been wanting a tablet for a while.

My experience with the Google Nexus 4 has been great so I'm hoping the same can be said for the tablet.

I'd just set up a Google account for my Mom so that she can have all her music and such stored on the library and then get her a 25$ giftcard for any books or apps she wants to buy.

Obviously the competition would be between this an iPad Mini, or an iPad.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Yep, these are great tablets (I've got the 16gb version from launch day).

And in case you're worried about them being not user-friendly (as compared to an iPad or Mini), I've got two aunts who have them and neither of them are what I would call computer literate. They had absolutely no trouble at all after a few minutes with it.

theuserjohnny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Its a great tablet. The 16 GB model is actually only 200. The 8gb model is discontinued.

My bad you are right! It is the 16GB!

----------

it's a great tablet. powerful, fast, cheap. great combo. it'll be refreshed soon, though.

Yeah that's were I'm kinda worried but I think since it's for my mother she'll be fine. She's not like me where I play the refresh game (should I wait for it, or buy now).

----------

Yep, these are great tablets (I've got the 16gb version from launch day).

And in case you're worried about them being not user-friendly (as compared to an iPad or Mini), I've got two aunts who have them and neither of them are what I would call computer literate. They had absolutely no trouble at all after a few minutes with it.

That's good to hear. I'm sure once I set her up an google account and port her music and show her basic functionality she'll be fine.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I think an iPad is a better choice. Just easier to use. I let my dad use my S3 for a couple days and he hated it. Wanted to go back to his iPhone

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
I have one. Although it is not perfect, I like it a lot. My only complaint has nothing to do with the nexus 7 or android but that Google's stock browser chrome is not as smooth as it should be. But it will still work fine and you can also get other browsers like firefox if it bugs you.

Does your mother have a smartphone? If so then she will be fine with the Nexus 7. It is very simple, much more so than most Android phones imho.

Basically since you don't have to worry about any phone functions the jelly bean tablet ui is very simple and elegant and not that different from iOS (unless you want it to be).

Maybe you can sit with her while she sets the tablet up (get rid of the silly google play full screen widgets, show her how to get more apps, how to set up her home screen and add widgets etc.). It will take like 5min tops and then you'll know she will enjoy it for many months to come.

I know mother's day is around the corner but it might also be a good idea to wait for the next nexus 7 at Google IO?

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Anyone own this tablet? How do you like it?

I got an email from Google saying the 8GB is only for 200 and my Mom has been wanting a tablet for a while.

My experience with the Google Nexus 4 has been great so I'm hoping the same can be said for the tablet.

I'd just set up a Google account for my Mom so that she can have all her music and such stored on the library and then get her a 25$ giftcard for any books or apps she wants to buy.

Obviously the competition would be between this an iPad Mini, or an iPad.

I'd wait. Google I/O is in a few weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.