Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sklimek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2013
File, codec question. I have switched from PC to iMac recently OS X 10.7 and need to convert my FLAC files to ALAC not only for iTunes but I also I have my eye on the Marantz NR1604 AVR receiver. In their tech specs they have stated that their model will read both WAV and ALAC files. I have chosen ALAC only because after reading for a bit on iTunes ALAC sounds like it is more likely to have the handshake for the metadata etc. OK, there are many FLAC to ALAC converters out there but each one gives not an ALAC but a .m4a file after conversion. So here is my question, I found that the .m4a is a container and the ALAC is an (Apple Lossless Audio Codec). Will my Marantz be able to read this .m4a file see that it is an ALAC file in the container and invite it to the party via iTunes.

Btw – I plan to use Airplay which is already installed on the Marantz and know that I will need to update to Mountain Lion.

Best!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
.m4a is the correct extension for ALAC and I often see Max recommended for conversion from FLAC.

I have no idea about support for your third-party device.

sklimek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2013
.m4a is the correct extension for ALAC and I often see Max recommended for conversion from FLAC.

I have no idea about support for your third-party device.

Hi Nermal, so there is no such extension as in .ALAC only .m4a?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.