Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menel

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
Played around with a friend's new HTC One.

It appears in the cellular data area, it tracks usage, and you can set warning and cutoff points.

It also looks like it tracks the monthly cycle? But it's unclear. Is this true? That's major.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

It appears in the cellular data area, it tracks usage, and you can set warning and cutoff points.

It also looks like it tracks the monthly cycle? But it's unclear. Is this true? That's major.

Yep. you can monitor how much mobile data you are using in the month..

jonAppleSeed

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2013
The question is... does it communicate to the carrier, and align each month to the billing cycle?

You have to chose the billing cycle yourself.
From what I have seen, it overestimates it by about 2MB per 100MB used.

Friends phone said 376MB used, carrier said 368MB.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

That's been built in Android since Ice Cream Sandwich.

----------

The question is... does it communicate to the carrier, and align each month to the billing cycle?

You set it to your billing cycle date.

----------

Isn't this feature available on all android phones?

Yes

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013

No, they don't align. In my experience carriers calculate data differently. Most carriers have apps that you can download that will help you monitor the amount of your data usage so you could use the phone data usage calculator and your carriers app and compare and see how differently they calculate data. You'd be surprised I bet.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
You have to set your own threshold and is available on all Android phones with Android 4.0 and above.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
No, they don't align. In my experience carriers calculate data differently. Most carriers have apps that you can download that will help you monitor the amount of your data usage so you could use the phone data usage calculator and your carriers app and compare and see how differently they calculate data. You'd be surprised I bet.

Mine has been incredibly accurate. Within 1-2 megabytes of about 3 gigabytes of use.

Data usage apps you can download from the play store are hit and miss.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.