Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

notchfiend

Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Hello,

I am using MP3 Rage's Volume Control to normalize all my songs to one reference file. I have external hard drive where the songs are stored. I use my G5's 16GB RAM to make the happen in about an hour. It works just fine on the G5. I hear the new volume of the songs.

The problem occurs when I plug the external drive into my G4 iBook. The songs go back to the way they were. I have no way of knowing if this is exactly true save these methods: I keep having to adjust the songs' volume in iTunes, once I plug the external into my G4. The same goes for MegaSeg and Radiologik DJ.

Now, I know there is a differences between the sound on a G4 and on a G5. However, before I bought the G5, I had two iBook G4's. The same thing would happen. I would normalize without a hitch on one computer. But, once I plugged the external drive into my other G4 the sound difference was markedly noticeable in iTunes. Therefore, I know the G4/G5 variation isn't to blame.

I looked for a MP3 Rage or a Chaotic cache that I could copy from one computer to the other. But, I found none.

Again, I know the sound is changed at the ID3 level, which _should_ make it uniform across all computers, no matter what kind they are. But, it doesn't, at least not on my three.

I only have the computing power of my G5 for seven more days. I would like to get this issue solve well before then.

Will you please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
When you adjust the volume on an MP3 file, the audio data is not changed. There is a tag that says how to scale the volume. You have some very old computers and likely older version software too. In the past some software would look at that tag and other software would ignore it. Looks like that be the case here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.