Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
I am running an Mid 2007 imac 20" model: a1224, + 4GB RAM. Is my iMac capable of running Mountain Lion?

And is Mountain Lion the latest MacOS I should get?

And do I buy Mountain Lion from App Store and burn it to a normal DVD and run the DVD and it will upgreade my Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion?

Or what should I do?

Thank you.:)

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
There's no particularly compelling reason to do a fresh install unless you're having issues. I've upgraded to Mountain Lion without doing a complete reinstall on 3 computers without issue.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
There's no particularly compelling reason to do a fresh install unless you're having issues. I've upgraded to Mountain Lion without doing a complete reinstall on 3 computers without issue.

I just paid $20.99 on App Store and its downloading now :)

After it's downloaded, will it automatically upgrade without me needing to create DVDs etc? If so, how do I install Mountain Lion in the future if needed if I don't have the install DVDS?

Last edited:

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
I just upgraded to Mountain Lion, and it shows I have 2.59GB RAM free, yet the hard drive keeps grinding away, something which it never did on Snow Leopard. What's going on? Will the hard drive ever stop grinding away? It's driving me nuts! And the screen scrolling is so slow as a result!

:confused:

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I just upgraded to Mountain Lion, and it shows I have 2.59GB RAM free, yet the hard drive keeps grinding away, something which it never did on Snow Leopard. What's going on? Will the hard drive ever stop grinding away? It's driving me nuts! And the screen scrolling is so slow as a result!
It's probably Spotlight re-indexing your hard drive. Yes, it will stop, if you leave it alone (Spotlight, not your computer.) Though that shouldn't affect screen scrolling.
Use Activity Monitor to check what's hogging the CPU. If it's processes starting with "md", then it's Spotlight. IF not, then it's something else.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
It's probably Spotlight re-indexing your hard drive. Yes, it will stop, if you leave it alone (Spotlight, not your computer.) Though that shouldn't affect screen scrolling.
Use Activity Monitor to check what's hogging the CPU. If it's processes starting with "md", then it's Spotlight. IF not, then it's something else.

Yes I think it was spotlighting, it stopped now :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.