PDA

View Full Version : Some interesting tools from 3ivx-

madmaxmedia
Oct 26, 2005, 01:50 PM
3ivx has some cool stuff right now-

-Decoder so you can play most DIVX files in QuickTime
-Tool to convert AVI's to MOV, which can then be imported into iTunes (but not necessarily iPod)- Doctor Divx
-Tool to convert MPEG1/2 into MPEG4- Diva

http://www.3ivx.com/technology/quicktime/index.html

Right now, if you convert an AVI to MOV, you can then use QT Pro or some of the freeware type programs to convert to MPEG4 or H264 for iPod.

But they are developing a new program called Crush that will batch encode stuff, including for iPod-

http://forums.3ivx.com/index.php?act=ST&f=12&t=83905&st=0#entry416256

I'm hoping this becomes a one-size-fits-all tool for batch converting videos for iPod. Since they have other apps that can handle numerous file types, there's a decent chance that you'll be able to throw any number of different file types (avi, xvid, divx, MPEG1/2, ripped DVD's) and batch convert to iPod.

snowmoon
Oct 26, 2005, 01:53 PM
It's already possible to convert divx, xvid, and other mpeg-4 varients to quicktime WITHOUT reencoding using only freeware. Just as above that does not necessarly mean they will play on the iPod.

ffmpeg -i input.avi -vcodec copy -vtag mp4v -acodec copy -f mov output.mov

If the video is iPod compliant, but the audio is mp3...

ffmpeg -i input.avi -vcodec copy -vtag mp4v -acodec aac -ab 128 -f mov output.mov

madmaxmedia
Oct 26, 2005, 02:08 PM
It's already possible to convert divx, xvid, and other mpeg-4 varients to quicktime WITHOUT reencoding using only freeware. Just as above that does not necessarly mean they will play on the iPod.

ffmpeg -i input.avi -vcodec copy -vtag mp4v -acodec copy -f mov output.mov

If the video is iPod compliant, but the audio is mp3...

ffmpeg -i input.avi -vcodec copy -vtag mp4v -acodec aac -ab 128 -f mov output.mov

Right (that's why I mentioned such files could be imported into iTunes but not necessarily the iPod.)

Your encodings are great, but people need a one-step program that will convert various file types regardless of video or audio codecs. Batch processing, with the only option being final output resolution/quality.

ffmpegx is a great program, but even the GUI is too much for most people (much less command line.)

kgarner
Oct 26, 2005, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the links. That Divx Doctor looks like exactly what I was looking for.

madmaxmedia
Oct 26, 2005, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the links. That Divx Doctor looks like exactly what I was looking for.

It's a pretty cool program. The conversion is fast since it's not actually re-encoding the file. The final output may not be iPod-ready, but at least you can then play it with FrontRow.

There are a few freewares that allow you to use QuickTime to re-encode for iPod without having to pay for QTPro.

I guess ffmpegx could probably do the same thing? I don't know-

snowmoon
Oct 26, 2005, 09:30 PM
I guess ffmpegx could probably do the same thing? I don't know-

Yep.. all you are doing is re-packaging the video and audio data. The trick to making it .mov is to make sure the video get's tagged correctly so that QT can play it back.