PDA

View Full Version : [phones] Lumia 521 - am I missing something?

BigRed1
Apr 26, 2013, 03:21 PM
I need a new phone for my wife on TMobile. We will be paying the I subsidized price. The Lumia 521 will be $149 unsubsidized. She will be moving from a first gen iPhone and had previously had an Android device.

The iPhone is just too expensive. The Nexus 4 is a bit tough for us to cover as well ($299 unsubsidized).

I can wait a month to get the phone. I think these W8 phones look nice. I understand that there aren't a lot of apps for it. Is there any other reason to look passed this phone?

MuffCabbage
Apr 26, 2013, 03:45 PM
The biggest drawback vs other Windows Phones will be that it wont be able to run all the games that WP has because it only has 512mb ram, but I doubt your wife cares that much.

For the price it looks pretty good though. WP runs smooth so the experience wont be hampered like a similarly spec'ed Android.

New review of the 520 by Engadget covers a lot.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/26/nokia-lumia-520-review/

Battery life and screen on the 520 are noted as not being stellar, but what do you expect from a $150 phone?

Maybe the 521 will be better though.

BigRed1
Apr 27, 2013, 11:13 AM
Thanks - I saw that review, but it explicitly said that the 520 was NOT the 521, but didn't say the difference.

The biggest drawback I can find at the moment is the camera - only 5mp and no flash at all (what's that about?).

I think I'll end up waiting to see some more reviews of the camera and battery, rather than wasting time looking for a used iPhone4 or fundraising for a Nexus 4.

I love the fact that it takes microSD (Nexus 4 - I'm looking at you).

TacticalDesire
Apr 27, 2013, 01:26 PM
Windows phone runs MUCH better on 512mb of ram compared to iOS and android. As long as everything is snappy I don't really see that as a con aside from web browsing with lots of tabs.