Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
What are the best ping rates for online games, I get on average 35.

I ask in respect of is there an area that is possibly best like 20 to 30 etc and what would be the worst ?

Last edited:

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
What are the best ping rates for online games, I get on average 35.

I ask in respect of is there an area that is possibly best like 20 to 30 etc and what would be the worst ?

Ping is just how long it takes a message to get from your Mac to the server, if you are playing with your next door neighbour you can have super low ping if you are playing in Australia and your opponent is in north east Canada your ping will be in the 100s if not much higher.

I have played games like Quake and Unreal Tournament on modems back in the late 90s with pings over 500! You just learn how to deal with it :)

Edwin

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Ping is just how long it takes a message to get from your Mac to the server, if you are playing with your next door neighbour you can have super low ping if you are playing in Australia and your opponent is in north east Canada your ping will be in the 100s if not much higher.

I have played games like Quake and Unreal Tournament on modems back in the late 90s with pings over 500! You just learn how to deal with it :)

Edwin

OK, thanks for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.