Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Noctilux.95

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
LA
Just purchased a new HD for my Powerbook G4. I will do a fresh install and would love to know what OS will work best for my hardware.

My Powerbook specs are 1ghz G4, 2gig Ram, OS 10.4.11

Thanks!

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
If you want a load of eye-candy, quite a few 'new' features, (marginally) better security & better support then Leopard is the way to go. If you don't mind running even older versions of this & that (iTunes 10 is a biggie), and don't need Time Machine, Spaces etc. but would prefer lightning fast speed - then Tiger's the one for you.

Noctilux.95

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
LA
If you want a load of eye-candy, quite a few 'new' features, (marginally) better security & better support then Leopard is the way to go. If you don't mind running even older versions of this & that (iTunes 10 is a biggie), and don't need Time Machine, Spaces etc. but would prefer lightning fast speed - then Tiger's the one for you.

Leopard 10.5 or Snow Leopard 10.6.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Leopard 10.5 or Snow Leopard 10.6.
No.

Leopard is fine. Snow Leopard is Intel only. This is a PowerBook, which has a PowerPC chip. Snow Leopard will never ever work on a PowerBook/PowerMac.

And lest anyone else offers comment (rabidz7), NO, it can't be done using virtualization/emulation either.

As to the other post about Tiger being fast, Leopard is plenty fast (a bad rap Leopard gets). And while it seems to be only my experience, Tiger for me was unstable. Leopard is rock solid.

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
On older machines, like my Emac, Tiger performs better than Leopard, especially if you don't have 2GB RAM.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
No.

Leopard is fine. Snow Leopard is Intel only. This is a PowerBook, which has a PowerPC chip. Snow Leopard will never ever work on a PowerBook/PowerMac.

And lest anyone else offers comment (rabidz7), NO, it can't be done using virtualization/emulation either.

As to the other post about Tiger being fast, Leopard is plenty fast (a bad rap Leopard gets). And while it seems to be only my experience, Tiger for me was unstable. Leopard is rock solid.

All true for me as well. Never understood people's affection for Tiger. Leopard makes my iBook a faster and happier Mac.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

Loads of eye candy.:confused:

Leopard was and still is a solid OS, what you call eye candy is nonsense, the features are well thought of and all work well.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
Loads of eye candy.:confused:

Leopard was and still is a solid OS, what you call eye candy is nonsense, the features are well thought of and all work well.

he is using the "2007" definition of "eye candy"

slvswin7-part1-9.png

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
All static, not really eye candy, those could easily be changed by theming, different desktop picture-change the menu bar in the resources file and editing files inside the dock.
I guess your right though 2007 eye candy.

By 'eye-candy' I was more referring to the funky animation you get when moving in/out of TimeMachine, the zoom in/out you get when entering Spaces, the dock reflections when magnification is on, or Quick-look. Things like that. They're all functioning features that I, personally couldn't do without anymore. But the little things like that just got me frustrated when using my PowerBooks as they just didn't have the horsepower there to run it all that smoothly - and in the end, was ultimately the main reason I reverted back to Tiger.

Frost7

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Republic of Texas
I use 10.4.11 Tiger on my 1 GHz TiBook. Leopard just runs too slowly; but I also max out at 1 GB of RAM, not 2GB, so that may have a lot to do with it.

I run 10.5.8 Leopard on my Quad G5 though, it's got the RAM and horsepower and on there, Leopard runs MUCH better than Tiger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.