Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this week, Apple filed another revised plan for its "Campus 2" project in Cupertino, a new headquarters for the company focused on a massive ring-shaped building and designed to house 13,000 employees.

In line with that revised plan, Apple has once again solicited residents of Cupertino for feedback on the project now that additional details on environmental sustainability and neighborhood enhancements have been fleshed out. Apple made a similar mailing last May when the project was in an earlier stage of conceptualization.

Click for larger
This week's mailing includes a new letter from Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer outlining some of the highlights of the project for neighbors:
At Apple, the environment is a top priority, and we've designed Apple Campus 2 with cutting-edge features to make it energy-efficient and environmentally sustainable. Several of these green technologies are highlighted in this update.

As at our existing campus on Infinite Loop, we are committed to 100% renewable energy to power Apple Campus 2. This will include onsite generation from photovoltaics and fuel cells. As part of this effort, approximately 8 megawatts of photovoltaics will be installed, creating one the largest installations of its kind on a corporate campus anywhere in the world.

Apple started in Cupertino, and we are excited to continue to grow here. As we build the new campus, we also plan to invest in new roadways and intersection improvements, add new sidewalks and better bike lanes, and plant new trees in newly created medians in the surrounding neighborhood.
Click for larger
As with the previous mailing, Apple includes a postage-paid response card allowing neighbors to provide feedback on the project and invites neighbors to view additional project details on the City of Cupertino's website.

(Thanks, Ian!)

Article Link: Apple Again Solicits Cupertino Neighbors for Feedback on 'Campus 2' Project

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
I think it's cool that they are doing this. I know when local high schools want to build a bigger football stadium they have to buy all the houses around the area and it causes a big stink for everyone involved until they finally cave.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Why would any resident object is beyond me. Just beautiful, thought-out and well engineered.

Gibbyice

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Scotland, U.K
Brilliant looking building and the thought and detail that has gone into the plants and surrounding areas is unbelievable! Wish I lived in Cupertino:)

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I wish that Steve could have lived to see this campus be realized. You could tell he really loved it in his presentation for the city council. RIP.

And the council could only thing "does this give me free wifi". I saw that presentation to that council. If I was that council, I'd be ashamed of myself. How they acted and treated Jobs was disgusting and disgraceful.

ChurlishComment

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2013
Why is it still wasting money on the donut building?

Share price DOWN, products STALE, profits still being hoarded instead of properly distributed as dividends... Has the board asked the shareholders if it wants to continue to waste money on this vanity project that will have no benefit to the shareholders? Nokia who were once THE major phone manufacturer was forced to sell its prestige building a few years ago due to falling profits and share price.. will the Apple shareholders be so pleased with the donut-building when their shares are selling at $200, $100, $10? The Board needs a reality check, remember that they are there to represent the shareholders interests and to get some new and genuinely distinctive and attractive products out into the market.

The donut building is a white elephant vanity project that should be culled, unless Apple is trying to reform itself as a property developer.

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
Why would any resident object is beyond me. Just beautiful, thought-out and well engineered.

That is the whole point of the flyer is to keep people informed. The reality is neighbors will be burdened while construction is going on, which seems like for a significant while.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Share price DOWN, products STALE, profits still being hoarded instead of properly distributed as dividends... Has the board asked the shareholders if it wants to continue to waste money on this vanity project that will have no benefit to the shareholders? Nokia who were once THE major phone manufacturer was forced to sell its prestige building a few years ago due to falling profits and share price.. will the Apple shareholders be so pleased with the donut-building when their shares are selling at $200, $100, $10? The Board needs a reality check, remember that they are there to represent the shareholders interests and to get some new and genuinely distinctive and attractive products out into the market.

The donut building is a white elephant vanity project that should be culled, unless Apple is trying to reform itself as a property developer.

You are so off-base it's laughable. I'm glad you don't make decisions for Apple - you'd bankrupt them in a month.

There is no way the shares would sell for $200, $100 or $10 because of their large cash holdings. Unless, of course, YOU ran the company and gave all their cash away to 'investors', THEN the company would be at $10 a share.

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011

I hate to tell you, but the Board is not required to ask shareholders for permission and input on how to manage the company. If shareholders don't like the plans, Courts have held that their options are clear: sell the stock, and if they lost money, they can write it off on their taxes.

Apple also is not required to distribute more money through dividends than it thinks is a sound business strategy. Considering the nature of its business and the continuing lawsuit against it, it is pretty smart to hold on to a significant portion of cash. That gives it tremendous power in negotiating with suppliers. I'd also prefer to see it spend some of the money of strategic acquisitions. Further, if Jobs was alive running things, Apple likely wouldn't have given any dividend. People were complaining about it then, but Jobs didn't care.

The reality is Apple is competing for top notch talent that it hopes will spend their entire careers employed by Apple. Shoving them in some drab complex is not the way to do that. Especially considering its competition is Google, that has a very cool headquarters and showers its employees with perks. It is also important to show stewardship to your surrounding community. Henry Ford understood that.

Moreover, people want Apple to both not rush products out (AKA Maps), but also bring new and exciting products out everyday. People can't have it both ways. Apple generally has gone years between new product categories being added. Cook recently said we all can expect new products and services, including new product categories, in the fall through 2014.

Nokia lost its way because it became complacent. I see no evidence Apple has lost its way yet.

----------

You are so off-base it's laughable. I'm glad you don't make decisions for Apple - you'd bankrupt them in a month.

There is no way the shares would sell for $200, $100 or $10 because of their large cash holdings. Unless, of course, YOU ran the company and gave all their cash away to 'investors', THEN the company would be at $10 a share.

Exactly, if the shares ever trended that low, Apple would buy all the shares, as it is already starting to do with its just announced 50 billion dollar repurchase plan. The cash gives Apple a lot of capabilities.

cgmpowers

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2002
Texas

More land, better tax situation, and increasingly friendly for businesses..move to Texas, ditch California as its going bankrupt. Texas, well is not.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007

Lol at having a place to work being of no value to investors.

The smart investors are selling their grandmas kidneys to buy the super undervalued apple stock.

I am a big fan of stocks which pay dividends but dividends should be tied to earnings not just a general disbursement of available cash.

RolyPolyBird

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010

lol.. if the shareholders don't like it they know what to do. Its always sad to see somebody angry, especially on a weekend.

dumb terminal

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego, CA
More land, better tax situation, and increasingly friendly for businesses..move to Texas, ditch California as its going bankrupt. Texas, well is not.

Actually, we're just doing just fine, thank you. The situation here isn't nearly as bad as the media (or Rick Perry) would have you believe.

Mullerman

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2008
Mail

Still using the postal system as an effective form of communication, tactile and as interactive as digital!

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area

Cool. Joined MacRumors just to post about $10 Apple stock. Got a bunch of quotes too. Troll Mission Accomplished. We're all impressed :rolleyes:

----------

What I'm interested in is that round building with the reception desk. Is that where the new small keynotes will take place? I remember the plans containing a small, circular building with an underground theater. But this is the first rendering I've seen. Yerba Buena is nice, but this will be better than schlepping over to SF.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Cool. Joined MacRumors just to post about $10 Apple stock. Got a bunch of quotes too. Troll Mission Accomplished. We're all impressed :rolleyes:

Maybe so, but the post raised a valid point. This is a vanity project by any definition of the term, and the cost is phenomenally high, especially for a building of its size. It is not out of bounds in the least for shareholders of a public company to question whether it is a responsible use of capital. Having nothing whatsoever to do with the share price, I happen to think it is not responsible. Or for all that money, sadly, not a high quality exercise in architecture and land use planning. It is a dubiously conceived monument to Steve.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.